Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• okiegal
    okiegal Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole and Fortunate1 - Ah, yes, Santa Fe is a lovely place...Taos too. I think my sister and I will try to avoid spending too much on art! But, we will definately be eating well. I've been to Pasqual's and will be going back. It was fantastic. There is also a place called "Kakawa". It's a chocolate house featuring a variety of drinking chocolates and other edibles. Truly a religious experience! It's like living the experience of that movie "Chocolate"!

I have lots of errands for tomorrow, but I'll check!

• fortunate1
    fortunate1 Member Posts: 467
    edited August 2009
    Options

Bon Voyage! Have a feast for the eyes and palate. Chocolate, I LOVE chocolate. Of course you'll have to look at all the jewelry on the square. 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,839
    edited August 2009
    Options

Have fun on your vacation, Okiegal! 

• Stonebrook108
    Stonebrook108 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi ladies,

Well, I had my nipple reconstrution done today and it went great...so I hear from the nurses.

I'm all taped up with gauze and paper tape and can't remove it till Sat. I have no pain at all. I guess because I'm still numb from my mastectomy. I haven't even taken a tylenol.

My sister works in the o/r dept and even the anesthosiolgist said that the PS did a great job. I'll keep you all posted.

Be well,

Ann

• Meg9
    Meg9 Member Posts: 306
    edited August 2009
    Options

Have a great time on your vacation Okiegal.

Ann- What great news for you! Heal well! How encouraging to all of us who are undecided.

Carole- How are you healing? Did you see your PS? I was thinking about you.

Hope You all have a great weekend!  Off to work today... Sunday we'll be taking my son and his girlfriend out for her birthday at the river. Hoping for better weather...looks like rain again.

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Meg9, I have not seen my PS yet.  I have a 10am apptment on Mon.  I feel fine, but I didn't walk this morning because of the NP's caution to keep the left incision dry.  I'll report back after I see the PS.  The incision doesn't look bad.  No infection.  Just that narrow little strip of yellow tissue that is probably Alloderm.

I had a visit yesterday with my cousin Iris, who has lost her mother and her younger sister to bc.  Iris was the first one to be dx.  She's a 12 yr. survivor.  Mother and both daughters inherited the BRACA1 mutation.  Iris's daughter Theresa also inherited the gene.  She had a prophylactic bilat and hysterectomy.  Iris described Theresa's reconstruction.  I think you'll find it amazing as I did.  The surgeons made a circular incision to remove the nipple and aureole.  Everything was done through that circle.  Can you imagine that?  The mastectomy and the reconstruction with TEs and later with implants.  She also had the lat flap because she was concerned about looking natural.  She chose a constructed nipple and tattoed aureole.  Iris said there is hardly any scar visible.

I tested negative for the BRACA1 mutation, so my bc is apparently luck of the draw. 

Today the Solheim Cup competition between the US women golfers and the European women golfers is on the Golf Channel, so I'll have plenty of entertainment.  Tomorrow afternoon my dh and I are joining another couple to see a movie and go out to eat. 

Ann, that's wonderful news about your nipple reconstruction procedure.  I know you're eager to see the results.  No indecision for you!

Okiegal, you're probably packing and brimming over with anticipation for your trip.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

• okiegal
    okiegal Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks for the "bon voyage" everyone! I'm busy washing clothes, cleaning, packing and just got my hair cut. Carole, that's interesting about your cousin's daughter. I saw something about that type of surgery before I had mine, but I got the impression it was only being done in Japan. I didn't really do a lot of research on it because I knew it wasn't what my surgeon was planning. I'm not sure, but I think they have to use saline implants for that type of reconstruction because the silicone won't fit throught the hole. Interesting though.

Ann, wonderful to hear about your nipple reconstruction. I'm assuming you had a flap procedure? Hope it heals easily and to your satisfaction.

Wonder how JulieL is doing?

Okay, back to my chores! I'll check back at a later date.

