Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• Meg9
    Meg9 Member Posts: 306
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carol - I feel so bad that you have to go through another procedure, but I'm glad it will solve the scar healing problems. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and say a prayer for fast healing. Good Luck tomorrow.

I have said before that my right breast is a little lower then my left. Both have a little droop, but not like my natural breasts. I also have that "dog ear" thing going on. Things are constantly changing with these breasts. I was never interested in "tweeking."   Little imperfections with my unnatural breasts I could live with. I don't want any unnessary procedures and the possibility complications. I'm OK with what I have. Of course it could be better, but at what cost. Your one of the lucky ones...your own nipples! I don't think I will get nipple tattoos either...but there's still time to think about it.

I live about 30 miles from Manhattan. Years ago my dh used to get tickets every year to the Westchester Classic at the Westchester Country Club. I went with him once and saw the "golden bear." It was exciting to watch the crowd. 

Fortunate1- It is in the mid 70's today. No humidity and a cool breeze. Last night the temp went into the 50's. When I went out early this morning with the dog; I had a fall jacket on! I don't want  summer to be over so soon.  Everytime I see a story about the fires in CA, I'm shocked by how far they spread and how much they destroy. How often does it rain? ... or does it?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    edited August 2009
    Options

Meg9, I have "weather envy"!  What you describe sounds ideal to me.  I visited Manhattan only once when I attended a writers conference there and stayed at the Marriott on Times Square.  We walked out of the hotel and down to Broadway.  I did touristy things like riding the double-decker bus and taking the Staten Is. ferry over and back.  Enjoyed every minute and would love to go back.

So far I'm not nervous about tomorrow.  Maybe that will change, but attitude is almost ho-hum, let's get this over with.  The difficult part will be getting up early tomorrow morning.  We're supposed to arrive at the surgery center by 7:30 am, which is about the time I start thinking about getting out of bed these days since my surgery.  

All prayers are appreciated.

• fortunate1
    fortunate1 Member Posts: 467
    edited September 2009
    Options

Not quite as hot today, maybe the worst is over.

I think I might have found some limitations. Part of what I do is move heavy boxes of clay -50#- so It is out of my way. I've done it since surgery without much trouble but today it was more uncomfortable- little pains and twitches. Maybe I should try weight lifting, something more disciplined to restrengthen that ornery pec. 

Yes, it does rain here, but not very much, 10-11" a year. September is often our hottest month. We're on yard use water rationing now, and today is my turn, so I'll spend a little time in the yard cooling off.

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow, Carole. And yes, prayers.

• tracyanne
    tracyanne Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks for the welcomes!  I'm new to this discussion board business and have only just now realized there were responses to read :- )  I saw my PS yesterday and he removed the catheter (drain).  It was easy...no pain...he said drains used to be painful on removal because they used to have tiny little pinprick holes in them, through which tissue would start to grow before they were pulled.  Yikes.

I was pretty emotional after leaving the office.  With the drain in, I could think of it all as being "under construction" and so be content with the feel and appearance.  Having the drain out and the steri-strips off the incision that once used to be a nipple leaves me with more of a reality...whoa...this is my breast now.  As much as other docs, including my long-time GP, marvel at how great the recon looks, to me it looks...not like me.  Not what it was, and I still feel sad about that.

Now I am to start massaging the breast a few times a day to help things loosen/settle in.  I feel squeamish about that--it is still sore, after all, where it's not numb, and I get the weird feeling I can mess it all up if I massage it.  I figured out that massaging through the soft cotton comfort bra feels better to me.

Anyone out there who can tell me this won't always feel so high and firm?  I mean, we all want firm breasts, but jeez...!

• okiegal
    okiegal Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi everyone! I'm back from my little trip to Taos and Santa Fe. Had a great time....ate way too much! Now it's time to make good on that New Year's resolution to LOSE WEIGHT!

Carole, as I type this, you are probably arriving at the hospital...and you are in my thoughts and prayers. Very glad to hear about your LOW oncotype score. Great news!

