Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    edited March 2014
    Options

ucfmom...I am in a small firm...I do that stuff myself! Though often it just ends up with me wanting to punch my computer. 

Did you get a call with your surgery date yet? I was surprised to get a call this afternoon for many reasons, mainly as I am not an urgent case and last time I waited a month to get a call for a date 3+ months down the road in a less busy area. Now I get a call from a busier location...and I just saw the PS on Thursday...for April 24; 3 weeks earlier than my former date. It threw me for a loop. 6 weeks seems SOON now. Fortunately I had arranged my work commitments enough already that I just needed to make some minor adjustments and get a couple colleagues to cover some files/appearances while I am gone.

Needless to say, I will be reading this thread through again as the date approaches!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi to everyone.  I was one of the first participants in this discussion forum and found it extremely helpful when I faced surgery and reconstruction and then recovery.  I would imagine that there have been improvements since my surgery was 2009.  So it might not be necessary to read all the posts from the beginning.  Maybe just the last couple of years?  Back in 2009 the "one-step" wasn't all that common.  TE's were all the thing.

I'm still happy I made the choices I made at the time.  If I were younger (just turned 71) I would have gone back to my PS for some revision and maybe even had him place bigger implants.  As it is, I don't want to lose that time that can be spent playing golf and living my normal life.

Good luck and blessings.  Life does goes back to normal even though it's a "new normal."

• ucfmom
    ucfmom Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2014
    Options

I finally got a call today with my surgery date - March 19.  One week from today!  I have a pre-op appointment at the hospital this Friday and a pre-op with the PS on Tuesday.  We're also closing on my Daddy's house (in my office) Tuesday, so hopefully the timing works out or I'll sign everything early.  My Daddy passed away in December and we just listed his house last Monday.  We had nine offers within about 36 hours - crazy.  We're also new first time grandparents!  Our oldest son and his wife had their beautiful baby boy almost two weeks ago.  He was 23 days early, so I think he came early just for me.  :)

Carole, I've read many of your posts and have found them to be very helpful.  One step isn't as common around here as I would have thought.  I have several close friends who have had breast cancer in recent years and none of them had one step.  I wanted to read everything here but since my surgery date is so close now, I think I'll skip ahead some to read more recent posts.  

• lindacam
    lindacam Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi.  I just had one step DMX skin sparing, nipples not saved with Alloderm. It has been 3 weeks and still have one drain in.  I am a nurse and i could not imagine being at work yet.  I have been ogg pain killers for 10 days but chest still very tight and sore.

• mareluna
    mareluna Member Posts: 275
    edited March 2014
    Options

The tightness feels like wearing a super tight internal bra. When I get upset even now over a year out I feel that tight internal bra.

LOL So I try to stay calm.

• DiveCat
    edited March 2014
    Options

ucfmom...congratulations on the first grandbaby! My mother is still waiting for grandchildren...but all she has got (and will) see from me is a grandkitty! I have siblings though who want kids...funny though as my mother started having us young and we are all in our late 20s and early (well, mid..) 30s without children. She does not hound any of us though...she has a busy career and is quite happy traveling and empty nesting with my stepfather. They are both coming to stay with me after surgery so that will be...interesting. ;)

March 19th...whew, now that is close! I hope despite the busy plate you have you can treat yourself a bit this week before your surgery. Massage, nice dinner out, whatever is easy and good on yourself and helps you relax.

I see lots of One-Steps on FORCE, but that may be as they are more often prophylactic and people have time to seek out surgeons more? Lots will travel to NYC if needed and plan months or years out, and FORCE conferences allow people to research and meet surgeons doing these and other more advanced surgeries.

There still aren't MANY who do offer it up here where I live in Canada. I was not even sure I would find a PS who did but I got lucky without knowing it ahead of time with my second referral...I had been all scheduled to do TEs with first PS. When I first saw my BS they had pamphlets in the waiting roomfor a one-step trial in Canada, and a couple surgeons were doing the trial out of that hospital but not ones I was seeing. And the trial was one where you either were in TE arm or one-step arm...they randomly chose for you. 

