Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CALLING ALL STAGE I SISTERS

Options

Comments

• Lories
    Lories Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi all, I have not been on the boards for some time, trying to get my life back to normal, but I am quickly approaching my one year DX anniversary and my 1 year full mammo and of course feeling a tad apprehensive.  I could not sleep last night so read all your postings on my iphone, but could not write in from there for some reason.

I had an 8mm IDC, no nodes oncotype score of 18 but no chemo and one month of rads - the intense shortened version.  I have been on Femara since March and wonder sometimes, are my hips just sore from the pills or is it mets???  I had one Zometa infusion, since they are using that in Austria, but since not approved here looks like I will be footing that bill.

I enjoyed reading all about you all.  I too sometimes share your frustration, that my cancer was 'run of the mill' (as someone told me) and very small(others told me) but heck its still cancer!!!!

Here is my question - what type of tests are typical at the 1 year anniversary? I am guessing a full mammo (scheduled mine) since at 6 months they only did my affected girl, but what else? I read about MRIs and Pets and bone scans and ......what should I be asking for?  I had a blood test in August for my onc, not sure what that was for, is that the cancer marker test?

looking for feedback please. 

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Lories, I can relate to your nervousness. Even after 4 years I get very nervous.

As far as I can tell you from my own experience is Diagnostic mammo (both breasts) and the results was given to me the same day. I didn't have no bone scan except the one they do after your DX. No pet scan. I'm reading alot about MRI but it was never suggested by my oncologist.

Yes the blood work is for cancer marker test. I get that every 4 months, I'm also on Femara with no side effects. But my understanding is from the other sisters you can get pain and achy joins. I'm sure someone can give you more information.

Bone Density test every 2 years because of Femara.

Good luck to you and welcome to our group.

Smile Sheila

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Francine, I really appreciate your inviting me. but I'm going to have to decline because I don't like to go in the city. I do hope you all have great time.

Please let me know  how it was. I live in lower Westchester.

Hugs

SheilaWink

• crusader1
    crusader1 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2009
    Options

,I get no scans as there was no node involvement.( that's what my oncologist says) I do get a yearly mamo plus Ultrasound. My onco feels that one should have breast felt carefully at each visit. I go once every three months for blood work and visit as I am on Arimidex. I also take Zometa as my bone density was not that good. This strenghtens bones a dn is given twice a year.My doctor also did not recommend an MRI>

Lories ..this year was my first anniversary of the fateful mamogram. I was so so nervous.

Hugs,

Francine

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

Francine, My bone density test is not that good either, but they dont want to give me anything. Just Calcium+D. I almost got Boniva and then he said lets wait until your next test which is in 2011

• ktmimi2
    ktmimi2 Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2009
    Options

Sue,

Hi, thanks for your input. So, here's the deal. The insurance authorized Arimidex. My Onc nurse said when I start it and if I have ANY problems (SE) the Onc will write to my Insurance and say that this is NOT working for my patient. Then.....they will authorize the Femara. Crazy, Huh? So I picked up the prescription and it cost me NOTHING, ZERO, ZIPO, NADA. We shall see. I am concerned about switching but I don't have a choice. Maybe I will be okay with the Arimidex if not hopefully I can go back to my Femara. I just hate to switch now, with the holidays coming. Oh well, this too shall pass. Thanks again!!!!!

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

THIS IS THE LATEST;   FOR DEBORYE AND JONI

ARIMIDEX will become generic as early as JUNE 2010  (changed from December 2009)

FEMARA  will become generic as early as JUNE 2011

If you need more details just Google it

• Lories
    Lories Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi thanks Sheila and Francine.  that helps.  I initially had an MRI, and our geneticist recommends it, so will push to keep up with those.  talk to you later.  Lori

• cakeisgreat
    cakeisgreat Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi, guys!

so...I now know that not only do I have the flu, but I also have a kidney infection.

Waaaa...I feel awful!

• Makratz
    Makratz Member Posts: 1,605
    edited November 2009
    Options

So sorry to hear that, Cake.  Get some rest and take care!

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

cakeisgreat...  Hope you feel better soon. Soup is good. I was sick with fever and aches yesterday, Frozen soup came very handy. Take care of yourself. Okay?