I've decided to wait to have anything like revision or nipple reconstruction...at least for a few months more. I figure, what's the rush? I'm post surgery 12 weeks and am finally starting to feel almost 100% normal. My energy level is back and with the exercise I've been doing, I'm beginning to get back into shape. Fortunate1, I'm doing little arm exercises in order to regain upper body strength. I want to get back to my pre-surgery strength level and then some. My "pins and needles" sensations come and go. I wasn't having them the last few days, but am this morning. They'll probably fade.

Tracyanne, I'm glad you found us. This is a nice and supportive group! I think you'll notice a lot of changes as you heal. You probably still have quite a bit of swelling and the gentle massage will help soften things up. And, in the coming weeks, your implant should drop down and appear more natural. Patience, unfortunately, is a virtue. I'm glad to hear that your doctors are impressed with your reconstuction because that means your plastic surgeon did a good job. It's definately an adjustment and I'm still a little sad, at times, about the "no nipples" thing (BLMX), but I'm really getting used to it and realize that with time and maybe a tattoo or reconstruction, I'll look almost as good as new. I'm just not there yet.

Have a great day everyone....I'm going to try to only post once a day. I need to start getting some stuff done! You all are a great distraction and also my treat! Smile

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Everyone!

Welcome back okiegal! Hope you had a great vacation. Today is week 14 for me and I agree with you that I am feeling more like myself.  I still have this strange feeling of the new breasts that I have to get used to. I notice it more when I try to lift something or when sleeping.  I resumed walking and weight lifting and feel much better for it.

Carole - I'm thinking of you and wish you well. Hope we hear from you soon.

Fortunate1 - I wonder sometimes if I will ever get back to my normal self. To be able to do all the things I did before. I think it will come with more time.  I tried to vacuum the other day and stopped...to much pulling on the chest muscles.

Another great day..sunny, mid 70"s, no humidity. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to enjoy it. Still getting things done before Thursday.

Tracyann - Welcome back! I was thinking about you.

The drains were the worst. Happy for you that yours are out.

My PS said I could gentle massage in an up and down, side by side motion once a day. That started at six weeks. I was afraid of disturbing the healing process also. I took it really slow. I did experience some pain after massaging so I stopped for a while.

My breast were hard for a long while. They just began to feel a little softer...they are still hard compared to my normal breasts. Both breasts have dropped some and I just noticed last night that they are more even now then they were.  Things change from day to day and it takes time.

I did see a video link on how to massage your breasts. There was a warning that different types of implants should not be massaged. Did you doctor show you how?  I did not start until my PS gave the OK.  Hang in there...it gets better.

Hope everybody has a good day!

• tracyanne
    edited September 2009
    Options

Yes, my PS did show us how to massage yesterday...kind of a wide, gentle pinching motion all around the edges rather than a flat-handed massage.  My hubby said it didn't look so gentle watching the way the doctor did it, but I'm insisting on the gentle part!

Thanks for the post, Meg9--I am glad to know that yours softened and even dropped a little.  The rest of me looks 46, and I'd rather the boobs not sit up there like they're teenagers, you know?  I have no plans for a face lift or eye lift or tummy tightening in the near future, but boy is that breast lifted!

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Good morning,

Welcome back okiegal, glad to hear the trip was fun. Did you discover anything new and exciting in that beautiful city?

And tracyanne, glad to hear from you. Isn't it such a relief to get those drains out! I'm glad to have another one sided 'reconstructioneer' to compare notes with. 

Meg, I think we have to keep on using these altered muscles until they feel natural to us. You're right, just stop when it feels like too much strain. 

Carole, you might be home by now. I hope it was an easy procedure and that your perfectionist PS did a beautiful job. Let us know how you are.

Off to work, all the way to the studio (garage!) to make stuff. I think it will be cooler today. I'll turn on the radio and dance my way through some projects. 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks so much for all the healing thoughts and good wishes.  We were back home by 11:30.  I think the actual surgery took about 30 min, but, of course, I spent hours at the surgery center.  I have a small bandage over part of the incision on my left breast.  Between now and my apptment on Fri., it's back to sponge baths!  The nurse in the recovery room told me about a 41-yr-old friend of hers who'd just been diagnosed with bc.  There are so many of us. 

