Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2012

I second what Jeskachi just said about the OR staff and the ability to flip a patient. Tampa, do you have access to the picture forum? If not, PM Nowheregirl and ask for access. When you are on there, look up Laughlines' pictures. She is tall and thin, and her hip flaps look awesome.

• denouement
    denouement Member Posts: 190
    edited June 2012

Rogam - I've got tattoo's with Vinny scheduled on 7/11 - I was told he's at the center one week out of the month but that is supposed to be increasing shortly if it has not already.  I've having my 2b the day before but I will post all about my experience and let you all know how it goes.   

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2012

Okay, first off I just changed my name.  I figured if I was going to start posting more here, I should at least not have a boring one like Tampa. A friend gave me a little grief about that so I have now changed it.

Thanks you all for the great advice. It does help bring clarity to the process.  I have been on the picture forum since December, 2010 and have been looking at photos for hip flaps. I will make sure Laughline's are among those I see.

About the in-network/out-of-network.  NOLA participates in Multi Plan which is part of my insurance coverage.  So they are out-of-network but have a negotiated rate that they accept.  I have to cover the out-of-network deductible, but that is all.  I am curious about having it convert to in-network based on local availability.  If no one in-network does this within a certain mile radius, it may be able to be covered in-network.  NOLA has already looked into my coverage and the surgeon fee is Multi-Plan covered so needs only the out-of-network deductible. The hospital and the rest of it is in-network so has first dollar coverage the rest of 2012. I have no co-payments at all in my insurance plan, only the deductible limit.  After that, I have 100% coverage. The in-network deductible is not that high and I hit it every year, so waiting until 2013 to do anything with out-of-network coverage might be better so that I have the rest of the year for revisions.  Hmmm.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012

Jenlee... I am also on Tamoxifen.. hot flashes seem to be my only issue.

Monday's Child.... I had bilat hip flaps and DIEP flap (different surgeries) and the fact that Dr DellaCroce could do my bilat MX/Hip Flaps in about 10 hours (with the help of the NOLA team), I found that to be ideal... Also, about the potential for a flat butt, at stage II they do a butt lift, pulling the saggy fat that is down by the thigh, gets pulled up into the butt void... and its is also true that the NOLA docs will continue to work on you until you are perfect. That was HUGE with me... I have not heard of many doctors who will do that.Also... that is how my insurance worked.. Out of network, but third party with negotiated rates, and worked against my out-of network coinsurance...

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited June 2012

Rogam - I had tattoos with Vinnie.  No down time at all.  I had them done and went on my merry way.  Out of everything tattoos were definitely the easiest thing ever!

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2012

I didn't have GAP or hip flaps but have sure learned a lot about them reading this thread and on the ask the dr. site. It sounds like GAPs (and hips) are very technically demanding surgeries,  so even extra important that it is in the hands of someone who has done a bunch.

• amym159
    edited June 2012

BUTT VOID!!  Betsy I just really cracked up reading that!

• amym159
    edited June 2012

(((((((SALLY)))))))

Huge hugs from me too. Sounds like a nightmare. For me the emotional/mental after effects of surgery have been the most unexpected and in some ways most difficult part of recovery. I think anesthesia messes with our brain chemistry and feeling weepy/sad/anxious/depressed is completely normal. Just had my 5th surgery and this time I felt prepared for this and so not nearly so freaked out by it.

So cry, sleep, whatever. It will pass.

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2012

Could some of you who have been successful with insurance for NOLA please share who your carriers are? We currently have an HMO,we will have multiple choices(BCBS and Cigna are two but there are at least five options) this fall when we can switch coverage.My husband works for the post office.I am pretty sure I am going to Charleston,partly because I have family within driving distance but my husband wants me to cover all the bases.Thanks!!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

I have Aetna, but I believe Cigna is in network... I would suggest you ask the Center, and the office in Charleston, what carriers are best... also do realize that Aetna for  one patient may differ from Aetna for another... I have Aetna PPO, and apparently have Three Rivers also, which is the third party company that is in network with the docs... You can check out the website too that lists all of teh accepted insurance.

