Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2012

Jane, I started PT 5 weeks after Stage 1. I had range of motion issues and pain associated w/BMX and AND. When I got in there she said she was going to release all of the scar tissue, not just work on the shoulder. I'm glad I didn't wait, but I was in pain. The longer scar tissue is there, the harder it is to release. My pain Dr and PT were very pleased I came in right away. Our bodies go through a lot of trauma.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2012

I started PT four weeks after stage 1. The PT told me the same thing - the older the scar tissue, the harder it is to deal with. She did some scar release work with me, but we mostly focused on on range of motion exercises. Even though I'm going back for stage 2 in a few weeks, I'm really glad I did the PT. My range of motion in my arms, chest and shoudlers is actually better now than it was before surgery. I'm still struggling a bit with tight hips. I'll go back for more PT after I heal from stage 2. 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2012

I had some trouble getting people to take me seriously about the scar tissue until later in the game. Thinking back, I think I did have some massage between stage 1 and stage 2.  But the general attitude was "it hasn't been that long, you're still healing."  It wasn't until I was 6 months out that I found someone who accepted it might be a problem that needs more than "time" to fix.  They were also a little afraid to touch me (with more than gentle massage) until I was totally cleared for strenuous exercise.

• Djweinstein
    Djweinstein Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2012

Hi all--has anyone developed those little ugly red veins post-surgery near their incisions?  I had some on my left breast after Stage 1...and now after Stage 2 I have them on both breasts and around my hip scars.  I'm only 2.5 weeks out from Stage 2, but since the ones on my left breast never went away after Stage 1, I'm concerned these will all stay.  I know it's a small thing, but after going through all of this, I don't want to look at my breasts and dislike how they look.  I've heard laser might help...has anyone tried this?  What were your resuslts?

Also--NEED2NEW--RE:  your question about timing for going back to work.  As I said, I'm 2.5 weeks out and doing some email (light) work from home.  I still get tired in the afternoons and some mild discomfort, so I'm going to take another week + off--so maybe 3-4 weeks off total. Luckily I have the sick time.  That's more than it sounds like most people take, but I pushed it last time so and paid for it so I don't want to do that again! :) 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2012

DJ.. one of my hips seems to have something like what you describe... Its on my butt and not that bad, but I am curious what it is.. I also have some dry spots that don't go away.

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2012

Thanks Beverly and Betsy, you are very sweet:)

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited April 2012

Need2new -  In my case I went back to work two weeks after my stage 2 revision. 

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited April 2012

Thanks everybody who posted re: scar tissue.  I appreciate the info!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2012

Happy Birthday Amy

Jade is Beautiful, love the name

Ladies I have decided to go thru with the 6th (I think) surgery I am suppose to get the date on Tuesday I would love to go when either Amy or Nordy are the but we (CWA union) are working under last years contract and 1 of the things they ( Verizon) wants to change is our insurance, I have had all of my surgeries covered 100% so have decided to do it before that changes 

Spring I will lt you know the date when I find out, Not sure who I am taking for care giver, as I onlky have a 15 year old boy. I have taken my aunt, my mom, my cousin, I dont want to inconvience people especially those who think I am nuts to go thru another surgery, But those people are  not the ones adjusting her breast in Target or Walmart either. Take care everyone

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2012

Sallym - you crack me up! Can't say I have adjusted in walmart but I am always adjusting, rubbing or taking off my bra at work! My co-workers have just gotten used to it. Laughing

Dj - glad you are doing okay. I have booked 3 weeks off from work and worry as I have a very physical job. I still at 12 weeks out from stage 1 am a little sore. Have burned through 520 hours on extended sickleave and lots of vacation time in the last 2 years with all my surgeries and stuff so am anxious to not be out too long.

Thanks all for the answers, I am sure 3-4 weeks ill be fine.  

• bdavis
    edited April 2012

Karen... Also, I took 2 weeks off, but don't have a physical job... there are weight restrictions for 6 weeks... and if you get fat grafting, you have to be careful not to overdo or it will re-absorb.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2012

Sally - what is up now????  

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2012

‎7 years ago today I was laying on the examining table while the Dr. informed me that I had aggressive breast cancer. The first words out of my mouth were "Who is going to raise my baby?" When she told me it would be me, I didn't quite believe her... But so far, so good! I am wishing for at least another 14... And more if I can get them!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2012

Oh Nordy,

Congratulations on being 7 years out! You are an amazing woman in so many ways and inspiring to all of us. Plus I love how scrappy you are, especially since you look like such an angel! But you need to be much more greedy in how many years you wish for. Like how about at least 50?

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2012

I mean 50 MORE!

