Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CALLING ALL STAGE I SISTERS

Options

Comments

• PennyK
    PennyK Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2019
    Options

I am ok. Drains were removed yesterday. Almost off prescription pain killers. Tired some days and still very uncomfortable.Chemo will start in two weeks.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2019
    Options

PennyK, did you have an oncodx test or mammoprint test?

Whoops sorry didn't see the her2+. Triple positive means more drugs to fight with.

• PennyK
    PennyK Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2019
    Options

I will get my full treatment plan when I meet with the oncologist early next week. She ran through options with me before surgery but they depended on whether pathology matched the biopsy and MRI results. I can’t remember the 2 chemo drugs she said I would get if the results didn’t increase my stage. I had clean margins, the tumors were free-floating and hadn’t grown. Sentinel lymph nodes were clear

I’ll know next week what the chemo drugs are. I will have an anti-HER2 injection once a month for a year. Chemo will be once a week for 12 weeks. Hormone therapy for 5-10 years. The surgeon placed a port during my surgery.

• oceanbum
    oceanbum Member Posts: 3,644
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thinking of you today, Jenkins00!! Pray all goes well!!

Will be thinking of you and praying for you as well, PennyK as you meet with your oncologist this week!! Keep us updated!!

Sending hugs to you both!!

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited January 2019
    Options

PennyK: I hope all goes well. One of the treasured pieces of advice I received was that I need to be kind to myself. I pass that on to you. Wrap yourself in personal kindness in whatever form that takes.

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2019
    Options

First infusion is done. All went well. Nurses were great. Iced my hands and feet for me. Explained everything in detail and so patient answering questions. Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. I appreciate each and everyone of you! Hugs!

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited January 2019
    Options

Glad to learn all went well, and may that continue to be the case!

• Jenkins00
    edited January 2019
    Options

PennyK - I’m not sure if this was already suggested to you. There is a January 2019 Chemo group going if you want to join.

• Cgbelokin
    Cgbelokin Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Options

I am on my 4 th year of Letrozole following stage 1a lumpectomy and radiation. Just recently my right leg swells. Only the right leg. Anyone else experience this?

• egregious
    egregious Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2019
    Options

Welcome, cgbelokin!

Hope you find the support and encouragement that you need here.

Swelling in one leg like that is a concern. I would at a minimum call your regular doctor's office and ask if they want to see you. It's unlikely to be cancer, but in the general unfairness of life we can have more than one thing go haywire in our lives.

Take care and keep us posted.

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited January 2019
    Options

Cgbelokin...Welcome ..Sorry about the leg swelling ...I hope someone comes along here soon that may have some information for you .I'd definitely go and see the doctor though.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,158
    edited January 2019
    Options

Cgbelokin- I'm with Lucy55, contact your doctor. It could be a blood clot, DVT, or something less serious, but I wouldn't wait.

• oceanbum
    oceanbum Member Posts: 3,644
    edited January 2019
    Options

Cgbelokin, hope all is well with you. Did you see a doctor about the swelling? Has there been any change? Can we have an update please? Just checking up on you.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello...

I have been cancer free for 6 years this past October took Tamoxifen for 5 years and really had no problems with it...Fingers crossed for NED every year here after....Love to All Heart

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 215
    edited January 2019
    Options

Loral congratulations on 6 years NED. And thank you for sharing. It really helps to read stories like this! I will be starting tamoxifen soon and I am pretty nervous about it.

• Lucy55
    edited January 2019
    Options

Loral ..That's great ! Thanks for sharing ..

Dani ..I was very nervous about starting Tamoxifen too ..but I've been lucky too and have had no side effects ..I hope it will be the same for you .

Hugs to all

• Lucy55
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thought I'd give this thread a bump to see how everyone is !

• Jenkins00
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi Lucy55! Slowly turning the corner after round 3 last week. Seems this round really hit me hard and of course my mouth is tore up. Thrush and sores. Only one round left!

