Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• lilithmoon
    lilithmoon Member Posts: 97
    edited June 2013
    Options

yes, I'm so glad this is not a recurrence.  Hope you get this resolved soon!

• mareluna
    mareluna Member Posts: 275
    edited June 2013
    Options

lilithmom,

Glad you are pleased with your recent surgery. I have the round 600 cc ones. I like it so far. I am still tender and getting used to them. Oh congratulations on the new boyfriend. Was wondering how he handled your cancer diagnosis. At a support group meeting we discussed dating and how men handle finding out about the diagnosis and the mastectomies etc.

Peggy,

I hope that you get the hematoma issues resolved. I am sure it is scary. I was frightened after i had my mastectomy. I fely lumps near center near breast bone. It was the drain tubes. I was relieved. Felt foolish but after a cancer diagnosis it always looms in the back of one's mind.

Nite ladies.

Rose

• lilithmoon
    edited June 2013
    Options

Rose - it's funny that you should mention dating - I was wondering how to talk about the cancer/boob thing before I met him.  But the funny thing was, he was my acupuncturist (I've switched since then) and I was seeing him for the recovery process - so he knew from day 1.  I guess he was cool with it. It was a bit rocky getting through the surgery I kind of insisted on being on my own - now I feel a bit more available to start something up that isn't based on my illness but on my getting on with my life.  Tricky stuff... not sure how things will evolve but I'm relieved that he is totally cool about the cancer and the foobs.

• mareluna
    edited June 2013
    Options

Lilithmoon,

Cool. I am glad he is okay with it. I am involved with my childhood friend and high school sweetheart for over 3 years now. He's been great. A support group I went to discussed dating, or their marriages after the diagnosis , chemos, surgeries etc.  We discussed our sex lives after cancer etc. It was an interesting discussion.

My boyfriend had a lot of surgery while I was doing chemo. He was hospitalized about 6 weeks total. He had gotten so thin he looked like death. I was worried  that I'd lose him. I  already lost my husband to cancer. Last year was rough. Anyway we are healing.

I hope you are doing better from your surgery. Have a good one.

Rose

• lilithmoon
    edited June 2013
    Options

Rose - I hope your boyfriend is doing better.  I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, I also lost my husband to cancer (brain cancer), and ended up with my IDC 3 years after he died.  It was all pretty traumatic.  Not sure yet if things will work out with the new guy - not sure how available he is.  I'm taking it slowly, trying to protect myself.  Glad you have someone who really cares about you.

• Lmimp64
    Lmimp64 Member Posts: 88
    edited July 2013
    Options

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I'm still on antibiotics and now my skin is too thin at the incision. The doc could see alloderm. Sooo, I'm giving it one last shot before going flat. Another surgery next Wednesday. Third try at an implant. No guarantees though.

• lilithmoon
    edited July 2013
    Options

I was hoping to hear from you.  Are you going to do the gummy bears?  This was my 3rd surgery and I was pretty flipped out about it maybe not working.  Had nightmares about it.  What's the plan? Is your PS going to make an incision somewhere else? Please keep us posted. I am crossing my fingers this works out for you. 

• mareluna
    edited July 2013
    Options

Lmimp64,

Oh I hope that this time it works. I am sorry that you are having to go through all this. Praying that it goes well and you can recover.

Rose

• Lmimp64
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thank you. You guys are great. :)

• lilithmoon
    edited July 2013
    Options

Lmimp - did you have your surgery?  How are you doing?

• Lmimp64
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi. I'm hanging in. I ended up with a hole in my skin through to the implant as my skin is thinning out at the incision. They took out the implant and I'm back to drains with one foob and one flat. After everything heals, if it is stronger. I will go to expander then try implant again. Been a hard few days and I'm in quite a bit of pain.

