Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage II w/Lymph Node Involvement

Options

Comments

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    edited May 2014
    Options

Special K, and others, about the mets thing. All I did was answer a multiple choice question in the profile and it asked: "If your breast cancer is not recurring, is it metastatic?" I answered yes because that's what my pathology report says. Please forgive me for being such a STUPID NEWBIE that I don't know the difference between "mets" and "mets"! I already said this all once! And I can't indicate how many nodes out of how many removed because I haven't even seen a surgeon yet!

This is why I have to leave this forum. Every single stinking thing I write someone has to correct me! I came here for support and all I get is criticism. Y'all just need to check your superior and condescending attitudes at the door! Maybe you have enough survivors. You sure as heck don't need me.

Outta here.

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2014
    Options

Mag,

Definitely not my intention to correct you...just better understand your diagnosis in order to help better! The treatments vary by diagnosis. So sorry if it came across that way! Hope you will stay.

• lonnie713
    lonnie713 Member Posts: 131
    edited May 2014
    Options

Mag,

I don't think that was the intention.  Please don't feel criticized.  Everyone on this board is very helpful.  Hoping that you stay.  Good luck to you.

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited May 2014
    Options

not many posts lately...if anyone on here can answer something about path report it's appreciated...mine says sentinel lymph  node#1..."positive for metastatic tumor in one lymph node...greatest Denison of metastatic tumor 1.2cm"...I had 3/11 nodes positive ..all removed w clear margins...I think Special K addressed this but does it mean that node caught it ?  Are you at greater risk for metastasis (sp)?? I guess you are at greater risk if you have lymph mode involvement anyway....I will also ask my MO... Rosie

• Nocompromises2013
    Nocompromises2013 Member Posts: 136
    edited May 2014
    Options

hi Rosie 

I had 1/13 nodes and mine was 10mm. Who knows if it caught it all we hope so !!... That's why they give you chemo to try and mop up any rogue cells that might have slipped thru.  We just have to hope it did it's job well. I saw my BS this week and asked him if 10mm was big and laughed (nicely) and said they can be as big as a tennis ball !!!  Really the only thing we know for sure is the more lymph nodes affected ( usually 4 or more) then the more likely chance of any metastatic  occurance  down the line 

Also it's good to find out if the nodes came out easily with no extra capsular extension or were matted ( not a good thing). You mentioned clear node margins so sounds like at least it was all contained in the node 

I asked my onc about vasolymphatic invasion and she explained that the breast tissue slides they analyse after Mx are really only a snapshot. Of time. I couldn't work out why I had a node w/o vasolymphatic invasion and the snapshot in time makes sense to me. It was there but moved to the node - if that makes sense?? 

• Cleoland
    Cleoland Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi, I had 24 lymph nodes removed and so far still NED.  I won't lie, I am worried about recurrence and metastasis because of the positive lymph nodes.  At the same time my Oncologist like to remind me that I had a complete pathological responsed to neo adj chemotherapy...  

• Stenokim
    Stenokim Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi, all.  I had 1 of 12 nodes positive,  it was 3 mm.  My MO said that was tiny, if it's under 3 it's not even considered cancerous.  My KI 67 was a 3, which means slow growing.  My oncotype was a 14, 1 percent benefit from chemo, so I did not do chemo.  I had a mastectomy due to the size of my tumor versus the small size of my breast, no recon.  Four ROs reviewed my case for rads...of course they split, 2 said get rads, two said no.  I went with the no guys.  The only reason they considered rads was the one positive node.  My MO said I made the right decision on the rads.  I am on tamoxifen with no side effects except for no period since I started it, which no complaining here.  My one glitch was after I had made peace with my decisions and started the tamoxifen, two months out from surgery, my surgeon calls me out of the blue on a Friday afternoon to tell me I need to get chemo.  That threw me for a loop and frankly pissed me off.  My MO was out of town, they work together in the same office, and BS felt that due to my age at dx, 47, I should get chemo.  I was able to talk with my MO again the next week, who assured me I wasn't a candidate for chemo, as chemo goes after fast growing cells and mine were slow growing.  My MO said all BSs say everyone needs chemo.  I even contacted the "ask a doctor" at Johns Hopkins, a free online service for breast cancer patients, and they told me to listen to MO, not BS.   I was told I had an "old lady" cancer.  I was also told not to take that personally.  Ha. I had a lump for 28 years, was always told it was a fibrous cyst.  Finally had a routine mammo, a little late, I know, at age 47, but that's how I found mine.  Funny thing is, the only reason I went to doctor was I developed heartburn, which I had never had before, didn't know what it was, (possible heart attack), so thought I needed a 47,000 mile checkup. Ever since MX, I've not had heartburn again.  I had it for two straight months before DX.  Divine intervention, I believe.  Had I not had the heartburn, it may have been years before I ever went to doctor.  I was 41 at last check where doc said my lump was just a cyst, just as other three did since I found it at 18 yrs old.  Cancer must have grown under or into the lump I had.  I'm the only one in my family to ever have it.  We do have a family friend that is going to be 99 yrs old in December, and she had BC with lymph node involvement.  She fell down some stairs recently and didn't break a single bone.  Her doc said it was the years of tamoxifen that strengthened her bones that prevented any breaks.  I try to focus on those positive stories.  99 year old BC survivor!  Good luck to all of you gals, and I'll say a prayer for you all.  Kim

