Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CALLING ALL STAGE I SISTERS

Options

Comments

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2019
    Options

Glad to find this topic.

I am not getting much info about what kind of "carcinoma" they're removing tomorrow, only "neoplasm" shows up on my chart. So do I find out after the lumpectomy when they dissect it or whatever? They're doing real-time pathology during surgery tomorrow, which gives me a little peace of mind.

Oh yeah, I did have a phone call in to the dr but didn't hear back. Well, I see him for SNB today. 🤮 starting to feel pretty nervous.

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi prehistoricmom (what a cool screen name! also love the amanda colemane quote),

Neoplasm is a more generic term for abnormal cell growth which forms a tumor. It can be benign or malignant. Carcinoma is a type of neoplasm which is malignant. Then there are types of carcinomas. For me, it's invasive ductal carcinoma. That was identified by the pathologist in the specimen removed during the initial biopsy, so I knew before surgery the general type of breast cancer I had. Other factors could be identified from the biopsy as well, such as the hormone receptor status, rate of cell growth, etc. Real-time pathology done during my lumpectomy was performed to determine the presence of cancer cells in some of my lymph nodes, but certainly it can be done for other reasons, too. Ultimately, the post-surgical pathology report will be the most complete as it was done on a larger section of the tumor and additional testing can be done.

My reports identify my "active diagnosis" this way: "Malignant neoplasm of upper-quadrant of right breast in female, estrogen receptor negative." Interestingly, in my Patient Treatment Summary regarding chemo, the "Treatment Intent" is "Curative." Gee, I hope so!

Good luck with your appointment this afternoon. You'll get a boatload more information then. Might not make you less nervous, but you'll be better armed.

Anne

• Lynbob
    Lynbob Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2019
    Options

hello it's been a long time since I checked in

• prehistoricmom
    prehistoricmom Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2019
    Options

PiperKay thank you so much and the AHA was probably so loud all of Texas heard it.

I finally found out it was ductal when I watched someone write it into my chart on the 16th. Probably was told before but ADD. Working my way through Dr Love but keep throwing the book across the room.

P.S. I am prehistoricmom because my kids used to make fun of me years ago for not being able to pick things up when I wore long fake fingernails. Like watching a velociraptor trying to turn the ignition on or whatever :)

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2019
    Options

In memory of our BCO sister Sheila...
    Thank you for years of sharing and caring on your thread Calling all Stage I Sisters.
    You reached out to countless women in your most loving way, and fostered lasting friendships.
    You will forever be missed.
    Rest in peace and fly free dear Sheila.

==================================
    On December 29th, 2019, the founder of our CALLING ALL STAGE 1 SISTERS thread left this earthly home to fly free with the angels.
    Sheila888 began this thread in July, 2009. There are 511 pages of over 15,000 posts from ladies around the world who find information, support and friendship here.
    I believe that Sheila would be honored to have the thread continue for as long as there are women who who want to post here.
    ===================================
    In loving remembrance:
    2758134890 37dcd4a4cf sheila888 Westchester County, NY Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 25,428 Latest BCO activity: Aug 15, 2019

Joan811

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited December 2019
    Options

Joan ..Thank you for coming and sharing the very sad news about Sheila .Cancer is so unfair ! Please give my condolences to her beautiful family .RIP Sheila ..beautiful lady xx

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited December 2019
    Options

Oh no Sheila! So sorry to hear that. May sweet memories of Sheila comfort all who loved her. Thank you for letting us know Joan. Fly free Sheila

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited December 2019
    Options

RIP Sheila. I met her here 10 years ago and we became Facebook friends. I’ll miss her

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,158
    edited December 2019
    Options

RIP Shelia, and condolences to all who knew her. Sad news.

• Stellawt57
    Stellawt57 Member Posts: 65
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you Joan811 for letting us know of Shelia, may she soar as she enters her eternal life.

• joan811
    edited January 2020
    Options

Dear friends,
    It is so nice to hear that Sheila is remember, missed and loved. She put her heart and soul into this thread.
    It was the second thread I joined on BCO, and it is where I met wonderful ladies from all over.
    Sugar77, you have known Sheila longer than I have. I joined in 2011.
    I had the privilege of attending her funeral mass and of meeting her beautiful daughters. It was a difficult day...but afterwards I remember feeling peaceful, that all that could have been done had been done...and that she is now at peace. I miss her.
    I am mostly on Facebook now with a few BCO friends. But I like to check in.
    I am always happy to see familiar sisters (Hi Lucy55), and others who are new to me (farmerlucy, Sugar, Cindy, Stella).
    May Sheila's spirit of acceptance, sunshine and love be present here, and may many more women come
    to find answers that help, and friendships that last a lifetime.

If anyone is visiting for the first time, I do hope you will come back and get to know some of the ladies here.
    It is a great place to get questions answered and to share the challenges of living with breast cancer.

Joan811

• VeeHow
    VeeHow Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2020
    Options

My surgeon told me it’s just DCIS it won’t kill you. She didn’t know until the lumpectomy it was micro invasive cancer. Preferred treatment is the same but why do they tell you that when they can’t know till they get the whole mass?

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited April 2020
    Options

Ugh VeeHow sorry you got an "upgrade" post surgery. I did as well. It happens about 20% of the time.

• Lucy55
    edited April 2020
    Options

VeeHow...so sorry ..I know how you feel..mine was upgraded to IDC after surgery as well...