Welcome back, Okiegal!  We missed you.  Glad you had a wonderful trip.

Welcome back to you, too, Tracyanne.  Getting rid of my drains was a big relief for me.  Interesting that your PS has you massaging your implants this soon.  I'm to wait a while longer before I do some gentle massage. 

Fortunate1, I would love to see some of your "stuff" you create in your potter's studio.  Do you have a website?  Maybe you could figure out how to paste a photo in one of your posts. 

Meg9, enjoy that wonderful weather in NY.  The US Open Tennis is on tv now.  The coverage features some great shots of NYC. 

So far, so good....

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole, Glad you're back safe and sound. It sounds like they put you under for the procedure, likely more involved than my bit of tissue removal. Sponge baths....bah!, but ending soon. 

I did strain my pec a little bit yesterday. I have put on the compression band thingy that the PS gave me to wear early on. It seems to relax the muscle and has an interesting side effect. With compressin at the top, my blunt little breast looks so much more real. Longer slope, "pointier", and a better curve at the bottom. Sigh, maybe it's a forced 'drop and fluff' we hear about. 

No website, I'm afraid. It's something I know I should do. I'll think about ways to show you. Today I'm making some orchid pots to finish filling a little kiln---fast and easy. I have a bunch of orchid starts I can pop into them as a giveaway. 'Merchandising' in a tough economy---or just being nice to my customers.

Meg, are you a golfer too? Did I miss that? 

I'm on my own this evening, so I'll check back in later. 

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole, I am happy to see your well enough to post! Sounds like you had a long day. You must be relieved it's over. I hope you heal quickly.

Fortunate1- There is a site called "esty" you might want to check out. Many artists and crafters sell their goods there.

I am not a golfer, but my dh plays occasionally...usually work related. I have been to the driving range many times, but I'm not very good. I can hit the ball, but I can't get it to go where I want it to. lol  

I've had another new experience with my breasts today....muscle spasms. I've been doing strenous work this week and my breasts ache today. I also noticed the shape of my right breast changed again. The dog ear is getting larger.  I'm very disappointed. Will this ever end?

GYN office called today to remind me to be at the hospital at 6:30am on Thursday. Ugh! 

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole,- glad to hear things went well. Hope you heal quickly and get this "tissue issue" behind you!

Went bra shopping yesterday. I must have tried on 30 bras and nothing fit properly. Before my surgery, I thought with matching B or C sized breasts, I would finally have an easy time of it. Not happening. Now I have angular breasts, flat across the front really. It's the missing nipple mound area, a certain point that is needed to fill out the center of the bra. Irritating, but I'll keep looking. I want something that is stretchy, but not cotton and that doesnt' have thick bands. Oh, and pretty would be nice. Meg9, I have found a few of the "Barely There" bras, but not one that fits, so far. They have quite a selection on their website. I need to try Kohl's next.

Fortunate1 - Don't know if you are interested in having a website, but NetworkSolutions.com makes it pretty easy. I used to have one. You don't have to know code or anything. It's all about the "click and drag" design thing. You only need to know how to type and upload pictures of your wares. It helps you look and feel more professional, but you have to drive traffic to your website in addition to keeping it updated. I don't know how many people actually visit "art" websites...I didn't get that much traffic, but it did offer an instant measure of status and it helped me to value my talents. You have actual product to sell, whereas I was selling my services. It might help? Dancing around in the studio sounded fun...I do that, too...even when I'm not in the studio!

Tracyanne - my massage started out more like soft kneading (poking with alternating index fingers in a circular pattern around the breast). The RN also showed me the pinching thing, but I didn't really attempt that until things healed a bit more. I can do all of it now, no pain. Hope you are feeling better day by day.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

I'm starting to wonder if these reconstructed breasts ever stabilize.  Mine change daily.  A divet here on the right side.  Gone tomorrow.  A divet on the left side has appeared.  A few lumps and bumps appearing and going away.  So far no dog ears but I haven't begun the massaging yet. 

