Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Memory returning...I had the paper doll set for "Mary Poppins"

I was pretty sure so looked to find an image.  Yep!  I remembered those outfits and the carpetbag storage folder.  Think I also had a set called "Babes in Toyland," also from a Disney film. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

Does this look like fun or what!?

orphan

• susu1976
    susu1976 Member Posts: 94
    Options

I had bride paper dolls--bride, groom, maid of honor, best man.  Lots of wedding clothes and then the traveling clothes for the honeymoon.  Also had baby paper dolls (well, they were toddlers I guess).  Lots of cute play outfits, bathing suits, snowsuits, and darling little pajamas.  Forgot how much I LOVED those!

• Meece
    Options

When all else failed, I would get the old Sears catalog out and cut out figures that matched each other in size and play with them.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,822
    Options

Not to change the subject, but I was cleaning out the closet the other day and ran accross a Victor Borge CD--remember "Phonetic Punctuation"?  I laughed so hard all through the concert recording! (wheessh pttt)

The carpet bag folder is so cute!   I just watched Mary Poppins on TV last week--I always enjoy that movie!

• Meece
    Options

I haven't thought of Victor Borge in a long time.  When I was little my dad had one of his albums.  When my parents moved a few years ago I ran acrossed their albm collection, but I couldn't take all of them, and now I wish I had.

Christmas Comments

• elimar
    Options

These days, my home has a fireplace, so my kids will never know how truly magical MY childhood Santa was.  I grew up in a home without a fireplace, so my Santa came down the non-existent chimney of a CARDBOARD FIREPLACE.  You could buy these in stores for the sole purpose of having a place to hang up your Christmas stockings.  I remember that mine had a lightbulb that went behind a cardboard stand of logs on some andirons, and could show thru orange and red cellophane to look like flames.  Ooooh, deluxe! 

• Meece
    Options

We had to leave the front door unlocked for Santa when I was little.  Our stockings were taped to the window sill.  Then we got a fake fireplace, No chimney, but a rolling light behind the plastic lag which imitated glowing embers.  Then one year my father built a real fireplace with a hearth and mantle, but by that time I knew how Santa got in the house anyway.

• Meece
    Options

Did anyone get a "Whizzer"  in the 60s?  Mine was red and blue and came with stickers to decorate it.  You could put stripes on the red bottom part and stars on the blue upper part,

Whizzer

• elimar
    Options

To my "Memories" sisters...Wishing You All a Beautiful, Memorable Holiday Season!

Old Fashioned Christmas Pictures, Images and Photos

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    Options

Wishing you all a fabulous Christmas, creating new memories for next year. Enjoy each moment for the gift they truly are...

Linda

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    Options

Merry Christmas Everyone ! Of all the threads, this one is special. Like a good brandy, warming to toes and something to be purely savored and enjoyed; a welcome break from the madness. Thank you all for filling my glass.

Photobucket

M
    Diagnosis: 6/30/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

• elimar
    Options

Rabbit fur jackets, junior fashions of the 70's. Fake rabbit fur too.  My friend had matching mittens with that big round poofy fake rabbit fur hat that had ties with giant fake rabbit fur pompoms at the ends.  These were VERY popular, but I cannot remember if that style even had a name.  Did it? 

• Meece
    Options

I don't know about that.  I know that I had a reversible rabit fur jacket, one side had the body fur and the arms quilted nylon, and the other side had the arms fur and the body quilted nylon.  It was horrible when I took it off, because I awlays had rabbit fur somewhere.

•   I havent been on for awhile.....just returned from my Dad's with a doozy of a cold that in in my chest and now seems to be going into my sinuses. Fortunately it didn't hit until Sat AM so I was able to go to the candlelight service Xmas eve and do all our usual stuff, but we did something different this year....since there were only three of us and I didn't want to cook, we went to a Chinese restaurant copying the idea from the movie Christmas Story.  And then we went to see Sherlock Holmes which I thought to be very good, but my Dad kept saying Sherlock Holmes was never a violent type and Sir Arthur Conan  Doyle was rolling over in his grave at this version.

I called the hospital where I am having my CAT scan tomorrow and said I doubted if I could hold  my breath very long or could go without coughing and the nurse told me to come anyway so I asked Could I please have your name.  If they say they can't do it, it will be Melissa's fault, not mine for not cancelling.  But I do want to get it in before I have to meet another deductible.  When I was at my Dad's someone was over and we were discussing the tree and he asked me if I remembered a light that have sort of a propeller type thing that went around in the bottom of the ball as it warmed up....maybe the same theory as the bubble lights.  He said he has looked everywhere for these and since I did not know what he was talking about I could not help him. 

I did not get my baking completed so still have bourbon balls to dip and haven't done anything with the cutout cookie dough yet.  I always make spingerlies because those are ones my Grandmother made and my Dad always requests them.  I was going to start them early this year, but couldn't locate my molds and then found out they were at my father's house.   

My grandparents had a big lifesize cardboard Santa they would put up by their front door. For some reason I found him scary.  Since I am the one who fills the stockings, mine had nothing but nostalgic candy in it....MaryJanes, Pixie sticks,a chickostick, Teaberry and Beeman's gum and some wax lips.....so I was happy with the contents of my sock. 

Meece, did you always have that picture on there?  You look way too young to have some of the memories you do.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. 