• EvaM
    EvaM Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2012

Hi all! It's been a while since I posted, though I still try to keep up daily with your adventures in Nolaland. It's amazing to see how many of you are through the looking glass now! I know some of you are going through the dreaded third week tango of doom. Rest is your friend. I'm afraid to look back in this thread to what I was writing three weeks post stage 1. I think I was convinced I was going to have permanent nerve pain. 

I'm six weeks post stage 2 now and feeling good. I've still got swelling going on and was wondering if there's anything I can do to speed up getting rid of it? It's not horrible, but that big body lift scar that goes all the way around starts to feel like an iron band sometimes. I know it's a blip in the bigger picture, but I hate it when one of the rose petals in my bed gets crumpled. My energy is pretty good though and I'm feeling stronger. I played a gig last night that had me standing on a concrete floor in high heels for six hours. I was a limp rag by the end, but still managed to pack and load out the gear and drive home without taking out any street lamps. I've still got the hard lump in my left breast. I need patience! Now! 

We're almost to 600 pages of responses to this thread. It's like watching the odometer on the car turn over. 

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2012

Eva,  so good to hear from you and your progress.......so cute about the crumpled petal.  I'm just 10 days out of stage 1B and trying to remember the resting part.  It does help.  We're ready for a limerick.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2012

Hi Rogam,

I had tattoos done quite a while ago and one had ended up a fairly bright pink, while the other was more of a mauve color.   I sent photos to Vinnie long ago, and considered going to Baltimore to see him. I was so happy to hear that he is now in NOLA every month and I went in January.  He wasn't sure that he could do much, but they look amazing and match nearly perfectly. He mentioned that he might need to re-do them later on, but they are so close that I don't want them touched!  Also, the previous tattoo on the right ended up inside of the scar, so he made both a bit larger to cover it completely.  He does really amazing work!  From start to finish, NOLA is the BEST place for breast reconstruction.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2012

Also from front to back and top to bottom...lol!!

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2012

Checking in from NOLA and I love this choice. They had a way about them that really calmed my anxiety. Plus I feel really secure and safe. What a relief, that waiting part was nuts. Couple of road bumps but nothing they couldn't handle. Seems I am allergic to contrast dye- hives and itchy and choky in the throat. Also met with Dr Stollier and will be having a repeat mastectomy! Shocked but not worried. The prophylactic on left side done 13 years ago left a bunch of tissue. I never expected a do over for that part, but glad to get it handled. It might delay my start time but so far still on for 7 am.

On another note, what an adventure this town is. All kinds of running amok and shenanigans on Bourbon street. People watching is pure entertainment! Loving it.

Hitting the hay as I've got a big day tomorrow. Thanks for all the support everyone and I'll be back when I reach the other side.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Wow.. a do-over MX.. that is something.

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

Anita, wishing you the best tomorrow!

Sandy, glad you mentioned the color of the tats... I was wondering because on various reconstruction sites, even the Center's website, some that are less natural looking colors, like bright red or bright pink. Was just talking about this with a friend the other day and we were wondering if there is a color palette to choose from, or how that works.

Regarding the insurance, I have United Health Care. Vickie from NOLA's insurance department (she was SO amazingly helpful) said the Multiplan logo on the back of my card is a "golden ticket." Multiplan is listed on the center's website on the National Preferred Provider Network list. United Healthcare is on the Three Rivers list. It's still a bit confusing to me, but the good news is that they figured it out and I'll have to pay something within a reasonable range. I remember last fall spending almost a week on the phone talking to many reps at my insurance company about the chemo drugs, to the point of tears. So This experience was Really easy:)

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited June 2012

Anita, Praying for you.  Keep thinking positively!  Peace, Tamara

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2012

Jenlee~

I noticed the same about tat pictures on the Center's site and others.  I email Vinnie and asked about this.