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,798
    edited April 2020
    Options

So was mine. However, there was some disagreement among the professionals about preliminary diagnosis. I wanted mastectomy from the beginning, because righty had always been troublesome. Just before surgery they discovered that the DCIS was so widespread that mastectomy was the only option. It was so fast-growing that the surgeon later told me that she had thought it was HER2+. Frustrated that they refuse to do that part of the biopsy analysis until they find invasive C. It belittles the danger presented by little c (carcinoma). They need to prepare patients better.

Sorry for the disappointment. Sometimes we can only prepare for the worst, but pray for the best.

• farmerlucy
    edited April 2020
    Options

Upgrade here too. Takes a while to accept it. You’ll get there. Gentle cyber hug to you.

• 60notpretty
    60notpretty Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2020
    Options

I got an upgrade as well. I am almost cancer free 1 year now so hang in there. I know it seems like forever to get through this, but you will. (((hugs)))

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,158
    edited April 2020
    Options

Veehow - a GF was told the same. All is good, oh this won't kill you, you're fine. She wasn't. I'm glad I didn't have her surgeon, and wish no Dr say those words out loud to a patient. Best of luck to you.

• beep7bop
    beep7bop Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hello everyone I did the double mx, it was a good choice IDC and ILC both breast. First Diagnosis was left breast IDC march 2019. I had a scare this month but got good news yesterday. So I am very Happy. Hope everyone here stays cancer free going forward. To explain I had another growth 6mm by 6mm by 4mm after just finishing my implant surgery on December 2019. I couldn't believe it. Had ultrasound then had to wait ten days for core needle biopsy but I got the report from my doctor really fast within 36 hours. Negative thank God.

• Lucy55
    edited June 2020
    Options

beep..great news ...negative is what we all like to hear !

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited June 2020
    Options

Yep, negative is our positive!

• Lostpup2424
    Lostpup2424 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2020
    Options

I, too am a newbie. I just had a single mastectomy with reconstruction. I am Stage 1 also. It's been four days since surgery and I am very tired. I planned to return to work in two weeks but I'm wondering if that will be long enough. I am lucky and can take off as much time as needed so I am trying to decide whether or not to take another week.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2020
    Options

Lostpup - Two weeks seems like not enough time to me. I had a lumpectomy on a small tumor & 2 weeks was ok for me, on a limited schedule. With mastectomy & reconstruction, would think you will need longer. However, everyone heals/copes differently. You do what works for your body/mind. Healing thoughts and gentle hugs coming your way.

• robinorbit
    robinorbit Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2020
    Options

I have a lumpectomy scheduled for Friday 8/21 and am taking only the day of surgery off work. I’ll work at home the following week. Does this seem doable

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2020
    Options

robinorbit - Will they do any sentinel node biopsies? If so, this will likely be more troublesome from a recovery standpoint than the lumpectomy. My BS authorized 1 week off work for FMLA, but I took 2 weeks off & started working from home 8 days after surgery. Lumpectomy incision was coming along ok, but the sentinel node incision was still painful/very tender. When I returned to the office, it was only about 6 hours a day & used a small pillow under my arm to "cushion" the sentinel node incision. Everyone heals differently, though. Hope this info helps. Best wishes for a speedy recovery & clear margins.

• farmerlucy
    edited August 2020
    Options

I had a lumpectomy/excisional biopsy/ partial mastectomy on a Thursday. On Saturday I went to a football game, but I was quite tired. By Monday I was good. It’s nice that you’ll be at home and hopefully able to take breaks.

When I had the mastectomy, reconstruction meant tissue expanded under the muscle. It was tough. I would not have been ready in two week, though it would been nice to have somethIng else to think about.

I had a separate lymph node biopsy. I don’t even remember any type of time needed for recovery from that. Of course I had already heard my diagnosis and was a complete wreck.

Best wishes everyone

• cassiecanada
    cassiecanada Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hey Robinorbit- you should be good to go !

I way overthought / over prepared for everything-

altho each person is different i fidnt need the

tylenol 3 and was shovelling snow 2 days later

( altho i wasnt supposed to- yikes)- the

general anasthesia wearing off was by far the

worst part

• joan811
    edited August 2020
    Options

robinorbit,
    Good luck with your lumpectomy this week. It's been quite awhile since I had my lumpectomy for IDC. I had the surgery the last week in August. I went home soon after surgery.
    I took the week off from work, plus Labor Day gave me a long week end. Then I returned to work. I felt fine. My breast was enlarged but not noticeable. I could also hear fluid sloshing around inside, which I was hoping nobody else was hearing. It was bizarre, but it stopped after a short time.
    You are planning to work from home...you could feel tender and/or stiff if you will be sitting and maybe using a computer. I had axial nodes removed for testing (underarm, separate incision). Just pace yourself, and rest when you can during the first few days.
    Your pathology will determine any further treatment. My surgeon told me before surgery that for lumpectomy I would have to have radiation. That started about 6 weeks after surgery. I continued working through radiation, and I took off occasionally on Fridays. The radiation did not make me tired. But the driving to work, leaving work and going for rads then driving home 5 days a week for 7 weeks kind of wore me out. There are many options now for getting radiation over shorter time periods.
    It seemed very do-able for me to return to work full time and to go for the radiation. I worked at a college, and when January break came, I took two weeks to completely rest and relax. I needed it.
    I hope everything goes smoothly and that your pathology report is favorable.
    Best wishes,
    Joan
    ============

((( Sheila)))

• Lucy55
    edited August 2020
    Options

Joan...Good to see you ! How are you ?

• farmerlucy
    edited August 2020