Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2012

Hmmm. I have a belly dance show booked for 10 weeks after my stage II. I've been assuming that was plenty of time. I would need to do some rehearsing in the weeks prior to that and was assuming I could start that at about four or five weeks. I'm planning to have a mini tummy tuck as well as the lipo, some boob edits and shark bite fix. Does this sound realistic? My costume exposes the belly area. I don't need to look perfect or anything but I do need to be able to move.

Also I have theater tix for exactly one week post-op. Can do? I'm not sure I would have wanted to do that one week post stage I.  

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited May 2012

I agree with Betsy on the deep bruising. I wore the compression longer because it helped with the soreness. AND, I applied liberal amounts of arnica gel to the bruising, especially on my thighs and it worked wonders -- the horrible purple/blue was almost unnoticeable after the second week that I applied the gel. Didn't use the gel until small canual incisions were well-scabbed over. But, it DOES take a while. I am about 4 months out from Stage 2 and looking at 2a sometime in the late fall, hopefully early November. Lost weight and it made the contra breast a teensy thang! LOL! Plus some of the scar tissue in my left butt cheek is really ropey and hard. Gotta get some photos done and send in to see what the docs say!

Been absolutely going flat out trying to get the B&B open June 1 so am guilty of neglecting the forum, and I need to make sure I take the time because I need you all!

Happy Birthday, Spring! I'll bet each one gets happier!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012

Eva... its hard to say. At 4-5 weeks I was still in my compression... I think there is a big difference between week 4 and 10 though. week 10, no problem... week 4, maybe not. And tickets a week out, as long as I didn't move I was fine... it was the sitting on a toilet and standing up and sitting down that I found to be an issue.. but you are having a tummy tuck... so one week out may be too early.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2012

I'm hoping to be able to use the tickets, but I know I can find someone to take mine if it turns out I'm not up to it. I did return to belly dance practice while I was still in compression and drains after stage I, but just the last week or so of that. It wasn't pretty, but it felt good to start moving again. The drains sites got pretty sore though, so I took it easy. If it's just compression I think I could handle that. But I don't want to be on stage with visible bruising or too much tightness to be able to move easily. I guess it will be what it will be.

Celtic, did you use the arnica gel? How often did you apply it? 

• celtic_antique
    edited May 2012

Eva -- yes, I took the arnica tablets that the Center had sent, but didn't think they were awfully effective. The gel, OTOH, was VERY effective. My husband noticed after only three days that there was drastic improvement. I put it on every morning after showering and under the compression garments, then at night before I went to bed. It isn't sticky and dries quickly and actually felt good, so I would sleep better. B ut at least once a day on the torso, thighs, knees and upper arms (Dr. D. lipoed those "old lady" elbow fatty deposits -- now I jUst have the "chicken wings"!). I swear by arnica gel for all bruising (an fair-skinned and do bruise easily as a red-head!), but it really was a life-saver after Stage 2!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Maggie.. I was thinking about lipo'ing the elbow fat... what about your nodes? Did you not worry about LE? And after he lipo'd the elbow, did you wear compression? And did the skin snug up or is the skin loose?

• celtic_antique
    edited May 2012

Eva -- yes, I took the arnica tablets that the Center had sent, but didn't think they were awfully effective. The gel, OTOH, was VERY effective. My husband noticed after only three days that there was drastic improvement. I put it on every morning after showering and under the compression garments, then at night before I went to bed. It isn't sticky and dries quickly and actually felt good, so I would sleep better. B ut at least once a day on the torso, thighs, knees and upper arms (Dr. D. lipoed those "old lady" elbow fatty deposits -- now I jUst have the "chicken wings"!). I swear by arnica gel for all bruising (an fair-skinned and do bruise easily as a red-head!), but it really was a life-saver after Stage 2!

• celtic_antique
    edited May 2012

Betsy -- Skin is skin, but the bulge is gone and I am working the triceps hard to try to help it out, using firming creams, etc. What it did do was change the SHAPE there so I didn't have the "old lady" upper arm! I had compression immediately after the surgery, but it was off by the time I left the hospital. I only had one node taken out on my cancer side, and am mindful about LE, but, no, I didn't worry about it. I try to observe the little things that were taught at the Center in my consult, and it really wasn't that much fat, to tell the truth, but it did make a difference in how I perceived and viewed and the appearance of the elbow and upper arm.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

hmmm. I only had two nodes taken, so I just may need him to take some fat out next time around... I do a lot of upper body exercise, bicep, tricep but the elbows are just too fat... just above the elbow on the back side... Its genetic...

