Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Anandagram - You are not whimpy.  The only reason the RO wants to do a so called skin check is so that he can bill your insurance for another visit.  I had to go back at one week and it was such a joke.  In my case, he was doing it to cover his ass.  I have vowed to never, ever do that again.

• Reality
    Reality Member Posts: 532

Thanks, jo - that's exactly what I stated on another thread yesterday - One more billing for my insurance company! One more $20 co-pay for me - no way. 

• Reality

OMG Ceezetheday - I just reread my previous message to you - I meant to type that you ARE NOT being whimpy - so sorry - I should have proofread!  So sorry

• Reality

Ceezetheday - whew! I just realized that I could edit my previous post, so I did. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

ATTENTION PLEASE: Y'ALL KNOW I'M A PAIN EXPERT SO LISTEN UP!!!!

My DH bought me Voltaren cream and IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! It is expensive, but not as much as the narcotics I'm on!!! I'd think that if you get break through pain while on this, then you have a problem. GIVE IT A TRY!!!! This is only recent for me and you ladies are the first to hear the good news!!!!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Barbe, where are you using the cream? Soooo glad something works - woo hoo!!!

Jo, if it's recommended that you have a breast MRI, if at all possible, ask to be walked through the procedure including seeing the machine. I had at least 4 for various reasons before I switched to the BSGI's and I never was offered earphones, there was no light inside, and no mirror for the breast MRI while you're lying on your stomach. When I had MRI's for my neck/back, and was lying on my back, there was a mirror above me. Like someone else said, I get back pain when I lay on my stomach, so that was the pain involved for me. I'm not claustrophobic at all...the reason I stopped was back pain and the incident with the dye leaking out and me being ignored until I actually did scream...that was the last straw!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Barbe is the cream an OTC med.  I would be interested for my arthristis in my neck

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I love this group!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Is the creme Barbe mentioned called something else in U.S.?  I don't think I've ever seen Voltaren.  Interested!

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    ^^^ what elimar said.
  • juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

the generic name is diclofenac , i believe its prescription here in the us,its also an nsaid  , so do the med check for interactions!    thats my psa for today. have a good day everybody

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Love the new pic Eli.  I would so wear the dress on the far left.  I would like it to be abit longer though.  I will wear a dress or a skirt if its almost to my feet..  I got a dress for New Years Eve that was knee lenght but I had tights and long boots on so I wasnt to uncomfortable in it. 

Have a great day all.  I hope everyone has a great day today.  For anyone have tests or treatments today I hope it goes smoothly for you all.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Jo, I'm positive your doctor will give you Ativan to relax you before your MRI. I've had my docs do that every time I've had one, for neck, back and breasts. This last time, for the breast MRI, they gave me a choice of a pill I could take at home, or they could give me an IV there. I chose the pill. Either way, I think you have to have someone drive you home if you take the Ativan.

But it definitely calmed me. The other thing I do is ask them to tell me how long each scan will take and to let me know when they're down to 3 minutes, 2 minutes, or whatever, so I have some sense of time and can tell myself, "only 2 more minutes and this one will be through." When I know I'm down to 3 minutes, I play a game with myself and try to count the seconds to see whether I get to the finish line before or after they do. The next time I try to count moe quickly or slowly. It's all mind games to get me through this.  Sometimes I see how quickly I can do the alphabet backwards, too. Anything to pass the time without moving a muscle or thinking about what you're going through! 

• barbe1958

Yep, diclofenac!! I put it on my hips and it REALLY helped!! My hips get so bad in the winter.....I'm not going to worry about whatever is in it as I just can't worry about another thing. So there!! I figure it has to be better than taking more Oxycontin or another Hydromorphon...sigh.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

I have been using the same Voltaren cream on my Arthritic feet and back of my neck.Put it on a night for a good nights sleep. 

• barbe1958

Oooooh, that must feel really good on your feet!! Funny thing is, I don't feel anything! That's kind of the point, but I expected warmth or something. Just all of a sudden realized my hips weren't hurting! Surprise!!

• Reality

barbe - SO glad you found something that works for you. Thanks for sharing

• jo1955

Marlegal & WaveWhisper - Thanks for the advice.  I will ask all kinds of questions.  I won't know for sure if I will have one until Tues.  I know I am whining a bit - but does this crap every end????  I am so sick of the appts.  Even though I do love my surgeon, I thought I was so through seeing him.  

Hope everyone has a great day. 

• Reality

Hi jo - NO you are absolutely not whining! You are right - enough of this crap. I decided I was not going to deal with it today with the scheduled skin-check, so I took the chicken way out and left a message on the docs answering machine, early this a.m. when I knew noone would be there! It is icy and snowy here in the Adirondacks - I am comfy and warm in my little cabin with all my pets and do not have to bare my breast for anyone today!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Jo your not whining!  This is the one place I am so comfortable coming to, so I can get it out.  I know here others get it. This can all be so over wheming at times and I just dont have anyone I can turn to other then my sissy who gets it.  The only thing she doesnt understand is the Tammo issues.  Both times her BC was TN so she doesnt have the SE like the gals who do take it have.  I love coming here because I dont have to hide how Im really doing.  I hope it does get better for you girl!