I HAVE noticed over last year or two more surgeons willing to do the surgery on larger breasts as long as women willling to stay similar or a bit smaller, and there is not a lot of ptosis. Used to be pretty limited to A-B...small C... cups. I am a 32DD but want to be a bit smaller.  And a few women ending up a bit bigger despite it usually being recommended only if you stay at or under same size. I have seen a few women say they woke up with a cup size more or so than expected. More experience with Alloderm I think has really helped these advances.

• ucfmom
    edited March 2014
    Options

Tomorrow is the day, wish me luck!  I found out today I will be getting the "gummies", guess I should read up on them.  The PS will have three different sizes and will use whatever fits best.  I have to be at the hospital at 8:00 for the injection for sentinel node mapping but the surgery won't start until 3:00.  It will be a long day!

• DiveCat
    edited March 2014
    Options

Best wishes for tomorrow, ucfmom! 

• mareluna
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hope all goes well ucfmom. Post us when you can and let us know how you are doing.

• ucfmom
    edited March 2014
    Options

I had the injection at 8:30 this morning and they let me come home for a bit.  We have to be back at the hospital at 12:30 for the 1:00 scan, then surgery.  I'd read about that injection, but it was not fun, man did it burn.  I was good though, didn't scream or smack anyone, just said holy shit when it was over.  lol  I haven't been sleeping well lately so at least I'll get a good nap during surgery.  Hopefully I'll have some good dreams while I'm out.  ;)  Just about time to head out, I hope to check in here tomorrow when I get home.  Thanks for your well wishes, it's been a great help reading about everyone's experiences.

Beth

• samrodun
    samrodun Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm quite new to this site forum, but I find it quite "user unfriendly". I feel the most recent posts in a forum should display first. Maybe I'm missing something, but once you're in a titled forum I don't see any way to search the forum....like if you're trying to find a post you once saw but can't remember what page it was on. I had been in a few places re treatment but this is my first time in one about reconstruction.

I'm trying to find one of you girls that may have had a skin-sparing mastectomy with delayed reconstruction....but with no tissue expander put in initially. Wondering if any of you have had the same procedure as me and have been able (or if it's even possible) to have a permanent implant put in instead of an expander....of course not until MX is settled and healed completely. 

I don't see a plastic surgeon again till 6/3. I did have another PS consult prior to my surgery and saw 2 different implants and 1 expander gadget but there was no talk about a skin-sparing MX. Back then I didn't know about the complications that can arise from the expanders and didn't know but what I would need radiation. I also am a keloid former and was concerned, and advised by my oncologist, that I should probably wait for pathology results and also how my MX healing goes with scarring...she isn't a proponent of immediate reconstruction and some plastic surgeons in my area are against it also. I'm 4 weeks out of my right MX and was left with a good size seroma on my upper chest area about 3/4" above my incision and just before my armpit which my surgeon says will probably dissipate eventually. 

It doesn't appear to me that I have enough skin left to cover an implant. I've also had 3 previous abdominal surgeries and was told they won't take a flap from previous surgical sites. I know they can get skin tissue from other places, but I'm truthfully worried about using skin from anywhere after this seroma problem and also from having a horrible infection from my last 2 surgeries (appendectomy and right hemi-colectomy due to appendiceal cancer).

So...if any of you have had a similar situation and reconstruction, I'd love to hear your opinions and advice. And I hope you're all doing well and are not as confused as I am....:-)  Sam

• lindacam
    lindacam Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2014
    Options

Had Skin sparing DMX with Alloderm and permanent implants.  The side that had rads is stii so tight and painful, anyone else experience this?

• ucfmom
    edited March 2014
    Options

I'm home and full of drugs so I feel just fine right now.  lol  The surgery started a little last yesterday at 4:20.  When I was in pre-op, the anesthesiologist and breast surgeon came by to see me.  The BS was with me for quite a while, she is such a nice person.  They let my husband go back with me, but only let him stay for a short time.   The guest services person in the surgical waiting room kept my husband informed until she left at 9:00 p.m.  The BS went out to talk to him when she was done with her part, then the PS also spoke to him a couple hours later.  It was close to 11:00 p.m. by the time they let him in recovery to see me and by then they had a room ready for me.  

