Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Class of 2009 - Sisters in the same time frame

Options

Comments

• arnie2two
    arnie2two Member Posts: 374
    Options

Read mostly on this thread but had to post this little tidbit;

When they gave me the radioactive dye...two young looking male doctors walked in the room and the "cocky" one said, "Mrs. ____ we're going to have to make 4-6 pin pokes in your nipple area".  I looked directly at him and said, "Pretend it's your nuts"...  Boy was he shocked, but by that time I had been pricked and poked and prodded and I had had it with the procedures.  The nurse who was standing behind him bent over in gales of silent laughter.  After they left the room she stated, "Good for you"!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Arnie2two, your comment was priceless!  You gave me a good laugh this morning!

• DebbieSawyer
    DebbieSawyer Member Posts: 30
    Options

Arnie2two: OMG, that was so funny! I'll definitely use your comment, if it comes to that!

So the next two nervous weeks before surgery, I've filled with chores to keep my mind off of it. Anyone else have lag time or was your surgery scheduled right away?  What did you do to keep busy (besides reading every single forum on here)? I've scheduled dentist, chiropractor, hair cut and color, drinks with friends (several times), two cords of oak wood to be split (with DH's help of course), house to clean, weeds to pull, lawn to mow, vet check (lame horse), and as much horse riding as possible. All in two weeks. I'll be so tired by the time the SNB happens, I'll probably sleep through the needle sticks. Ha.

On another topic, it's been interesting how my friends and family react to this BC news. Dear friends I don't see often, have offered up so much of their time and help (like cleaning my bathroom!), while a couple very close friends barely acknowledged my news. Strange. I loved the comment I read on another forum here, that a change comes over people who have been diagnosed, they become "the people who are now aware of others". " I find that to be true in my case. I feel like I suddenly woke up to this plight in others. Instead of politely ignoring it (like my close friends are doing), I want my friends to ask questions! Act interested in the procedures! But until a person goes through this, they just don't understand. Heck, I've only been part of this group for one week, and I already feel different. I appreciate you being here, to listen, understanding, and letting me throw out comments, even before I've had time to digest this and think it through.

Well, my DH just made breakfast, so I'm outta here for now. 

A wonderful day to all.........  

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

The reactions of friends are very unpredictable. 

My oldest friend (since 5th grade) who lives in another state was crying over the phone when I told her my Dx.  I told her I have a good chance for Tx to fix me up, so don't worry.  She took "don't worry" to a whole new level, and has not called me in six weeks to see how I'm doing!  I'm sad about that.

My newest friend, who lives 12 miles away, offered to drive me to Tx if I get tired out at the end.  She's a two-time B/C survivor herself, but we met after her second time through it.  Haven't needed to take her up on her offer, but it was so kind of her.  The other friends fall along the spectrum in the middle.  My own family is kind of intermittent about their concern, to the point that I have to "remind" them why I am too tired to do something.  Duh!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Debbie - I had 2 weeks to wait before surgery and made a few meals and soups that I put in the freezer for when I went through Radiation.  They were great when I just couldn't make anything for the family (let alone decide what to make!).  Your DH though sounds like he may be able to help in that area..... mine is not so good in the kitchen unless it is desserts!!

• BarbAnne41
    BarbAnne41 Member Posts: 3
    Options

HI ladies I just found this thread and thought I should throw my hat in the ring, so to speak.

I am still working through reading a few posts but I think I got to them all.

I was dx June 8 2009, my wedding anniversary, Of course I was told May 8 2009, by the radiology doc it was probably cancer at my follow up mammogram and ultra sound (they called me back after they didn't like the one in April), and May 8 was my 41st birthday, and that was after being hospitalized in March for bleeding ulcers, (I thought I had food poisoning) and I collapsed. Peed all over the kitchen floor too. It has been a hell of a year.

They wanted me to have a surgical biopsy, but the surgeon I went to, who came recommended by my GYN office, said if he was going to open me up he was going to take the whole thing, not just a piece. (His wife had gone through 2 battles with bc) He didn't want to have to go back. So it was really a lumpectomy. Then I had a SNB and there was a micro-metastasis, which they treated with radiation. I am kind of doing things backwards. I had 35 treatments of radiation this summer, and now I am in  a bit of a holding pattern before chemo.

