Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Class of 2009 - Sisters in the same time frame

Options

Comments

• magob
    magob Member Posts: 242
    Options

Judy - Nice to know you.  Hmmm - I not picking up "elderly" when I read about you.  You seem to be a pretty hip  and with it woman.  Posting online, reading up, ready to go. In fact, if you could spread around some of your fortitude, we are receiving.  Will be thinking about you and sending hugs from afar. XO, Mary 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    Options

Hi MAGOB MARY,

I was thinking about you and wondering how chemo was going?  Wish you were not having to go thru it!

SUEINOHIO,

Are you finished your radiation?  How are you?

Pam 

• valeriekd
    valeriekd Member Posts: 79
    Options

Hi- i thought I would join this thread since it seems to fit and I have read most of  it and identify w/ also most of it/ sore arm from axilla  node dissection  and lumpectomy. Meeting w/ onco and RT on 9/22 w/ a post surgery appt on 9/21. This is all such a long, protracted process! I want to start chemo p-10/20 b/c i wanted to go to a place that teaches macriobiotic cooking  tailored to age/weight.illness etc. I think it sounds like a way of treating besides chemo/rads/tamox etc. Anyone else look into nutritional stuff? Seems like we might be able to deal w/ stress and stuff we eat anyway. Lord knows we r powerless enough. Anyway, thanks for listening and posting - I loved reading it all - feel less alone, Valerie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

Welcome, Valerie.  Hope you'll share what you learn about nutrition.  All I was told by my breast cancer dr's NP was to avoid soy products and to eat a low fat, high protein diet.  I asked about dairy and she said dairy was okay, presumably low-fat dairy.  Some of the women on this website have cut out dairy.

• magob
    Options

Hi, Ladies - Day five of treatament 2, and I'm doing pretty well.  This time around, I'm not fighting it.  Sleeping and repairing happily.  Hope you are all doing well, too.  Thanks for asking, Pam. 

Nutrition is a good topic - I have been given a list of the top 10 foods you can add to your diet for cancer prevention.  When I find it, I'll post it.  Take care, friends.  XO, MG

• carolehalston
    Options
    Magob, glad you're doing well after tx 2.  Hang in there. Smile
  • valeriekd
    valeriekd Member Posts: 79
    Options

Primarily the diet is brown rice, vegetables, fruit, fish, seafood - pretty Japanese in its basic premise but the nice thing is that this place "americanizes" the plan and targets breast Ca in particular. I am kind of excited about it and it is getting my mind off of chemo/rads and tamox! I will certainly share what I have learned and will fill in anyone interested in the institute. Hope all are well. Valerie

• pj12
    Options

Hi Y'all....

Can anyone give an opinion about this?  What is a reasonable time to wait for a biopsy report?

Here's what happened, as Adrian Monk would say.  My radiation oncologist looked at my back and said he was concerned about two moles, that they needed to be biopsied.  I saw my surgeon two weeks ago tomorrow.  He too said at least one of them was suspect and removed them both, sending them for biopsy.  His nurse said report should be back in 5 days or so.  They were sent to the path department of the hospital connected to my surgeon's office.  That pathologist looked and said he wanted a second opinion by a dermatological pathologist so they were sent to another city, 70 miles away.  My guess it that it would have been an intrahospital transaction.  Every day I am told the report should be in but so far no results.  My doctor's nurse is only communicating with the first pathology office.

Is it time for me to get involved or am I being impatient?  I am really suspicious that the tissue has been lost in the shuffle.  I am ready to ask to speak personally with the second pathology facility.  Should I be more patient?  Tomorrow is 14 days since the biopsy was done.

Opinions are appreciated.  I am tres anxious about this.

Pam 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Your tagline leads me to think that you believe patience to be a virtue.  In that case I'll say hold off calling for a few more days BECAUSE in the case of a cancerous mole, a few days is not going to alter any plans of action that you will need to take.  Some departments are just SLOW at getting the reports transcribed, or documents transfered.

On the other hand, if you are truly having anquish, maybe the nurse could call the 2nd hospital to get a verbal report, just so you do not have to be in limbo about it.

• pj12
    Options

Yes, Elimor, I struggle with a patience issue.   So I never know if I am being unreasonable.  Thanks for your counsel.  I don't know what I'll do yet.  Maybe I'll "sic" my husband on them :)

Pam 

• carolehalston
    Options

Pam, I hope you get those test results soon.  I would be experiencing some anxiety and impatience, too.  Reports do get "lost in the shuffle."  One woman posted about her oncotype report being lost for weeks and then suddenly surfacing at her dr's office.  Let us know what you learn.

• magob
    Options

Hi Pam - I'm with Carole.  I'd be pacing by now.  My Oncotype test results were so hard to get.  No one knew why they were delayed.  No one knew who to talk to.  My doctor was out of town. I atually called GenomicHealth in California, and they told me the results had been faxed to my doctor's office. It got to be too much.  I was coping with cancer, not a loose filling for crying out loud. I got up early the next morning, put on a suit, and was at the doctor's office when it opened.  I explained the phone calls, confusing answers, and demanded that someone get those test results right away.  Everyone there agreed that things had been managed poorly.  A nice nurse took me by the hand and we walked from office to office until we had answers.  And we DID get them.  Not saying you need to do this. But step in if things drag on much longer.  No need for this stuff to be swirling in your pretty head when you put it down on the pillow at nght. 