• Meece
    Options

Marybe, thank you so much.  I just put that picture up.  It was take a couple of weeks ago.  I am nearly 47.  During my early life my family was focussed a lot on my older sister, so I spent much of it as an observer.  Seeing what she got and I would have to wait for,what she deemed I was too young to play with, the wonderful hand me downs, etc.  I also came from a very small town which I think may have something to do with my memories. 

My grandparents had one Christmas decoration, a pale green plastic holley wreath that hung on their front door.  They spent Christmas with us so they really didn't need more.

• Meece
    Options

Oh, and believe me, You could tell my age if it were closer up.  I have my share of "character lines".

• susu1976
    susu1976 Member Posts: 94
    Options

Meece:  Your avatar is lovely.  You could easily pass for 35.

Elimar:  I wanted a rabbit fur coat in the worst way, but never got it.  I did have a pair of rabbit fur earmuffs dyed turquoise--yes, turquoise--and I wore them constantly.  I also had one of those bonnet-type hats with the big pom-poms on the end of the strings that tied under your chin.  But mine was brown fake fur.  Not sure if they actually had a name or not.  We also had the cardboard fireplace with the fake "fire" which was a light bulb that was behind some colored cellophane attached to the "logs."  Hahaha!

Marybe:  I LOVE CHICKOSTIX!  Hardly anyone I know remembers them!  Cool.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  Ours was great.  We celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary yesterday with Chinese food and a trip to the museum to see the Titanic exhibition. 

Working today and then off the rest of the week for New Year's.  I want to wish everyone here a very HEALTHY, HAPPY, and PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!  Laughing

• Meece
    Options

Thank you susu.  I have a few gray hairs, but my father who will be 80 in a few months has less gray hair than my husband.  My mother, who is 72, has brown hair with a bit of gray evenly interspursed and her face is nearly wrinkle free, so maybe I have a chance at looking a little younger.  But, I have a high magnifying mirror,  BIG mistake.

I have to work NY Eve, but maybe they will send us home early.  We got to leave 1 hour early on the 23rd.

Happy HEALTHY New Year to all!

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    Options

OK....here's a thought. How did you spend your New Year's Eve way back when? Not that we could go out bar hopping! I remember watching Dick Clark and the ball dropping at midnight. There wasn't much else going on back then!

• elimar
    Options

It was pretty low-budget.  We got to bang on pots and pans with wooden spoons at midnight (but we had some noisemakers from the store too.)   Watched Dick Clark.  Never did watch Guy Lombardo, parents were not a fan.  Maybe try to sneak a sip out of a parents' "highball," drink eggnog and snack on a cheese ball.

Later on, spent many a New Year's Eve out watching friend's bands in a local bar/club.  Even tho' it was a "public" setting, it was always a crowd that were friends already.  Should old acquaintances be forgot...good times.

• nativemainer
    Options

Most of my New Year's Eve's as a teen/young adult were spent babysitting.  The "moneyed folk" would have big parties at their big "summer cottages" and hire a whole bunch of us--to babysit the little ones, serve food, some of the lucky boys got to bartend.  Used to make $100+ on New Year's Eve that way. 

Never having married or been part of a couple I've never gone to a real New Year's Eve party.  Used to work the holiday for the extra pay.  Now I usually "celebrate" by going to bed early with a good book and glass of wine!  

• Meece
    Options

I babysat a lot as a teen, but on the years I didn't my mom would set out soda pop, chips and dip, and a Hickory Farm Beef Stick (for my dad), and we'd watch Dick Clark, and do jigsaw puzzles.  Big time partying, huh?  As we got older, we'd ake our snack to our rooms and listen to Kasey Kassum (sp?) do the top 100 songs of the year.

When I bagan a family, we did much the same.  New Years Day I fix Corned Beef and Cabbage, baby red potatoes, and black eyed peas.  Good luck foods.  I still do that, and even DH (who had never tried it before) looks forward to it.

DH is not much of a night owl, so he usually goes to bed early, and I stay up with the kids.  I may bribe him with a bottle of our favorite wine, or some great "champagne".

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    I remember as a child, Mom Dad and my brother would go to the drive-in theater.  We were already in our PJ's, we went early, swang on the swings until the cartoons came on.  Then we would rush into the car and watch the cartoons.  Not too far into the main movie, my brother and I would fall asleep.  Now there are condos where the Chelmsford Drive in was.  Frown
  • deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    Options

Captain Kangaroo, Major Mudd, Big Brother Bob Emery, Ding Dong School with Miss Frances and Romper Room with Miss Jean.  Drawing with Captian BOB and his puppet Jasper, Sherry Lewis and Lambchop.  BTW Captian BOB is still alive and living on Nantucket.

• Meece
    Options

We had Sheriff John here in So Cal.  Romper Room had Miss MaryAnn when I was little.

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    Options

South Florida had Skipper Chuck..........

• Meece
    Options

I may have mentioned it before, but did anyone remember Hobo Kelly?

• elimar
    Options

Each Romper Room had a local host, or something like that.  I remember the mirror they always held up, looking for the good "do bees."

• nativemainer
    Options

The Romper Room teacher I remember was Miss Nancy.  Years later when I was in college I met her (she was working in the Alumni house then) and I remember being surprised that her name really was Nancy!