• jo1955

Paula - I have to totally agree with you.  There are those that don't understand and that can be frustrating.  At least here, you can come to whine and vent and feel a sense of relief when you are done. Besides, you come up with some fabulous "eye candy"  LOL!

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Was it wrong of me to answer my NP at the RO yesterday "why will it give me cancer" when she said good after I told her I don't smoke? She was pretty quick with her response though - she said it will give me the kind they can't fix. Of course I said you can't fix mine either now so maybe I shoud start lol.

•   Elimar, just stopped in to see what the mystery pic was.....I am always curious as I am so bad at guessing them and want to find out what they were.   I also LOVE that pic....that was my cool Grandma's era....the one who lived in Mich and had the dress shop where I revisited in Dec. I have a black velvet dress of hers in my Dad's attic....had a little rimestone strap on it.  Mama was a pack rat.  Love that look and it reminds me of the Sex in the City gang( + one)  in another era.  Hope everyone gets good test results.  Oddly enough MRI's put me to sleep. 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Egad-am I responsible for this weekend's MP since I guessed snow?

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Well I know it's not me Joni. I don't even guess anymore because I'm never even close :)

• Sherryc

Barb I am going to have to ask my PCP for some of that Voltran cream.  Maybe it will ease my neck pain.

Going to my pain Dr and MO tomorrow and MOnday I have a breast MRI

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I guessed frozen lake.  That was the closest I've come to a right answer.  Congrats Eph!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Marybe,  Stop back on Sat. to see what Eph3_12 puts up for the Mystery Pic.

Reesie,  MP is like lotto...can't win if you don't play.  Plus, MP is FREE!  Keep guessing.

Not a "weather report," but my joint aches are worse during a cold snap, or a rain/snow day.  People have reported that since way back, so if your arthur-itis & rheuma-tizz seems to be flaring up, at least part of it could be changes in the weather.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Hi everyone!  I have company, my cherished niece Renee is here from Colorado.  She is 18 and such a doll.  She got a tattoo for me after my BC was diagnosed......pink ribbon with the words "Indomitable Will" written on it.  That is my girl!  Anyway she is leaving tomorrow and I know i will have a blubber fest all the way home from the airport.  We have had so much fun cooking and watching silly movies and just being goofy!  I had two sons so being around a girl is so fun.

Sherry...my neck is always a nightmare, so sore.  I recently had the MRI on my lower spine which found the herniated disc, but wish he had done an MRI on my neck.  I had a couple of bad tosses off of horses several years ago and maybe that contributes.  I was having PT on my neck but can't say it helped.  i do take muscle relaxers and Advil.  Try freezing plain old bottles of water, they are the perfect shape for lying under the back of your head.  Wrap in a towel and ice for 20 minutes at a tinme.  Also you can try alternating with a heating pad.  I hope you find some relief.  I sure understand!

I have a question...or two.  I finished rads early October.  My BC breast is swollen, not a lot but noticeable and definitely worse in the past month.  It is also painful now.  Where the tumor was removed is very puffy and where the nodes were taken also puffy, kind of puckered.  It is worse than it was a couple months ago.  I do have my regular 6 month follow up with my BS January 24th.  It just concerns me because it is interfering with my PT for my back.  I cannot lie on my stomach, it is just too painful.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this this far out of rads.  The fact that it just now is getting painful bothers me.  Sometimes the pain wakes me up at night.  Grrrrr..............

I have not been able to keep up but think of all of you daily.  You ladies are my inspiration and never forget how much I cherish you and count on your support.

Better days ahead for all, my wish.  Hugs always!

• Sherryc

Janis my breast hurt more the further out I got from rads.  Finally after 9 months out I said I can't stand it any more and want to try PT so the MO sent me to PT for my breast and it worked.  I did not realized that alot of my pain was coming from my pec muscle.  I also have nerve damage from rads and the pec muscle pain was aggravating it so much.  I am finished with PT and what a difference it has made.

Also I started going to acupuncture for my neck and I do believe it it working.  I started on Saturday and on Sunday was able to put off my day time pain pill, by Monday I skipped my daytime pain pill.  I went again last night and I took a pain pill before bed and I did not wake up all night for another pain pill.  this is the first time in weeks that has happened.  They are also treating my breast pain so hopefully the nerve thing will get even better with the acupuncture.  I was a little skeptical at first but out of desperation decided to try it.  I figured it could not hurt me.  I am amazed.  I think I am really starting to believe some of this Eastern Medicine.