Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options
1104105106107108110»

Comments

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yes I would recommend Dr. Rhodes. Just keep in mind that she is not warm and fuzzy. However IMO she is a brilliant surgeon. She told me I was the first to have a full C implant. I have had absolutely no complications or additional surgeries. Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. Good luck to all...

• thatsvanity
    thatsvanity Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2017
    Options

I had the same problem. The surgeon increased the size of the "too small breast pocket" once that happened it healed fast. If your breast are really hard I don't know but I think you should tell your doctor. If you don't like the result you can have revision surgery.

Good luck to you

• Sunrisefish
    Sunrisefish Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi ladies, this is my first post to this form, but unfortunately not my first breast cancer diagnosis. I was originally diagnosed in 2014 and had lumpectomy and radiation. A year ago I felt a lump in the same breast which I was VERY worried about. Had a mammogram and ultrasound which both said Not cancer. Last December had a MRI which also said Not cancer. By March of 2017 I insisted they just remove the lump, which they did. Turns out it was my original cancer back. All diagnostic testing missed it. I just had a BMX on May 17 with immediate gummy bear implants. I am 1 week out of surgery and so far so good. Breasts are lumpy but look ok and both have some feeling. Anyone else have direct implants after radiation?

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2017
    Options

Welcome Sunrisefish!

Sorry to hear about how you arrived at this point. Good thing you were persistent. I haven't had experience with radiation, so I can't answer your question, but I wanted to let you know that you were heard.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,839
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have not had radiation either. Good luck and gentle hugs

• woodsyny
    woodsyny Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Options

Sunrisefish, I had bilateral mastectomy on 4/17 with direct gummy bear implants. Still having pain from the alloderm graft that is used to hold the implants in place. Right side settling down, left still acting up with seromas.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello ladies, I researched about alloderm online. My PS didn't talk to me about what my options are or anything. I have single mastectomy and I do not want Diep Flap. However, they put the TE in my left breast and I just started the expansion since June 2017. My question is can I still now do the recon with alloderm. Who is the PS that does this it doesn't seem my PS knows about it as he would have told me. Please advise.

• NotHerToo
    NotHerToo Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2017
    Options

There are many around the country who do this procedure, but I think if you already have TE, then you've already begun a very different procedure. In my own experience and research, the alloderm, or Vicryl or TIGR mesh involves a one-time procedure that requires no expansion or replacement of TE's. If you've already begun another process, I'm not sure what the benefit would be now.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    edited June 2017
    Options

Alloderm is sometimes used when the TE is exchanged for the implant. Depends on the doc.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi everyone, during my last TE expansion, the PA told me that radiated skin cannot hold the silicon or saline implants. She suggested the DIEP which she thought I wanted initially. She doesn't mention how the alloderm would support the implants. Are they keeping something from me? She also said implants will require future surgeries. Have anyone here been successful without having to redo the surgery? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    edited June 2017
    Options

Reme,ber - every PS is different. Yes, there can be problems with radiated skin - and many docs won't deal with it. However many people have TEs installed before radiation and successfully filled afterwards. I know there are some discussions about fat grafting helping radiated skin. Sorry - it's off topic but no one should assume you can't have implants if you have radiation.

• carolehalston
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have no up-to-date information about the one-step procedure with Alloderm. When I had my bilateral mx in 2009, my PS was doing this reconstruction exclusively. Formerly he had placed TEs. I wanted the fastest recovery so that I could begin my "new normal." That's why I didn't consider the DIEP, which was also available to me.

As it turned out, I did have some issues with healing but did heal well eventually.

Best of luck to those of you who are at this stage of your bc journey.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,786
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have had my one step implants for almost 6 years. I do have Alloderm slings, which act as a kind of internal bra. I did not have rads to the chest so can't speak to that, but had only the initial surgery (at same time as bmx).

