Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2013

Ttay - You have Dr. T, right, so I guess he sets your limit on when your particular drains can be pulled. At what level were your others for pulling? My only one this time was below 10cc when I left my post-op visit, but Laura had me keep it through the weekend until I talked to them on Monday -- it was producing almost nothing by then. I'm 2 weeks out and expecting a follow-up call, but it will probably be tomorrow -- I'll ask questions like you want to know: when should I trim the knots? When can I quit the betadine painting? So far I still have a lot of glue. By Dr. S protocol I've had enough compression, but I will switch to Marena today, aiming to give it 4 weeks.

Kerry - Congrats on being drain-free! Others have said they have tummy swelling for a long while. I have less now than I did at stage 1, but you want to hear from someone who had SGAP, right? It all takes time, doesn't it. I wish I could predict what size/shape I'll be in 2 months for a family reunion cruise. I'm hoping a little smaller and more comfortable - with more stamina!  I see your new avatar. You were in a mud run? I'll pass on that and go to water aerobics when I can, perhaps February if there are warm enough days.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2013

Ttay- I would call the Center tomorrow to get clarification on the drains. We called about removing/triming the stitches as they seemed a bit different this time. I also have a lot of glue yet.

AnnAlive- I understand about predicting size/shape. I am waiting on buying any new clothing just to see how things work out. I enjoy running and found mud runs were a fun thing to do with my husband and some friends and family. The mud run in the picture was with my sister and friend. The proceeds went towards breast cancer research. It was an all girl run called Dirty Girl (dirty=mud). Lots of fun and laughs. A cruise sounds great! In two months you will feel so good. What a fun thing to look forward to after this journey.

Per Laura I can stop compression next week but know many of you recommended going into a Marena garment. Is it important to do this after stopping the garment from the Center? While the garment is not very comfortable I am okay with it. I was able to go down a size with the swelling decrease so I feel like I am getting good compression but of course want the best results possible too. Was curious if it would help with the remaining stomach swelling?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2013

Ttay, I think the rule of thumb is 2-3 days under 20 cc for tummy drains, and under 30 cc for butt drains. However, best to call. I once had stage 2 drains that were below 10 cc immediately after surgery, and they still wanted me to keep them for a few days (which about drove me bonkers! but I did it!)

Happy 2013 to all! 

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013

ttay, I sterilized cuticle scissors and trimmed my suture knots as close as I could to my skin. I did it myself at 2-3 weeks post op but you might find it easier for someone to help in awkward angles. I seem to have more knots after stage 2 also and the incision just doesnt seem to heal as well where there are knots. I called my nurse at PS office and she said this was fine to do. I also put back on a couple of steri strips as it just feels better, more secure with a little support on the incisions.

Happy Healing and Happy New Year to all!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013

After stage I I actually pulled the stitch out at mid abdomen... I think my post op directions said to do so.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the advice, Ladies. I'll call the Center tomorrow.

Question about the Marena: What happens if you wash it in hot water? Will it shrink?

TTay

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

TTay - although they don't recommend hot water, I think you can get away with it once or twice.  Actually on their website where they talk about the science of the fabric they say it withstood 60 extreme washings.  To me, extreme washings would include hot water.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited January 2013

Hello All,

I have heard great things about NOLA.  What about the surgeon that takes the breast tissue out with the NOLA docs.  Is he or she an oncologic surgeon ?  Does NOLA have their own Breast care surgeons that they work with or is that another consult?  And, what is their reputation.  I not only want good cosmetic results; but, I also want an excellen oncologic surgeon so I know that all the breast tissue is removed if I have the other side prophl. removed.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2013

Viktoria, they do have breast surgeons that they work with and the consult with the breast surgeon is done on the same day as all the other pre-op consults/testing.  I had Dr. Stolier (at my request) so I don't know anything about the others, but I have nothing but praise for him.  I'm confident that anyone that the Center recommends or works with is top notch, so I imagine you really can't go wrong with anyone they recommend.

• teddybear71
    teddybear71 Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2013

Audrella my breast surgeon is Dr. Celeste Lagarde. I have just as much praise for her as I do Dr. Trahan and the other NOLA docs.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2013

Dr. Stollier was also my Oncology surgeon, the one who removed all the breast tissue. He was excellent from start to finish. 

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

I also had Dr Stolier... wonderful man. I flew down to meet with him prior to surgery... I needed to know that he was going to scrape me clean... It was something that was very important to me... he assured me he would... as did Dr Dellacroce. Dr D told me they have had patients who showed up post MS looking for recon and they had to redo the the MX because the prior BS didn't do a thourough job.

• Jane123
    edited January 2013

My BS was Dr. Cary Gray.  I am confident he did what he said he would do.  I met him minutes before surgery and felt fine with this as everything about the Center is professional and caring.

• KerryA
    KerryA Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2013

Hi ladies,

I am considering ordering a Marena garment. Sounds like many of you purchased one although I've also read some did not. Did the Center suggest purchasing one to you post the compression garment they provide? Also did you buy Stage 2 garments without the zippers? When did you switch over to the Marena? I am ok with the Center garment but want the best results too :) My swelling has really declined yeah!! but I still notice a good amount around my stomach area and curious whether the Marena may help with that more than the Center's garment.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited January 2013

Any compression garment will work equally well in controlling swelling (speaking of actual medical compression garments, not spanx-type garments).  Marena is just more comfortable than most.