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited May 2014
    Options

Wow, you have an AMAZING story, Kim. Thanks soo much for sharing!! (((hugs)))Smile

• Xrayalli
    Xrayalli Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2014
    Options

Great story, Kim! I think your decisions are right for you and your outlook and attitude are awesome!

• Vikingqueen
    Vikingqueen Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2014
    Options

Do you know what it means when there is node positive with capsular extensions? Does this put more risk to vascular invasion? Can the surgeon be sure that nothing was disturbed on the outside of lymph node when it was removed.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited June 2014
    Options

Viking - are you referring to extracapsular extension?

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

Kim, I often wonder how long I had my tumor. Mine was referred to as a "well-behaved" tumor that was very slow growing. My ki-67 was 0.5%. It was scary though, because it was so large and ILC is often referred to as the sneaky cancer. I wonder... I had cysts in the past that had to be drained. It would be interesting to research my records to see if it was the same breast, but it was so long ago I don't think that clinic would even have my records anymore. The cancer's gone. That's all that matters. 

I consulted 3 different ROs regarding rads and they all said no, but that I could have it done if it made me feel better. One told me, just because you get radiation doesn't mean you won't get a recurrence. She seemed adamant that it was low benefit. So I opted out. I figure if I do get a recurrence, I'll do the rads at that time. 

Happy Healing!

• Jennie93
    Jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited June 2014
    Options

Viking - I had the extracapsular extension thing on two of my nodes - the MO said it was like the cancer filled up the node and then "overflowed" a bit.  Although it was one solid clump and easy to remove intact. (Sounds like you were wondering if some of it may have broken off and escaped during surgery?)   It does mean a slightly higher risk so it meant that chemo was a must for me.  "To mop up any stray cells that may have gotten into your bloodstream."  None of the docs seemed too concerned about it, though.  

• Vikingqueen
    Vikingqueen Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2014
    Options

Yes special K it said I node positive axillary dissection 5 neg nodes. extracapsular extension on positive node. My surgeon called it all clear. my node tumor was larger than my breast tumor. They sent mine to Onco dx. Because I could join SWOG trial.hoping to fall into arm of no chemo, thinking they will be watching me carefully for years.

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited June 2014
    Options

Vikingqueen, I am in the SWOG RxPonder trial.  I got the chemo arm.  You will get a few more doctor appointments , blood draws, meetings with a clinical trial nurse.  I also have to track my SEs and meds for the trial.  I don't mind the extra work, I appreciate the extra appointments I will have in the coming years because it provides me with some additionL reassurance.  Good luck to you.

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    edited June 2014
    Options

My ki67 was 70 percent and I was advised to do rads, especially without having had an axillary dissection. They did rads to breast and nodes.

