Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012

I lifted my arms... and it was fine... I wasn't lifting them straight up, but enough to get a loose fitting shirt on or nighgown. Maybe it depends on your surgeon, or the hospital... Jeskachi, wasn't your first stage I in Charleston? And did they restrict you from raising your arms after your second stage I in NOLA?

And I too had the wig, heat, chemopause in the middle of NOLA summer.. After surgery, I switched to no wig or scarf. At that point in a city where I didn't live, I just didn't care.

About sundresses,I found those tricky with the drain pouch and the dress looking normal. I preferred shorts and a shirt.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2012

I had no orders about not lifting my arms, but I couldn't lift them past my shoulders. That was high enough to wash my hair if I bent my head forward, but I wouldn't have wanted to try to put on a shirt over my head. Button or zip up! 

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

I live in Seattle. I don't OWN and shorts or loose cool tops that would have any chance of looking normal and I don't really want to shop for the two days I'm going to be there post op. I don't expect to get out that much after the surgery this time since my husband can't tolerate hot weather at ALL and I'm not too crazy about it myself. I get out of the hospital on Saturday and fly home Monday. I'll look and see what I have but I expect I'll just cope with looking lumpy. 

Best wishes to Karen. I'll see you Thursday! 

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited May 2012

For my stage 1 I went crazy and bought a bunch of zip up/buttom up things but wound up not wearing 90% of it.  The one thing that I found REALLY useful was short sleeved hoodies - my surgeries were in May and August so I was used to hot.  I found them at Old Navy and Macys and they were well worth the investment.  I had the best luck with loose tanks - bought at Target for $3.99 - i got them in a size too big and I was able to pull the up from the bottom and the had enough stretch to get my arms in one at a time.  However, I could gently lift my arms over my head about a week after surgery as long I was careful and the top wasn't too tight. 

Re - sundresses - they would have to loose.  I had the best luck with empires waisted ones to hide all the drains and lumpyness but a skirt or yoga crops with a tank and a short sleeve hoodie was my NOLA summer post surgery uniform. 

Still waiting on my revision dates - hoping for some time in early July as that will work best for me with work and should give me enough time to recover before the FORCE conference - gotta teach 3 yoga classes!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited May 2012

bdavis - yes, they told me not to raise my arms above my shoulders after my first stage 1.  I don't remember what they did after my NOLA DIEP, they were pretty hands off.  Maybe they assumed I already knew what to do/not to do...?  I got a big stack of papers, maybe it was mentioned in there? Anyway, after one failure I wasn't about to jeopardize fragile blood vessel connections that early in the process.

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

Well.. good point... and my left breast does have issues, so maybe better not to lift too high. Maybe I messed something up.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2012

I did the step into stuff. I could wash my hair too just did not raise my arms super high, I let my pain be the guide. I prefer soft cottony tees etc so that is what I wore. I am finally packed, did a bit of revising and it will be fine. So hard to send my two girls off to school this morning, weepy momma. 

Eva - yes please find me Thursday. I will be atrocious looking but you will not care ;) 

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2012

I found a long jersey skirt that has a wide waistband like yoga pants that folds over, perfect to tuck the drains into.  I wore pullovers for both stage 1 and 2 but they were very loose and easy to get into.  Important..... slip on shoes.

Good luck this week Karen and Eva!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2012

Thanks to all for the advice on the clothing.

I hope you all don't consider this to be off topic... The insurance part of all of this is freaking me out.  I got a kind of strange answer from CRBS (Dr. DellaCroce's), but they said they'll call me in a week.  I called Dr. Massey's office and asked if since they're out of network, their patients are really paying their out of network co-pay for these procedures... for example if it's $150,000, people are paying $45,000; she said yes.  

So even though this is extremely important, I not sure I want to pay what amounts to a year's college tuition for my daughter.  or am I the only one who, despite the fact that we have a good income and live comfortably, has wrestled with this?

