Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Wardrobe pics for boobless days

Comments

• Raye99
    Raye99 Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2010

Yep, ROCK ON Barbe!

Love the news pics posted!

Raye

• lovemygarden
    lovemygarden Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2010
    Ladies, I was in Dress Barn today and they have tons of the type of tops mentioned in this thread (gathered bust area, pretty prints, etc etc) ... apparantly that is The Look for this spring!
  • Raye99
    edited April 2010

Love my Garden,

YES! I bought a dress from the Dress Barn (stumbled in there on my way to DSW  - which I LOVE - and thought I would check it out). Well, I found this gorgeous dress with ruffles all the way down the length of the dress. It has the most beautiful print in deep blues, purples with a cream backdrop. The best thing about it is that I do not have to wear forms with it and you cannot really tell because of the ruffles and the print! Also, the very thin straps are attached to the dress in such a way that none of that area beneath the underarm shows. I will have my husband take a pic and post it if I remember. So exciting to find something flattering for our type of body. Also, found a dress with a neckline that is like a circle? I cannot think of the name of this particular neckline. Perfect for us.

Raye

• Raye99
    edited April 2010

This is the 2nd dress I mentioned above, but I bought it in navy blue. This is the type of circular neckline I meant.

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2010

Raye,

That neckline is really attractive. And with your figure, it must look great!

• lovemygarden
    edited May 2010

Raye, did you buy the ruffled dress recently? I went to my nearest DressBarn yesterday to look for it but didn't see one that fit your description. However, I do know that their stock varies from store to store according to local demographics. If you can post a pic that would be great!

• Raye99
    edited August 2011

Yes, the pic is below. I bought the dress maybe a month ago? You cannot see the length of the dress that well, but it hits about an inch above the knee if that.

• BoobsinaBox
    BoobsinaBox Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2010

Raye,

You look fabulous!  And I love the dress.   I may have to find a Dress Barn locally!

Dawn 

• lovemygarden
    edited May 2010

OMG, I love the dress too and wow you look spectacular! Seriously, you could be a model...!!

Even the colors are what I usually  buy (I've been a shades-of-blue gal all my life... blue eyes and very fair skin, courtesy of my Brit ancestors probably). I'm going to print the pic and take it with me to another DressBarn tomorrow, maybe they can find the SKU in  their database and then see which stores have in stock and in what sizes.

Oh drat, I have no idea whether the boobless me is still an 8 or Medium, or whether I'm now a 6 or Small. Duh. I have broad shoulders so probably still an 8/M in anything with actual sleeves but this is sleeveless... Hm, Raye, we may be about the same size (5'4" and around 110 lbs) ... what size worked for you??

• Raye99
    edited April 2010

aww, thanks so much ladies! I am just so happy to find a sleeveless summer dress that works. Doesn't happen often.

LMG - Yes, I am sure the Dress Barn can track down the dress for you. Yes, we are about the same size, although you are a bit smaller.  I am about 5'6"/120ish lbs., but have very narrow shoulders. The size 4 fits me perfectly. Maybe have them order two sizes if possible to be safe? Good luck! I hope you can find it.

Raye

• lovemygarden
    edited May 2010

Found the dress!! BUT..then the problem became, which of the 2 different color variations to choose?! They had "your" blues but also the same print in shades of soft aqua, light teal, and off-white! Decisions decisions.... in the end I went for the aqua because somehow it said "summer" just a tad more to me. Size 6 worked for me but only because of the unfitted cut; otherwise I'm still an 8 apparantly.

But ladies, DressBarn is absolutely STUFFED right now with tops (from ultra casual to ultra dressy) and dresses that are perfect for boobless days!!  Laughing Prints, solids,low necks, wide necks, high necks, sleeveless and every length of sleeve -- you name it, they've got it. Looks like the entire spring/summer line was designed by one of us Boobless Babes Wink  - I kid you not.

Other than the dress, I walked out of there with no less than six new tops ... plus one more still to hunt for in my size because the store was too busy for them to call around to the other ones with the SKU.

I dare not confess how much $$$ I spent! Cool  (*hangs head in a pathetic show of remorse which convinces absolutely no one* )

Edited to add: Decided to check just one more store, and... I found that last (7th) top in my size. And the absolutely perfect little springy/summery necklace to go with it. Wink Oooh, I am such a baaad girl!  Laughing

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2010

Wow! Y'all have been doing so good! I'm proud of you! Laughing

• robinlbe
    robinlbe Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2010

Lovemygarden...you deserve it:)  You go girl!!!

The rest of you, too!!

