Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• fortunate1
    fortunate1 Member Posts: 467
    edited September 2009
    Options

You are all wonderful.

Such great things to read! Hurrah for a good healing incision, B9 reports, and firm bras! And yes yes yes, to remembering that those possible recurrance rates are spread over 10 years. My onc also said that for me 13% means 1.3% a year, not 13%. And actually, yes, it's loaded more heavily to the beginning, less every year. Now I'm wordy. Count those blessings.

I'll be in a cool classroom again tomorrow, theater tomorrow night, and after that is anybody's guess. Maybe the beach. I will try to appreciate the heat in respect for you who are headed for winter. Talk to you all when I get a chance. A good long weekend to you all. 

• tracyanne
    tracyanne Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2009
    Options

Congrats on the benign results, Meg...and now, as a friend says, "on to what's next!"  I like the spirit in that little expression.  We none of us know what's next, but we know we have the fight in us to meet it whether good or bad.  Carole, glad you had good results too :- )

Okiegal, have you given up the TAB or diet Coke?  Am considering weaning myself off of it, but I do love the stuff...hmmm...carcinogens, like my health conscious buddy says?  This is a woman who buys her dogs top-of-the-line raw beef at Whole Foods and prepares it herself for her dogs' every meal.

Question for all:  I had my drain pulled at day 12, after several consecutive days of 20-25 cc output but then one spike of 40 cc after doing housework stuff...now at day 18 I am having trouble with fluid build up and the soreness that comes with it as it takes my body awhile to absorb the fluid.  So sore right now, with obvious fluid build up here at the start of Labor Day weekend.  If I am as lazy as possible, watching college football all day, will that help me absorb it better than anything else?!  Ouch.  Drain out too soon?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    edited September 2009
    Options

Yea, Meg!!!  That's wonderful news.  I know how relieved you are.  All our path reports don't have to be bad from here on out.

Okiegal, I'm fine with checkups every 6 mos.  I wasn't happy about the mammogram.  It didn't make much sense until I got the explanation that the mammogram shows lymph nodes under the arm.  Apparently I won't get the tight squeeze treatment since my breast tissue is gone.  I had thought the BMX eliminated mammograms but instead I'll have to have one more.  If you don't mind my asking, what was your mother's treatment after BMX? 

From my browsing on bc.org, I'm very glad I avoided rads.  I wish I didn't have to take Arimidex.  The picture I'm getting from my research and from my dr's NP is that the more SEs you experience, the better the drug is working in blocking estrogen.  Isn't that the pits?  If you don't experience miserable SEs, then your body is managing to sneak some estrogen past the drug.  Our female bodies are not happy without estrogen.  Some women just take their chances rather than sacrifice quality of life.

Fortunate1, you're taking Femara, which is in the same class of drugs, and you seem to be functioning normally.

The weather here doesn't seem to know about the weather forecast for rain.  It's sunny outside.  I hear a neighbor's lawn mower.  My dh left about 7:15, but I didn't hear his truck engine because I was still in bed and stayed there until after 8am.  There won't be much labor in my Labor Day weekend!

Enjoy your picnics and family get-togethers.

• okiegal
    okiegal Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole - I was very happy when told I no longer needed mammograms, but who knows, I may have one down the road someday. It's nice to know they will forego the extreme squishing. My mother was diagnosed with DCIS (no staging in 1984). She decided to have a BMX with immediate (no Alloderm at the time) reconstruction. She also underwent 15 treatments with radiation. I don't know how much with each and if I asked her, she wouldn't remember this far out. Her doctor at the time admitted it was overkill to do radiation, but he wanted to treat very conservatively. Believe it or not, she then took hormones for 10-15 years after that. Certainly, there were different ideas 25 years ago.

TracyAnne - taking it easy and watching college football sounds like a great idea. Your body is talking back! At 13 weeks, I still have a little swelling that comes and goes and I still have tingling and pins and needles if I overdo it.

I gave up Diet Coke for no particular reason about 2 years ago and started drinking iced tea instead. It seemed healthier, but then I had a breast discharge. The breast surgeon and the radiologist both asked me "Do you drink a lot of tea?" I wondered if that was bad, too. Did it cause my problems? I've also recieved the cautions of other friends and family members about how horrible it is to drink Diet Coke. (It's always Diet Coke!) I did some research online and to the best of my understanding a lot of the science against diet drinks and aspartame is very weak, if not outright superstition. I still indulge every now and again, but I'm no longer a impulse driven devotee!Smile

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Meg and Okiegal, I thought about you yesterday as I searched through the bras in JC Penney and Belk's.  I bought two Warner bras and 2 Barely There bras, all without underwires.  I hate underwires.  I plan to try them on with clothes and decide whether to keep them.  The Warner bras remind me a little of rubberized female armor!  It's hard to tell whether I'm filling them up enough.  I like the fit of the Barely There bras better.   It seems the trend in bras is either heavy padding or no padding.  Nothing much in between.

I always wore the soft bras with light padding that was called "fiber fill."  And guess what?  After the swelling has gone down, I think I'll be able to wear some of them again.  I fill them out more than before but have gained no additional projection.  Maybe that will change.  I asked Dr. C. whether my pec muscles had stretched to the maximum by now (6wks) and he said no.  There would be more stretching.  In that case the implants might pop out more. 

I'm content with not being much bigger.  I think I would feel self-conscious marching out into the world with more noticeable boobs, plus my knit blouses would be tighter.  

Tomorrow I'll start walking again.  Next week I need to get my hair styled.  It hasn't been cut now for 2 months.  I want to find a new hair stylist and she will have some hair to work with. 

