Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

Congratulations, Maggie!  

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2013

Yea, Maggie!

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2013

I'm having my s-gap surgery in SC but had a similar experience with my first PS. I am thin but have some hip/thigh fat. I am having a pbmx in 2 weeks. I asked my first PS if I could do something using my tissue and he told me I was a bad candidate and that it had a low success rate. I don't think he was a bad guy but apparently a lot of PSs tell people to have whatever techniques THEY do ... They pooh-pooh everything else. Sounds like you have made a good decision ... It is more about your doctor than where. Maybe you could find out how they care for patients post-op where you're going (nurses specifically trained to help monitor your surgery's patients., etc.). Little things like that are a good sign. Be sure about your ins, too, as I thought ins had to cover whatever reconstruction procedure (and redo if unsuccessful) you decide to have (Federal law). Don't know all the specifics of how that applies but hopefully if you can afford to get somewhere your ins would pay for the hospital, surgery, etc. Just a thought.

• Audrella
    Audrella Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2013

So glad you got good news, Maggie!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2013

Sydgrace and Zandy up!

Good wishes ladies! See you on the "other side"!!! 

Jan 10 - Sydgrace - Stage 2, Dr. D., NOLA.

Jan 11 - Zandy - Stage 1 hip flaps with Dr. S., NOLA

• Marcie47
    Marcie47 Member Posts: 163
    edited January 2013

Good luck girls on your upcoming surgeries, will keep you in my prayers.

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

OMG  my patient pack came today from DR M...this is really coming up quick

Maggie-2

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2013

Many congrats Maggie!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

wound vac is gone...wow this is a great week!

Maggie-2

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2013

Maggie - you have finally crossed the mountain.  From here on it will be an easy slide!  Congrats on the wound vac!  It is a whole new wonderful yearEmbarassed!!!

Best to Sydgrace & Zandy!

• LindaG47
    LindaG47 Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013

Mags,  That is great news.  I am sure that is a big relief off of your shoulders.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2013

Thinking of you Sydgrace and Zandy. You will do great!!!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2013

Maggie -- so glad you are un-wound-vacced. I only had "threat" of wound vac and hyperbaric on my necrotic abd wound, but then debridement was working. Good news week for you with your hyperbaric approved, good scan, good tumor markers. Two more months you'll have new leftie!

Sydgrace & Zandy -- praying for smooth-going for you this week and beyond.

I'm at 3+ weeks post-stage-2-DIEP and have more energy now. Wearing Marena 10-12 hrs/day and still have some lipo soreness and swelling, but bruises are almost gone. I'm approaching some kind of symmetry, not sure how it will settle out. I'll start using scar gel next week. I have Kelo-cote, but has anyone tried other kinds such as SkinMedica Scar Recovery Gel, which may cost less? Or ScarAway sheets?

• Springtime
    edited January 2013

Yay Maggie!

Yay Anne! Glad you have more energy!!

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited January 2013

I'm kind of partial to Invicible, developed by Dr. C at PRMA.  It's not cheap but it works.  http://www.inviciblescars.com/

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Jeskachi - the invicible looks interesting.  When did you begin using it - after stage 1 or stage 2?

• Del11
    edited January 2013

I've used it off and on after all surgeries.  I didn't use it too much around my reconstructed nipples though because I didn't want them to flatten.  I need to get some more for the very front of my DIEP scar and the outside edges of my breast scars, they're the only noticeable scars I still have.  Just haven't gotten around to getting more.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2013

I just ordered ScarAway silicone sheets, have not used them yet so will let you know. Did not use much of anything after stage 1 but after Mx and failed implant tried pretty much everything else, be careful tho, some of the scar creams have parabens in them. I do like using Bio Oil also. Will check out invicible. 

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2013

I looked at the InviCible site and see they have a 30-day trial for $9.95 + s/h, but we have so many scars after DIEP, I doubt it would last a month -- maybe not long enough to see results, so it's good to have your experience, Jeskachi.

ScarAway says it's for hypertrophic (raised) scars, and my removed-port and axillary scars are raised, so I may need that for those areas if they don't start flattening.

This is like a new hobby, scar beautification. Kiss

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2013

I have never been told about using something on my scars.  I am 8 weeks out of stage 1.  Should I be contacting Dr. M and asking about this or is it used more after stage 2?  My scar on my abdomen is NOT attractive.  One breast scar looks great the other is not so.