• crusader1
    crusader1 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I was told last week by the oncological nurse that Arimidex will become generic on January 1st. It's funny as I just got off the phone this morning with her. Just remembered that I have to call her in a day or two to discuss Vitamin D results. I will ask her then.

Hugs,

Francine

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited November 2009
    Options

Cake, have someone go get you some cranberry juice.  Drink a lot of water and juice!  Hope you feel better.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited November 2009
    Options

Cake, Meece is correct, the cranberry juice flushes out the kidneys. Too bad you couldn't add  a little vodka to it, huh? Hope you feel better soon.......Sue

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options
  • carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hope you feel better soon, Cake!  Try to get all the rest you can and drink lots of fluids.

My onc checkup on Friday went well.  He ordered an x-ray of my right femur since I was having some leg pain, but the results came back normal today so I am much relieved.  My onc doesn't do routine scans, tests or blood work.  I do have mammos every six months, so I'll have the next one on the one year anniversary of my dx.  No stress there...Wink

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options
  • cakeisgreat
    cakeisgreat Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2009
    Options

Awesome, carolinachick about your xray.  Whew!

Thanks for the cranberry reminder guys!  I have cranberry pills I'll start taking until I can coax my dear hubby to running to the store to buy me some juice.  I like cranberry juice.

You know what's wild about the infection also...I had cramping that started when I started the Tamox in beginning of October...I thought it was the Tamox giving me menstrual cramps, but now I think it was bladder pain, LOL, and now my kidneys hurt too.  It was a little different than period cramps, but I figured...new drug, new pains and wrote it off.  Well, at least I can tell the difference now! Laughing

• Meece
    edited November 2009
    Options

Cake,

I have taken those cranberry pills as well.  When I have had a weekend kidney infection begin, I found a product over the counter called Cystex which releived a lot of the pain until I could see my GP for the regular Sulfa type fix.  I keep some Cystex in my drawer at work, just in case.  Hope you feel better sooooooooooooon!

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

To Cake with Hugs.   Sheila

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20091116/panel-breast-screening-should-start-50

TO ALL MY BC SISTERS. IF YOU ALREADY DIDNT READ IT. PLEASE DO IT NOW.

SHEILA

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20091116/panel-breast-screening-should-start-50

TO ALL MY BC SISTERS IF YOU ALREADY DIDNT READ IT. PLEASE DO IT NOW.

SHEILA

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,056
    edited November 2009
    Options

and this too Wink

check out this link:http://www.breastcancer.org/opinion/mammography_guidelines.jsp **** Dr. Marisa Weiss (Breastcancer.org President and Founder) is going head to head with Susan Komen 11/17 on Good Morning America (8:00 a.m. EDT). Dr. Weiss will be defending the role of mammography for women between 40 and 50. ************
  • sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

Thank you Moderators for letting me post the link and to all the PM the last one hour.

Smile Sheila

• Makratz
    edited November 2009
    Options

Thanks Sheila and Moderators.  That is just so disturbing to me!  And to tell women not to do self exams!  I had a mamo 1 month prior to finding my lump myself!! I was 41!!!!!!!!!! I will have to watch GMA tomorrow.

Thanks again.

• Meece
    edited November 2009
    Options

I would have put off my mammo for who knows how long if I hadn't done the self exam and found the lump myself!  I was 40!!!!!!!!

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited November 2009
    Options

Glad you are feeling better Sheila and I am doin the happy dance that Arimidex is going generic.

• Makratz
    edited November 2009
    Options

There are so many of us that were dx prior to our 50th birthdays!  This is where we are lucky that we are stage 1.  I'm sure we all would have advanced BC if we had to wait another 10 years!

• sheila888
    edited November 2009
    Options

Sorry Ladies I am reposting the link again for the new page

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited November 2009
    Options

I agree with you Linda, I read that article on WebMD and that is outrageous.  I hope the HELL the insurance company's don't agree with this decision.  In the long run it will cost the health insurance companies more money if you think about it.

My BS is very pro active in tx's she even told my DD that she would do a MRI on her if she wanted because of me and my mother.  My DD will have a mammo when she turns 35, I will fight tooth and nail for that.  If the health insurance says no, I will pay out of pocket.