The nurses I had were awesome and were always asking if I needed something for pain, or to eat or drink, etc.  They had me on IV antibiotics, morphine and Tylenol until this morning.  I was glad to get rid of the IV needle in my arm!  They had to have two IVs in my arm for surgery (no idea why) and they always have trouble getting an IV in me.  My left hand is black and blue because they tried unsuccessfully tried to put an. IV in there and my whole left arm is swollen.  The room I was in had a pull down bed in the wall, so my husband was able to stay in my room with me all night.

I was discharged around 2:30 today and I'm really not too uncomfortable as long as I'm in the recliner.  There is a lot of soreness and tightness in my chest area but I really only feel it when I get up to go to the bathroom. I have prescriptions for Valium, hydrocodone and an antibiotic.  My husband made a chart so he'll know when to give me what.  lol  He's taking the next week off from work and I know he'll take good care of me, he is so supportive.  I can't imagine going through this without a strong support system.  My youngest son came home from work early so he could see me before his class tonight. And my DIL asked my DH if I'm up to having company tonight.   I also have friends who want to come by and bring food, etc, and another friend who wants to name my implants.  lol  One of the nurses told me the second day after surgery is always the worst for pain, so we'll make sure I take the pain meds on time through tomorrow then will start to back off on them and only take them as needed to see how that goes.  So far, it's not too bad.  I can't take a shower until Saturday, so I won't get to really see them until then.  

• mareluna
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ucf, I slept in my recliner for days.  I am hoping that you recover quickly. I  suggest you get a lanyard and safety pins to hang your drains on to make showering easier. One of the Beyond boobs support group members suggested this to me and it was awesome.

• Zeeba
    Zeeba Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi--For those that had one step, what bra size did you end up with? I'm pretty top heavy, but want to be a large C in the end....my doc says we can do that w/ onestep, but I'm really worried about being too small. Thanks!

• mareluna
    edited March 2014
    Options

I went from a D cup to a B. Just what I wanted :)  I could have been the same size but smaller is nice.

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited March 2014
    Options

Sam--this forum takes some time to get used to. You can choose topics to be in your favorites and when someone new writes on that topic, it will automatically scroll down to the new post. I have found it helpful to read entire posts though so I don't repeat what someone else has said.

I had a unilateral skin sparing mastectomy in oct 13. The plan is one step recon. Just trying to pin down a date. I'm glad I waited. One, I hit pretty much rock bottom after surgery. Don't really know why. Two, I think my body needed time to heal. I am a d maybe c...I haven't bought a bra in forever! I will be happy with b or a or may e flat. Who knows what lies ahead. I hope you read back through this thread and find some answers. Good luck.

• ucfmom
    edited March 2014
    Options

I've been able to sleep in the bed propped up with pillows the last two nights since coming home from the hospital - with a lot of help from my husband getting in and out.  During the day, I'm in the recliner and can get in and out of it pretty much by myself but my husband is always nearby to help.  So happy I get to take a shower today!  But I imagine it will wear me out. 

A home health nurse came by yesterday and will be back today, Monday and Thursday.  She showed my DH how to empty the drains (although he already knew how and had done it twice) and talked about breathing exercises.

They had me on two pain pills every four hours when I left the hospital but we cut back to 1 1/2 yesterday and I think we'll see how it goes with one today.  I'm also going to try and only take the Valium at night instead of every eight hours.  I slept a lot off and on yesterday.  

Wouldn't you know I started my period the day after surgery - just what I need right now.  lol

The PS said I was a small D during our first consultation (though my bra said B).  After surgery, he told my husband I have "every bit as much breast" as I had before.  After I get out of this surgical bra, I'll wear sports bras for a while, then will go get fitted.  