• Stonebrook108
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks girls for all the well wishes. Okiegal have a great vacation. Carol, hope your feeling better

Meg, What part of NY are you from?? I live on Long Island

Take care

Ann

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

All is going so well! Have a good weekend everyone. 

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

I saw my PS yesterday afternoon.  He said the little strip of yellow skin on the left incision is "derma," not Alloderm.  I go to see him again on Mon. when he'll see if the strip has gotten smaller.  He's leaning toward trimming and resuturing.  I had to smile when he commented, "Nice shape, don't you think?"  I agreed as did the NP.  The breast shapes are nice.  I'll be able to appreciate them more at some future time when the incisions are pink lines.

I inquired about massaging, and he said massaging was kind of an outdated idea that was pre-Alloderm.  But he wouldn't object after another month or so if I wanted to work the implants gently from side to side.  One thing this website brings home is there is little concensus on a whole range of subjects relating to surgery, recon, diet and nutrition.

fortunate1, how do you get that information about your surgery, etc., into your diagnosis section of your post?  I've looked at my home page and tried to figure out how to do it, but no success.

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole - Sounds like good news for you all around!  When my PS said to massage, she meant moving them gentle up and down and side to side to break scar tissue. She said that would prevent CC.  I have seen a site about massaging breasts and what I saw was not what see suggested. 

I do not think I have nicely shaped breasts. They are a little uneven...left one is a little lower and I have that "dog ear" on my left breast also which makes it look misshaped. I actually looked better before all the swelling went down. When I look at myself straight on..their OK, but from the side view they are flat....of course I don't have a nipple which I think makes the difference.

I agree that there is little consensus about most topics here. Proof that we are individual and every situation is different. 

I was wondering how fortunate1 posted all the info also and where is the photo page? I can't find that either. I wanted to visit that site to see how mine compare...maybe I'm being too critical of my outcome! 

• JulieL
    JulieL Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2009
    Options

Okiegal - thanks for asking. I am doing well. It is just that these drains are the worst part. I would feel great if these were gone. They come out on Wednesday, not soon enough for me. All of the swelling is gone and I can see the outline of where the alloderm meets the muscle. Has anyone else been able to see that? I see it on both breasts. I do hope that goes away. I am looking at getting the nipple reconstruction in January but it is hard to think about that right now. Have a great vacation.

• Stonebrook108
    edited August 2009
    Options

JulieL

The drains are the worst part of the surgery. You'll feel much better when their out. I had 4 of them and taking a shower took so long.

My DH and I removed the bandages today and the nipples look great. I still can't believe how the PS does them but, they look great.

Take care,

Ann

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Julie,

Good to hear from you! Happy you are doing well....hang in there! The drains were the worst for me too. It was a turning point for me when they came out. I felt so much better and you will too.

Ann - How great it must be to have nipples you are happy with after mx! Good luck with the rest of your healing.

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi everyone, I'm back from class, and I think they're a nice bunch. At first I always worry as they flounder around with the clay. Then they start to think and it's a beautiful thing to watch.

I got the information in my post by entering it in the signature section of my profile. It said it would show on my posts, and after a delay, it did. 

I think that there is at least one consensus, that drains are horrible. Wait it out, having fluid buildup if they were removed too soon would be worse.

Carole- What's derma? Is it just your own skin, still healing? "Nice shape", I love it. My PS is pretty pleased too except for the...

flat spot! Me too meg. Beautiful from the front, no match from the side. Don't know what's going to happen. I now have nipple envy as well as breast envy. Congratulations Ann!

JulieL- I could feel the edge of the alloderm, but not see it. Not now though. I think it takes a while to settle in and have your own tissue grow into it. 

• JulieL
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Ann and Meg. Maybe after I get the drains out I will be more excited about new nipples. Meg, what kind of followup are you doing for DCIS? I see a medical oncologist on the 25th at the request of my surgical oncologist but she said that I was cured but she wanted me to speak to him. (I think to just reassure me because I am that patient that worries enough to make myself crazy. My surgical oncologist said she already talked to the medical oncologist and the surgical oncologist will be the one that follows me. We have the same final path except mine was grade 3 so I would like your input. Thanks.