Such frivolous topics, bras and hairstyle! 

I drink caffeine-free Diet Coke (less than one a day) and decaf coffee (black) and decaf iced tea lightly sweetened with Sweet n Low.  We make a pitcher of tea every day and usually drink a full pot of coffee.  My husband has an irregular heartbeat so we eliminated caffeine except for a delicious piece of dark chocolate for dessert after dinner.  Healthy goodie, supposedly.  Who knows what is healthy anymore?  

Hello to Fortunate1 and tracyanne and YearoftheHat. 

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday safely. 

• tracyanne
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Carole--I too have heard that the dark chocolate is healthy...my guess it's all relative, as in healthier than milk chocolate.  I switched to dark chocolate for a treat when trying to lose weight a couple years ago and found it very satisfying.  Now I get my chocolate fix by keeping dark or semi-sweet morsels in the freezer and just get a tiny handful here and there when I feel like it.

The swelling is less, but still there and painful, kind of radiating underneath and around toward my back.  Am glad I see the PS on Tuesday, meanwhile will stay in bed.  Watching college football all day was a good idea, though eventually started flipping between games to avoid the darn Hooters commercials that kept coming on.  Between being sooo uncomfortable with this swelling and my residual healing aches and pains and then seeing those dang commercials, I ended up crying along about nine o'clock...hubby gave me some encouraging words and hugs... then Oklahoma lost their football game...and I cheered up (apologies to any Sooner fans here, but I'm a Texas grad and a Longhorn fan through and through).

Day 18 after mastectomy/recon and I am looking forward to going back to work end of this coming week, and to getting back to the gym soon afterwards.  Doctor says can get on the treadmill any time now...I was in such good shape before diagnosis in mid-July, then let everything start falling off, including healthy eating habits.  I won't tell you how many flavors of ice cream I have hidden in my freezer, nor how many different kinds of candy I have stashed in various places from purse to desk drawer.  Thought I had my sweet tooth under control this past year, but any excuse to let it come roaring back, right? 

White sugar supposedly fuels cancer...wonder if that's true.

Hope everyone is doing well, resting and recovering and enjoying...once my swelling is taken care of, I will join the bra quest and see how I fare...

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

As far as I'm concerned ALL chocolate is healthy, as in "quality of life". I don't eat much - trying to slim down - but absolutely adore it. If white sugar fuels cancer, I could be in big trouble.

Tracy, I'm glad you're seeing your PS on Tuesday. Ask lots of questions. Even if it turns out to be no biggie, I think the fluid buildup should be addressed. Only 18 days and you're doing so well.

I guess the bras I like the most aren't padded, but are made out of thicker substantial stuff that smoothes out my shape. I don't think there will be little deep cut bras with a single layer of stretchy lace in the front of my underwear drawer. Back to the very back for them. The cup size difference, okiegal? When I had that 'fit for the cure' experience, the sales lady kept trying to put me in a 34C instead of the 36B I usually wear. The cup size was the same. Apparently I could be either. I chose the 36 for the comfort of the band.

Femara. Any SEs I'm having are soooo minor. I have been in menopause for a long time. There's not that much estrogen to suppress. Even the sweaty hot flashy moments are leaving. I thought for a while I was getting more fuzzy-headed, not remembering words. Well actually I am, but I think it's natural aging, just me. Maybe more wrinkles? Also probably age. I think Femara is my ticket to no more BC, and am very happy to take it.

I ushered for a play last night. Very strange, peculiar reaction. I'd like to tell you about it but don't know how to express it. I'll think on it a little longer.

I'm having a great weekend. Shopping, cycling, family, fooooood. Hope you all are having a great time too. 

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

I'm pretty sure dark chocolate is necessary for life...at least it is for me. If I was stuck on a desert island and had to choose between good coffee, good wine and good chocolate....it would be a close race, but chocolate would win. Certainly, it has to be healthy for us, too?

Carole - I really like the "Barely There" bras. So comfy. I can do without underwires everyday. Not surprisingly, the firm foam bras I found were underwires. They would be for more special occassions. I too am frustrated by all of the excess wires and padding. I tried on one that kind of gave me a "pointy boob" effect. Weird. As close as I'll ever get to a Hooter Girl...not my style at all!

I went to church without a bra yesterday (!) seemed so "wrong", but I didn't want to be uncomfortable with an underwire bra. Instead, I was uncomfortable not wearing a bra for so long (ended up running errands and going out to lunch). I looked fine and I'm sure no one noticed, but physically, there were small pains in the chest area, pulling sensations and then pins and needles all over the front of my body. I'm getting frustrated and tired of this sensation. On top of it, I feel like a total whiner. I should probably call one of my doctors.

Fortunate1 - What "Fit for the Cure" event are you talking about? Is it worth finding one? Sounds like someone was trying to fit you with the wrong size bra? It might be nice to have someone help with finding the right bra. I'm even more reluctant to ask sales women for help these days. I don't want to freak anyone out by explaining that I had a mastectomy. How do you explain that you aren't filling out the cup because you have no nipples? I'm thankful to have all of you to share the experience with. By the way, what happened at the theater?

TracyAnne - Back to work so soon? Do you have a fairly relaxed job? I guess it all depends, I couldn't have returned to work so soon after surgery, I was out of it from taking pain medication. Good for you, I'm glad you are feeling up to it. It will help you to get back to your normal routine and see your co-workers.

For a holiday, I sure have a lot to do. Think I'll go for a short bike ride then finish laundry and hit the grocery store. Need to make a salad to take to a small family get together...there will be homemade chocolate icecream!Smile Yummy!

