MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

OMG rae...I never had chocolate chip cheesecake before.

Did you make it tourself?

• raeinnz
    raeinnz Member Posts: 553

Hi Sheila

I do make one myself but our local cheesecake place makes it better - it is just to die for! 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    welcome bukki... Meece, i used that in a different way, with my ms, i kept burning everything (true) so now, hubby is cooking. its' getting better, i coach, he cooks.. thanks RAJ, for the reminder to just worry about today...glad you're coming here more often... 3jays
  • niteowl
    niteowl Member Posts: 6

I think this is a good post. I was on this site a few months ago after having breast cancer raise its ugly head again after more than 21 years. Now I'm considering  rreconstruction and I think I read somewhere here about a new type that uses live cells that regrow, I had a latissimus dorsis ( SP) on my right side, Now I have this awful unbalanced situation now that my left side is gone. I did not need chemo or radiation due to the size, so I was told, of this new one. But there is some new way to do a reconstruction. Does anyone know what that is? And yes they want me to take the estrogen treatment for five years, but I'm afraid my life will be miserable. Tomorrow I have my six month check up.

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349

You may want to go over to the recon site to ask around there about the procedure you are thinking of.   I had a diep recon, which transplants abdominal tissue up to create breasts after a mx.  I saw a tv spot on something like you described, but I thought it was still experimental.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Oh Rae, OMG, Cheesecake !!  My absolute FAV dessert ! Tongue out

rajkumari ~ The safji sounds absolutely fabulous! I'm going to try it, will look in my cookbooks for further information. What is tuver? I can't find that in the dictionery. I did find out was Pulses was. I learned something new today, or should I say tonight, as I see it is really getting late.

Welcome Bukki!

niteowl ~ After 21 years? OMgoodness...........I did not have MX, so I don't know about reconstruction. Good luck on your check-up.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    welcome niteowl, i am one, too..lol sorrry your'e here, and after 21 yrs.. wow..go to the recon site. ididn't have recon, either     3jays
  • zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,606

Hi Nitewowl, Yes. I heard that information in a commercial on tv as well.  And I did look it up, as I am having a bilateral mastectomy with immediate diep reconstruction in a couple weeks and researched the topic to death.  It is still in the research phase (I think in Australia and Pittsburgh PA probably other places too) They take stem cells and grow a mound of fat tissue to replace the breast tissue.  I haven't heard anyone on this site that has had experience with it....but definitely come on over to the reconstruction threads and ask.  

Sorry you find yourself here again....hugs 

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

valjean ! it,s nice  to learn you liked my reciepe. Tuver is Red lentil. There are varieties of pulses production in India, so many names, black, yellow in colors which has different Indian names. These pulses has contain  proteins. We make soup out these pulses. Our rice is not sticky so dal is essential in every houses. You can try if you can get the same in your market. I will try to post the  English or continental name later if you are interested.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I have not posted in forever on this thread mostly i read and lurk. But I love how you come together for support here. I was very moved to see our friend from India sharing recipes. So many women suffering from BC everywhere it is just amazing. It is good to see us able to all come together and share.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Greetings niteowl!   This may be a dumb question, but your second B/C was a new primary tumor and not a recurrence, right?  I wonder what the longest has been between someone having the B/C removed and a recurrence showing up.  I'm going to MedOnc today, maybe I'll remember to inquire on that.  Good Luck at your appt. too.  I guess this is why, once we have demonstrated that we can grow a nasty little B/C tumor, we have to be vigilant for the rest of our lives. 

Also welcome to lciscarrol & kcshreve

• Raj20

elimor, that,s correct, even after the treatment or survival one should always remain under strict vigil of the doctor. I agree with you. Being 5 years and 9 months survivor, I never forget to report to my doctor every six months as a follow up treatment. I did mammography during last visit in Aug and chest X-ray which was okay.  My doctor said everything is okay. But there is no relief and very difficult to subside my worry thinking if BC comes again suddenly,what should I do ....so and so. How much we can take care as we never know what will be next.  Even our doctor can not predict how far we are cured. So what we will do is that simply enjoy life with good health. I pray everyday to take away these worries from my mind. And now after meeting with you guys through posting topics,I feel I can easily face it if at all BC comes back. I have no worry for myself but worrying for others who cannot express their problems openly.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

rajkumari...I enjoy reading your posts.