The radiation allowed them to get my iron up, scope my stomach again, to make sure the ulcers were healed, and make sure my blood count was holding steady. I had a CT Sept 7th and my Onc decide he wanted a few more scans so I had a PET last Wed (Sept 23) and then last Friday (Sept 25) I had a CT of my Adrenal and an echo-cardiogram.

This coming Thursday (Oct 1)is my chemo care class and Friday (Oct 2) I see my Onc for these last three test results, from last weeks tests/scans, and I hope, no I know, he will finally give me the green light to get my port installed and get this chemo show on the road. I swear the waiting is the hardest part.  

You know, I have made this decision, I have been told what to do, my family is all ready, and then it is a wait and see.  Makes me crazy.

Oh and when the chemo is over I am suppose to go on Tamoxifen for 5 years and have my ovaries out some time in that period. I had my uterus (partial hysterectomy) when I was 28, but now the want the ovaries too! Well more power to em! Wink

Thank you for all your inspiring stories. And a big thank you for starting this thread.

Barbara

• BarbAnne41
    Options

Oh an MAGOB-  I don't know if you are still having pain issues, but the ladies in some of the chemo groups highly recommend taking a Calritin, (not D) an hour before the Nulesta shot, and then for 2 days after. They say it really helps with pain. If that is what is getting you down.

Also if it is muscle fatigue make sure they are checking you for anemia, I had horrible leg fatigue when I thought I had food poisoning and I was actually bleeding to death through stomach ulcers. Anyway the doc said the muscle fatigue was my anemia.

Hope you are better.

Barbara

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653
    Options

Well, I finally got a hold of the correct person at the doctor's office and now I am scheduled for the PET on Monday and back to the Med Onc and surgeon on Thursday.  They also have already received the Oncotype DX back, so I will get the results of that also.  I feel much better about everything today.

That doesn't mean, that if I am not satisfied after the visit next week, that I will not be able to change doctors. 

My friends and family have been great since my bc dx.  My DH has hired a lady to clean the house and I now send a lot of my clothes to the cleaners.  It gives me a lot more time and I am still working.  They people at work all know my status and they are very concerned about my health, I have been there 23 years.  I have been off a lot and they have been very understanding and that helps soooo much.    I work 10 hour days and I am an hour from work, so I have really long days.  The nice part is that I only have to work 4 days a week.

My cousin goes with me to all my appointments, treatments and tests.  That really helps me out, because I live an hour or longer away from the medical facilities that I am sent to.  If my DH is off, then he will  attend the appointments, but I have found he doesn't do very well at the drs office.  Sometimes it is better if I go and then come home and give him the information.  I don't keep anything from him, it is just better this way.

I never thought to say anything snappy to any of the medical people when I was getting my nipples pricked.  However, he was very kind and showed such compassion that even though it hurt, he helped me get through it.

I guess we will all be able to tell some stories when this is all over.

Juannelle

• MBCR
    MBCR Member Posts: 51
    Options

Hi Ladies! Just checkng in. Hope all is well w/ everyone.Just trying to get back on a regular routine now that it is September & back to school.(It's slow going in this household) I like the school year/calender, it keeps me on a schedule & busy w/ my son & his activities. I plan to go back to work next week. I am way overdue.Forgive me for the occassional posts. I'm not a frequent flyer on the computer. HUGS to everyone.

• flwrgrl
    flwrgrl Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I had a core needle biopsy-pressure, little pain at first but they gave me another painkiller shot and then no pain, big ugly bruise.  I had some pain after the painkillers wore off but I think if I would have had a more supportive bra that it wouldn't have been as bad.  The radioactive shot-was described as a "bee sting".  Ha, yeah a billion killer bees!  Smile  I choked my poor Ipod to death (good thing is wasn't alive, and I didn't crack it--little sucker's strong!). Wink  The wire localization was done after the "bee sting" and it was no problem.  Some pressure but no pain at all.  Afterwards the put a styrofoam cup over it so I looked a little funny but it didn't hurt.

My second TC is tomorrow and I'm nervous about it.  I was wondering how others have done going through chemo.  Did the SEs stay the same or get worse as you progress?  Oh, and my hair started falling out last weekend.  That's just the bestest thing ever!! NOT!!  Ok, done ranting...