Hi, Meg9! Hope you all enjoy your day.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi, everyone.  If we ever plan a get-together, I'll bring lots of dark chocolate!  Our favorites are the Ghihardelli individually wrapped squares, available in bags at Target and Walmart.

I took a short walk this morning, maybe a mile.  Forgot my pedometer.  My first walk since the revision surgery on Tues.  The overcast skies made it a little cooler.

Tracyanne, I remember how uncomfortable the swelling was.  Part of your discomfort is the pressure on the pec muscles as the implant pushes against it.  Hope that description doesn't gross you out!  As the pecs loosen, it becomes more comfortable.  However, at 6 1/2 weeks, I still don't like the feeling of being braless.  I feel internal tightness and am more "secure" wearing my after-surgery stretchy bra or the cotton sports bras I bought at Walmart, which fasten down the front with hooks and eyes.  I fasten two or three bottom hooks and leave the top ones open.

My energy level was low for the first 5 wks at least.  Then the surgery on Tues. knocked me down again.  If you find yourself getting very tired when you return to work, maybe you could work partial days?  It may be good for you to go back to work and regain some semblance of "normalcy."  I can only speculate on that, since I don't do paid work anymore!  Just unpaid work.

My dh is playing in his match play tournament for the 3rd day in a row.  He's in the championship match for his senior flight.  I hope he wins.  Poor dear has been getting up at 6am for the early tee times.  I bet he sleeps in tomorrow.

Last night we had dinner at the home of a couple who live less than 5 miles from our house.  It was a very pleasant evening.  They've both been very sympathetic and supportive.  Julie's sister is a bc survivor, which makes Julie more understanding.   The sister was not inclined to share information, though, and I'm more forthright.  Okiegal, I tell the salesladies why I'm looking for bras.  They become that much more helpful.  Normally, I'm a private person, but I've told lots of total strangers my bad health news throughout this bc ordeal.  Sometimes I've amazed myself!  It's as though I have an inclination to share.  Weird.

Happy Labor Day to all.

• tracyanne
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole, I'm with you on the sharing--I was checking out at a store and the clerk at my register asked me if I'd like to donate to juvenile diabetes.  I said no, and she was friendly enough but started a littel spiel about how they are all pitching in to fight for the worthy cause.  I said yeah, it sure is a worthy cause but that I was recovering from breast cancer surgery and my money and efforts were going to that cause right now.  We then had the nicest conversation about her cousin's bc fight, and it just felt good to have this stranger ask me how I was holding up and wishing me well...

I would like to talk about the going back to work thing, because it fits in with this general feeling I got from my breast surgeon that all of this is hard, yes, but quite manageable...when actually, there have been times it's just been damn hard!  and not so manageable!

He's the one who told me most of his unilateral mastectomy patients are back to work in about two weeks, and so that's what I set in my mind as the standard, and kind of what I had planned:  surgery on Wed of teacher inservice (yay!  get to miss that for first time in 23 years) and then out with a sub the first two and a half weeks of school, returning Wed. the 9th = three weeks from date of surgery.

Well, everyone else from general practitioner to plastic surgeon to physical therapist (for hip bursitis) to my school secretary has said that's not very long.  PS said I can do it but most likely wouldn't be 100%...which I figured was true but I had strategies for taking it fairly easy.  I teach 7th graders, so don't have the constant physical bend over/reach out motions that elementary teachers have...

but now that I am seeing the PS for this painful swelling, I think I'll leap at any suggestion of taking next week off, too.

This same breast surgeon couldn't have been more attentive to my comfort level when I had last year's stereotactic biopsy (benign) and this year's vacuum assisted needle biopsy--lots of numbing medicine, constant 'are you doing alright?  do you need more numbing?' and yet, when we ended up needing a surgical biopsy becauses the stereotactic didn't catch the mircrocalcs, he wanted to give me just Tylenol afterwards.  I asked for and then got something a little stronger, Darvocet.

Fast forward to mastectomy night in hospital, and he has me on the supposedly miraculous On-Q numbing pump and, guess what, Darvocet!  $%&#.  It was the plastic surgeon the next morning who got me hydrocodone and soma.

What's my point?  I think that I picked three weeks off in some misguided effort to fit my much-loved breast surgeon's expectations for me, and now I'm thinking his expectations for surgical pain are not realistic.  I swear I love him in every other way--how many breast surgeons call on a Fri to say the MRI results aren't in yet, but he's thinking of me and promises he will call Friday night after hours so I won't have to wait in suspense all weekend long?  He's great...except in this. 

Maybe he's read some of the boards on this site in which women say they felt very little pain and were on regular Tylenol in two days.  I read them, too, and felt like I had to be that wonderwoman...esp since I was working out at the gym 5 days a week.

Ain't feeling like much of a wonder woman now, I can tell you.   

I'd be curious to know what y'all's breast surgeons said about recovery from unilat and bilat mastectomies. 

Thanks for listening.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Goodness, Tracyanne, I didn't know you were a teacher.  No, indeed, I don't think you can go back to that demanding job this quickly.  Please take the extra time off if you can.  I taught high school students for 6 years and had a class or two of 8th graders one of those years.  I can't imagine that 7th graders are easier than 8th graders.  What subject do you teach?  My major subject was English but I had to teach some  American History courses the first year.  That was challenging since I had to study as I went along to stay ahead of the current lesson plans. 