• Jane123
    edited April 2012

Yaaaaaaay, Nordy!  Thanks for the inspiration.

• bdavis
    edited April 2012

I'm going for 50 more...

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2012

That makes me feel really good Nordy. You'll be seeing that "baby" have her own babies!!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2012

CONGRATS NORDY!  I AGREE AT LEAST 50 MORE YEARS.

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Thank you everyone!!!

• need2new
    edited April 2012

Nordy - Congrats - be greedy, go for the 50!!!!!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2012

Nordy~ 14 more will go by in the blink of an eye you need to at least double that number :)

Way to go my friend!!! 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2012

Nordy, Congrats on 7 years! You're an inspiration to me! heck with 14, I'm saying 70 more!!! 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2012

Love you Nordy girl and am so happy for you!

Here's to many many many many more!!!!

Cheers!

Marcia

• need2new
    edited April 2012

I am getting crazy you guys, leave in two weeks. So they lipo you to make all the dog ears go away, move fat from my butt to my hips , fix the boob scar and shove me back in the black girdle?

How did you buy the comfy marena ones when you got home? Or did anyone buy before? Do you relly get smaller at stage 2?  

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited April 2012

Hey ladies, coming up for air and hope you all are doing well.  I'm in NY the week working on
    opening a business - in addition to my crappy more-than-full time job and the construction we are doing at home.  Way too much going on - never enough time...

Anyways, I've been reading with great interest the threads on abdominal tightness.  I'm about a week away from my year anniversary of my stage 1 surgery and about 9 months since stage 2 and the abs tightness, well it's still a big issue.  In fact, I've lost 20 pounds in the last couple of months and the main reason was to try to alleviate that tightness but I actually think it might be worse now. It really feels like someone is stretching a wire across my DIEP scar line and it digs into me all the time. 

I did tons of PT, myofascial release, etc. so I was not expecting this to be an issue.  Since the weight loss my abdomen is definitely weirder looking - puffy both above and below the incision - sent pics to Dr. D and spoke to Laura last week.  They are supposed to discuss tomorrow.  It's looking more and more like I will need some sort of scar revision surgery, waiting to hear.  Did any of you have scar-only revision surgery and have any insight to share?

• Jane123
    edited April 2012

Dana,  I am bummed for you.  You have had such a positive attitude and seem to have done everything right.  I am confident you will get better.  

Have you tried walking?  I know it sounds simple & maybe even silly (& it certainly takes time) but it has REALLY helped me - both physically and mentally (I hope to try your yoga some day). I really stride out, good posture, swing my arms.  It was impossible at first due to the belly tightness.  I would have to bend forward every now and then to take in a deep breath.  I go once or twice a day for 2 to 3 miles each time - OUTSIDE - and I try to walk with friends.  I think it is helping my scars stay loose (we will see as time passes...) and has helped undo a bit of the iron bikini feeling when I move.  It also really helped my outlook to do something so practical and normal.  I am still numb in many places but when I am walking I feel free and in charge of my life and do not notice all my physical issues.  Sorry if this is soap-boxy - I really hope you find relief and I do not mean to sound like you have not done enough. Surgery may be the way to begin to find your way out of the tightness as every body responds differently to wound healing.  I wish you the best.  Call me if you have time!   

Karen, You are going to do great. One more surgery, you can do it.  Peace,  Tamara 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited April 2012

I got to meet Jade the day after posting the pic.  She was only a couple of hours old when my brother took that photo.  At that stage, my kids had swollen eyes, flat noses...she is just so pretty!   By all reports, she is a very calm baby too...so my sister-in-law Stacy will start blogging for us again tomorrow.  YAY! 

I learned at the baby shower that one of Stacy's aunts (father's side) had ovarian cancer in her early 20s and died.   Stacy's dad is no longer alive to test for BRCA.....she has two sisters and they are all completely unaware of this stuff.  Of course, my thoughts go to baby Jade, as if the history of cancer on our side isn't bad enough.....at some point I'm going to have to encourage Stacy to be tested, but I have a feeling she won't do it.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited April 2012

Karen, I know my stage 2 is just a few days after yours but I just can't seem to think about it.

I think dragging my husband to the ER with appendicitis has been suitably distracting. But I don't recommend it as a general strategy.

(That was Friday. He's back home now, moaning on the sofa and with a fresh appreciation of what I went through.) 

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Oh, Sandy. I get that! I am scared for my girls too! Although I was brca negative, my family history includes my aunt, my sister and me, all with breast ca, another aunt and cousin with endometrial ca. Then there is my hubby's side. :(. Two of his aunts have had breast cancer, one aunt had ovarian cancer. None of his family has been tested. My girls are going to have to be so vigilant!