• Del11
    edited January 2013

If you want to use it you should probably clear it with the dr first, but she probably won't have a problem with it. I wouldn't use it on areas that are still healing.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2013

I think scar treatment is for after Stage 2.  I can't seem to remember to use my scar cream.  I'm losing enthusiasm for all things surgical.  Smile

• millerj
    millerj Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013

Hello ladies...it seems like you are all a wealth of knowledge when it comes to NOLA.  My surgery is scheduled for APril 3rd and right now I am in the process of deciding where to stay.  I don't know where to begin with that.  Did any of you have a great place to stay that you could recommend?

• Springtime
    edited January 2013

I used Mederma on my scars while they were still red. I liked the cream better than gel. After that, I moved to Palmers lotions with cocoa butter. Dr. D. suggested them. As did the tattoo guy. My scars are really thin and light and I swear, barely noticable. However, many will tell you that scaring has a genetic compontnet as well. 

MillerJ, I liked the Homewood Suites the best because it has a ton of space, so you can be sleeping and your companion can be watching TV, they also have huge free breakfasts and light supper free on several nights of the week. You can also walk to French Quarter. Many of us like it for these reasons. Hope Lodge is free. 

you can go on the website and find special rates for the Center. There is also a listing there of all the places. Others will chime in with their fav's too , I'm sure!

• Jane123
    Jane123 Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2013

Spring, You know it!  

MillerJ, I really liked Bienville House, a boutique hotel.  Charming, clean, good rates, and right in the French Quarter.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2013

MillerJ... I also like the Homewood Suites. But if you have never been to NOLA, you may want to try Monteleone or Bienville for the nights before surgery (easy access to the Quarter), but maybe Homewood Suites after surgery.

For scars, I only used treatment after stage II.. he opened all scars at stage II so scar treatment would have been pointless after stage I for me. I used kelocote and the 3M brown tape (can't remember the name). And not at the same time. I think I started with the tape and progressed to the kelokote.

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2013

Millerj- I also like Homewood suites for after surgery- there are two rooms each with TVs so your caretaker can relax while you sleep - each suite also has a kitchen and a big fridge. Before my first surgery I met other women there who were having reconstruction at the Center. You can ask for a shower chair and they have washing machines and dryers in the building, free breakfasts and some free light dinners.  I like the Moneteleone if you just want a vacation like stay in a nice area - possibly good for before surgery or if you are in NOLA for a consult. 

• MartyJ
    edited January 2013

Millerj - we stayed at the Bienville before surgery and Homewood after. The extra room at Homewood coupled with the meals and washer really helped with recovery.

• millerj
    millerj Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013

Sounds like many of you liked Homewood.  I will definitely look into that...it seems like what I was looking for.  Thanks for your input. 

Now one more question...this may sound silly but I am getting confused.  Are NOLA, The Center for Restorative Breast Surgery, and The St. Charles Surgical Hospital all the same name for one facility or are they different centers?  If they are actually different centers, when will I find out which one I will be having surgery at?

MartyJ it looks like you and I will be there around the same time.  How is your recovery from Stage 1 going?  Are you feeling good and if so, how long did it take you to feel better?  I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and getting back into the swing of taking care of them after the surgery is the part that I am most worried about!

• glostagirl
    glostagirl Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2013

Millerj......NOLA is the abbreviation for New Orleans, Louisiana.  The Saint Charles Surgical Hospital is a small facility dedicated to breast reconstruction and (physically) attached to the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery clinic.  Some of the Center surgeons are also affiliated with another local hospital where some women go if their insurance doesn't work with SCSH.  

I've stayed at both Homewood and the Hope Lodge.  Homewood is convenient for sure, especially after surgery.  Don't discount the Hope Lodge because it's free; although it's away from everything and you'd need a car, it's a beautiful. comfortable, quiet facility and the people are wonderful.  

Everyone's recovery is different, 6-8 weeks is a good reference for stage 1 recovery, more or less dependant on what kind of shape you're in prior to surgery, how extensive your surgery is and how you deal with pain.  I know I felt pretty good after 4-5 weeks, but if I did too much during the day I'd crash in the late afternoon-early evening and would have to medicate and lie down for an hour or so to recover.