Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2012

Jeskachi... oh boy... thanks for referring that other thread back to my links... I just wrote a book.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2012

Nordy: ha :)  talk about misinformation! 

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Sometimes I am a bit too harsh... Do you think I was this time too? LOL... I really need to get a filter...

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited April 2012

Nordy-  Nope, just right.

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

I just had someone PM me saying that I am misinformed about breast tissue... which wasn't what I was talking about was it? And sent me a bunch of definitions on types of tissue - I am assuming because I don't believe a breast should have to be made from muscle when we have so many other options AND because I know for a fact that muscle imbalance causes big issues... But even so, the PM was confusing to say the least. I believe I was simply clarifying the reconstruction methods of DIEP, SGAP and hip flaps. Where is the little yellow guy that rolls his eyes?

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2012

Hi, I need some info on these drains.  I just passed the five week mark and the little suckers are still putting out between 20-30 cc daily.  I was hoping to get them out this week since I have a black tie thing to go to.  Not sure it's looking good for that.  The what to wear thing gets a little difficult.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I'd rather not go the seroma route although I know that I don't have full say in that.  Thanks for letting me whine! Now with you ladies talking about the iron bikini I'm getting worried about my baby flap.

Tig,  I'd like to be in your spot about now. Congrats! 

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Oh, Downey, I had my drains in forever, so I understand! The more you can compress, the faster they will dry up. Have you tried adding some extra compression? I know some women on here used different techniques like folded up washcloths and maxipads to add some compression under the compression garment. I am sure someone will come along and let you know what worked for them. I think someone said less activity? But I was really horrible with that one... so it wasn't really an option for me. Hang in there!

• Downey30
    edited April 2012

Thanks Nordy.......by the way you are a great writer.  No filter needed and it all had to be said.

Same goes for Jeskachi....great writing. 

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Thank you Downey! And you ladies are THE BEST, but you know this, right?!

Caitlin - thinking of you... I hope your day went smoothly. Sporting my lovely green panties (what there is of them... teehee). I feel Irish!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2012

Downey.. when I got to 8 weeks, I used 3 folded ABD pads per butt cheek... AND wore flexees OVER the girdle... It helped a lot.

• Del11
    edited April 2012

Downey- do you have a dress with a full skirt? Patterns hide better than solids. Maybe a shawl worn as a sash at your hips?I had some success with a black sweater that was full and ruffley at the bottom, which hit at the high hip, I pinned the drain at waist level. It is hard tho! Drains and formalwear don't play well together.

• Downey30
    edited April 2012

I have my DOM on and two folded washclothes on each side....maybe I should go for three!  Everyone knows the saying "it is what it is".  I'll look through my closet.  If all else fails a tent should do. HA

Are aches and pains occuring in the breasts sometimes normal? 

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2012

Nordy, I couldn't figure out what you were talking about a few posts ago so i looked at what you were posting.  OMG...i got so fired up i had to post my thoughts about flaps too.  You rock BTW!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2012

Me too.

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Yeah.... her post obviously hit a nerve with me... which is so hard to do.... EmbarassedLOLOLOLOL...  Thank you all for your input as well!

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited April 2012

Ann-Congrats on your insurance. That is great news!! 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am working hard on things here.

• LEisenbarth
    LEisenbarth Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2012

I am looking a have this done but am very concerned with cost.  I have blue Cross any idea at the out of pocket costs?

• LEisenbarth
    edited April 2012

I am looking a have this done but am very concerned with cost.  I have blue Cross any idea at the out of pocket costs?

• LEisenbarth
    edited April 2012

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited April 2012

I chimed in as well on "PS says I am too thin".  Sad to see the misinformation but good to see the responses.  Count me in as a NOLA cheerleader!

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Ha. It was just insinuated on the other thread that I am stupid... And that all of us that have first hand knowledge of our surgeries, really just have "precious observations". I sense a lot of misplaced anger from the author...

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited April 2012

Nordy! Big hugs and cheers for debunking misinformation! I love your passion.

Caitlin, I wore my green panties yesterday.

To the poster that did not have family support: I did not have your experience but have great compassion for what you are going through. I suspect you may need to draw a boundary with them, such as agree to disagree and no longer discuss recon with them. And then draw support where you can, such as this thread.

Iron bikini?? I'm guessing that refers to the stuck feeling, the scar tissue. It's been 11 months (wow!) since my BMX immediate DIEP and 4 months since stage 2. I am still going to physical therapy to loosen some scar tissue but mainly to correct a LOT of muscle tightness around ribs. Even a year out my body still remembers the BMX and AND, and continues to try to protect by tightening up. PT has helped me tremendously. My flexibility is finally increasing, being 7 months out from chemo. I continue to be surprised how my PT finds spots of scar tissue to release. Spots like around my belly button that I assumed were just stuck. I think as much as we were determined to find the best docs for recon, we can find the best PTs for full recovery.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited April 2012

Downey -- I had my drains in FOREVER it seemed and didn't get relief, even with extra padding, until I requested a size smaller DOM. Presto! Less than a week later my output was almost nil and out those suckers came! I had been running about the same output as you are now, but the smaller DOM did the trick. The Center sent it. FWIW ...

Go Caitlin ... got greenies on today!

• Jane123
    edited April 2012

Nordy, Good job getting the facts and presenting them as just that, facts.  Facts can speak for themselves but in this case they needed a clear voice.  Wishing you peace.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2012

Nordy - I is college edumacated too! lol - thank you for taking the time to try to help the ones who truly are lost in the maze of decisions to get truthful information.

And to the rest of the NOLA cheerleaders count me in I am still flashin the girls to whom ever asks and believe that flap is a good choice for many people.

Jane123 - you are an animal! I still have the seroma on my hip and it is sore all the time. Trying to push myself as much as possible for my stage 2 in 3 1/2 weeks - aaaahhhhhh. 

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Needtwo! Lolololol! That was not something I really wanted to throw out there, but I felt it was necessary!

• Jane123
    edited April 2012

need2new, Yuck on the seroma.  Sorry to hear that is still going on. I think you look great so I can understand why you are flashin!  

Hipsters,  When you had stage 2 did your incision get extended all the way across your backside for the butt lift / fat re-distribution?  I have an incision all the way around except for about 5 inches over the middle of my lower back (where I have a nice "bunny tail" now).  I am 6 wks out and am thinking I will schedule stage 2 around October.  Thanks! 

• Nordy
    edited April 2012

Jane - mine does not go all the way across my buttocks, but I know sometimes they do that. I guess it would all just depend on our anatomy? I no longer have a bunny tail though!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited April 2012

Drains out!  Wahoooooooooooooo.

• Del11
    edited April 2012

woohoo Adey!  I bet the world just got a little bit sunnier :)  Wear something slinky to celebrate! ;)