• Sunrisefish
    Sunrisefish Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2017
    Options

I had direct implants placed over the muscle during BMX on May 17th. I had previous radiation 2 years ago. So far I have no complications. My PS says they are getting better and better at doing implants on radiated skin using Alloderm, fat grafting and the new anatomical implants. I know my complication rate is higher, but I have only had one surgery and I have completed breasts. My scars are completely healed. I have full range of motion and full feeling in both breasts. I figure it is worth a shot to do a more non invasive surgery. Many women on these boards have been successful with implants after radiation.

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2017
    Options

Im scheduled for a BMX with one step reconstruction on Tues. I'm still unsure if its the right decision. Im concerned with not being able to find something suspicious because of implants. ie;lump (which i hope never happens) . Does having implants make it more difficult to find a lump? It its placed behind the muscle would it not make it difficult to find something if it was on the chest wall? I also was informed about the risk of ALCL, albeit it small, it has been weighing on my mind.

Any input?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,786
    edited August 2017
    Options

There will always be some percentage of risk on any recon surgery. I have had my one steps for 6 years without incident. As far as "lumps" , there is no breast tissue left after the mx. All I feel is the squishy implant. If you're looking for guarantees, there, sadly, are none. If the small chance of risk is more than you're willing to take, then don't do it, but most who have had recon have had issue with this. Risk vs. reward.

ETA- ALCL is extremely rare and the research I read mentions that more women, over more years will need to be looked at to establish a clear relationship

• Hopefloats41725
    Hopefloats41725 Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2018
    Options

Tulsa, Oklahoma here.  I had two failures at Tattooing my aerola's.  My insurance paid first, I paid for second treatment...the tattoo's wouldn't take.  I understand the skin is too thin.  Does anyone know more that I do....can thin skin take tattooing and how long will they last.  I thought permanent was permanent.  I don't want to waste my money and it's hard to trust people. If you know anyone around the Tulsa area (Oklahoma city area) that can honestly stand by their work...please let me know. 

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    edited December 2018
    Options

HopeFloats- not sure how active this thread is but please contact whippetmom or SpecialK while neither live in your area both are very active in all aspects of the reconstruction process and have a wealth of resources which include tattoo artists that can/will help us

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hope, their might be some nipple tattoo artists that travel to Plastic Surgeons offices. Maybe one will come to a city near you.

Look up: Vinney Myer - Maryland

Renee Maschinot - Ft. Lauderdale, Fl

If you go to their websites you can see where they travel. Renee did my 3D tattoos last month. She trained under Vinney. I love her and the job she did!!

You might call both to see if you can get a referral to someone close to you.

Blessings and good luck

• carolehalston
    edited December 2018
    Options

Sorry I can't help. I was able to keep my nipples. They're a bit flat but there was no need for tattooing. Good luck!

• gibbos
    gibbos Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi- im new to the community so hope I’m doing this right!

I’m scheduled for a right mast in early Oct (2019). (DCIS)

I’m scheduled for a pre pec with a silicone implant but can’t seem to find much info on it. Any info would be appreciated.

I had a left mast in 2004also DCIS. LD recon with saline implant. Replaced with silicone in 2014. PS did a bad job and it had to be replaced 3 months later. I chose a gummy bear. Which now is going to be replaced again when the Oct surgery is done.

I’m worried that the pre pec will be a problem and now am wondering if I’ve mAde the right decision.

I’m all over the place with this and the clock is ticking. Ugh.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi gibbos,

Yes, it's a stressful time trying to make all the decisions.

Take a look at these articles to see if there is any helpful information in there for you:

Implant Reconstruction

You may also want to read in some of the more current surgery topics (e.g. https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...).

You may consider starting a group for those getting surgery in October 2019, or we'll help you with that as well.

Hang in there, and let us know if we can help.

• gibbos
    gibbos Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thanks. I have read a lot of those topics and they are helpful. To top it off, I was supposed to see my PS today so I could make a decision. Thankfully I listened to the podcast on implant illness and asked if the surgeon could even do a DIEP flap. And he couldn't . So now I've been referred to someone else.

I'd be interested in starting a group but am unfamiliar with how this works.

Thanks for your patience.... which is something I am totally out of right now!