MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

stinky stuff, yup...enjoyed for a while in my late teens and still love the smell to this day :)  Eli, I love how you said "Glad no one is busy having breast cancer this weekend"  -  that cracked me up for some reason!!!

• marlegal

oh geez, I did the same thing here that I did on the beaches site!!  Forgot to note that I got an absolutely lovely thank you note from Marisa Weiss for the spa gift certificate.  She was truly touched and asked me to relay her thanks to all, so thank you from Dr. Weiss :)

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Hey gals, I also donated to BCO on Dr Weiss' behalf and I also received a hand written thank you note from her. She is my hero.

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553

Hi all - have been away picking up DD and 2nd DD's stuff as their university year has finished. 7 hour drive down on Friday and 7 hours back on Saturday - have been lazing around today apart from dealing with loads and loads of washing that was brought home.

Don't get a lot of 'good' concerts in little old NZ but I saw Dire Straits here in about 1984 (fabulous) then the Rolling Stones in the Superdome when I was on holiday in New Orleans in 1996 and have seen Michael Jackson, Bee Gees, U2 and the Eagles here when they came through.  And although it was not a music concert I was booked in to see 'Riverdance', the Michael Flatley Irish dance show, but he got sick in Sydney and they cancelled the NZ leg of the tour - was not happy about that!  Have seen several Andrew Lloyd Weber stage shows (all great) and the 'O' show when I was in Vegas was INCREDIBLE!

Never smoked anything but I do love the smell of the 'stinky stuff'.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Hi Rae! Missed you!

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

To day  is sunday, I had a tough time cleaning my house, washing clothes. My eldest daughter, who has been with me since my treatment  has gone  out  to judge a painting competition. So I have to do everything by myself today. I cooked, rice, dal, and cauliflower  safji no fish for both of us very simple.

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,606

rajkumari,

Please remember to rest and take care of yourself too.  Your daughter must be a very good artist to be a judge of other artwork?    And one more question....I am not familiar with dal or safji....please explain what these are.  Probably healthier than Cheetos? 

• Raj20

Dal and sabji is Indian name. Actualy Dal  is made from Pulses, I just boiled 150gms tuver  with 400 ml water in the pressure cooker. And while  waiting the pressure cooker cool,  I fried cut onion, some whole Indian spices, 2 red chillies in a little bit of butter till it becomes brown and mix  the boiled pulses , pour 200 ml boiled  water and cooked for  2/3 minutes.Salt as per the requirement. This is the way how I make Dal. And  for  Safji  , I cut cauliflower 500 gms. into small flowerets, green peas, tomatoes. I put  1 tablespoon vegetable oil, I put onion,ginger, garlic paste ,stir till it separates then I put  tomatoes,green chilli ,stir  till the tomatoes is half cooked and then  mixed  cauliflwers ,pince of  tumeric powder and mixed well and cooked in steam till it is properly done and sprinkle  corriender leaves on the safji. This preparation is  completely Veg. You may not be able to  eat as our food is totally different from yours. When I feel like to have continental food I used to go  resturant but it is very expensive  and moreover homemade  food is the best, I think so.

• Bukki
    Bukki Member Posts: 103

Just on browsing and found this thread and the great sounding recipe that rajkumari posted. I am post all my surgeries for breast cancer and reconstruction.....total of six due to some complications....finished last Dec. Now I am off recuping from knee surgery....a tear in my menisicus.

Just wanted to say glad I found this page....I am 55. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

We're glad you found this page as well.

• zogo

rajkumari, that sounds wonderful and I would be very interested to taste it.  I love Indian food and I bet you make a yummy curry, as well.

bukki, it's so nice to see there is light on the other side of surgery....hope your knee heals quickly! 

• Bukki

Thanks ladies. I can not stop thinking about that recipe......wondering if I have all the ingrediants or if need to call my sister and talk her in to picking up some items from the store so I can make it.....still have driving resrtictions as it is my right knee.and my SO has gone in to work. 

