Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Russell1
    Russell1 Member Posts: 413
    edited December 2012

I am new to this board and have been reading all the posts. I am waiting for confirmation on Surgery date of Feb. 22 nd with Dr. S and Dr. T at Fairway hospital. I am planning on bi-lateral hip flap. So many questions and more scared about this than mx surgery! I am a little upset about being at Fairway( due to insurance reasons) because on their Website they make the SCSh sound so wonderful! After reading good posts about Fairway, it put my mind at ease. Did anyone out there have implants before getting breast cancer? I have ILC and nodes under left arm have been removed. I'm stage 111C , had bi-lateral mx, 33 rads to left chest wall and 4 treatments of poison (chemo) lost expander on left side due to infection...ugh!! Was planning on implants but now need flap procedure. I am 5ft. 4 and 1/2 INCHES tall and weigh 127. Dr. S reviewed my pics & says he can give me a full c cup. My ps here says I don't have enough fat:( for a c. He also wants to do a lat flap with implants. I am afraid of losing muscle having implants because of radiation on left side. I found Nola on the internet and was so impressed with result photos. It seem that I also found some new friends here too :) Hug to all of you!!! Any feedback would be great!!!

I live in Southern California and wondered if your flight home from Surgery was ok?
  • bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

Russell... You have come to the right place. Many many doctors who aren't very familiar with what the NOLA docs can do will say you don't have enough fat. I too was told I didn't have enough fat by a PS who wanted to do lat flap and implants. Well, as it was true I didn't have enough abdominal fat, I had plenty of hip fat. My breasts are actually GAP on the left, DIEP on the right, and soon to have a little underarm fat to fix a little necrosis on the left. Dr S and T will do a fabulous job. And even though I have never been to Fairway, it is more about the doctors than the hospital. I say stick with the plan and don't let a doctor who may not be able to get you to a "C" say you aren't a candidate. If Dr S says it can happen, it can happen.

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

That's so good to hear!! bdavis..just from reading many of your posts, I have learned so much!! Thank you!!!! I was going to stay at Hope Lodge at first but after hearing that you get breakfast and dinner on weeknights and you are closer to the center, that just made more sense to me. I am worried about the flight on the way home. I don't have lymphadema but am worried about flying. I heard it can cause it.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

Russel1 Welcome! I will let others tackle your medical questions, but I will wholeheartedly endorse Fairway. My insurance wouldn't allow me to have DIEP at the Center. Both are private surgical hospitals. Fairway was intensely personal. The nurses were amazing and very attentive. From the moment I met Sandy Mayo, the admitting nurse, I felt calm and comfortable. She took me on a tour and introduced me to the nurses who would care for me. This took place the afternoon befor my surgery.

I had had implants (2 pairs) for many years. There was lots of scar tissue, especially in the right. Because of this, a hematoma developed. Two of the NOL doctors live on the North Shore. My surgery was on a Friday. On Sunday morning, when they called Dr. T to come look at my breast, he was there in 15 min. Dr. Massey came over from NOLA (she was my lead) within an hour. When I went back to the OR to have the problem fixed I had the same team. On a Sunday morning. Same anesthesiologist, same recovery nurse, same everyone. A fantastic team approach.

Food was good, though I was drugged. My DH stayed in the room with me. It was definitely one of the absolute best hospital experiences I have had!

SCSH was founded by Dr. D and Dr. S. and is on the Center campus. I have heard it is wonderful, but I can't recommend Fairway more highly. Just remember, your caregiver may want to rent a car for convenience.

After years of implants after BMX, at 7 weeks out I can tell you I love my new boobies. And if the doctors at the center tell you they can do something, they can. The best!

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

Thank you for such wonderful info!!! Liz told me that the Docs are close to the hospital, so that is comforting. So your Dh stayed with you in the room for the entire hospital stay, then you went to hotel? My Dh is wanting to work out so I need to find a 24hr fitness close by to keep him happy! lol

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited December 2012

I too had surgery at Fairway. I was upset about this at first, but it ended up being exactly what Marty said. It was personal, big rooms, the nurses were great, and I was treated wonderful. Please PM me if you have any questions about this.

Welcome to this thread. You have many friends here.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited December 2012

If you can call Sandy Mayo (use the main Fairway number), she will be able to tell you where he can work out. She is well connected in the community. Our husbands actually had common friends in the Air Force. the concierge, Ms Fernandez is lovely and will be very helpful,too. Ask for either one.