As for pain management in the hospital post op, I had a morphine pump, for goodness sake.  In addition to the On-Q pump.  I went home the afternoon following surgery with a prescription for Darvoset.  Unfortunately I can't take hydrocodone.  After a few days I was able to get by on tylenol for arthritis, the strongest tylenol.  But I didn't have acute pain at that point.  Instead I had soreness and achy discomfort.  Everybody is different.  Okiegal had quite a bit of pain following her BMX.  

The first couple of weeks I slept in an elevated position using a foam wedge and pillows.  I'm still sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees and a couple of pillows under my head.  Small pillows under my arm.

My BS and PS didn't say much about recovery.  I asked when I would be able to resume playing golf and the PS said 2 mos.  However, the revision surgery I had on Tues. will probably extend that timetable by a couple of weeks or more.  I started walking by the 2nd week, just a short distance at first and then gradually farther until I got up to 1 1/2 miles.  My usual distance before bc was 3 mi. at a brisk pace.  I need to start doing more exercise, like lunges and leg exercises.  I already feel like I'm getting "gooey" around the middle from all this sitting and reading and watching tv. 

Be good to yourself and don't try being wonder woman.  Your body will tell you what you can do.  The advice I got from a lot of sources including some nurse friends was, "Take the pain medicine when you need it.  Don't suffer needlessly." 

Gentle hug.

• rose847
    rose847 Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2009
    Options

I am trying to make a decision about bilateral reconstruction and running out of time since I am now a month out from my surgical biopsy. I was originally told by a PS that any kind of reconstruction made him nervous because I have fibromyalgia and costochondritis. Went for a second opinion on Sat. Was told I may be eligible for the one step implants as long as I would be willing to go down from my Dcup size to a B. After thinking I would not have any breasts an Acup sounds good to me! The problem is that I am very worried about more chronic pain issues because I already suffer from neck/shoulder pain from the fibro and rib cage pain from the costo when flared up.  My muscles often spasm on me. I also developed a hematoma in my breast. I need to speak to the newest PS again to get my questions answered. I was wondering how the people who posted of problems and pain a few months ago are doing? I am so anxious about all this and feel like I am in a very bad dream.

• Meg9
    Meg9 Member Posts: 306
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Everyone, We all seem to have a love of chocolate. Years ago my son bought me a mug that said," give me some chocolate and no one gets hurt!"  Every year my DH has a birthday cake made for me...chocolate cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream filling...chocolate frosting topped with chocolate covered strawberries. Yum! Yum! It's the only time I have chocolate. I stopped eating chocolate about 3 years ago when I cut all processed sugar from my diet. I think that is when my hot flashes stopped.

I'm a bit of a health nut. No caffeine or alcohol. In stead of coffee or tea I drank Postum.  They stopped making Postum and now I drink PERO. The rest of the time I drink bottled spring water. I eat organically grown fruit, veggies, whole grains, chicken and fish.

Okiegal, I still feel pressure and phantom nipple pain. At the end of a busy day, I ache. I have muscle spasms and lifting is still a problem. Sleeping is most uncomfortable. I find the stitching inside nightgowns very irritating. I am always aware of these breasts, but when I'm busy I don't notice them. For some strange reason I am very protective of them, like they might break if I'm not careful. lol  I don't know how much normalcy I should expect from implants?

If I think about it, I was always aware of my natural breasts too. I think in time we will get used to our new breasts.  

Tracy, I think you might be going to work to soon. Listen to you body...it will let you know what you can do. My BS said no meds at 2 weeks.  My PS gave me a prescription for a few more days and then just Tylenol. My drains came out after 2 weeks and I still had fluid building up for a long time after.  My PS said that my body would still produce fluid for a while. She said it would take time to get back to normal...around 3 months.

My girl friend started chemo 2 weeks ago. She had umx without reconstruction. After her first chemo treatment she got very sick at the dr office and became dehydrated. They made her sit there until the office closed and then they sent her next door to the hospital ER where she stayed until 2:00 a.m. The following Sunday she was at church.  I just brought her a huge pot of chicken soup I made and she told me she was planning to go to work next week!  WHAT!  Some people just bounce back. I am definitely not one of them!

Carole, I can't walk on tread mill for a week because of the D&C. I was successful in losing 3 of the 5 lbs I gained since bmx. I weighted myself this morning and I gained 1 lb back! Ugh!  How is your incision healing?

Fortunate1- Sounds like an interesting play and a good weekend!

I had a busy weekend filled with family and friends...Lunch at the river, visit with a friend, dinner at a new restaurant, and shopping.  

I hope you all had a good weekend!

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

Mmm, chocolate...Good morning all, hope you had a great weekend. 

Considering all of the thoughts before me, I'm just going to ramble. I am now inspired to find nice and helpful women in the bra department! Went for a short bike ride yesterday (fun) and swam a little at my brothers pool in the afternoon. I'm still disappointed at the way my pectoral muscles feel when I swim. They are feeling better than last time, but it's not the same muscle action. I'm confident that I will adjust, but it made me regret my reconstruction decison a little bit. Without reconstruction, I would still have the exact muscle function as before. I would have recovered much quicker, like your friend Meg9. BUT, I would have had the considerable mental adjustment to make. I don't swim that much, maybe this attitude "problem" is part of my mourning/adjustment process.