• pj12
    Options

Thanks to you all for making me feel that I am not over reacting to the delay.  I guess now that I am a breast cancer patient everything takes on a more ominous slant.  And I didn't start this.. the doctors raised the red flag!

Okay, I am calling the surgeon's office tomorrow and asking for a direct line to the pathologist.  That should get things rolling.  We retired to this area but lived and worked in Orlando (where my specimen was sent) so I am not averse to showing up there either.  

Best case scenario is that someone is on vacation and it is setting on their desk.  I can live with that if I just know what is going on.

Thanks for the support.

Pam 

• ShazMcG
    ShazMcG Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello ladies, General info. Calling from Australia.  Had surgery/radiation therapy in 1989 for IDCS. Primary and two affected glands. Took Tamoxifen 6 yrs (no problems). Cancer takes its toll initially,  Treatment I feel is more stressful than condition but eventually all is well.   I really believe in the positive power of the mind to heal, & am happy to discuss any problems for your peace of mind.  Ended up with a shrinking boob over the past 10 yrs, and dermatitis from radiotherapy, but generally every day I'm alive is a good day.  Im an old bird of 66 yrs now, and going strong. Please call if u wish to talk.

• jburke1
    jburke1 Member Posts: 258
    Options

Pam- I like you am very bad at waiting I would have probably called them already and tried to get the number to someone who could tell me what was going on. But, that is just me Wink Good luck with your results, I hope everything turns out well for you.

I went this morning for my CAT scan and got all marked up to start radiation on Monday. So, here goes nothin'!

Take care everyone!

Jen

• carolehalston
    Options

Welcome, ShazMcG from Australia!  Glad you're doing well as a bc survivor.  I'm an "old bird" the same age as you!

Jen, good luck to you as you begin your rads.  Hope the treatment is highly effective in preventing any recurrence.  Keep us posted.

I'm wearing a wrist brace, which makes typing challenging.  Since my BMX 8 wks ago, I've developed some carpel tunnel symptoms in both arms and hands, but especially the right.  Don't know whether there's any cause and effect because of nerve damage or whether it's coincidental.  Never had any of these symptoms prior to the surgery.

Happy Wed!

• magob
    Options

Sorry to hear about the wrist brace, Carole.  I feel numbness and an odd tightness in both arms and hands - no mastectomy.  Lumpectomy and removal of nodes in left arm, and port in right shoulder.  I wonder if we start sleeping differently at night after these surgeries.  It may affect the thoracic spine a bit - Hmmm.  Wonder if that plays into it. 

• carolehalston
    Options

Magob, I've been sleeping on my back for the past 8 wks since the BMX.  Pillow under the knees.  Until recently pillows under each arm.  Yesterday I asked the NP if any other MX/recon patient had complained of carpel tunnel symptoms following surgery, and she said no.

In my case I wonder if inactivity is a factor.  Not playing golf.  Not doing yard work or much housework.  I'm about to do some online research on physical therapy for carpal tunnel.  Maybe some exercises will help.  As Rosanna Dana said, It's always something!

• pj12
    Options

Hi CaroleH...

I'm sorry about the carpel tunnel.  It IS always something!

I have read posts on here where women believe their aromatase inhibitor has brought on these symptoms too.  Have you started Arimidex yet?

There are just so many different things going on with our bodies it is hard to know what to blame for ache or pain.  Lots of folks say Arimidex causes foot cramping and I sure do have that BUT it actually started during radiation before I began the AI.  

And my experience is that no one in a doctors' office ever admits other patients have similar complaints.   We have to come here to get the full picture.

Good luck.

Pam 

• carolehalston
    Options

Thanks, Pam, for the sympathy.  I easily located some info online about exercises for carpal tunnel.  I'll start doing those.  Plus I ordered a hand therapy product called Handmaster Plus.  So I'm planning to do what I can to alleviate these uncomfortable sensations without resorting to surgery.  I don't like the idea of wrist surgery on my SNB arm.  Goodness knows what other maladies might develop, like LE.

All in all, I'm very thankful to be getting closer to "normal" every day.  Hard to believe that Fri. marks 8 wks out from surgery.  Time has a way of passing.

No, I haven't started the Arimidex yet so I can't pinpoint it as the culprit.

• flwrgrl
    flwrgrl Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been out of it for a little bit.  I had my port placed 9/4 and my 1st chemo 9/11.  I'm feeling pretty good today.  It actually (thankfully) wasn't that awful.  1 down 3 to go.

The worst part was not starting the stuff for constipation soon enough.....  Ughhh!!  Gotta do that earlier next time.

Kathy

• pj12
    Options

Hi Flwgrl!

You are 1/4 the way through chemo!  How frequent are the treatments?  Will you be finished before the end of the year?