The surgery site is very sore at the end of the suture toward the underarm.  I'm taking the arthritis strength tylenol which lasts for 8 hrs.  I slept very well last night but awoke several times with some tingling and numbness in the right arm which is the SNB arm.  That happened with the big surgery.  I'm sure I'm overly worried about LE.  I made sure the nurse put a band on my right arm before I went into the OR.  Today I'll limit time on the computer.

I'm definitely going to need a nice bra to give me a better shape under knit blouses.  I'm okay with the button up cotton blouses, which is what I've been wearing. 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

I'm starting to wonder if these reconstructed breasts ever stabilize.  Mine change daily.  A divet here on the right side.  Gone tomorrow.  A divet on the left side has appeared.  A few lumps and bumps appearing and going away.  So far no dog ears but I haven't begun the massaging yet. 

The surgery site is very sore at the end of the suture toward the underarm.  I'm taking the arthritis strength tylenol which lasts for 8 hrs.  I slept very well last night but awoke several times with some tingling and numbness in the right arm which is the SNB arm.  That happened with the big surgery.  I'm sure I'm overly worried about LE.  I made sure the nurse put a band on my right arm before I went into the OR.  Today I'll limit time on the computer.

I'm definitely going to need a nice bra to give me a better shape under knit blouses.  I'm okay with the button up cotton blouses, which is what I've been wearing. 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Carole, I always say take one day at a time. Things are always changing. At some point this will all be behind us. 

I would try to buy the "Warner, add a size"  bra I talked about earlier. It definitely fills in the missing point we no longer have. It does not add a size on me because I don't have a point. I look like I did before. You can always order it on the Internet and if it doesn't work for you you can always return it. 

I'm spending the rest of the day finishing up my work and cleaning house before tomorrows surgery. I'm not sure when I will get the pathology report. My GYN said Friday, but her NP said in a week. I will ask again tomorrow. 

Hope you all have a great day!

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Good morning all,

For the bra hunter-gatherers......I have been wearing a bra I rediscovered in the back of my drawer. It got pushed back there because it flattened me. Well now it flattens the 'real' side and fits the new breast. It probably has a name, but the tag says maidenform 7959. Not the effect I was hoping for, but it works well. I also have an expensive one bought at one of those 'fit for the cure' events, my gutsy move after surgery. Also no name on the tag, but....Wacoal 853134, looks lacy but it's not, mesh sides, double straps with little bows, and the same effect as the maidenform with a better curve.

I think I'll forgo the idea of a website just now, but I'll remember the name. I used to ship almost all of my work to the galleries in the East. I hated the packing and shipping. Perhaps sometime later perhaps when I'm back up to speed, and certainly if Calif budget woes take more of my classes.

Rest comfortably, Carole.  Meg, Peace to you as you prepare for tomorrow. I bet you're ready to have it over-with. 

Hugs all around. 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Meg, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and sending out good health vibes.  Hope the procedure goes well and you get your pathology result soon.

• tracyanne
    edited September 2009
    Options

Meg, it's a relief to hear you mention muscle spasms.  I knew to expect little zingers/aches/twitches and pains in the breast itself, but I've been surprised at the occasional big muscle spasms around or under the breast.  Guess I need to remember that that whole area has been involved in surgery simply by the way everything is connected.  I had several big spasms today and think it's because I started driving yesterday (favoring that arm when possible, like keeping it lower and looser on the steering wheel).

I've been feeling down today about the cosmetic appearance.  I know there's still some settling to do--but one of the problems isn't going to go away.  I don't know about y'all, but I had three kids and nursed each for almost a year, gained 50 lbs. with each pregnancy before losing it again, and my breasts ended up with a lot of stretch marks.  A lot.  Sure, they've faded to white now, but those striations are there, and there's some little puckering between them...well, now with the inevitable breast lift that comes with this reconstruction, those stretch marks are in full view...I feel like I have a puckered, shiny-lined mound for the bottom half of my breast especially.  My PS warned me after I hinted at hope of some miraculous transformation that he would NOT be able to do anything for the stretch marks, but I didn't think the procedure would make them seem more prominent.