Welcome MelodyMetz! I didn't know what "Costocondritis" was, so I just read a little bit about it on the Mayo Clinic website. You don't mention your age or your bc diagnosis, I noticed this is your first post. A little more info might help us give you a more nuanced opinion? Never the less, I'll take a crack at it. I took pain meds (Percocet) for about 8 weeks after my surgery. I'm still taking a muscle relaxer (this will probably be an absolute must for you if you have reconstruction.) I had tremendous skin sensitivity, itching and would have had significant pain after surgery without the meds. I don't understand why doctors are so stingy with the stuff immediately after surgery! I am still experiencing an odd stinging pain syndrome except when I'm moving. I have some random stinging in the chest area and various other superficial parts of my body accompanied by a sensation of stretching or pulling. My PS is puzzled, I'm getting frustrated. I assume this would fall into a "post matectomy pain syndrome." Have you researched this topic yet? It's something to consider. There's also a forum under "Breast Reconstruction" about opting out. You might want to talk to some of those ladies as well. I know this is a difficult decision, but we will help as much as possible. Does anyone know if you can "opt out" and then "opt in" at a later date if you change your mind? I think it's a possibility.

TracyAnne - From my perspective, you need to take a few more weeks (Yikes....7th graders!). A mastectomy with reconstruction, while not a complicated procedure, is still a major surgery and you need time to heal. I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I was only going to heal so fast and that the race didn't include any medals. Surprised What?! Don't let your PS set a false standard. Do yourself and everyone a favor by returning to work adequately healed, ready and able.

Meg9 - You sound like a lovely friend. Chicken soup, what a kind gesture! By the way, what is PERO?

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Welcome, Melody, and hello to everyone else.  Melody, one comment you made sent up a red flag for me.  It's not often a surgeon doesn't recommend surgery.  Your first PS sounds like a man who shows concern for his patients.  You do not have to decide on reconstruction now.  If you choose, you can have skin-saving mastectomies that leave extra skin for later recon.  I know about this option because my aunt's BS left the extra skin so that she could have reconstruction later.  No, it doesn't look pretty.

Also, some women have the mastectomies without the extra skin saving and go back a year or two later for reconstruction.  In this event I believe you have to have either TEs (tissue expanders) or microsurgery like the DIEP flap.  I've communicated with a woman on this website who had her BMX two years ago and she is going to NO this month for the DIEP flap.  If you have a lot of pain from your maladies, Melody, you probably wouldn't tolerate TEs because from what I read, the process of filling them and expanding the skin and muscle is painful.

There's a large group of women who opt out of reconstruction and are happy with their decision.  Maybe you could read that thread.  I read it for a while out of interest because the women seemed so strong in their determination to do what they wanted to do, not something they felt forced into doing by society's expectations.

As for me, I have some regrets for what I've lost.  As Okiegal mentioned, using your pectoral muscles is weird now, and my PS told me it would always be like that.  (He didn't mention that prior to the surgery, however!)  When you flex your pecs, the breasts jump.  Also, I don't really like these breasts.  But they do provide a breast shape, and in time I expect to get used to them.  Maybe I'll even grow fond of them!  I don't think I would happy at all wearing the prostheses.  I read that they're heavy and hot and uncomfortable.  Of course, a lot of women adjust to them, too.

The pain issue is strictly individual.  I didn't have a lot of pain.  Or maybe I have a high tolerance.  By the time the ON-Q pump was removed 4 days after surgery, I was taking tylenol.  But I didn't do much.  I went from the bed to the recliner in the living room, and my husband waited on me, serving me meals.  He even had to help me dry off when I got out of the shower the 1st week.

One odd SE I've been experiencing after the BMX and then again after the revision surgery is numbness and tingling in my hands and arms.  I've developed symptoms, especially in the right hand and arm, of carpal tunnel.  The night after the revision surgery (left breast) I woke up with shooting hot pains as well as numbness in the right wrist and hand.  Naturally I wasted no time doing some research on the internet and my symptoms are classic carpal tunnel.  All of this started AFTER the surgeries. 

Apologies for rambling on.  Melody, I wish you wisdom in making your decisions and send hugs.

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Welcome Melody, Wow, you have a lot on your plate. I hope your PS is able to do a reconstruction for you. If no decisions can be made yet, ask if a delayed reconstruction could be done. Ask lots of questions - write down the answers. The thing that catches my attention is the muscle spasms. A reconstruction affects your muscles, even with the help of alloderm. I was given a strong muscle relaxant in the hospital. I was given morphine twice, and nothing when I went home. I had a prescription for percoset but didn't take it. I was one of the very lucky ones on the pain issue.

Tracy- take the time off. Even if it's just one more week (it sounds like much more would be better!). Seventh graders - could there be a harder teaching job? I don't think the docs can predict how our bodies are going to react to the surgery. They have a better idea than we have, but everyone is so different. And that's true even among our little group with the same procedure.

I was in the mall yesterday and looked for the bra that fit me.It does have a name, "one fabulous fit"- the perfect T-shirt bra- Maidenform 7959. It is an underwire so it may not work for you bra hunters.

OK, about the play. It was a very broad comedy, 2 men playing all the roles with quick costume changes. When they were in drag they were wild caricatures of women, with every stereotype exaggerated. At one point one of the "women" came out topless, vamping her way down the stairs. The breasts were very fakey, large, high on her chest, flat painted nipples, laughter everywhere.  Yikes, a bad reconstruction! It was funny but I was really creeped out. Breast cancer intrudes once more, in a silly play. How surreal.

Last night we cooked ribs and corn on the cob and took dinner to Dad. He ate and enjoyed and we were so glad to please him. A great end to the weekend. 

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Everybody,

Melody, I think that any surgery is going to come along with a certain amount of pain and discomfort. I would try to learn as much as I can and ask your doctors as many questions that you feel you need to. Find doctors that you feel confident with and follow their advice. I wish you luck in making your choice.