Thanks everyone and I hope everyone is having a good day,

Kathy

• one-L
    Options

I have a PET scan done Monday.  Then to the doctor on Thursday to find out the results.  She has also received by Oncotype DX tests results, so I am hoping for a good report on both.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend.  I normally only work 4 days a week, but have been on a special project for a year and it was finally implemented on 10/1, so I had to work all 3 days of my weekend.  The project is a new Fatigue Rule for Nuclear Power Plants, so guess who is fatigued after working about 40 hours in 3 days?  Oh well, I have a job, so I should be happy.

Juannelle

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    Options

Hi One-L,

Wow, your job sounds impressive.  We are all in awe of nuclear energy.  Could you figure out how to harness some of it for your radiation therapy?  It would save a lot of money!   I guess working long hours keeps one's mind off of health problems but I hope you can slow down once your treatment begins.  

We are on a trip... setting in a Hampton Inn in Cornith Mississippi right now.  It's out of our way but DH wanted to see an antenna set up an email acquaintance has so here we are.  It rained all the way from Tulsa so hope the sun shines tomorrow.

Waiting for test results are the worst!  I hope all comes back clear.  I remember feeling so glad to know I ONLY had breast cancer!

You asked about a time window for starting radiation.  My surgeon told me the ideal time to start radiation was 6-8 weeks after surgery.  Of course there are all kind of factors to delay things but I was aiming for that window and got in under the wire.

Kathy,

Sorry, I can not weigh on on chemo SEs.  I am so sorry you are having to go thru all of this.  The hair loss is just adding insult to injury.  You are so brave to put on a positive attitude and fight this.  My great admiration for your spirit.

Pam 

• BarbAnne41
    Options

Juannelle good luck with the PET scan. I just had one of those. I will keep you in my thoughts and send some positive vibes your way.

Thankfully all my scans came back clear. Just like you Pam I was so deeply thankful to know I only had breast cancer. But the waiting is the worst.  The treatment part feels more like I am actually participating in my healing-if that makes any sense.

Wednesday I get my port put in and I am waiting for the call about when my first infusion date is scheduled. Hopefully soon, the sooner I get started the sooner I will finish-right?

Wishing you all well

Barbara

• pj12
    Options

Has anyone else had a post lumpectomy - post radiation mammogram?

I had one in September, 6 months after DX.  Good report - wonderful.  BUT now my radiated breast seems more swollen again.  When radiation ended my treated side was larger, same bra cup but totally fuller, but over three months things seemed to even up.   Now I am noticing the treated side is definitely fuller again.. not just perkier, bigger.  That is not a good thing :(

I know, with everything some of us have to endure, this is a petty thing to complain about.  Maybe I can excuse it as just curious.  I don't have any arm swelling on that side but my axilla (armpit) is fuller.  I try to not sleep on that side but end up that way a lot of nights.   Could I be causing this?

Opinions and wild guesses appreciated.

Pam 

• middlesister2
    middlesister2 Member Posts: 1
    Options

diagnosed Sept. 24th 2009.  No surgery yet.  HER2+ BRCA1  I am very close to deciding to get a bilateral mastectomy.  Don't know the stage yet but it is only in right breast and is very small, around 1 cm.  I am 50yrs old.  Logically I know the bm is the right decision but emotionally I am still having problems. 

• carolehalston
    Options

middlesister2, sorry you're having to make this difficult decision.  I wish you wisdom in figuring out what is right for you.  I'm older than you by quite a few years, age 66, and I had a BMX with a diagnosis similar to yours except I'm ER/PR positive.  I also had immediate recon., and I don't regret my surgery choice.  With that said, I have a "new normal" as far as adjusting to my new breasts and stretched pec muscles.  But I played 18 holes of golf today with no chest discomfort.  I did get tired, but it was almost 90 degrees, sunny and humid.

Maybe in a year I'll go about life with little awareness of my chest, but now I'm almost constantly aware of it. 

One major consideration for me was avoiding radiation and also avoiding mammograms in the future.  I'll still have regular screening but only one mammogram in a few months for a baseline view of the underarms.

My BS made it clear that survival rates are just as good for lumpectomy patients as MX patients.  However, if you're BRCA1 positive, my BS would recommend mastectomy and hysterectomy.  My cousin's daughter inherited the mutated gene from her mother and grandmother and had BMX, recon, and hysterectomy in the early 30's.  She'd already adopted two children since she was unable to conceive.