Because the nurses are in and out frequently the night of surgery, my DH stayed at the hotel in Covington that night. I wanted him to get some rest. Then he moved into the room. They have chairs that convert to beds. When we left Fairway, we went to Homewood Suites in NOLA.

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

Thank you Cherrie:) I feel better about Fairway now..I have a financial question that I'm going to pm you about. I might as well throw this out to everyone. Was anyone asked to pay more money out of pocket? I have Blueshield ppo and this is out of my network. I have to pay 50% up to 10,500. Plus my deductible is 2500.00... If anyone wants to know what I've been asked to pay, I will pm them. I was told that I would have to pay for some of the cost of the consult before surgery too.

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

I am going to check about staying at the Homewood suites in Nola. I know bdavis recommended them to. Thanks so much!

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited December 2012

You will be pleased with your experience at NOLA, I have no doubt, Russell.  It's very true, that it's the Dr.'s that make the experience so wonderful, not necessary the place the surgery is done.  Lots of ladies have had great experiences at Fairway.  I love Dr. D so much, I wouldn't care where he operated so long as it was him.

Regarding your insurance question....beause everyone has different policies, you will find that the out of pocket expenses vary widely.  Comparing your out of of pocket to someone else's is very much like comparing apples to oranges.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2012

Russell1, Welcome!

Lots and lots of women here have been to Fairway and say it is lovely and wonderful. You don't need to worry about that! I am sure you will have a good experience. 

I too was told by local doctors that I didn't have enough to get even 2 small A cups. I went to NOLA and have 2 full C cups. I had the "Body lift" where they used both DIEP (tummy) flaps and also GAP (butt) flaps. They not only focus on your breasts but also your whole body. 

I added your date above! You are a lucky one! You've landed at the best place in the world for breast reconstruction.   like those of us here, you will be restored. (!!) :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2014

2012 Surgery dates, for the record. Bookmarks for this are above in the general listing.

Jan 4 - DJWeinstein - Stage 1 (Mx w Dr. Stolier). Hip Flaps with Dr. D and Dr. S. NOLA

Jan 4 - Ref - Stage 2b with Dr. S, NOLA.

Jan 5 - SurfaGirl - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA

Jan 9 - Nordy - Consult with Dr. S., NOLA

Jan 11 - SandyInParadise - Tattoo redo with Vinnie

Jan 19 - Need2New - Stage 1 - NSSBMX w/ GAP flaps.

Jan 24 - Nannykat - Stage 1, Dr. S., NOLA.

Feb 8 - CaitlinB - Stage 1, Dr. S., NOLA.

Feb 8 - Eva M - Stage 1, Dr. Stollier and Dr. D., NOLA.

Feb 10 - Fight-like-a-Girl - Pre-appointment with Dr. Marga, Salt Lake.

Feb. 28 - Jane 123 (Tamara) - Stage 1- stacked DIEP and hip flaps; Dr. Gray and Dr. Dellacroce, NOLA.

Mar 6 - Downey30 - Stage 1 S-Gap.

Mar 15 - Adey - Stage 2.

Mar 21 - Mamma2Four (Michelle) - Stage 1B with Dr. Marga, NOLA.

Mar 23 - FightLikeAGirl - Fairway Stage 1 DIEP with Dr. Marga and Dr. Sullivan.

Mar 27?? - Cfrustie - flying down stage 1 surgery this Sunday (3/25). I will be staying at the Hope Lodge. My surgery is planned for bilateral mx with hip and gap reconstruction.

Apr 3 - DJWeinstein - Stage 2, Dr. D. SCSH, NOLA.

May 9 - Need2New - Stage 2 , Dr. S., NOLA.

May 11 - EvaM - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

May 16 - GMP300 - Lat Flap, staying at Hope Lodge.

May 18 - Besa - 2B revision at SCSH

May 30 - Esmerelda - BMX with immediate DIEP and Hips reconstruction, Dr. Dellacroce and Dr. Stollier.

June 1 - Chellehump (Michelle) - Stage 1 MX and GAP recon with Dr. Stollier and Dr. D. NOLA.

June 5 - JenLee - Stage 1 BMX and DIEP with Dr's Sullivan & Stollier.

June 5 - KSue - Stage 1 bilateral mastectomy and hip flap reconstruction with Dr. D. and Dr. Stolier

June 14 - Downey30 - Stage 1B with Dr. Massey

June 15 - Anym159 - Stage 2B, Dr. D.