Winter is hitting us in Texas right now. Pretty late for us usually we are in the 60's about now.

• everetta
    everetta Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2019
    Options

I am so glad to hear you are doing so well. I too had an oncotype in the 30s but it looks like you didn't do chemo. Had it been recommended? I also thought that with these small stage 1a tumors that chemo generally wasn't recommended but it looks like lots of people have had chemo. Any guidelines? Is this different for people over and younger then 50?

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2019
    Options

There definitely is an age component. I’m under 50 and was told almost from the beginning thatbecause of age and grade I would definitely have chemo.

• Jenkins00
    edited March 2019
    Options

Everetta - I am doing four rounds of chemo because my MammaPrint came back high risk, Luminal B. Plus, I am under 50 and pre-menopausal. I won't have to do radiation because my lymph nodes were clear. I thought after surgery I would avoid chemo but that wasn't in the cards.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited March 2019
    Options

Jenkins, if you don't already have it, there is a mouthwash (can't remember the brand) that you can use to help with mouth sores. I had thrush also and was prescribed meds for that. It helped a lot, although the SE's were kind of scary. Seems like #3 was hard for me, too. The chemo SE's are cumulative. Round 4 made me feel super tired and drained. Heavy legs, shortness of breath from low blood counts, but SE's didn't last long for me. Pretty soon it will be in your rear-view mirror! Best wishes from a fellow Texan!!!

• Jenkins00
    edited March 2019
    Options

Keepthefaith - I am using Biotene to help with the dry mouth and rinsing with baking soda/salt. I will look into the mouthwash for the next round as I am pretty sure thrush and mouth sores will be an SE again. So far it has been with every round. Thanks!

Are you fed up with this weather yet? Cold, warm, cold, warm...

• Cindr
    Cindr Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2019
    Options

I'm new to the Stage 1 family. Original biopsy showed left breast DCIS, grade 2. After lumpectomy i was then diagnosis with Stage 1, grade 2. 4mm tumor. Original tumor, prior to biopsy was 8mm. Having sentinel node surgery next Wednesday since nodes were not taken during lumpectomy 😞 RO giving me the choice of Acceleraled partial breast radiation or full breast radiation as long as nodes are clear.

I really don't know what to do!! Please help! Any experiences with partial breast radiation would be really helpful. I really don't know what to do 😢

Thank you!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    edited March 2019
    Options

Welcome, Cindr! We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we're glad you've joined our community and hope you find this to be a place of support! If you haven't already, you should check out our forum on radiation therapy for some guidance re: partial or full breast rads: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70. Lots of helpful info there!

The Mods

• dearlife
    dearlife Member Posts: 634
    edited March 2019
    Options

Cindr I am sorry you are here too but this is a wonderful place to find information and support. It is good that your tumour is so small.

I don't have experience with partial breast radiation but I had no real problems with whole breast rads on the left side.

It can be overwhelming to cope with a new diagnosis and face some big decisions. Take it one step at a time and remember to breathe. I am sure someone will post more information soon.

Good luck with your sentinel node surgery and keep us updated. You can do this!

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi Cindr-

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics/869399?page=1#post_5356010

Above is a link to a discussion about your radiation question. I'll bet someone there can help you.

So sorry about the upgrade. That is the one upgrade none of us want. Ever. Hang in there. I know it's a shock but it'll get better. I had an after the fact SNB too. Not fun. Hugs.

• Cindr
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you for the welcome note! Not the club I want but so glad you are here for support. I appreciate all the suggestions and follow up with all of them. Praying for peace with a decision. XXOO

• Cindr
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you for your support. I’ll keep everyone update. XXOO

• Cindr
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi Farmerlucy,

Thank you for the info. I’m going to check it out. Any information is helpful. This decision is wearing on me. I’m typically very decisive person but this is driving me nuts. Just don’t know what to do Wishing the doctors would just tell me, that would be much easier !!

Thank you again!!

XXOO