Good luck!

• pj12
    Options

CaroleH,

What a good and thoughtful contribution to middlesister2's question!  No one understands like someone who has had the same experience.

Pam 

• pj12
    Options

If anyone is looking for soft t-shirts to wear post surgery or during radiation:  Target has a line of clothes labeled Mossimo.  The t-shirts I just bought were on a clearance rack and cost $2.24 but I would have gladly paid full price for them during radiation TX.  They are thin so can be worn under a button up shirt, not too bulky or hot.  94% cotton, 6 %spandex so they are quite stretchy and even though my left arm is still stiff with limited overhead range I can get them on and off.  They wash up well, did not shrink and did not wrinkle much at all.  I wish I had found them when I was in radiation and could not wear a bra.  My regular t-shirts were too thick and coarse  and hot to wear under other shirts.  

• pj12
    Options

Hooray for Canadian researchers who are figuring out how to measure estrogen levels in breast tissue to see if tamoxifen or AIs are actually working.  

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33212358/ns/health-womens_health/ 

• one-L
    Options

I go today to the Med Onc and give her my decision on Chemo.  I have decided to go ahead and do it.  This was one of the hardest decisions I have had to made since my dx.  Everything else just fell in line and was just a course I had to do, but this was a very personal decision. 

My OncoType DX score came back a 25 and I am 59 so I am mid of the mid  range, but I really do not want to have to fight this battle again.  So I am going for it all.  Chemo then 6 weeks of radiation.

I cry every time I comb my hair but I have made the decision not to wear a wig so I have been out buying scarves.  I brought some that I have to tie and then I have bought some others that are already tied for the days that I don't feel making the effort.

I feel a peace about my decision and that is what is important.

Juannelle

• jburke1
    jburke1 Member Posts: 258
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Haven't been on here in a while, hope everyone is doing well. Juannelle, I am glad you made your decision on chemo and more importantly that you feel at peace with it. I wish you strength and good luck as you forge ahead with your treatment.

I go today to get my BRCA 1 & 2 test results. I am sort of nervous, and I know it does no good to be nervous, but I am. If I come back positive that will change my course of treatment and probably will end up doing chemo and they will also want to remove my ovaries. So, that being said, I am a little anxious about the results. But, it will be what it will be.

Take care, hugs to all of you wonderful women!

Jen

• pj12
    Options

Hi Again,

Looks like this is a suspenseful day for some of us.  I had my repeat lung CT scan to see if anything has changed  with lung nodule.  Sure hope not!

I am so glad you have reached a decision, Juanelle.  It's like jumping out of an airplane... now you are committed and you are on your way!  I don't have experience to know how hard it will be but I know you will get through it and feel like you did everything you should have.   You are going to be stylin' with all those cute scarves!  I worked in a wig shop as a teenager and had to wear a wig at work.  They gave me the worst headaches.  I have a big head and they were always too tight.  Please know that you are in my thoughts. 

This disease is too awful for you young women, Jen!  All the usual stuff is bad enough but then they have to start talking about oophorectomies and all.  I am wishing you a good report...  sending out vibes even as I type and you might be sitting with the Dr getting the word.   Wish it worked that easily.  But thinking of you.

Pam 

• jburke1
    Options

Thanks for the good vibes Pam! They worked, I am BRCA 1 & 2 Negative! So, good news on that today. So, my treatment will not change and I will just go forward from here with my ovaries and my hair in tact. It is scary stuff, but I know I could have it a whole lot worse.

Thank you for prayers and thoughts, as I am praying for each one of you!

Hugs

Jen

• pj12
    Options

HOORAY FOR JEN!   A good report card :)  What is the next step?

Pam 

• carolehalston
    Options

Great news, Jen!  So happy for you!