He said that the photos on the CFRBS site are the tattoos that were done before he got there. They have not posted the tattoos he has done in the past six months yet. He said if I would like to see some of the ones he did at the Center, to go to his website and they are marked with the centers name.   He also said regarding the color -- the other guy used different color than he uses... looked redder and darker than his choice of color.  Also said some of it has to do with the fact that they were taken right after the procedure,  but so were the ones on his site .....

All I know is that whenever (way down the road it seems), I will definitely have tattoos done by Vinnie or have none at all.  Don't know if I will go to Baltimore, NOLA, or Charleston to have him do them. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2012

Ummm... My tattos were done at the Center prior to Vinnie, and let's just say that despite bringing a picture of my original nipple/areola, the results were still less than desirable. I will either fly to Baltimore or back to NOLA to have these redone WITH Vinnie at some point. They really need a fix! But since my immediate family members are the only ones that see them, I am okay for the moment. Right now I have bigger fish to fry.

Sally, thinking of you tonight. Hope you are resting well after your tumultuous weekend.

Anita... Just think, tomorrow you will be rocking the tatas! Wooooohoooo. And just so you know, I originally had nipple/areola sparing mastectomy on my prophylactic side when I had my expanders placed. When they removed them (prior to NOLA), they completed the mastectomy. Not exactly the same as your experience, but still had a mastectomy twice on one breast! But for you, it will be so much better becaue you will be getting boobs immediately where mine was just a deconstruction at that time. You will be great tomorrow!

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited June 2012

For those who need them, maybe we could meet up for tattoos in NOLA, though I think it won't be until some time in 2013 for me. Or I do have family living about 2 hrs north of Baltimore. But a weekend in New Orleans, when I'm feeling really good sounds so nice. And not in the summer heat!

• Downey30
    edited June 2012

Willy,  thinking of you and sending healing hugs your way.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

We were going to have a tat party in Philley with Vinnie in February, but I am delaying mine until after stage IIB, and Dana is doing it next week or so... yikes... Vinnie travels about to othe places, and I am sure if enough women wanted him, he would go anywhere... I will have him do mine in 2013 in Philley or Baltimore (1-2 hours from me by car)... I am patient... I want it to be the LAST thing I do.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Chelle, how is your skin doing? What did the center say? Thinking of you.

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2012

Thanks for the insurance info.I know there are two options for BCBS and for Cigna plus last year they offered APWU,GEHA,SAMBA ,it will be confusing to say the least!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2012

Thinking of Anita and Willy.  As I get closer I am paying closer and closer attention to everything that is being said. 

We are renting a power lift chair for a couple of months.  I am a stomach and slide sleeper so think this is the best way to go.  Also, I hope it gives me some independence from my husband who will be doing my care taking.

I know it will be hot, hot, hot in August.  We are coming in 2 days early and staying at the Hotel Montelone for those 2 nights.  Can anyone give a suggestion of where to go, eat, etc. that is somewhat close. (Air)  No swamp tours this time around.   Ha Ha

Listening and learning.

Cherrie

• amym159
    edited June 2012

Betsy, keep us posted here on the tats party next year.  I may join in!

• bdavis
    edited June 2012

Will do Amy...

Cherrie.. the Monteleone is in the heart of the Quarter, so you can easily walk to many excellent restaurants, Jackson Square, the French Market, the River front... I suggest you walk until the heat is too unbearable and then stop for a marguarita or something.. I think you just might find a place to get a cocktail..not sure though... JK.

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited June 2012

Hi cascader

Still having skin issues and it looks a tad bit better since I stopped using the neosporin and just cover it with bedadine. It's not getting worse though, so that's good. I keep sending pictures to make sure its not getting any worse in their eyes too.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Praying and sending gentle hugs to all those who have just gone

through and those on deck.

Chelle

• Downey30
    edited June 2012

Chelle,  thanks for letting us know....gentle hugs back to you!