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited May 2012

Well I can finally post that I have a date to go to NOLA - May 16th is surgery!!  I have been reading this thread for the last year and never could post anything positive because I am the one in a million - failed expander's, failed implants, infections, failed tram, hernia'S 2 huge hernias's from the failed tram, insurance and so on and on...  I never thought I would be able to post a date for Springtime to post but go ahead because I am booked, reserved and ready to go!

I have to get a Lat flap because of my situation but as long as I can fix this deformity on my chest that will be alright by me.  Has anyone had the Lat flap?  Just wondering what to expect.  Also I am staying at the Hope Lodge before surgery a few nights than Homeward Suites after surgery.  Just wondering if that is a good choice also.  Any suggestions??

Geralyn 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited May 2012

jenlee- do you have an annual max on out-of-pocket?  That's what most of us end up fulfilling with these surgeries, which limits what we have to pay in a year out of pocket.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited May 2012

Jenlee,  My insurance has been very difficult to work with since the Doc's are in-network but The Center was not.  They absolutely refused to cover The Center!  Period!!!  I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you about the out-of-network co-pays.  It does sound a bit odd to me, but what do I know!!  Maybe someone will chime in here who has more experience on the subject.  I wish you all the best and hope you can get through this easier than I did!!!  But hang in there and see if they will work with you on the cost.

Ladies,  This is an odd question to ask but did you take your everyday panties to wear post-op (DIEP) or is there a certain cut that works better than others??  I wear "Granny Panties" but I'm thinking that the waist band won't be the right thing to have post-op?  Any suggestions??

Katiejene

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2012

gmp300, Congratulations on your surgery date. I am a few weeks behind you, June 7 in Charleston. I love Lexington! Grew  up in Detroit area and went there every summer as a kid. My brother has a cottage there and it is always my fav place to go when visiting.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2012

Jenlee,

I dont know what insurance you have, but have you considered talking with Dr Kline and Craigie's office in Charleston? I was out of network with NOLA but not with these docs.I will have surgery one month from today exactly. Count down begins....

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited May 2012

Katiejane,  I (like many) went commando.  I had DIEP + hip flap so had the crotchless compression garment.  I had heard tales of forgetting about the underwear since post op you are out of it and numb & it was one less thing to fiddle with when using the restroom.  Drains are enough to deal with!  

gmp300, My cousin had lat flap with expanders/implants in Georgia.  She had a recovery that she thought was in between implants and flap and she is very pleased. 

• Katiejane
    edited May 2012

Jane123,  Thanks for the input!!!   Commando sounds like the best idea I've heard!

Katiejane

• Katiejane
    edited May 2012

Jane123,  Thanks for the input!!!   Commando sounds like the best idea I've heard!

Katiejane

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2012

I didn't have the girdle after Stage 1 DIEP. I just bought and wore some hanes soft cotton high cut modern briefs. I didn't want to mess up nice panties, with the betadine and whatever post surgical fun. They didn't hit any wrong spots for me. After stage 2 I did get the girdle and usually went commando!

I wore some t-shirts that were stretchy and scoop neck. Or stretchy tanks. If I needed to be more decent I'd wear another button down or zipper layer. I also spent time in my sleeveless stretchy short nightgown. I wore yoga and lounge pants, loose cotton athletic shorts and pj shorts. I didn't over buy but made sure I had options.

• gmp300
    edited May 2012

Hello Cascader!   You'll have to look me up next time your in Lexington!!  It's great here in the summer!  Lot's of fun!  I would love to meet you.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery too!

Geralyn 

• gmp300
    edited May 2012

Hi Jane123,

Thanks for the input.   that's good to know.  I am not getting an expander or an implant.  I basically need more skin and shaping so I am hoping ir won't be to bad.

Geralyn 

• EvaM
    edited May 2012

Well, I went to the local thrift shop too see if I could find a cool top long enough and wide enough to cover the drains, but didn't find anything. The sun dresses will have to do I'll just have to be too hot. I've got clothes I can wear once I get home. The weather is still cool enough for long sleeves. 