• Raj20

Bukki, I just tried to divert our mind from BC problems, I felt so bad when I go through the problems facing my illinois ladies and Jogo needs explanation on my cooking, so I just did it. So enjoy, life is so precious. We don,t know about tomoro. Lets just share  as much as we can when are in the link for the moment.

• Bukki

((((rajkumari))))....hugs to you

• Raj20

Bukki, hugs for you too! I love you all.

• Meece

Raj, I think I may try out that recipe for your cauliflower dish.  I have a spicy cauliflower dish I make that everyone loves, so I might mix it up a bit with your safji.  Thank you for sharing.

• Raj20

Meece! that,s good idea. You know, we stay in different countries even though  we are sharing each other through this thread. Feeling so good ! It will remain as a mark in my life. I can,t express my feelings. Thanx. This is new life for all of us.

• Meece

I have to laugh.  DIL is from Ohio.  She knows how to cook meat and potatoes, but has no idea how to use seaonings.  DS, growing up in my house,a nd on the west coast is a seasoning/herb user.  So if he wants flavor in his food, he has to be the cook.  She just doesn't "get" how to combine sesonings and spices to enhace food's natural flavors.

I laugh because maybe she's smart.  If your husband isn't raving about your cooking, maybe he'll cook more often.

In our house, whoever cooks doesn't have to clean up the kitchen afterwards.  I'd much rather cook!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Hello, Bukki, and welcome.  Many women here are through with active treatment also, just trying to maintain and fight off the nerves when mammo time rolls around.

For making the dal that raj mentions, you can use red lentils.  I think those are not too hard to find in American stores.  They are in the "international aisle" where I shop.

• Meece

We have many Indian grocery stores in our city, I am sure I could find whatever I needed there.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    What freaks me out is that I read for the first time about Pulses this morning!! I would have gone DOI???? if I hadn't read the article. It makes them sound like they have a heart though....eeeewwwwwww Yell
  • Raj20

Hi! barbe  we were just trying  to pass time with reality. Joining this thread is real wonder. I was so so tired today after heavy work. I just post what I did today as everyone does. You remember, you had advised me to increase my food intake earlier inspite of your struggle. Now I have started trying  new new things. How is yr. treatment going on? Trust everything is okay.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Raj, I've been enjoying the recipes too! It sounds like you are doing less frying which is WAY better! Good for you!

• marlegal

raj, I work with an Indian woman who is in Singapore right now because her Mom is very ill.  she is one of my best friends in work and I miss her very much and am very sad for her.  somehow, reading your posts is making me feel like she is a little closer, so thank you. bukki, welcome to our group - this is a great place to be, for sure!  if you didn't catch our page 200 party, go back a few pages and check it out - we do like to party in this room!!!  I tested out a pumpkin cheesecake recipe today in advance of thanksgiving - never made a cheesecake period - had to buy the springform pan and all - wish me luck!!!

• Meece

Marlegal, you will be amazed how a springform pan can make you feel like a real pastry chef!  One year for christmas dinner I bought 10 small ones, and made everyone at dinner their own little cheesecake to top with whatever they wanted.  Some people even appreciated it.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    elimar: you got me with thuis new pic, i had to look three times.. is that a guy hangin off the baloons ? wow!!3jays
  • raeinnz

LOVE cheesecake - especially chocolate chip vanilla because you can actually taste the 'cheese' in it, not just the flavouring.

• raeinnz
  • zogo

they tested a kid getting picked up by balloons on Mythbusters.  The amount of balloons it would take made it basically impossible.  Sorry to be a spoil sport =(  But I love the  picture!

• lciscarroll
    lciscarroll Member Posts: 32
    I just heard a very interesting radio broadcast with Dr. Susan Love. I knew I had to share it with all of you.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2010/11/13/791-hormones-breast-cancer-and-bones/

Laurie