I'm grateful that in a bra, I look better than I did before as far as cleavage goes, but when the bra comes off, well, there are all those stretch marks.  I know I'm a happily married lady to a wonderful husband of 26 years, and I won't be showing these breasts to anyone but the two of us and my doctors, so why am I getting upset over this? 

I'm missing my old droopy, nippled, soft breast right now.

Tracy (I used Tracyanne as my log in because Tracy was taken :- ) )

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

Dear TracyAnne - We have certainly been there! You're upset because...this is all very upsetting! We've been taken to a place we never planned to go and now we have to deal with it...all...and it takes time, love and compassion, especially from ourselves. Go ahead, be upset, be angry, be sad. It's okay. Feel your feelings. Be reassured, it won't last forever. You will adjust and heal, physically, spiritually and mentally. Hugs to you!

I'm thinking of Meg9 and looking forward to good news...

As a fellow bra "hunter-gatherer", thank you fortunate1 for looking up those names and numbers...Meg9, I'll put the Warner "add a size" back on my list.

Hi Carole!

It's cloudy, rainy and cool today in Tulsa. So unseasonably fall like for us. I'm loving it, but after 22 years of living in Los Angeles, summer seems to have ended too quickly.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

TracyAnne, I can only ditto okiegal's sentiments above.  She said everything very well.  None of us are thrilled with our reconstructed breasts, but we're glad we still have a breast shape instead of flatness with a scar.  It takes time to adjust.  I'm still in the healing adjusting phase myself.  Hang in there and know you can express your feelings to us.

I do find it ironic that you've breast-fed three children and developed bc.  There was a feature on tv just recently telling how breast-feeding reduces the chance of bc as does child-bearing.  One of my risk factors was being childless.  I also am a moderate but regular consumer of alcohol, and Meg9 doesn't drink!  I'm tempted to think that the whole "risk factor" concept is a bunch of bull.  It's just plain bad luck that a percentage of women have bc.

It's sunny and hot here with a 20 per cent chance of rain.  The humidity is back up after a couple of days when it felt nicer outside.  I've discontinued my walking and am restricted to sponge bathing until I get the bandage off, which I assume will be tomorrow when I go back to see the PS.  I was feeling sorry for myself when my sister called yesterday.  She reminded me, "You had a low oncotype number."  How soon we brush aside our blessings!

Hope everyone has a good day.

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

I agree. You know, I think everyone wants to have something to do, or NOT do, to explain why we got this particular nasty disease. When I read further about breast feeding, wine drinking etc and BC, it seems the risk factor percentages the writers and researchers grasp at are so small. Not that the research isn't vital, it is, absolutely. But for us it's looking backward at life choices that were good. BC will keep us second guessing and fearful for a long time.

As for the new breasts, we are lucky indeed to have each other to talk to. Heaven knows there's no one around here that wants to hear about a flat spot on a breast that looks fine when I'm dressed. We miss what we had, and want the new ones to be as close as possible to 'real'. This adjusting seems natural and necessary to me. Flat spots, stretch marks, divots, dog ears. Change can be hard.

Meg, you are in my thoughts. Hope you are resting comfortably. 

• tracyanne
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks for those words of support and validation.  The healthy thing is to feel my feelings so that I can move through them (not around them) and come out to whatever is waiting on the other side. 

And speaking of emotions, I just got the phone call that my BRCA testing is negative...good news that for some reason led me to burst into tears when I hung up!  This whole bc thing is just an emotional rollercoaster, isn't it?  I got good news...but the fact that I'd been waiting on a phone call that would help to determine whether or not I get to keep a breast and ovaries is in itself a serious thing and part of a larger traumatic experience of being diagnosed in the first place.  Right now I'm feeling the relief after the tears, but I betcha I'll cry again in an hour over some other aspect of this.  It's a rollercoaster day for me.  So glad I'm seeing a movie tonight with a friend!