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited May 2012

Bummed out today. Had grievance hearing and still denied. Keeping changing the reason. 1st denial stated HMO does not allow out of network benefits. Next PS wrote GREAT referral letter to NOLA and told they were still denying b/c I could have implants in-network. Went to hearing today and thought it went well. 3rd denial they are saying it is b/c they believe my PS could do hip flaps at local hospital even though its even never been done there. Said that they would be willing to medical director talk with my PS. I feel like he already wrote a referral letter and now I'm asking him to do more. I know I will just wonder what they will say after that.

The fact that they keep changing their story is upsetting. Consulted with lawyer already said if we took it to court would have major legal costs 20k or more. 

Just needed to vent. I am not going to stop just emotional guess.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Maybe find a lawyer who would do it pro bono... That just stinks.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2012

Thanks for the Bday wishes!

We had over a month break! But here are the up and comers!

May 9 - Need2New - Stage 2 , Dr. S., NOLA.

May 11 - EvaM - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2012

Kerry A - this just sucks? Who is your insurance company? Honestly - they are trying to wear you out as they do not want to pay the cost of this. Have you contacted your states insurance commission yet? That would be my next move. So, so sorry this is an issue for you. 

I have been considering going back to get an MPH so I can try to change the system. It makes me so crazy. 

• need2new
    edited May 2012

I am leaving Monday and am getting so antsy about it all reading the last few posts. If I am going to be sore for a month not sure how I will do it. They did tell me the first 5 days were very sore and then better. Compression for two weeks. I have never seen a lipo not wear compression for less than 6 weeks. I feel this way all because I know I have to go back to work 2 weeks after surgery o the 19th.....calgon take me away.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited May 2012

need2new - being sore for a month or longer is much better than not breathing.  You've already accomplished so much so finish your journey strong.  Returning to work will probably bring normal back to you so think of it as choosing to go back to work and not having to go back to work.  Best wishes sister and lots of hugs.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2012

Bdavis-you mentioned you were having stage IIb done what exactly is that. I just had stage II done in March and was told I'm done unless I wanted tattooing to even out the color.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2012

OMG. Kerry. Has your insurance company reps lost their @&$)(;;:(;)!($&&! minds??? That is the most assinine response I have ever heard. No, don't you dare feel bad going back to your local PS and having him write another letter - saying that he does NOT do hip flaps, has never done a hip flap and that your chances of a successful reconstruction is HIGHLY dependent on the experience of your specially trained microvascular reconstructive surgeon and the surgical team. There are many, many women on here that can attest to the difference it makes to have an experienced surgeon from the very start. Your insurance reps. Get paid to tell you "no". You keep on them. I would definitely report them to your state insurance commissioner. They may not be able to do anything, but you need to try! What state are you in? Have you checked your state's laws in addition to the federal ones? And yes, see if someone would be willing to take your case probono. Also when they check with the medical director of the hospital, maybe someone needs to remind that person that it will be very costly if they screw up, specifically since they have zero experience doing hip flaps. Somehow your insurance company needs to get it through their heads that it will cost MORE for them to fix an initial screw up than it will for you to start out in the right place first. Just ask people like Sandy who had to have multiple revisions because her first PS was so inept. Good gravy... Shaking my head. Who has ever heard of such a thing? It is absurd that they even came to that conclusion...

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited May 2012

HMOs. It's their job to keep you local. It's what you have to realize when you sign up for one. It's how they keep their costs and your deductibles low. I wish we could reach out to every woman the minute she's diagnosed to change ASAP (open enrollments) if possible to PPOs if she even thinks she may want reconstruction.

I know that's not always possible, and I know I've gotten cynical about HMOs in general for anything other than routine care. But them wanting your PS to do hip flaps when he (and the staff) are not trained will just cost them bigger bucks in the long run to pay for revisions or flap failures, more anesthesia, longer hospital stays, more risk of infection--I could go on and on.

This just infuriates me on principle. (I'm not trying to dis anyone's choice of using an HMO in general. They serve a great purpose. Till you want to do something outside their realm.)