• pj12
    Options
    Sore breasts a warning with hormone therapyTenderness after starting HRT may indicate greater cancer risk, study findsBreast Cancer Awareness 8 ways to reduce your risk of breast cancer 
    More women have healthy breast removed 
    Today Show: Breast cancer coverage
    The smartest cancer advice you’ve ever heard 
    Quiz: Are you at risk for breast cancer  Most popular

By Julie Steenhuysenupdated 11:14 a.m. ET, Tues., Oct . 13, 2009CHICAGO - Women whose breasts became tender after taking hormone replacement therapy had nearly twice the risk of developing breast cancerthan women whose breasts did not become tender on the drugs, U.S. researchers said on Monday.They said breast tenderness may be a way to identify women who have a higher risk of developing breast cancerwhile taking hormone replacement therapy to treat menopause."We report that an increase in breast tenderness, easily detected by physicians or patients, identifies a population at particular risk for breast cancer," Dr. Carolyn Crandall of the University of California Los Angeles and colleagues reported in the Archives of Internal Medicine.The team analyzed data on the more than 16,000 women who took estrogen-plus-progestin as part of the widely publicized Women's Health Initiative or WHI study, which was halted in 2002 when researchers found healthy menopausal women who took the drugs were more likely to develop breast cancer.Most of the women in the WHI studies took Premarin or Prempro made by Wyeth.Doctors now recommend hormone replacement therapy for women suffering severe menopause symptoms, but caution that they should use the lowest dose possible for the shortest period of time.Crandall and colleagues culled through the data to see if breast tenderness played a role in breast cancer risk. In the study, 8,506 took estrogen plus progestin and 8,102 got placebo pills.The women had mammograms and breast exams at the start of the trial and every year after that. They reported whether they had breast tenderness at the beginning of the trial and a year later.Marker of increased risk
    Based on their analysis, the researchers found women who took hormone treatments had triple the risk of developing breast tenderness.And those who had breast tenderness after taking the pills were at 48 percent higher risk of invasive breast cancer than other women who took hormone replacement therapy.The team said the relationship between breast tenderness and breast cancer risk was not clear.It may be that hormone therapy is causing breast-tissue cells to multiply more rapidly, but the team could not tell that by the study, Crandall said."We need to figure out what makes certain women more susceptible to developing breast tenderness during hormone therapy," Crandall said in a statement.The team said breast tenderness while taking combination hormone therapy "may be a marker of increased breast cancer risk," and women who develop breast tenderness after taking the drugs should consult their doctors about whether they should continue on the therapy.Wyeth said in a statement that while the findings are interesting and may warrant further study, breast tenderness is not an established risk factor for breast cancer. CLICK FOR RELATED CONTENT  Protect your breasts — get moving
    Are you at risk for breast cancer
      Ohio couple both fighting breast cancer They said breast tenderness can occur in up to 25 percent of women after starting combined hormone therapy and is usually transient."Wyeth continues to support the appropriate use of hormone therapy and recommends that it be used at the lowest dose for the appropriate duration consistent with treatment goals and risks for the individual woman," the company said.More than 400,000 women die from breast cancer globally each year. About 75 percent of breast cancers are estrogen-receptor positive, meaning they are fed by estrogen.Copyright 2009 Reuters. Click for restrictions.
  • pj12
    Options

Interesting article about HRT and sore breasts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33292706/ns/health-cancer/from/ET 

• jburke1
    Options

Thank you Pam and Carol!

The next step is just finishing up Radiation, in which today is my exact half way point, then I go back to see my onc on 11/5 to get started on Tamoxifen.

Pam, with your rads was your breast very sore and achy? Mine is so sore and just aches with I am not in a bra, which these days is not very often. I was told that since I have larger breasts that mine would get sore because of the amount of radiation they have to use to get through all of the tissue. But, I guess I didn't realize just how sore it would be. No skin breakdown yet, but I am very red.

Anyway, hope all is well with you!

Take care, hugs

Jen

• carolehalston
    Options

Pam, I read the article about HRT and breast tenderness.  I took HRT for about 16 yrs and had no breast tenderness.  My mother experienced the soreness when she tried HRT and discontinued it.

• flwrgrl
    flwrgrl Member Posts: 13
    Options

I hear ya one-L,

I've been wearing alot of really cool hats.  And I've been jazzing them up with lapel pins.  I still have some "peach fuzz" and I have a wig but I'm digging the hats right now and I haven't tried putting the wig one yet.

I think losing your hair is one of the hardest things about chemo.  Next Friday is my 3 of 4 treatments.  I'm sooo looking forward to being done!  Can't wait!

Good luck and take care,

Kathy