I agree about the risk factors.  Not only did I breast-feed, but I had my first pregnancy at 23, which was supposed to be a plus.  My mom says it's risk factor + one's individual genetic/chemical make up, and I think she's right about that.  What contributes to cancer in one person will not in another, and science isn't able to tell us what combos are dangerous to whom.

Yes, best wishes to Meg and recovery/good results... 

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi everybody,

It's been a long day. Up at 5:00am and at the hospital 6:30. The anesthesiologist put the IV in my left hand. It hurt really bad and I looked at my DH for help. I looked down at my hand and it was blowing up like a balloon. She missed the vein and fluid was filling up my hand. Then she tried  my right hand. She missed my vein a second time. The third time worked. I lost a little confidence in her ability to administer the anesthesia.

The D&C and Hysteroscopy took 35 minutes.  Pain killers are making me feel comfortable now but I'm tired. I had a lite lunch and slept for a while. My GYN said I may get results tomorrow or sometime next week. She was optimistic.

Thank you all for your well wishes. You are all special! Here we can share what we cannot with most. When we are down, disappointed, scared or even when we make fun of ourselves, only we can truly understand.

Carole - I hope you are healing well.

Tracy - Ditto what the ladies said. We sure didn't ask for this, but it came to us. All we can do is make the best of it and be grateful for all we do have. The old breast are gone and it is really sad, but it is what it is. Totally out of our hands.

The weather here is beautiful. High of 75, no humidity, evening temp drops to the 50's. Air conditioning has not kick on for three days. It's supposed to be beach weather this weekend and in the 80's. I wish I was feeling well enough to get to the beach for the last time this year.

I hope you all had a good day.

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Welcome home Meg. Sleep well tonight in your cool comfortable beautiful weather. Here's hoping for a wonderful report right away.

Carole, good luck at the PS tomorrow. And the blessing of healthy skin for you to add to your collection of blessings. 

Tracy, I understand your roller coaster so well. I'm so glad your BRCA test came back negative.

And okiegal, too....Sweet dreams, all. 

I sure hope yearofthehat is well. 

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Carole, I hoping you have good news to report.

I'm waiting for the phone to ring and hoping for good news too. Then I'm going to out to enjoy the beautiful day.

I hope you all have a great weekend!  :o)

• fortunate1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Checking in and checking out.....a cool classroom to escape the blast furnace weather. Have a good day everyone. 

Yow, I'm almost late, bye 

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

Meg9- glad to hear you are done with your procedure...I'm sure you are feeling better today. Do you have tiny veins? I bet your anesthesiologist was embarrassed!

I made it to Kohl's yesterday and found some very nice bras although I will wait for a sale (maybe Monday?) I'm beginning to think that the empty area in the more firm foam cups isn't going to be such an issue. It's the softer cups that don't fit. Guess if I have nipples done, they have room to roam?!

Carole - hope your appointment goes well. Your line about "How quickly we brush aside our blessings" is so apt and beautifully put. I am the worst and should probably have that tattooed on my chest instead of nipples as a daily reminder!  We're all so unavoidably human in the end...

How was your movie, TracyAnne? I hope you are starting to feel a little better.

Fortunate1- I know this is probably a terrible weekend to go to the beach. I somehow frequently made it out to Manhattan Beach on long weekends and found it uncrowded and cooler in the late afternoon. Stay cool this weekend, maybe a movie?

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Labor Day. Family barbecue for me on Monday. 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009
    Options

Meg, sorry you had to get stuck 3 times.  I'm glad your procedure is over and you're recuperating.  We're looking forward to a good report. 

Good news from me.  My new incision looks great.  I guess this is what it should have looked like after the big surgery 6 wks ago.  I was so afraid the bandage would come off today and it would be deja vu!  My time schedule for starting to play golf again will be set back a week or two, unfortunately.  But this 6 wks has passed quickly enough.  Having you ladies to commiserate with has helped a lot.