• Stenokim
    edited June 2014
    Options

bc101, I had the same idea with the rads. I was told you can only have it done once to the chest wall, so I didn't want to waste my one chance if it was all clean, which they thought it was. Good margins and all, plus I had a mastectomy vs lumpectomy. Your BC sounds similar to mine. Mine was pretty big, 2.9 cm, but like I said, it took years to get that big.  I knew it was growing but thought it was just a cyst growing.  My docs think I had it for a couple years, the cancer part.  Who knows.  Your KI 67 was super low, that's awesome.  Do you mind me asking your age?  I'm 48.  Kim

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

I'm 57. Yes I felt mine growing, too, but thought it was a cyst. For a long time my cat kept walking on my boobs. I think she was trying to tell me about it!

I actually had a dream about my best friend who died 20 years ago of breast cancer. The next morning I woke up and felt my breast. I felt the tumor right away. All my mammograms were clean before this last one. I don't trust my primary clinic anymore. They didn't find it that whole time.

• Stenokim
    edited June 2014
    Options

BC, I think you're right about your cat. I've heard several stories of pets "finding or sensing" cancer.  And then add the dream to it...that gives me chills. Your picture reminds me of God and heaven. I love it!

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

I just got back last night from an all-day excursion at the clinic last night... followed by a 3 hour drive in rush hour. The fun never ends.

So....last weekend I found a new raised area - almost like swelling - on my chest. They say I might have a seroma or fat necrosis. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on Monday. Just wondering is this common to have almost 5 months out of surgery??? Oh yeah, and apparently I have a frozen shoulder. Nothing like going backwards in your recovery...

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited June 2014
    Options

bc, sorry to hear about the frozen shoulder.  Those are no fun, but they heal.  I had one about 4 years ago and I'm completely over it now.  I still do my PT exercises from time to time just to keep things limber.  I'm in a September 2013 chemo group and several of the ladies there have found similar raised spots that have been tested.  So far, so good for all of them.  Fat necrosis seems to be fairly common even some time out based on the number of ladies that have had to deal with it in that group.  I'll be in your pocket on Monday for your test.  Hope it is "unremarkable" and you have a wonderful day with NED.

Hugs,  Kay

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks Kay :)

• Sereena
    Sereena Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2014
    Options

I am 3 years out from treatment and now have noticed a small hard pea sized lump close to the area of my ALND. Is it possible that there are still lymph nodes in that area.  Really concerned and have my routine MO visit coming up in 3 weeks.

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited June 2014
    Options

Mary, sending positive energy your way for Monday!

Keep me posted on your shoulder.  You probably don't remember. But I had a fall on ice in February from ice...horrible winter in Michigsn, too....right shoulder has never been same. Non cancer side but, dang! 

You need a break, girl.  Hope you get some relief.

Ann

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks Ann!

I fell too, but was able to catch myself with my good arm. My doc said who really knows what caused it. Just have to deal with it now. They want me to take high doses of NSAIDs but my stomach is giving me problems. Also don't want to do cortisone. 

I'm hoping it's nice on Monday so I can at least put the top down on my bug and enjoy some rays!

• hopefortomorrow
    hopefortomorrow Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2014
    Options

bc101, I hope you had good news today! I had a seroma in my breast near the incision- it was well after I had ended treatment, 6 months out. I was scared out of my mind when they did the mamogram and had me stay for an ultrasound. It has gone away by itself.

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi hope,

Yep, that was me, too! I almost started crying when they were doing the US. The scheduling was mixed up and by the time I was finally seen I was pretty stressed. Haven't heard from the doc yet. The radiologist said it didn't look like anything worrisome, although I'd still like to know what it is. Radiologist said it was just tissue, but the doc on Friday said it looked like fluid. I went online and read his notes and he wrote that he thought it could be the TE's leaking?? I put in a call to my PS's office to see if they have any ideas...

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

Oh my gosh... the doc just called and I guess it's just fatty tissue! I'm so embarrassed! Guess I really DO need to lose some weight, lol! Oh well, thank goodness there's no problem - grateful for that!!!

• hopefortomorrow
    hopefortomorrow Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2014
    Options

No! You shouldn't feel embarrassed! How could you have known? Breasts are fatty tissue anyways! Lol. Mine was fluid. So glad it is nothing majorly serious!

• bc101
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks hope ... I'm glad I had it checked out. The area is above my tissue expanders in the center of my chest. I hadn't noticed it before, but it's probably part of the defect from my skin sparing mastectomy. I'm thinking that maybe the surrounding area was also swollen and had just recently gone down. It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes the body to recover from a BMX.