• Jane123
    edited January 2013

Kerry,  I did not buy anything else.  I wore the Dom around the clock for 4 weeks then pretty much stopped.  I wear it sometimes when I walk (jog a little!) as an extra layer since it is cold here in Idaho and also because if I run a bit I feel odd due to the numbness.  The compression is comforting.  Peace, Tamara

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Kerry, I wore the Center's DOM for 9 weeks post stage I. After stage II, I wore the Center's garment (Veronique) for a week until the drains came out and then bought the Stage II Marena (without zippers). Compression was the same, but the material was more comfortable.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2013

How long did you wear compression after your Stage 2?  I really don't remember how long I am suppose to wear it but surgery was almost 3 weeks ago and I am wearing it 24/7.

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2013

19 days post op from my big stage 2.  Still disappointed my nipples did not get done BUT focusing on the positive.  Swelling is going down so starting to see some shape which is great and I left the center with 6 drains : ( down to 1 hip drain and it is down to 25cc for 2 days so hoping I get the OK to pull.  Glue starting to come off and this time they gave me kelo-cote.  Can we use this as soon as glue is off?  Definitely seems like I have way more sutures to snip.  I just cannot wait to get back to exercise.  I have had 5 surgeries in 15 months so I feel like right when I get to 12 weeks when I really feel like "me"  I have to go under the knife again.  I am in the home stretch and I will DEFINITELY take this summer off and wait until next fall to do nipples.  I need a good long break from anesthesia : )

Hope those healing are coming along well and those coming up feel relaxed and ready!

Lesley

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

I wore it 24/7 for 2 weeks I think, and then only during the day for the next 4 weeks. (total of 6 weeks) It really is optional, but Dr D said for optimal results, the longer you wear it the better.

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited January 2013

Is anyone going to be at Fairway on Feb.22nd? or at The Center on Feb. 20th?

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2013

Just when I was sure what I want to do, those nasty opinions creep in and I start to wonder if I am so pigheaded that I am not listening to good advise :((

I was sure I wanted a prophylactic on the right side but my general dr questioned why I would want that and that I would have to be tested for the brca gene to qualify to have it done.

My onc said lots of women do it but there is no evidence that it is the better way to go, I explained that I am soooooooo done with this and don't want to worry about it anymore.

Also my general dr questioned why I would go out of state to have surgery when there are qualified doctors in this state.

How did the women here make the decision that they were worthy of going to Nola? And put the naysayers at bay and know that they were making the right choice ?

I am still waiting to see what my insurance will cover and am scared as hell to go forward, feel like I am frozen in limbo and am afraid to make my next step :((

• Stix
    edited January 2013

thank you

• Stix
    edited January 2013

HI

Thank You everyone re giving me your experiences at NOLA and oncologic surgeons.

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2013

Marcie  once you have all the details like insurance approval then it just comes down to what I always tell people Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one.  Sorry to be crude.  My point is no matter what credentials someone has YOU are the only one who can decide what is right for YOU PERIOD.  I think once you have insurance approval you will feel more confident.  Also, in regards to the double Mx  - if YOU feel more comfortable then it is right for YOU.  it is your body.  Stress creates an environment fertile for rogue cells, so if you will always be anxious you could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Also for many of us it is about symmetry.  Women run the gambit.  Some do not want recon and wear their scars as badges some want only the cancer side reconstructed and some want both.  Cancer tears us apart on many levels no one's decision is "right" or "wrong" but don't let anyone make you question what you feel in your heart is right for you.  Then you are likely to regret it later. There is nothing wrong with traveling and nothing wrong with doing both.  If your current Dr is not supporting your choices find another Dr you need supporters not dissenters!!!  Best of luck and hang in there!!!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

saw the wound doc today and the vac is still on...she wants me to continue hyperbarics too :/  sadness abounds.  was really hoping to free myself of it all. just have to wait for insurance approval so taking tomorrow off and friday too cuz i have a pet scan on friday...wish me luck!!

Maggie-2 

• bdavis
    edited January 2013

Marcie... First off, I am BRCA negative and had a BMX, no issues with insurance. Also, I had a lot of naysayers about travel, about even having a MX... but I did what was right for ME. And now all those naysayers are impressed with my recon. I know it would be so much better if your doctors and family and friends could jump on your bandwagon and support your decisions, but sometimes that doesn't happen. One who really didn't want me traveling or having a MX was my MO. But in the end he conceded about the MX, saying mentally it may be the right decision for me. But he was very against the travel. Now he claims he was never against it, just felt I had local options. Clearly he doesn't really understand what I had done, since there are no local doctors qualified to do it. I think he wanted me to go to the local PS who does lat flaps. But I did consult with him, and saw his pictures and didn't care for what he said or showed me.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

Marcie--I agree with the others...this decision must be made by you and YOU alone.  I opted for bmx even though the right side was "clean"  no issues at all from the insurance on that one.  You are the only one who must face the consequences of your decision so please research and decide what is truly right for YOU.  Only here can you get those who can really relate to the decision you must make...we are here for you to offer support and advice but again let this be up to you

Maggie-2

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited January 2013

Mags, sorry you didn't get the news you wanted.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you have your pet scan Friday.  My friend Beth stopped by to see you but you weren't in.  She met your DH and said he was very very nice.