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2010

I just posted this on the 'dumb-things-people-have-said-thread' but thought I'd post here as well.

Has anybody had something of this nature happen, and if so what was your response????

When this happened last week, I knew that I'd find this thread and be able to rant in total detail....... and I felt better immediately, on the spot, even while this story was unfolding as though in slow-motion.

Imagine.

I am in a convention center exhibit hall, setting up my booth. My DH has hauled everything in from our car, but I am just capable enough to start putting the backdrop together on my own, while he moves the car to the back-lot.

A woman I have known for the past 15 years (a vendor) comes walking directly toward me. I'm certain she will ask how I'm 'doing' since my BILAT in Jan.... as this is the first we've seen each other since my surgery, in fact this is our first interaction.

I am already engrossed in thinking thru a gazillion details and upset about heading to a PT apointment, just as soon as this is all in place, so I'm a tad distracted.

I am wearing a form-fitting t-shirt and layered over that is a loose fitting button-down jacket.

She walks up. Pulls my jacket away from my body and the first words out of her mouth:

"So just how flat are ya?"

When my head stops revolving on my neck I must have said something about being busy, because she then left me to my set up.

All of you brilliant minds. Who's got the best come back?

xx00xx00xx00xx

Strength and courage.

Strength and courage.

Strength and courage.

P.S. I have chosen not to have reconstruction, so I'm pretty darn flat.

• sher
    sher Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2010

Faith, after just reading your post, I'm sitting here in the astonished, jaw dropped, hanging open position!  Out of sheer amazement, I'd probably have had thia same reaction if she or someone else had said this to me.  But now, after mouth closed, I'm thinking I would have like to have smacked her!

• pickle
    pickle Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2010

Faith: First of all I am sorry that this happened to you. I am stunned that anyone would be so insensitive and downright rude. That comment is one for the Stupidest Comment Record Book.

I am sitting here cringing at how that must have made you feel. You are so much more than that nasty person will ever be.

As far as a comeback.....I likely would have asked   "Are your parents siblings?"Smile

Big Hugs to you sweet lady!

Beth P

• Raye99
    edited May 2010

Oh geez! How freaking inconsiderate. I am so sorry, Faith and cannot even think of a come back that is not totally classless, but when you consider how totally in poor taste her "question" was, that type of comeback would not be out of the question.

Maybe, an "excuse me"? and then just look at her in silence and let her stumble and mumble. Or maybe growl at her, teeth bared.  just kidding. I just find it so unbelievable that people can be so insensitive.  

LMG -

Great job on the shopping!!! Sounds like you had fun and will be looking fabulous this summer.

I found a great halter neck top in white linen at TJ Maxx this weekend. It has ruffles in the front. So cute. $14.99!!

• BoobsinaBox
    edited May 2010

How about ripping her blouse open and asking, "Just how saggy ARE you?"  That is one rude person!  She is not worth letting her bother you.  She will trip on her own tongue someday.  Sorry you had to go through that.

Dawn 

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2010

Faith my quick response would have been would you like me to take off my shirt and show you? I have actually used that one on another rude individual that made a similar coment to me.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2010

Bump for newbies.

• Turtletots
    Turtletots Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2010

In situations where someone says something inappropriate, I usually say something like "What in the world makes you think it is okay to say something like that?" It's interesting how people respond--especially my mother in law ;)

Really, I try to assume the best about people--I've stuck my foot in my mouth before, and I know others do it as well. I try and give someone the benefit of the doubt...but if it is clear that they are completely clueless about how their words can hurt others, I say the above.

• LindaLou53
    LindaLou53 Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2010

Hi Ladies,

This is my first post to this thread but guess its time I joined in!  I'm the lady who posted pics of myself in clothes with and without prosthesis 3 years ago. 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/82/topic/610613?page=1

It really tickles me to see such an active thread here with such wonderful tips and tricks for looking great while going flat!  Plus I love the humor and spunk that is so evident in your posts.

I don't have anything new to add regarding clothing styles best suited for going flat. My style looks for casual comfort first and then I like to play around with color and design details around the neckline / bodice areas. Layers are our friend so I always wear a tank top of some type under another shirt or blouse.  I also have Lymphedema so I wear a full compression sleeve and glove every single day which is a challenging "fashion statement", however I long ago decided not to even try to hide it.  I wear sleeveless tank tops in the summer and don't bother covering up with any other shirt when its hot out.

I actually had on a new top today which I picked up at Marshalls on clearance.  I love the color and it has just enough neckline detail and soft gathers with an empire waist to be comfortable and flattering.  I'm 6 ft tall so I like tops that are more of a tunic length and roomy enough to camouflage my ample midriff and hips. I decided to post a couple pics here and join in on the discussions.