Reconstruction is not for everyone. If I didn't have it I would have regretted it. I did have the "one step" reconstruction and sometimes I regret I did. Yesterday, I had my usual aches, but I ignore them. Then last night when I was getting ready for bed there was a very noticeable difference in my right breast. It has always been a little lower, but now it is way lower and hanging to the right. I was very upset. I am sooo tired of this. I never planned on any "tweaking" or revision surgery, but I don't know if I can live with this breast. I have an appointment with my PS on the 16th and will ask her what she thinks.

My thoughts on revision surgery...cons...the risk of going under anesthesia again, possible infection, drains, more time to recuperate, not being happy with the results, drooping again or what ever else could happen. There's always the risk of CC.  Would it be worth it?

Pros...My breast would be more even. Bras would fit me better instead of being lopsided. Self image would improve. 

Fortunate1, Sounds like a funny play. I think we are all a little sensitive when it comes to breasts now. Thanks for the bra suggestion...I'll need to go to the mall again! What store carries it?

Okiegal, Pero is an instant, natural, hot beverage that I buy at the health food store. It is 100% caffeine free and it taste like coffee.  

Carole, My PS explained to me that when we had our mx a large nerve to the arm is cut. I still do not have full strength in my hands. I did not have any nodes removed, because my BS wanted to avoid future complications for me with my arms and hands. He said if he had to he would go back and take some. Your symptoms may be SE from the nodes that were removed. I would ask my BS.

Hope you all have a good day. I busy working today. 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

With all this activity, our thread may make the Most Active list!

I went to a new hairstylist this afternoon and had my hair cut.  The last cut was 9 wks ago, so I had quite a mop of hair.  The young woman did a nice job. 

I wore one of my new Barely There bras for my brief outing.  It's very comfortable and has a nice shape that is pretty much unrelated to my new breast shape.  There's an empty space.  I had a flash of inspiration.  Got out an old bra.  Cut out the center diameter of each cup, about 3 in. across and inserted the cut-outs in my bra as a filler.  I've about decided to keep all four of the new bras.  I'm wondering how that molded foam holds up to laundering.  Has anyone bought those bras before?

My next bra shopping foray will be at Dillard's.  I've never been known to do anything halfway! 

Meg, I'd wondering if nerve damage isn't behind the numbness and tingling in the arms and hands.  I felt it immediately after the BMX.  In my hospital room I started  exercising my arms and hands to alleviate the sensations.  At first I was fearful of lymphedema, but there isn't any swelling. 

I don't think revision surgery would be that big a deal, Meg.  You've already healed from the BMX.  I'll be interested in what you PS tells you.  You might not have to have drains just for repositioning the implant.  The anesthesia doesn't frighten me, perhaps because I haven't had any problem with it. 

Meg, okiegal, and fortunate1, how do you incisions look at this point?  Also, what effect does the massaging have? 

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Brief answers.....I'll be back later.

Macy's, but since it's Maidenform it might be everywhere.

My scar is pink and flat. In a few little spots it's very pale. It's smooth on the surface, stiff underneath the skin. I don't think massage has done anything....though who knows, maybe the boob appreciated the extra attention. 

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi,

I just went to hit reply and hit report this by mistake. I don't know what that means, but..sorry.

Carole, Maybe you could patent that bra filler you invented today! Must make you feel good to have a good hair cut. 

My scars are dark pink and mostly smooth, in some areas they are a lighter pink. On my right breast the scar is a little bumpy on the ends. I have been using the maderma cream for a while now.

I think gentle massaging has helped me with the hard feeling that I felt for a long time. My breast still feel hard to me, but they are a getting softer and they move more. They also bounce a little when I walk. :o)

Again, there is a noticeable difference in the right breast. It looks a little deflated compared to the left one. I wish my appointment with the PS was sooner, but who knows what the ever changing boob will do next.

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Meg, don't worry. I'm sure they check us out if we're "reported", and it's easy to see that we're doing fine. I think I'll go looking for Maderma cream and give it a try. I really want the scar to relax and let the implant expand a little more. I would be content then. 

Carole, isn't a new haircut just the best feeling? I always feel beautiful afterward.  

• rose847
    rose847 Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2009
    Options

A big thank you to everyone for sharing their experience and advice! I just realized that you can input diagnosis info into preferences. More to share-

Originally diagnosed in 2005 with early stage 1, 5mm IDC, Hormone-/Her2+, 0 nodes. Had lumpectomy and radiation. 6% chance of recurrance. Now told considered radiation failure. Local recurrance-3mm/same markers. Now scared of this Her2+ because of it's known aggresive trait and high % of distant spread. Treatment options are another problem I am in th middle of because I fall into a grey area due to my tumor size. No studies or protocols so my oncologist says no treatment. Tomorrrow am taking all my slides/films to another hospital for 2nd opinion.

Today I am writing out pros/cons of one step implant reconst vs no reconstruction to help me with my decision. Have left a message with PS nurse to hopefully get questions answered. PS is out of town for the week-why does that always seem to happen. Last week I developed a hematoma in my breast from the surgical biospy and my BS was out of town!

I am also going to visit a prosthesis shop today. Was surprised to find that they are all just specialty lingerie shops that do this on the side. I stopped by Nordstrom's Dept store, I am in Chicago area, and they actually brought out a prosthesis to the checkout desk to talk to me as other customers were standing there. I was not a happy person.  Hopefully today will be better.

I have found this site and all of your stories extremely helpful. Hugs and blessings to everyone for full recoveries.

Melody

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Melody, you seem calm and in control today.  Best wishes on your fact-finding mission.  There are many diagnoses and many treatments out there.  One size does not fit all.