And i love it when you give out recipes.

I also use red lentil a lot I make soup by adding all types of fresh vegetables and a sweet potato to give that creamy texture. After its cooked goes in the blender. And we all love it.

My daughter adds yogurt in the soup and I like it with freshly squeezed lemon.

I also grew up with pulses (i learned a new word) being born and raised in Turkey.

• elimar

The pic today is from the French short film The Red Balloon.  I had posted it on the Middle Aged Memories thread, remembering that I saw it on t.v. A LOT as a kid.  (I bet Barbe and our other Canadian gals did too.)  In the film, a boy gets a a red balloon for a friend, bullies gang up and pop the balloon and the pic is the final scene where balloons come from all over to carry the boy thru' the sky. 

The symbolism for this thread...how we can all come together here to "lift" the person who had their "balloon" metaphorically popped by B/C.  

• brazos58
    brazos58 Member Posts: 109

Welcome Niteowl.... wishing you answers, sending you strength!

Snehlata, I totaly enjoy your posts Cool

Elimar, thoughts going out to you today on your Onc Visit

Wheeehhhhh, I am still recovering from the partay in here! I saw the ABB in Phila last week, and got hit with a nasty cold tooo.

and now all these recepies!

Meece.... how to you get them to clean up if you cook?  Send me your magic wand? I obviously spend my time cleaning up, hense no cooking.

yesterday I went to my neices baby shower for Twin Boys....I was in a room full of 50 women with Boobies....and the whole Baby Booby thing.  And I saw alot of people who love me that have not seen me since I was hit with Cancer... sans Boobies. It was HARD. I cried  on the way home and was in a funk all nite. This post op camisole with the fluffs just makes me want to throw it out the window.

So I am stopping by as you always make me feel better, just knowing you are out there in cyberspace.

(( Blessings))

(( Welcome to all Newbies, and all who I forgot to mention something about ))

• elimar
    Brazos, what had you so down?  Was it seeing everyone else who was unchanged, but being among them and being "different" than the last time you all saw each other?  Hopefully, that will pass in time.  You were brave to go to the shower and face everyone at once in a large group, but now that you have done that, it won't be near so hard when you see them individually and you got it all out of the way at once.  That was a commando move, girl!
  • Raj20

Hi seyla, thanks. I used to mixed yogurt (Dahi in Indian) with finely cut cucumber sprinkle with curry leaves.. this process is known as Raita. The  taste is good specially in hot summer days. I filled my stomach only with that while I skip  lunch due to heavy load of work in my office. I am not a good cook, but sometimes I feel to expose what I eat just to get to know what other BC woman eats to improve their health condition.Cooking red lentil with carrot,beans is also not bad. Sometimes, I put smoke fish too in the lentils just to get different   taste.Everytime having the same taste gets boring, so change is better. Now it is already dinner time here. I will try your daughters yogurt soup. Warm kisses for her.

• brazos58
    brazos58 Member Posts: 109

Elimar... IT WAS HARD. It was all that you mentioned in your post and I was with people that have known me all my life... since I was a girl...watched me grow up.  It was the tears in theyre eyes, and some just held on to me. It was all the Perfect Boobies and my taking a stand going Commando ....... looking towards my emerging Amazon Woman.  And knowing I just have to do this grieving time. I am almost 5 months Post op.  And THANK YOU for the Balloons and your post. You Rock!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Brazos, I have tears in my eyes for you, but only because I admire you for taking it on.  No matter when or where if you mention you are a survivor everyone's eyes immediately fall on our chests.  We can't change the world, just the way we react to it.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Dear Brazos ~ I THINK YOU ARE VERY BRAVE! I haven't even told some people in my extended family that I have gone through bc, nor family on my DH's side. (tho that was his decision bec. he does not confide anything in any of his family, &, yes, I know it really is my choice on who knows, but I agree with him).

I only had a lumpectomy so I can't know the deep feeling & fear you feel/felt, but, to me, you are very courageous, as well as all the sisters who have been where I have not.  

I am truly sorry you had to experience that & I echo elimar, you have done it, the next time shouldn't be nearly so hard. They love you, remember that.