Here is the neckline view of the new top.  I have decided I prefer the look of tops with scoop or V-necks to high neck tops.  Since I always wear a snug fitting tank underneath, I don't worry about too much exposure from a low neckline.  I just try to color coordinate the tanks when I can.

This is a full length body shot showing the top with my crop pants.  I like the way it hangs below my hips but mostly I just enjoy being comfortable!

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited June 2010

Hi Linda,

You really look wonderful. Thanks for sharing the new picture!

Barbara

• BoobsinaBox
    edited June 2010

Love the top, Linda, and you look great!

Dawn 

• robinlbe
    robinlbe Member Posts: 73
    edited June 2010

that looks cute :)

I have found several shirts lately that are great "flat" shirts.....(at least, that's what I call them"...I can wear them without anything.....

some at kohl's and one at t.j. maxx....

even a running shirt (that rang up as a yoga top) at target, that is made of the same fabric as swim suit material.  I just wear it with swim suit bottoms I already had....  I wore it for the first time yesterday at a water park, and I didn't notice the first  "odd' look.....so I think I'm just going to stay with it.....works for me :)

• BonnieK
    BonnieK Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2010

I can't believe how rude that woman was to you, Faith.  I'm not very good at come-backs, but am sure it would have made me steaming mad and embarrassed.  Sorry you had to deal with her ignorance and rudeness.

I am contemplating being "one sided", possibly fairly soon now that my second implant is developing capsular contracture, just as the first one did last year.  I'm used to wearing t-shirts with an overshirt because I'm lop-sided, but am not quite sure how I'm going to deal with having one completely flat side.  It's great to know that all of you are finding solutions for your specific situations.  Thanks for your awesome and positive posts!

Bonnie

• jenn1975
    jenn1975 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2010

I have been going back and forth with the whole reconstruction thing. I love being able to take them off when I get home. I do have 4 different sizes. They are all B/C but some are fuller than others so I go by what I wear that day to see how full I want to be. Finding a bathing suit has been the most frustrating thing because I am only 34 and still want to wear a bikini. I have worked very hard on my body and still want to feel sexy but a majority of the swim suits for us are what I will wear in several more years. They need to realize that younger people are going though this! So I have taken this into my own hands, I have gotten several really cute bikinis at Target that have removable pads. I bought some of those water filled  push up pads at wallmart and put them in the pockets. This gives me the look of a chest in about an A cup but at least I can wear the cute binkins.

Also the thing that was making me want recon was that I wanted to be able to wear those cute stapless dresses and I felt uncomfortble in them flat... that was until I was flipping through the Victoria's Secret  catalogue one day and I saw one of their "supermodels" in one and guess what she was flat as a board and it looked good on her. So I decided that it had to look good on me too so I went with the patterned ones that are a little more distracting.

I have decided against the recon because I dont want to go through all of that just for strapless dresses. I will just keep changing up the size everyday. How many woman out there who have never gone though this who wish they could change their sizes!

Jennifer

• jenn1975
    jenn1975 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2010

Faith.... I had something pretty similar happen to me. When I was in the hospital just a few hours out of surgery with a bilateral mastectomy, I had several visitors and one of them came in and said "Hi, I just dont know how you just did this, I would rather die than give up my boobs"  I didnt say anything back it just made me realize that some people are not worth wasting our time, effort or breath on.

Jennifer

• JaniceRH
    JaniceRH Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010

Dear Bonnie; I'm glad I found your post; I've developed capsular contracture twice; I'm on my third exchange.  My PS is excellent and we're fighting this from taking ahold again.  I'm 3 1/2 weeks out, I still have my drain, I'm in PT 3 x a week and I see him once aweek, all for (some fairly painful) movements to keep a little ahead of the game.  I'm taking motrin 3 x a day as well as a strong dose of antibiotics...and I'm still getting some adhesions...

I've posted here before about CC, but never received an answer really..I haven't talked to anyone who's had it twice before. This kind of sits in the back of my mind and I don't wan't to say..worried, anxious, or whatnot, but ..hmmm.

Linda, you look beautiful in your pics..

Janice

• EnglishMajor
    EnglishMajor Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2010

Faith--I would have conveniently pretended I misheard the person who asked "How flat are ya?" and responded "How FAT am I? Hey, I am great shape--how bout you? Looks like you could pinch more than an inch!"

Or, as you  slapped her across the face: "Please! Do you think you could keep your hands to yourself?  My husband is a very jealous guy." 

Of course the all purpose "None of your beeswax!" is another option.