• DiveCat
    edited March 2014
    Options

Zeeba...I am going smaller though no goal "cup size" as it was more like my PS and I talked about visual goals and I sat there pointing to my smaller breast saying "that or a bit under that", ha. I am a 32DD and would be quite happy ending up visually at a C or D, even if my actual bra size still is higher! I am not too worried about being too small...I trust my PS and he seemed to understand what my size goals are. I am more worried that my skin will limit how small he can go and I might wake up as big as I am already! (He will be doing some nipping and tucking but he can only do so much without causing my nipples to be pointing in random directions!)

• DiveCat
    edited March 2014
    Options

ucfmom:

Glad to hear you are recovering well. Bummer about the period...I am timing my birth control pills so that does not happen!

Good luck with your shower today!

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2014
    Options

Divecat - I have posted this before, but I found it very helpful to make a plaster cast bust of my bust beforehand. I used it to check the expansion. It is kind of cathartic to do as a type of goodbye. Vierd huh!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,843
    edited March 2014
    Options

farmerlucy,

I've heard of women making plaster casts of their breasts pre- surgery, but I'm confused. Why would you be checking the expansion if you were having one step implants? I had one step almost three years ago and there is no expansion. Your permanent implants are put in right away.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2014
    Options

Uh well - I guess I am confused - I thought Divecat was getting TEs. To anyone who is confused along with me please ignor this!  Anywho - Divecat - I'm counting down the days with you. You're going to knock it out of the park.

• DiveCat
    edited March 2014
    Options

farmerlucy: originally I was doing TEs but I met with a new PS 2 weeks ago or so and so have a new PS, new surgery date, and new reconstruction plan! Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

• Windwalker
    Windwalker Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2014
    Options

I just met with my plastic surgeon and he said I would be a good candidate for the alloderm 1 step. The one thing he mentioned is that my breasts have ptosis (droopy) and he can't recreate that only the procedure of using my own skin can. I don't want to go that route though. He also said that gummy textured teardrop implants would be best. He said he will take 4 implants into the operation and decide from them what looks best on me.  This route seems so much faster than the TE route. Are there any benefits of going with TE's? He didn't even bring up the TE option. I had to ask him about it.

• Windwalker
    edited March 2014
    Options

Mareluna, how do you like the 3d nipple tattoos? I'm thinking of going this route. Was it something that your plastic surgeon offered, or did you go somewhere else to have it done? 

• DiveCat
    edited March 2014
    Options

Windwalker....I AM IN LETHBRIDGE TOO! I am so excited as I rarely see anyone from Lethbridge on here. 

Are you staying here for surgery? If so (or heck, even if you aren't), I am curious as to who you are seeing (for BS and PS) based on what you have described? (You can PM me if you would rather). I am going up to Calgary for my surgery, though I did meet with a BS & PS here as well.

I am a bit confused about what he means that he can't recreate the ptosis but only the procedure using your own skin can? Are you doing skin sparing? Ptosis is basically that "fold" over your IMF that gives a natural appearance, and it can very from none to minimal, to significant. Generally significant ptosis precludes one-step, but not with all surgeons. Some women want as little to no ptosis as possible, but it is a common goal in reconstruction to give some ptosis prevent the "bolt on look". This is why many PS's will fill the TEs a bit bigger than the implant they intend to give you. You should be able to still get a small bit of ptosis if you are doing One-Step; if your surgeon is skilled and uses the right size implant. 

My surgeon will also take a few different implants into the surgery as well (smooth rounds for me though) based on my measurements, and see what works while in there. We did discuss my "size goals" and the limitations (not ptosis for me, but rather how much smaller we can go from my 32DD without causing too much scarring or risking nipple placement and such).