Thanks for your support. This is a tough one

• lilithmoon
    edited July 2013
    Options

wow, it sounds really grueling.  You are very courageous.  If you need to talk or email me, let me know.  My thoughts are with you

jocelyne

• mareluna
    edited July 2013
    Options

Lmimp64,

You sure have been through a lot. I hope you get feeling better and that you can get this all behind you. I  have a dimple on the left foob where the skin was not matching in thickness. The PS said it would be hard to fix. I just live with it. I don't want any more surgery. All my scars hurt as it is.

Sending you healing thoughts.

Rose

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited July 2013
    Options

Okay so I made an appointment for my nipple construction/ revision surgery for early September. I have fat necrosis in my cancer breast that will need to be removed. Very small amount of same in my other breast but I really like the way at one turned out, so I'd prefer to have nothing but the nipple done on that one. The other one needs help so don't mind surgery on that one.

The PS said all of it could be left in indefinitely. Has anyone else had any experience with fat necrosis (piece of fat from healthy breast moved into other breast during recon died)?

Thanks,

Peggy

• Lmimp64
    edited July 2013
    Options

I have heard that is quite common with fat grafting. I talked with the doctors at Johns Hopkins about it when I was investigating grafting in lieu of implants. Unless its a large amount it should be fine.

Best wishes.

• PeggySull
    edited July 2013
    Options

Llimp,

Thanks, that makes me feel better!

Peggy

• Mamalyon
    Mamalyon Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi all, this is my first post at all on this board. This surgery, 1 step/alloderm is what my ps is offering to follow the bmx on 7-31. I have some other problems like clotting issues (coumadin) and a hefty BMi so this is the only thing offered. I haven't decided for sure if I should do it or just go with no reconstruction. Do any of you have any advice about how to arrive at this decision?

Thanks

Karen

• lilithmoon
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi Karen, I'm sorry you have to go through this. The recovery is much more difficult and long with immediate reconstruction but you wake up with breasts which make things easier.  There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to conserve my breast (what was left of it) asap.  Are you going to have nipple sparing?  They could do a nice job with the new gummies but make sure your PS is skilled at working with them - it's kind of tricky.  Ask if they do subglandular or subpectoral - that makes a difference too.  How you feel about your body will help you figure out what you need.  Talk a lot about it with people who care and who can listen and give you good feedback.  I wish you a positive outcome, whatever you decide.  Take care

jocelyne

• Lmimp64
    edited July 2013
    Options

Karen,

I have had tremendous problems as the one step to implants as it stretched my skin so much even though wasn't going larger. Since my initial surgery, I have met with 6 other plastic surgeons who would all have done expanders with me first. They said the chances of needing further surgery is high. It's very often not one step.

I would get more than one opinion. I know going straight to implants has been great for some, but it wasn't for me. The use of alloderm is quite common - with direct to implant or with expander placement. To be honest, if I were older than I am and didn't have a young son, I would not do reconstruction.

• lilithmoon
    edited July 2013
    Options

that's a good point about it not actually being a one step process. I had to exchange my round for a gummy but all seems fine now. 

• PeggySull
    edited July 2013
    Options

Yes, you still need revision surgery eventually, so not really one step. You just don't have to go through the fills and TE discomfort. My first step immed. after the DMX was to go with gummies a lot smaller than I was originally. For that reason my ps had a lot of skin to work with and I think that's why I had an easy recovery. Also, I had always done yoga even though I have a lot of weight to lose and that really helped with getting back range of motion. I told her I would work hard to get the bottom half of me to fit with my new top. I have lost 15 pounds so I'm a third of the way there.

I saw I my before pictures a few weeks ago and I think I'm going to like my new breasts better than my old ones!

I have had some fat necrosis (apparently common) in one breast and when I get my nipples done on Sept 9 ps will remove that.

It's such a personal decision. If anyone goes with one step I think they should make sure that their ps has ALOT of experience with the direct to implant procedure.

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide.