June 18 - Anniese - Stage 2D (or 3B?), Dr. M, NOLA.

June 18 - SallyM - Stage 2b (revisions), NOLA.

June 19 - Lastar - BMX with Dr. Stolier and hip flap reconstruction with Dr. DellaCroce in NOLA

June 20 - Glostagirl - Stage 1 Stacked DIEP, Dr. M & Dr. S, NOLA.

June 26 - willy5js5 - Stage 1 bilateral DIEP Dr. M & Dr. S, SCSH (replacing failed implant reconstruction)

June 29 - Harmonysun - Stage 1 SGAP with Dr. M & Dr. S, Fairway Hospital.

June 29 - JannelleG - UMX w/ Dr Lagarde, Stacked DIEP w/Dr S, Fairway hospital

July 2 - PinkHeart - Consult with Dr. S, NOLA

July 3 (from Apr 17) - Dana25 - DIEP/SGAP Stage 1 with Dr. Marga in NOLA

July 5 - KatieJane - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. M and Dr. S, NOLA

July 9 - florafarm - NS SS BMX, DIEP, Dr. M, and Dr. Stollier.

July 10 - Denouement - Stage 2b (DIEP scar revision) with Dr. D

July 11 - Denouement - Spared Nipple tattoos with Vinny

July 12 - DebraR - Stage 1 Bilateral DIEP, Dr S., NOLA

July 16 - Naturegirl2 - Consult with Dr. D., NOLA.

July 17 - AnnAlive - Stage 1 bilat DIEP, Dr. Sullivan, NOLA.

July 23 - Sassy43 - Consult with Dr. S., NOLA.

July 25 - Ch968 - Stage 1 bilateral hip flaps, Dr. D., NOLA

Aug 1 - DianneNC - Stage 1 Hip flaps with Dr. D., NOLA. (to recap: I had DIEP flaps done locally in March and lost both flaps, one immediately after surgery and one 10 days later)

Aug 14 - LesleyAnn67 - Stage 1 hip flaps with Dr D., in NOLA

Aug 27 - Momma2Four - Stage 2 wIth Dr. Marga on Aug. 27.

Aug 31 - Adey - Stage 2B on Friday 8/31 in Charleston with Dr. Marga

Sept 5 - Cider8 - 2B with Dr S

Sept 5 - Sydgrace - Stage 1 Hip flap surgery with Dr. D., NOLA (moved from Aug 28)

Sept 12 - Rawlins -

Sept 13 - Patience62 - Stage 1 bilateral mastectomy with hip flaps or sgap, with Dr. M.

Sept 13 - Cheryl (from NJ) - Stage 2 with Dr D., SCSH.

Sept 17 - TeddyBear71 - Stage 2 with Dr. T., Fairway.

Sept 19 - Ttay - Stage 1 DIEP with Dr. Trahan.

Sept 20 - Chellehump - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Sept 21 - Sassy43 - Stage 1 with Dr. S, Fairway hospital.

Sept 21 - DsnyDawn - Stage II, Dr. D., NOLA.

Sept 26 - KerryA - Stage 1 Bilateral Hip Flaps with Dr. D, NOLA.

Oct 4 - Jenlee - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA

Oct 5 - LAStar - Stage 2 with Dr. D., NOLA.

Oct 5 - BDavis (Betsy) - Consult at 8:30 with Dr. D. about stage 2B (in 2013)

Oct 16 - Gmp300 - Stage 2 with Dr D., NOLA

Oct 24 - Esmerelda - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA

Oct 23 - Taderbug - Stage 1 Stacked DIEP, Dr. M., NOLA.

Oct 26 - Harmonysun - stage 1b or 2 at Fairway.

Oct 31 - KatieJane - Stage 2 DIEP, NOLA, (Dr. M?)

Nov 1 - Mags20487 - Stage 1 Bilateral DIEP with Dr. M., NOLA.

Nov 2 - Jane123 - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Nov 6 - CelticAntique - Stage 2B, Dr. D., NOLA.

Nov 6 - Pamela44 - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. S., NOLA

Nov 9 - MartyJ - with Dr. Massey in NOLA - bilateral diep, stage 1 at Fairway.