I definitely second going commando. I sure did. The one time I didn't turned into a bathroom disaster that required immediate showering and laundry! 

• bdavis
    edited May 2012

I bought extra large undies... and did not go commando... personal preference.

• Dana25
    Dana25 Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2012

Anyone going to Dr. M  -  The Doctor is In on Saturday in San Francisco?

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2012

Need2New & EvaM,  Sending good thoughts and well wishes your way......have a speedy recovery.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2012

I love commando! I tried to put on underwear... Lololol! A thong just didn't cut it and granny panties was just TOO much in the New Orleans August heat. So commando was the best option and It was perfect for me!

As for out of pocket - if you are going through Dr. Massey's office - I cannot tell you how it works. But the docs at the center will work with you. You just need to talk to them about it. We are all different and all have different insurance as well as financial circumstances. Each case is individual.

I pulled shirts on overhead after my stage 1. I don't know if it would make a difference if you are delayed reconstruction vs having mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. (I was delayed). I don't even know that I own a button down shirt... maybe one? Anyway, Eva, have you tried Kohls or JCPenny? They have some pretty cute tops that fit nicely at the top but are a bit longer and wider (think flowy) at the bottom. And I think they are around $20-$25. Maybe try there? I don't wear too many flowy things - I just don't care if my drains show through... Lol, but I do have one of those shirts and it is pretty cute. I do agree about the short sleeved hoodies - I have a few of them and practically lived in them after my stage 2. Just the right amount of warm!

• Katiejane
    edited May 2012

Well, I have never gone commando but it sounds like it's pretty popular!!  Nordy, where did you get your short sleeve hoodies???  Like you, I have no button up shirts!  I looked at TJ MAXX today and didn't see a thing.  I guess I'm just not sure what I'm suppose to be looking for---I'm such a cloth's hound!!   LOL!!!! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2012

I got my hoodies at the dress barn and my sweet friend from FL also sent me one!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2012

Geralyn - congrats on scheduling your surgery!

Well I' ve been thru this drain business a few times! If you get a really light weight cotton shirt with long sleeves and tail (u can use one of your husband's dress shirts or just get a cheap one at a thrift store), u can wear anything and just tie the shirt around your waist by the arms. Just looks like casual attire. A long sweater tied around the waist will also do, but better for cool evenings.

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2012

The Northwest girls all go commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it too and am sitting in NOLA right now commando and flew all day commando. My scars just hurt with undies. It is muggy here and trying to wind down.

I fall in the don't care drain camp too. Used safety pins or a litle bag attached to the girdle. I think sometimes there are no drains in stage 2.

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited May 2012

Well, I really have to visit this thread more often.  I end up reading for hours every time I visit.  Good stuff here and probably the best advice anyone can find!  Beautiful networking ladies and so positive. I have even started jotting down names with little notes as I read along lol. 

So Caitlin B - thank you so much for your comment about looking so young to be a 13 year survivor.  I was diagnosed at 31.  The triple neg and grade 3 plus age equaled the driving force for bilateral including removing the healthy left breast.  I had four rounds of AC and no taxol because my tumor marker dropped well into normal ranges (had a perfectly normal tumor marker this year too - it was 15). I had oncolgy visits every 3 months for 3 years, then every 6 months until year 5.  Now, I just go once a year. My care team all agreed that removing the healthy breast as well would give me the best chance of survival without reoccurrence. 

Cherrie - yes the look on that guys face when I whipped off my head covering and shouted some profanity was priceless. Better yet, my kids were cheering when I got back into the mini van. 

Safe travels to Need2New and EvaM.  I wish you both success for this step in your journey and a speedy recovery.

Harmonysun, I am scheduled for discharge on June 29th and fly home the morning of July 4th.  Maybe we can get together for a dinner and share our drain woes.  They seem to be the most nagging part of this journey.  I'm staying at the Prince Conti hotel in the french quarter.  I am hoping to get out and about post surgery days to see some antique shops, even if it's just for an hour.