Hugs,

Peggy

• mareluna
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi,

I found the direct to implant  to be the best choice for me. I had no desire for expanders. I went from 44 D to 44 A or B. I had no problems at all. I was blessed. I am heavy set and  was worried about that ruling me out. My PS is awsome. Since I did not do radiation I was able to do it. I have a dimple on side of left breast. My revision was leaving dimple there and just tucking both breasts near cleavage area. It was in office 20 minutes. They numb you, cut, cartherize and stitch. Simple no pain and I was giggling with the nurse and PS. 

The most painful was the mastectomy and the first day was hell. Dialaudid was the only thing that helped for the first 3 weeks. It got better. I really dont get much pain except for the area of lymp node removal that was done during lumpectomy. That scar hurts when the weather changes.

I am going to get  3D nipple tattooing in the fall. Then I am done.  I may decide at some point to get tattoing to hide the scars. I am thinking of roses and vines.

Good luck ladies.

Rose

• Mamalyon
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi all, surgery was a week ago. I've been told I need to start weaning away from the hydrocodone but this pain is sort of painful. I there some other answer? I think sometimes nurses forget I did this surgery and think my pain is the same as those that did TE. I feel like people think I am a wimp. But this hurts. Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,

Karen

• lilithmoon
    edited August 2013
    Options

Mamalyon - take the oxycodone if you have pain.  You will wean off naturally once the pain lessens.  That was my experience.  It takes about 3 weeks to start feeling better.  Best to you

-jocelyne

• mareluna
    edited August 2013
    Options

Mamalyon,

I was on Dilaudid for about a month after my BMX and direct to implant. I then was on oxycodone. I then was on ultram. I was not addicted to any of it. It just was really painful. No you are not a wimp. They just don't know how painful it is to have your breasts removed. Then you have raw tissue in there and muscles pulled over the implants. The drains were no walk in the park either. If I get upset or stressed those muscles tighten up and hurt. Think you need to talk to your surgeon about the pain. Hope you feel better soon.

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hello everyone, what is the one step alloderm? I have not heard of this at all?? I still need to have nipples done but am afraid to go back? I heard you stay awake for it? Where does the skin come from?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,843
    edited August 2013
    Options

Can't answer your questions about nipple recon but I have had one step recon. One step implants may be used after a skin paring mx/bmx if one is an appropriate candidate. Your permanent I plant is out in right away, without using TE's. Alloderm is a tissue matrix that is placed under the implants and create an internal sling to support the implant and prevent bottoming out. Let me know if you have other questions.

Caryn

• mareluna
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi ladies,

How are you all doing? I hope well. I sceduled my 3 D nipple tattooing for September 17th. Has anyone had it done? I wondered how you like it? Did it hurt much? I have an ankle tattoo done 3 years ago. That one was a pain. I will be going to Plastic Surgeon's office to do it. Not at the office I go to but at their other office. I am told it takes about 4 hours.

I am getting used to these foobs. Can't swim well with them. Just feels odd. AT least they are not hurting much now. Feels less painful than my real ones did. I find I have to wear a bra most of the time. I don't like sleeping without one much. They roll, so I use pillows too at night. I use travel pillows against them.

Hope you all have agood evening.

Rose

Cool

• lilithmoon
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Rose,

good to hear that you're doing better. I'm getting used to mine - they're bigger so it's kind of weird.  I've been wearing stretchy sports bras.  Sleeping on my stomach doesn't work but other than that, I don't really have any pain anymore.  I'm back to school and work this week.  Hope it won't be too hard energy-wise.  Take care, great to hear from you!

Jocelyne

• Mamalyon
    edited August 2013
    Options

Well tomorrow will be 3 weeks and I guess the pain is at least changing. Somedays it's less although some times it's much worse, usually when it's been a while since a pain pill. One thing is that sometimes the pain feels very different. I would say normally it feels like I am wearing a way too small underwire bra which has the underwire hitting in the wrong place, but lately I have less of this pain and more of a super sore pain as if I had been working out and my chest was super sore. Have I given this pain too much thought? Does thismseem normal to y'all? I think I get tha last 2 drains out tomorrow so that will help mindset.

Also, I would say I've been a bit teary. Maybe moody, does that seem normal?

Karen