Nov 12 - Cherrie - Stage 1, Bilateral mastectomy with DIEP/Stacked DIEP, Dr. M at Fairway hospital

Nov 13 - Glostagirl - SCSH for a Stage 1b (probably hip flap) with Dr. Massey.

Nov 19 - willy5js5 - Stage 2 with Dr. M, Chicago - Chicago Masonic Medical Center

Dec 11 - TTay - Stage 2, Dr. T., NOLA

Dec 14 - LesleyAnne67 - Stage 2 in NOLA.

Dec 14 - grt42btexan - Stage 2, Dr. T., NOLA

Dec 17 - Downey30 - Stage 2B with Dr. Massey in Charleston

Dec 18 - AnnAlive - Stage 2, Dr. S., NOLA.

Dec 19 - Kerry A - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Dec 29, 11:30, NOLA meetup! Pike Place Market, Seattle. Meet at "Rachel the Pig". All invited!

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

I am breathing sighs of relief with all these words of encouragement! I have been losing sleep over making this decision. Driving my hubby crazy! I wish I would have found you all sooner. Thank you all so much!! Big hugs and hoping 2013 will bring us to peace and Joy: ) xo Thank you for adding me to the surgery list Springtime. How do I put my pic up?

• chellehump
    chellehump Member Posts: 374
    edited December 2012

Welcome Russell!! You have definitely found the best doctors and you will be restored!!

Happy New Year to all of you amazing ladies!!!!

Chelle

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

Thanks Chellehump!!!

• willy5js5
    willy5js5 Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2012

Wow! Looking at the 2012 list makes me smile. So much restoration in 2012 and exciting to see our year bookmarked as over! What a ride it was. Great job ladies! Blessings in the new year to all of you.

Russell, I echo the praises of our NOLA docs and have to add they really brought wholeness back for me. I had implant reconstruction after cancer and hated everything about them. They felt like over filled water balloons stuffed into already too tight pants!  My new breasts are every bit a part of me as the rest of my body. Pretty cool! Plus the added bonus of contouring the rest of you to match is down right art! You will never regret going this route instead of settling for locals.

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

That's so great to hear willy5js5!!!! Your description made me laugh!

• willy5js5
    edited December 2012

One more thing... cheers to all the 2012 ladies for those nude neck to knee photos! We are the headless princess club! Blessings next year all!

• willy5js5
    edited December 2012

Russell, to add your picture - click on your user name on any post. It will take you to your profile and look for avatar. Then click edit in that section and you should be able to load a picture.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    edited December 2012

Willy5js5: Nude neck to knee/Headless Princesses...that's so funny.

Russell: Welcome. This time last year, I was lopsided and was just finishng radiation. All my plastic surgeons here in Atlanta wanted to do the lat flap on me because of my size and the fact that I had had 3 C-Sections, and they wanted me to wait a year after radiation. I had Stage 1 Unilateral Diep in September, and Stage 2 almost 3 weeks ago. Dr. Trahan is my doctor. Dr. T was able to give me a New breast with no complications, when the other doctors, in my opinion just wanted to take the easy way out. These doctors are phenomenal. You are definitely in the best of hands. I'm glad you found this thread. The experiences of the ladies here is what made me take a leap of faith in even trying to go to NOLA.

Happy New Year to Everyone, "Headless Princesses", especially! What a year it's been!!!

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited December 2012

2009 DIEP's - is anyone experiencing fat necrosis around flap edges?

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2012

She -- Oh no, do we have to worry about that even 3+ years later?

It would be nice to hear from some ladies a few years out to find out how their flaps, grafting, and donor sites held up.

Russell -- Welcome. Your journey has been so similar to mine, except I'm IDC. Like you, I am stage IIIc , had chemo (8 rounds), BMX, 33 rads to left chest wall, and lost left expander to infection! Thanks to this wonderful thread, I found out about NOLA and DIEP and I'm recovering from stage 2 by Dr. S.

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2012

She--

Sorry to hear about your fat necrosis on your flap edges this far out.

What has your PS proposed to do? Did you go to NOLA?