• JulieL
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Fortunate1. I just have to be patient.

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Fortunate1, I assume that "derma" is skin.  Dermatologist is a skin dr., right!

JulieL, I hated the drains, too.  Found them disgusting.  The first several days at home, my dh emptied and measured while I looked in another direction.  Such a wimp!   Eventually I watched and then I acted like a grownup and started emptying them myself.  There was never much drainage.  I got them out at 9 days.  There was quite a hole where the tube entered the body.

At first I was so grateful to be rid of the drains, then, being a typical human, I focused on other complaints! 

At 4 wks and 2 days, I feel good.  A few twinges and aches in the chest every now and then, but I haven't even taken tylenol for the last couple of days.  It's really amazing that one can recover from such major surgery fairly quickly.  Of course, I considered myself a really healthy 66-yr-old when I was diagnosed.  My energy level is not back to normal, though.  I'm quite content to be sedentary, and that's not normal for me.

Happy Sunday to all!

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Julie - I had DCIS in both breasts. My right breasts 2.9cm grade 3 and my left breast 4cm grade 3. Both were stage 0. You bring to my attention that my bio is incorrect stating grade 1. Thanks!

I saw 2 medical oncologists. One for a second opinion to make my family happy. Both oncologists said no radiation, because there is nothing left to radiate. No chemo, because I had clear margins and the cancer was still inside the ducts. I was ER+ 30% in my left breast which was not enough to prescribe meds. They also said the side effects from the meds would cause me more harm then good.

One oncologist said she wanted to see me in two months; and I have an appointment with her on Tuesday. The other said he wanted to see me in 6 months. I will also see my PS on Sept 16. The last time I saw her was July 8th.

I feel pretty good. I still get phantom nipple pain occasionally. I am still sensitive where the drains were. I feel that pain most when I'm sleeping. When I have a very active day, I feel a little sore. My drains were in for 2 weeks. I hated them, but when the NP said "you don't want that icky stuff in you, do you?."... I thought of them differently and they didn't bother me as much. 

I am tired a lot. I don't have the same energy or motivation I had before. I think I exhaust myself sometimes worrying about every little thing I see and feel. I need to stop that and I think my energy will come back!

Hang in there, each day gets better and better.

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi, everybody.  I saw the PS again today.  His decision was to keep an eye on the left incision and let nature do its thing.  I'm to keep applying the silvadiene salve and come back for another checkup next Mon.  Fine with me.  I'm in no discomfort and would rather avoid another procedure, if possible..  

Yesterday and today our humidity was lower and it was actually pleasant to walk outside.  Not that I walked outside yesterday!  I was glued to the tv watching the US and Euro lady golfers playing the Solheim Cup.  It was such good competition.

Today after the trip to the dr.'s office, my dh and I had breakfast out and then made a trip to Walmart.  It's so different going to Walmart with him.  We got the items on the list and checked out.  When I go by myself, I end up wandering around and browsing and the cart loads up with things not on the list.

Meg9, when you worry, remind yourself about those great stats for DCIS.  Chance for cure almost 100 per cent.  I, too, lack energy and motivation.  We both lost our momentum as we dealt with bc.

I'm trying not to be nervous as I wait for the oncotype results.  Chemo would mean more lost months.   

Happy Monday!

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole- Good news about the incision! Bravo! 

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi everyone!

Carole - What great news! Lets keep our fingers crossed for the Oncotype dx next.

I have my follow-up with the oncologist tomorrow. On Thursday I go for pre-op blood work for the D&C at the hospital. Then on Friday I meet with my GYN. D&C is scheduled for Sept 4. When does this all end!

A friend of mine will be starting chemo soon. She said her oncologist said no fresh fruit. Did anyone ever hear this? I thought that was unusual.

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Somethings wrong with my print ???