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole - My scars are starting to get lighter. They are a medium pick at this point. I have a slight "dog ear" on one breast, toward the center of the other breast I have an elongated divet and at the other end of the incision at the end and a slight "shelf". I also have an adhesion on the left side where my drain was that looks like a small belly button. All of these small issues will be addressed in the coming month or two, probably during the nipple reconstruction. I still haven't decided 100% on that, but I will get these other small issues taken care of. I tried using some Cocoa Butter to soften the scars, but started having a skin reaction to the cream. Darn, I'm sensitive! I guess I should try the Maderma. It would be nice if the scars weren't so hard. I think it would help with the "bra fit" issue. You're idea of cutting out the center of your bras is great. I've been scheming about making little "nipple pillows". My lastest idea was to sacrifice an old pair of hose and stuff them with something. Foam? Fiberfill? Then see if it would adequately fill out the space. I found instructions for knitting a breast form somewhere online, so I thought, "Why not something smaller?"

I too was wondering about laundering the firmer foam bras. I like to be able to throw everything in the washing machine, but I could be convinced to hand launder them, if necessary.

I'm surprised at everyone's pain issues. I thought I was the only one stuggling with this. Wonder if it's all nerves healing and if certain vitamins would help speed things up (I'm taking a multi, stress B, Calcium with Mag. and St. John's Wort.) I know it takes a long time for nerves to heal. Six months or more. I'm going to try to take it easy today. No exercise, which has only been light. My stinging has flared up to a point of discomfort that I hadn't felt in weeks. I even took a half of a Percocet last night. It didn't really help, but I did sleep better. We'll see.

Fortunate1 -  We definately have a different view of breasts and their importance and symbolism. I'm sure I would have reacted outside the intended norm as well. I now have a very different opinion about breast enhancement. On one hand, the industry of breast enhancement has fueled the development of techniques and products that have benefited me/us and I'm grateful. However, it really seems more like "self mutalation" to me now, than before. Perhaps I'm just feeling radical and will calm down as I get further and further away from my surgery. I can understand why a woman would want a breast reduction or lift, but just implants? Maybe it's not as big of a deal as what we've had. I see even more clearly now that breasts carry a certain real and perceived sexual power and I can understand why some women would desire that. It's certainly a personal choice and I'm glad women are freer to make those types of choices, but I wonder if there isn't  more and more of an almost overwelming pressure in that direction (as an aside, this probably explains the pervasive presence of padded and underwire bras). As an example, my niece, against the very expressed wishes of her parents, had her nose and lip pierced (she's over 21 and out of the house). Her parents were very upset, as was much of her extended family, myself included. Why ruin beautiful skin? What about the social consequences? However, I couldn't help but remember that her mother had undergone a "secret" breast lift and augmentation several years ago. Each action is decorative, each is more socially acceptable to certain specific groups. Each has it's own power, benefits and costs. 

Sorry to be so philisophical....just some ideas that started ruminating. Fortuante1, look what you started! LOL

Meg9 - I'll have to look for PERO, sounds like something I might like. I would also think that having the "rambling" breast brought back into line is something relatively simple or uninvolved and recommended. You'll probably be happier in the long run. My PS said something to the effect "we can move them up, but can't really get them (implants) to come down."

Guess I better get with it, it's getting lighter outside! Have a great day, everyone.

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

MelodyMetz - I just read your biography, what a difficult time you and your family have had over the last several years! Hugs and blessings to you and your whole family.

I applaud your efforts to make a very thoughtful decision. I didn't do the kind of research you are undertaking and have had some second guessing (my Achilles heel) as a result. Unlike Carole, my PS did mention that they lift and then detach the pectoral muscle before inserting the implant. They then create a sling with the Alloderm, to keep everything in place. However, I didn't really understand all of the implications of the procedure. I was reassured that there would be no permanent physical "disablility", but I've certainly worried plenty about it ever since. We can never really know, but only try to make the best decision possible. We are happy to answer any small or large questions for you...even the embarrassing ones. It's all part of the healing phase that we are going through. If you are worried about being overly personal, you can always private message one of us from within your home page. Good luck and come back! 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Here's everyone's giggle or chuckle for the day.  Yesterday I googled "falsies."  Google didn't blink.  Coughed up several websites.  On one of them, I saw what appeared to be exactly what I was looking for to fill the "vacancies" in my bras.  Small round foam discs advertised as "nipple covers."  A bit pricey at almost $5 a pair, but I sent a pair to my shopping basket.  Was checking out with Paypal when something alerted me to re-check the shopping basket.  Whoa!  S & H fee had been added to the tune of $6.99.  Now the little discs were $11.  So I cancelled the order.  Now I'm wondering if something similar might be available at a retail store. 

I wish Yearofthehat would come back and tell us about her revision surgery this month.  In her original post starting this thread, she said her reconstructed breasts were "lumpy."  That meant nothing to me at the time, but now it does, post opt.  A certain amount of lumpiness comes and goes and also occasional little divets. 

Okiegal, interesting  that your PS said he couldn't get the implants to come down.  My PS suggested a revision surgery 3 mos out where he would "reposition" the right implant to elimiate a high bulge and give the breast a more natural droop to match the left breast.  I assume he would have to lower the implant.  I'd have to know more before I bought into this revision.  Namely, where is the incision placed?  Would I need a drain?  What's the recovery time?  Etc.  He said it was possible that the implant would fall a little of its own accord in time.  I read a post weeks ago about advice from a PS to go braless and let the breasts develop a natural droop. 