When I go back to the dr. for a checkup in a couple of weeks, I'll get my Arimidex prescription.  I'm not looking forward to taking that drug, which blocks all estrogen production.  Evidently those who suffer the most SEs get the most benefit out of the drug.  Supposedly my risk of recurrence without Arimidex is about 15 per cent.  With Arimidex about 7 percent. 

As for future screening, six months from now I'll have a mammogram which will provide an image of the armpits.  This serves as a baseline.  That will be my last mammogram.  Every six months I'll go to my cancer dr. for an ultrasound of the armpits and chest wall, the two most likely places for recurrence.  Makes it all seem so real.  Frown

We have no Labor Day plans for any kind of picnic or family gathering.  My dh is playing in a golf tournament on Sat. & Sun.  He may get rained on since the forecast is for scattered thunderstorms.  Tomorrow I'll pick up my mom's prescriptions and also buy some lunch to share with her and go to her house for a visit.  She lives about 15 min. away.

Hope every enjoys the holiday weekend. 

• Meg9
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Everybody,

I received good news today! Everything was benign!  SmileI am feeling well from the procedure and I'm planning to spend the weekend with family. On Sunday we will have lunch at the river.

Carole, I am happy to hear the good new that you incision is doing well. Smile One thing is for sure....we are all strong women. I have not been told what my future check-ups will be yet.  I have an appointment with my BS & PS on the 16th. I guess I will find out then.

Okiegal- I do have thin hands and my veins are visible. I do not know what her problem was. Both of my hands are black & blue.

Have you tried to find the "Warner Bar - Add a size."  I find it works well to fill the flat breasts we have. http://www.warners.com/_view/bra-Panty-Styles.cfm?ID=2008 

Fortunate1, I will soon envy your warm weather. This morning when I woke up it was cooold. My bmx was on May 26 right after Memorial Day.  Summer just went by. I feel like I missed it.

I hope you all have a great Holiday weekend!

• okiegal
    edited September 2009
    Options

Meg9 - So glad to hear your happy news! I'm sure you're relieved. I know I am.

Thanks for the bra link. I'll check it out. I may have to shop online as my band size to cup ratio is a little outside the norm. I have a wide chest, but small boobs. I guess I never really knew that the cup size changes in size as the band gets wider. In other words a 38A cup size is larger than the cup in a 32A. I've tried on enough bras now that I think I could probably pick something online and actually have it fit. We'll see. I'll check it out.

Carole - I'm glad to hear things are finally looking normal for you. Relief for you and for us too. 

I know the statistics you were given don't sound as reassuring as you want, but I would encourage you to do some research or talk to your surgeon about what they really mean in the real world. As it was explained to me and as I understand it, your risk isn't 15% or 7% for every year for the rest of your life. It actually drops the older you get. So, yeah for every birthday!  Also, the older women get, the less likely they are to die of breast cancer because it grows at a slower and slower pace. I wonder how long our cancers were hanging around before they were detected? (Gee, I don't like using the "C" word.) Considering all of these issues, the chances of something cropping up quickly are probably remote and six month check-ups are probably vigilent. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor!

Never the less, I understand your concern and dread. I took a slightly extreme approach for my diagnosis. I could have chosen a unilateral mastectomy, but chose a BMX so I could lower my chances as much as possible. I didn't want to have to go on Tamoxifen or do radiation.

Finally, (sorry I'm so wordy!) I drank Tab and Diet Coke religiously for years, plus I drank beer and wine regularly. I have never been pregnant. My mother had four children (never breast fed), didn't drink anything except for coffee (religiously) and we both ended up with DCIS in the left breast and with a BMX. My identical twin sister hates diet drinks, has also enjoyed wine and beer regularly, never been pregnant and doesn't have DCIS (although she did have a diagnosis of LCIS severaly years ago.) So, go figure. Looks like it's just genetic for me.

Enough from me. Ya'll have a nice weekend one way or another!