{{BIG HUGS}}

♥      ♥      ♥

• elimar

I KNEW it.  I knew if I told my MedOnc that my back is hurting, he'd want to scan it.  I'm supposed to get a bone scan and they are making an appt. for me.  I know half of you on here got a bone scan as a routine procedure during your treatment phase and it's not that big a deal.

On my way home (all of ten minutes) I decided I will probably put this off til after the holidays.  What if I do have bone mets?  Six weeks is not going to make a difference.  What if I don't, then it's probably some mid-age osteo-arthritis and my back will continue to have it during the holidays anyway.

Of course I am afraid that something malignant shows up.  My other big fear is that something does show up on the scan, only they can't tell from the scan if it is cancer-y or non-cancer-y; and that it will require further investigation.  Like poking and cutting, and radioactivity.  I know that is pessimistic.  I told the scheduler about my fear and she told me I was looking at the glass half-empty, so I told her that my pessimism doesn't even bother with the glass, it drinks straight from the bottle, often without removing it from the brown paper bag.  She laughed more than neccessary.  

Are "false positives" common or rare with bone scans?  What is the accuracy like?  Has anyone here had a worrisome scan, that turned out to be nothing?  I'm going to search on some other threads too.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{{ELIMAR}}}} I don't have answers for you but I feel your anxiety. I am holding your hand!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Elimar, if you do have something worrisome, they do a follow-up with an MRI. A bone scan is only a diagnostic tool not the holy grail. Even a PET scan needs to be followed-up by an MRI when something is iffy. So, if you do have to have a follow-up MRI then you know there is an area of conern. Could be really bad arthritis, bursistis or even a previous injury from when you were like 4. It shows EVERYTHING that has ever happened to your bones.

It's a long boring day. Injection. Sent away to walk and move around for 3-4 hours. Then the scan. Scan can take 30-60 minutes and don't be surprised if they ask you questions during the scan. Does your shoulder bother you? Did you break your right arm before? Things like that. It helps them read the scan better.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Hugs Elimar could be nothing serious.I went through a similar scare last may.Did all the scans and pain turned out to be Arthritus.I know its hard not to worry but we are all here for you.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Elimar, Well, I'm there with the scheduler, probably laughing more than necessary, but your description of drinking straight from the bottle cracked me up!  My co-workers are wondering WTH?

• elimar

Thanks for breaking it down, Barbe.  I exaggerated my worry in my first post.  I really am not that fearful (because I did not have node involvement, did not have lymph or vascular invasion noted on my pathology.  I should be o.k.)  I've been reading during this interval of my posts.  The bone scan can be a good thing, and I have not had one previously so at the very least it can be a baseline for any others I might need to have done in the future.  The down side to what I have been reading is that NONE of the various scans are without flaws in their accuracy.  The bone scan is high 90's% for certain types of lesions, but only around 70% for another type. 

I'll will be drinking straight from the bottle -- the water bottle, that is -- on the day I do get scanned.  I just read if you pee a lot during the wait while you absorb the radioactive material, you can lessen the amount of radiation to the bladder.

• barbe1958

Elimar, please note, and anyone else reading here. Not having nodal involvement does not ensure you of not getting mets! That is an urban legend, my friend. Lymph or vascual invasion may not be noted or found but that doesn't mean that a single cancer cell hasn't traveled from your breast. I don't mean to be a fear mongerer, but I think it only fair to point that we are ALL just one diagnosis away from Stage IV! The Stage III's think they are closer, yet they get way more aggressive treatment than the Is and IIs. It is becoming noted in the industry that the Is and IIs are developing mets at a higher ratio than the IIIs. Remember, staging is used only for treatment protocol and it looks like that may change in the future!

• elimar

Yes, I know.  That is why should was in italics. 

The Red Balloon Pictures, Images and Photos

• barbe1958

I noticed the italics, but the whole sentence ignored the italics and just read too optimistical. Of course, we have to be optimistical (is that even a word?) but as I'm going through yet another bone mets scare (or more!) I feel like a bit of a downer, so I'll back out for a bit.....sorry!

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

We each have our own way of dealing with the unknown.

I am always of the 'how-quick-can-this-get-scheduled-and-accomplished' mindset.

I always respect each person here, who comes to grip on their own timetable.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Elimar)))))))))))))))))))))

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Barbe))))))))))))))))))))))

xx00xx00xx00xx00xx