As to benefits with TEs...the main ones I think are the following:

1. More surgeons are experienced with it so may be able to get better results simply based on them having more experience;

2. It allows the surgeon to do more tweaking, if necessary, through the process (like during swap, some do more pocket work, or a lift, and so on);

3. You can basically "decide your size" as your skin and such allows...expand and see where you want to stop;

4. If you do want to go bigger, this is more likely with expanders;

5. Sometimes people getting rads still want to try implants, so TEs are the way to start to allow rads (or to do after rads) and to allow more gentle expansion of the tissues. Similarly, putting in TEs allows women to get their MX, and then determine reconstruction later after treatment, etc);

6. Some people actually DO find TEs less painful than the one-step as it is slow expansion...you would not know it by a lot of posts on this board, but I have seen it elsewhere!;

7. Can work better for unis...to get a better match to the native breast by allowing for more tweaking through process;

8. If you are very large breasted, you may need to go with expanders due to concerns about putting in too large an implant right away, and because they may need to make more adjustments;

9. If you aren't doing nipple sparing or skin sparing, TEs are needed to "stretch" the tissues.

(these are gathered from PS consults, a lot of reading, and so on)

I will say this...the PS in Lethbridge did not bring up one-step. My PS in Calgary DID mention one-step AND TEs, but as I clearly expressed my preference for one-step we focused mostly on that discussion as he knew I was already fairly "in the know"...I did ask him to describe to me advantages or disadvantages of either though (though he volunteered most of that info).

• Windwalker
    edited March 2014
    Options

I am staying in Lethbridge. I was told Calgary would be almost a 2 year wait.

My BS is Dr. Szobota & PS is Dr. Calder. 
    I only had a very quick meeting at the hospital with the PS. I will ask him more questions when we meet next though about the ptosis as I don't want to much of a bolt look. Good to know that some ptosis is possible. I also don't want to come out of surgery alot smaller. Things to discuss at my next meet with PS I guess. I think I remember him saying there was more potential to have scarring with the TE method. I think i'll put together a list of questions to go over with him when we meet next.

• mareluna
    edited March 2014
    Options

Windwalker,

I had the 3D tattoos done in September. I like them  :) I hated just seeing the scars and no nipples. It  helps to look semi-normal when you look in the mirror. Scars are fading some now so that helps too. It does not hurt much to get them. I found out that my right foob was number than the left. They inject lidocaine  before tattooing. I only felt 3 of about 15 shots on the right one and all of the shots on the left.  But I am done. I still have pain where my lymph nodes were removed 2 years ago. No lymph node involvement. Sometimes I have pain near the sternum area. That was the most painful area coming out of surgery.

Rose

• DiveCat
    edited March 2014
    Options

That is great Windwalker, I have seen Dr. Szobota...he is a newer surgeon, but seems very knowledgable and personable. I did not see Dr. Calder, though I have heard of him. I was not aware he did the one-step, so that is great! I will have to keep him in mind if anyone around here ever asks about doing that procedure locally, as I was not aware he did it.

I think in Calgary it depends a LOT on who you see, and whether you are doing immediate recon or delayed recon. I know some doing delayed recon wait a long while, but those doing immediate recon after MX for treatment have a much shorter wait. I am more in the "middle" in that mine is prophylactic. I still need to schedule two surgeons and it is not urgent, but not super non-urgent either as the idea is to keep it prophylactic! I saw my Calgary BS in November, my appointment with the Calgary PS was earlier this month (waited a little over 3 1/2 months for the call for the appointment though!), and my surgery date was scheduled by the next Monday following my appointment for about 6 weeks later. My two surgeons were pretty motivated to get me in as soon as they could though, I think. I know if I had gone with a couple of my other options for a PS, I could have been waiting for an appointment into this fall.

I would have actually had a LONGER wait for surgery in Lethbridge (I had a date before I cancelled it); but of course this varies so much on your surgeons' schedules, urgency of your surgery, and availability of OR time. Mine could not get it all together for about 4 months after my PS consult, whereas in Calgary the surgery was booked for just over 6 weeks after my PS consult (however, in Lethbridge I only waited a few weeks (7-8 or so) to meet the PS, and in Calgary I waited almost 3 1/2 months to meet the PS!). In any event, I will end up having my surgery in Calgary three weeks or so before my previously scheduled Lethbridge date. So, it all came out pretty comparable in the end!