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

Ladies...so mad right now!! Last night I went in and wrote my bio and went to submit and it kicked me out and erased it. You all know how winded you feel after telling your journey!! lol

Just now was replying to private messages and it said I can only have so many for the day:( and it erased that!!! Any suggestions? Should I try logging out and logging back in? Or is this a sign that I need to get off the board and talk a walk, or do laundry, (Ha, Ha)

AnnAlive..Yes our stories are so alike! I had 4 treatments of chemo and after pathology showed 12/19 positive, Dr. wanted me to do 4 more treatments but I told her in my heart I didn't feel it helped. It was one of those gut feelings that was so strong. She then emailed Dr. O'Shanuassy in Texas (well known oncologist) and she told her for me to do radiation first then go on Xeloda for 6 months. I hope it was the right choice. So far I'm cancer free according to Pet Scan. I just had my right nodes under my arm biopsied because Pet Scan said benign apperaring nodes were slightly enlarged. I needed to know that it was not Cancer for sure. Especially since I found my breast lump myself and was told at my ultrasound that is wasn't Cancer and was most likely the edge of my implant! I waited 1 year to exchange them and ps found that it was Cancer! If my primary would of ordered a biopsy It probably wouldn't have spread to my nodes. ILC doesn't show on mamos or ultrasounds. If I could only go back, but I was a fitness instructor, no breast cancer in family, non-smoker..Now I'm super paranoid of any bump, lump, or tingle:( Wow Have I rambled! Thank goodness this cant' be erased!!!! Hugs!!!!!

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

Ttay..Thanks for your welcome and input. I will have Dr. T and Dr. S. I only am hearing good things!! I don't wan't to lose my lat muscle. I hope to get back to playing softball and teaching Aqua classes at the gym with my new boobies and lifted butt!!! Whohoo!!!

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

I have an ipad so it won't let me add a pic:( I'm going to have to go and use hubby's computer. I wish we lived closer to each other ladies...then we could do a show and tell!!! lol

I used to be so modest about exposing..but after all of this, there is no shame in my game! As my hubby puts it!

• Lesleyanne67
    Lesleyanne67 Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2012

Russell. I had implants before cancer so feel free to ask me any questions. Also I live at the border of CA and NV near Tahoe and the flying was fine. I stayed for stage 1 2 days before surgery. Only because with the time difference there were no flights to get menin by 9am for a Mon pre-op day before so I arrived the Sun night before the pre-op because you have to have the CT with contrast.

Then 3 days at St Charles (fairway is also three days). Surgery was on a Tues I was released Fri suppose to have a post op Tues they moved it to Mon so I could

have flown home Mon, but tickets and hotel were set so I left Tues. So in total I left on a Sun home Tues so 10 days. Flights no problems.

Stage 2 I flew on Wed for same reason above my pre-op was Thurs and surgery Fri. Released Sat and flee home Mon. I had big revisions tk breasts stage 2 and/or ab work. If was rough so if you have a big 2 I would see if you can get 2 hospital nights and fly back Wed meaning take a week bs 5 days I rushed it for stage 2 I survived but it was tough. In retrospect I would have taken the extra day or two ( like I said if you have a smaller stage 2 maybe not needed but if big that is my suggestion). I felt stage 1 was easier but I think it is because I gave myself more time!

Letme know if you have any questions!

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

Lesleyanne6 thank you for the info!!! I am glad to hear you had no trouble on flights. I am worried about lymphadema. I don't have it but had radition and nodes removed under arm on left side. Does anyone know how to look at the picture forum. I messaged Timtam but haven't heard back yet. Thanks!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2012

Russell... the picture forum is run by Timtam but her name has changed to nowheregirl. Just PM her and ask.

Just to add a different perspective on timing. I was in the hosiptal for 5 nights with stage I. They were thinking it would be 4, but I had a fever so they kept me. And for stage II, I was in the hospital for 2 nights. But I had my surgery late in the day Monday, and didn't get to my room til about 9pm, so I stayed til Wednesday. With my next stage II, I won't hesitate to ask for two nights if I need it. I did have a lot done at my stage II cause I also had the body lift, so reivisions on breasts, butt and abs. (not to mention the lipo in legs, love handles etc).

About flying... Can you ask someone local for a LE sleeve?  I flew lots of times before I even heard it could be a problem. I don't wear a sleeve, nor do they wrap me for surgery. But the doctors will take care of you once you get there, but if you are worried, I would look locally for a sleeve.

• Russell1
    edited December 2012

That's a great idea. Good to know you have flown many times and have had no problems! I am a worrier:/ so I will take an Ativan before getting on plane and hopefully sleep or be relaxed. As far as timing, I will stay the 10 days for stage 1 for sure. Thanks!

I just messaged nowheregirl so hopefully I'll hear something.