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Mstrouble... I had stage II in November when he did revisions to breast, scars, buttocks, lipo, nipple... But now that 6 months have passed, I still have necrosis in my left breast, so I need them to either add a baby flap or remove the dead tissue and add fat grafting... Plus I am still having issues with my abdomen, so I may need plication... Stage IIb is for anything that needs further revision.

• KSue
    KSue Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2012

It has been a long time since I have posted!  I took a little break and tried not to focus too much on the upcoming Stage 1 surgery. 

Caitlin, I am glad that you are doing well.  I will be traveling to SanAntonio next week for work and fun.  I plan to pack the green panties for the 8th!  I too had triple negative breast cancer - diagnosed in July 2009 and the docs said that b/c my cancer was high grade it was more likely to respond to chemo.  So far, so good.  Cancer free - although am kind of dreading the path report after the masectomy.  Placing that on the back burner.

I have done a little preparaton for Stage 1 - bought some silky pj's.  Still need to work on purchasing some clothes.  I had a mini meltdown at Macy's in the PJ dept - glad no one was around.  I also bought a back and belly pillow - it is huge!  Since surgery is June 5, I am taking June off work and July if needed.  I am hoping to at least be able to go in partial days. 

I have lots of plans in the months after surgery so not sure when I will schedule Stage 2 - have to make it through stage 1 first!  I would like to go to the FORCE conference in October, so that is probably out.  My family usually travels somewhere tropical over Christmas, so December is probably out.  It may have to wait until spring or next summer unless things look really bad.  I am nervous about how I will look.  For the hip flap folks, what can I expect in terms of how clothes will fit and look?  Am I crazy to think about wearing a swim suit in December prior to stage 2?

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2012

Hey!  Can the person who had a ooph/hyst at stage 2 please pm me?  I have some questions and I know someone has had this done but can't remember who.  Thanks!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Ksue.. After Stage I, you butt will be flat.. making for a thinner profile... I had trouble with pants staying up, but even after stage II, my pants slip down.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2012

Ladies, I will be on starting this weekend, through next. I may not be on every day. Please welcome newcomers and support each other, as you always do so beautifullyl!

If there are any dates, it is best to PM me so I don't miss them. Just sayin'!

Love to all, you brave lovely women!  

• need2new
    edited May 2012
    Spring ..... I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday!!! many more and thank you for all you do.Kiss
  • bdavis
    edited May 2012

I just got a coupon from Marena for 25%off in my email inbox... so if anyone needs to buy compression you can use the code THANKYOUMOM until May 15.

• ch968
    ch968 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2012

Hi Kerry- I am new to this site. I will be going to NOLA in July for hip flaps. Just wanted you say that I first requested approval for the surgery back in October 2011 and after many months of the similar run around by my insurance co. and my HR department (company is self-insured), I finally prevailed and got approval a couple of weeks ago to go. There were times I was ready to give up the fight as it was becoming emotionally exhausting. I completely understand what you are feeling right now, but don't give up.It sounds like the people determining your breast reconstruction type have no clue about the complexity of this type of surgery. I can't imagine the plastic surgeon they are suggesting would even attempt this on you if he/she doesn't perform this surgery.

• ch968
    ch968 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2012

Not to be completely vain,but will the butt have a better shape after stage 2 or will it always be flat in appearance? Does exercise help shape it up a little? Like squats? Dr. D said I would get a butt lift and that I could say goodbye to the cellulite, but he didn't mention the flatness afterwards! I hope I won't have to be pulling up my pants all the time, or afraid I might lose my drawers!

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

It improves after stage II and the butt lift... I do need a stage IIb and a little twekaing may be in order with the butt... but it is not flat anymore. BUT I do have trouble with some of my pants... but I had Hip flaps and DIEP.

• need2new
    edited May 2012

Betsy = thanks for the code. Did anyone wear the same size black dom the center puts you in after stage 2 or did you go down a size? I want to order the marena before I go but not sure what size.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

They gave me a different brand after stage II.. the Veronique and it was too big, so I quickly switched to Marena when I got home. I would wait and then call Marena on the phone with your measurements (don't use the online calculator.. it sizes you too big) And measure yourself without a garment on... the garment shrinks your numbers.