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Meg- I have no idea what happened to your post, but discovered some neat stuff while trying to figure it out. Did you know there's spell check? And how people post text clips and photos? Gee, I never paid much attention to that bar above the reply box.

Good luck at the  appointments, Meg. No fresh fruit? Very unusual. Isn't fresh fruit good for us?

Carole- My wait for the oncotype test was a loooong nightmare of errors and denials. YOURS will be on time, yes, with crystal clear no-chemo-recommended results. YES.

Have a good evening friends. 

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

"Where am I?" I wondered when I stepped outside this morning to go on my walk.  It felt almost cool.  What a difference it makes to wake up to 60's instead of 70's.  Alas, back to the heat and high humidity tomorrow.

There is a life without golf.  Today I'm taking in a movie with a friend named Julie.  We're going to a matinee showing of JULIE AND JULIET.  Tomorrow a neighbor is picking me up to go to her book club meeting.  I'm reading the selected book, which was written by a local author who's an acquaintance.  We once were members of the same writers group.  It will be nice to see her.  Thursday I'm thinking I'll either take my mother out to lunch or pick up lunch and go and eat with her at her house.  She gets around her house in an electric wheelchair and can't walk very far with a walker.

Happy Tuesday!

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

My oncotype number is 9!  No chemo!!!!!

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole- I'm soooo happy for you. And with such a low score! Wonderful!

VERY happy Tuesday. 

• tracyanne
    tracyanne Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2009
    Options

I just had my unilateral mastectomy and alloderm reconstruction on Aug. 19.  Choosing the one-step alloderm procedure was easy for me.  I knew several people who struggled with the tissue expanders and various complications, not to mention the need for frequent visits to the PS for the fills.  I knew I didn't want any procedure that took muscle or tissue from other parts of my body (I'm small-boned and skinny,  sometimes too skinny for optimal health) and that made the alloderm a good choice for me. 

What surprised me was how unfamiliar my hospital nurses were with my procedure.  I had to tell them what the alloderm one-step was, and I live in Austin, TX...a city supposedly on the forefront of technological and medical advances.  During the night, there was a lot of swelling and hardening and my nurse had no clue as to whether or not it was normal...she was still getting over the fact that I had had a mastectomy that morning and yet was laying there with a "breast".  A call to the doctor assured us both that a hardening type of swelling can be expected and that it would be quite temporary.  Sure enough the tissue was softer by morning.

My PS has not mentioned 'revision surgery' but did say that we can do a breast lift on the other side to achieve symmetry.  Like others here have said, my alloderm/silicon breast is a small C (my original size) but rather flat and sitting pretty high up there.  I look forward to things loosening up just a little.

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi everybody!

Carole - WOW! WOW! WOW! How great! What a low number and no chemo! I'm glad the waiting is over for you!  Enjoy your friends, enjoy your mother..I wish mine was here...Enjoy life!

Welcome - Tracyanne, The "one step" was the only procedure I would consider also. I don't even want to think about the revision surgery!  I'm still deciding to have nipple tattoos or not. Surprising, I too have explained the "one Step" to many at doctors offices. They look at me confused. Even the oncologist!  Many PS are still not performing the one step, so there are not many of us out there. Good luck to you. If you have any questions please ask us. 

I saw my oncologist today. My white blood count is still low, but she thinks this may be normal for me. She told me not to worry about the D&C ...just polyps and reminded me that I DCIS...the earliest stage of cancer.  My next appointment is in 3 months. 

Have a great day!

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole, I'm still reveling in your ~**9!**~. 

Welcome Tracyanne, to the tiny and slowly growing one-step club. I also appreciate having another unilateral, which has it's own set of questions. I bet your hardening was a rebellious pec muscle making the adjustment to a new position. I was given a muscle relaxant that helped.

My PS actually said to tell people how relatively easy this all can be, it's still pretty new I guess. Nothing's going to diminish the emotional whallop, but the physical sure can be easier.