Well, you deserve to be  "out of it a little bit."  We goldie oldies who managed to avoid chemo admire the strength, physically and of character, of all you who have to go through it.  Wish we would divide up the discomfort so you did not have to bear this alone.  

Keep us in the loop and remember, when no one else wants to hear about it, we are here!

Pam 

• flwrgrl
    Options

Hi Pam,

Thanks.  That's what I keep telling my self.  I have my next treatment Oct 2nd.  So, it's every 3 weeks.  I'll be done by November.  My back is killing me today.  I think I've got arthritis from the chemo.  A friend made the comment now you know what it's going to be like when you're 70.  Nice.....  Sitting is torture right now.  I took tylenol but it's not doing much for it.  This sucks!

Kathy

• pj12
    Options

FLWGRL,

This is probably poor comfort but I had terrible back problems in my 40s that seemed to go away with time.  An orthopod told me there can be a lot of realigning going on at that time of life and once things settle down the pain goes away.  I never had any intervention, just anti-inflammation meds.  And walking really helped.  

Can you take Aleve?  It helps me a lot with knee pain when Tylenol is not working.  Some people have tummy trouble with it though.

But honestly, why shouldn't our bodies complain with all they are being put through?  Hugs for your next treatment... and you will be half finished!

Pam 

• MBCR
    MBCR Member Posts: 51
    Options

Hi ladies! I'm new to this thread. I was diagnosed in March 2009. My 6 month check uo & mammo is coming up. I didn't have chemo, just radiation & now I am taking tamoxifen. I still worry about my prognosisi.

• cjo
    cjo Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, I'm new here also.  My diagnosis was August 26, 2009.  The site was first found in April on ultrasound.  I am sorry to say it is a palpable lump near another palpable lump and I didn't realize there was a second one - I thought the 2 were the same.  I would have told you that this area was where my self exams were best because the other (previously-biopsied) lump always scares me.  This was my 5th biopsy, 4th on this breast, and there was some concern that the biopsy scars were getting to be a problem (I am very petite). They had 2 other suspicious areas to biopsy but could not find them at biopsy time.  

Anyway, I am having a mastectomy w/ gel reconstruction next Wednesday the 23rd.  That decision was a no-brainer for me but I think a shock for my husband.   They are saying they don't think it is in the lymph nodes.  I had a good MRI in July.  

I'm a little nervous that there is more in there that they are not seeing though.  My films are very hard to read, breasts are very dense and I've been told this by 3 radiologists. I have lots of lumps and cysts and menopause symptoms / progesterone therapy in the past year year haven't helped matters much.  It takes almost an hour to do a full ultrasound and measure the cysts. 

I had my genetic counseling appt yesterday (grandmother mx in about 1942 at age of 46, and second mx 30 years later plus other cancer in family) and believe we will go for the test.  

• dee1961
    dee1961 Member Posts: 902
    Options

Hi ladies,

I regards to the carpel tunnel symptoms, it could be nerve damage. After my bilateral masts and node dissection, I have had alot of the strange feelings in my arms and hands also. Never had these issues before, so I know it is from the surgeries. I hope you get to feeling better soon :)

Take care!

Dee~

• carolehalston
    Options

Dee, I feel strongly that these carpal tunnel symptoms are a result of nerve damage from my surgery.  I, too, had never had the numbness and tingling in my hands and arms before.  I'm doing some exercises I got from websites and am hoping the strange feelings go away eventually.  I definitely don't want to have surgery on the wrist of my SNB arm.

Welcome, MBCR and cjo.  I'm sorry you qualify for membership in our Class of 2009, but we're happy to lend our support.

• flwrgrl
    Options

pj12345,

I haven't had upper back problems before really.  I have one of those chair massagers which I used last night and then I put the heating pad on it.  Much, much better now.  I'll have to check if I"m able to take Aleve.  I don't know.  The heat works wonders though.  I don't have much pain at all today and I haven't had any Tylenol.  Thanks for the ideas.

Take care,

Kathy

• pj12
    Options

Hi MBCR,

Looks as if you and I are in a similar state: DX'd in March, Rads, no chemo, hormonal therapy.. I am on Arimidex.  It makes me nervous to not have done chemo but everyone said no no no.

To all of you who listened to me whine about the pathology on my moles... FINALLY got it.  Not a melanoma but the kind that can turn malignant so good news-bad news kind of.  I go back to my surgeon Wednesday so he can do a re-excision and get clean margins, not a big deal but get rid of all troublesome cells.  I guess I am indebted to my radiologist for looking at my back and noticing the suspicious spot.  BTW, it was not the gnarly looking mole that is the bad one!  Someone else on this site said they turned up with a melanoma soon after rads and their MD said rads can cause them.  My surgeon said no connection.  Whatever :)

Otherwise, I am feeling good 6 months post DX.  I don't think I have my "drive" back but life is getting back to the new normal.  First PO mammogram next week, that's a big moment.  Then we're off on a little trip to Oklahoma for a high school reunion (DH's).  Hope I get the mammo results before we leave!

Hope everyone has a great weekend... no possibility of doctor visits!

Pam