Those of you who are farther out from surgery, when did you stop sleeping on your back?  Also, when did you start going braless?  I'm making up a list of questions for my apptment with the NP next Tues.

So far I love my new haircut.  Interestingly, I did not tell the young hairstylist about my bc.  I don't know why.  She was plumpish and sported cleavage.  From Chalmette, LA, which was hit hard by Katrina.  She evacuated to Houston and stayed there for some months.  Maybe I felt protective toward this nice young woman.

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole, I think I saw what you describe as nipple covers at Macy's. I have also seen these stick on falsies...rubber looking things. I wonder if they could be trimmed to fill the void?  I'm happy with the "add a size bra," it comes with the tip filled. I was concerned that machine washing would ruin it also, so I hand washed it and it was fine. I do have a cycle on my washing machine that says hand wash. I am going to try it next time. I did not use the dryer.

After six weeks I started to go braless. Sometimes I would hurt afterward. That is also when I started the gentle massages. Shortly after I slept on my side. I was uncomfortable, because these boobs don't move. It was like I had bumpers stopping me from turning. Last night while lying on my back, I felt like a had a very tight bra on. When I turned on my side I was more comfortable. 

Melody, you are doing all the right things. Find out as much as you can and ask, ask, ask. I knew nothing going into this and little time to find out. I just did what the dr suggested and spoke to a couple of friends who went through this. They did not share as much as with me that they could have.  I think they did not want to persuade me. I wish they had told me more. 

I was under the impression that plastic surgery meant that I would come out with perfect looking breasts. Isn't that why people go to plastic surgeons? ... to correct all the little imperfections. I also believed that the "one step" meant just that...no need for additional surgery. No one ever mentioned revision surgery.  

Okiegal, I find my pain comes and goes. Some days I feel normal, and then other days I experience aches. My breast have definitely dropped and in a natural way. They are not shaped anything like I expected. They are not round. They are blobs sitting on my chest.

Back to work. I received two calls today...one for a baptism and one a funeral. Life goes round.

I hope you all have a great day!

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Oh dear, what did I say, Okiegal? Did you not realize that it was a male actor sporting totally fake bizarre costume boobs that bothered me? Or is it that I wear an underwire? Anyway, I definitely do look on with a bit of breast envy at the lavish display of flesh in evidence out there. However, I long ago realized that I wouldn't trade my small shapely non saggy breasts for big ones, natural or augmented. I liked them. It is a source of uncomfortable bewilderment to me that I am now trying to change or accept this new breast that doesn't quite match it's natural sister. Am I shallow or just trying to look 'normal' again? I already look normal in clothes. Maybe it's a sculpting thing. I wouldn't let a student stop at what I have. But then it's kind of pretty on it's own terms, complete with a BC statement even. But...but....but....you get the picture. Philosophize on. We really should be talking about this.

Carole, being the fortunate one, with fewer pain issues and only one side affected, I started sleeping on my side within a few weeks, as soon as the drains came out I think, maybe even before. Hated those drains. Around the house I went braless immediately on losing the wrappings that the PS had me bound up in. The 'bra' he gave me has no support whatsoever, so it doesn't count. It worked to hold gauze pads in place. He had me wearing a stretchy compression band above the breasts to keep the muscle from pushing the implant up. Now I go braless around the house, but the asymmetry shows too much to go braless in public.

Melody - I second everything okiegal said. You are so much more aware of your options than I was. If you are a candidate for the one-step, go for it. We grouse and grumble and rejoice, trying to fine tune and adjust to it all. This is definitely the place to share concerns.  That said, it is an easier procedure on your body, and could be the one for you. Good luck hugs, ask anything.

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

Fortunate1 - Not to worry, I completely understood your discription of the play. I started thinking based on your description of the costuming as "creepy" (to you) and realized that I also now have a different perspective than the "usual audience" on a number of subjects, including asking for help in the bra department and being more opinionated on the topic of breast augmentation. Previously, although I could have wished for bigger breasts, I was quite happy with what I had. Long ago, I realized that petite suited me just fine and that, if necessary, I could wear a push up bra. In my mind, the best of both worlds. This change in life has caused me to think (perhaps too much!) about things from a different angle. There's so much you just can't know before you go down almost any road of life. The same issue of unknown and unintended consequences is part of my hesitation with going forward with nipple reconstruction. I looked in the mirror the other day and thought, "I want nipples!" It seemed that I had finally and instantly decided, but with the return of the "all over prickling", I'm wondering if I want anything else done. But then I remember that I want a little clean up of the dog ear, etc. What I really want is to be back to normal, more or less. Patience is a virtue, right? It will come eventually.

On another note, I think I started sleeping on my side at about 8 weeks. I slowly stopped wearing a bra at night, as well. I just took it a night here, a night there. I still sleep with one pillow to hug when I am on my side. It keeps my arm off of my breast, a little more comfortable. During the day, I feel more comfortable wearing a bra and wonder if healing would be improved by not wearing one at  this point? I started very light massage at about 3 or 4 weeks, I think.

Carole - Now that I think about it, my PS's comment was regarding what he could do without surgery. They can tape up the implant, sort of leave it taped up and it will heal higher. If they need to lower it, I think it's a surgical procedure. It was a quick comment by him, so I don't really know much more.

I'm still scheming on a design for "nipple pillows" (bra inserts). If I sew any, I'll take a picture and post it!

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

I'm tired and kind of dull this afternoon. I've been wrestling with a school computer system and it has won, for now. It's at least 2 hours later for you all, so I'll say good evening for now. Sleep comfortably.