Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

In the spirit of the holiday season of days gone by, check this Nestle's commercial with FARFEL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H6tuqbtQDE

That was one dorky lookin' mutt!  Sigh...I remember him like it was yesterday.

• elimar
    Options

Speaking of dorky looking mutts, my avatar is "Rufus" from the "Dakin Pets" collection from the 1970's.  That's why he has a hippy, dippy look on his face.  I got him at a Rxall Drug store that was on my walk home from school, and I'm pretty sure I did pay but you never know.  Before you think I am one big plush toy collector, I should say that I sold him on Ebay a while ago.

He's been, and probably will be, my only avatar because I went with something pink, plus he has the look of being so sorry that I got B/C that he is giving me a litlle flower.  Awwww!

• susu1976
    susu1976 Member Posts: 94
    Options

I read thru all the posts...here are some I don't think were mentioned:  Pixie sticks, Lik-M-Ade, Hubba Bubba bubblegum, Stripes Gum ("Yipes, Stripes!"), Spaghetti O's ("The neat round spaghetti you can eat with a spoon, uh-oh, Spaghetti O's), pop-it beads, Scooter (Skipper's friend), Twist N Turn Waist Barbie, sewing patches on the bell bottom of your jeans (I had a frog, a teddy bear, and a peace symbol), Smiley Faces (mine was on a tie-dyed hot pink short sleeved sweatshirt--yikes), flower power (on everything), leather fringed belts for your jeans, smock-tops, Angel Face powder, Woodhue and Tabu cologne, Yardley lavender soap, Tame hair conditioner, pet turtles you could buy at Grant's or Woolworth's (right next to the parakeets), Maybelline mascara that came in a little cake that you had to moisten (yeah, we used spit sometimes), lip gloss that came in a tube with a litte roll-y ball applicator, nylon scarves that hung on that twirly thing at the Five & Dime for 59 cents, green licorice sticks (like Twizzlers, but spearmint), Sister Belle doll (You can tell it's Mattel, it's SWELL), Go to the Head of the Class and Careers board games--oh, and that lipstick that changed color so that it would be the PERFECT shade for you!  The Patty Duke Show, Whacky Racers, Chilly Willy, Woody Woodpecker, Tom & Jerry, Mr. Magoo, My Favorite Martian (can you tell we loved our tv??), Mr. Ed.  That's all I got right now! 

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    Options

dittos and mimeograph machines

chicklet gum

skip it and clik-clacks

We always wore Buster Brown shoes (we had school shoes, play shoes and sunday shoes - mary janes with a button hook)

• susu1976
    Options

More--What's My Line?, Concentration, Password, You Bet Your Life, 3 Stooges, Gumby & Pokey.  The potato chip delivery guy (Charlie Chips), the newspaper boy collecting once a week for the paper (with the little change thingy on his belt), getting My Weekly Reader in the mail in the summertime, the ice cream man (ours was "Winky")--Nutty Buddys for 25 cents, clipping (with WOODEN clothespins) baseball cards to our bike spokes to make that cool sound, bike baskets, Betty & Veronica comic books.  St. Josephs aspirin for children (orange flavored), Aspergum (gum with aspirin for sore throats).

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

Wow, Susu, you've been thinking about all of this.  We got Weekly Readers at school.  We went through the dittos earlier in this thread or maybe in the "middles" thread including pics.

• susu1976
    Options

Yeah, well, anything to not have to think about my other "issues."  LOL 

We got Weekly Readers at school too, but you could also get a "subscription" to get them at home in the summer.  Mom paid for it because I guess she thought at least it was educational, unlike Mad magazine...

• elimar
    Options

susu1976, Hubba Bubba came in that long rope, and one (well-liked) teacher in school let us chew that in her class, so we laid the Hubba Bubba package in the indentation on the desk where the pencil went. 

• susu1976
    Options

How cool is that??  No wonder she was well liked!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,822
    Options

I remember Weekly Readers!  Loved them!  I still pick up Yardley's lavender soap once in while. 

Cousins, Indentical cousins all the way. . . I can't remember any more of that theme song. And The Parent Trap? 

• elimar
    Options

I had to look up the song, cause I only remembered to last three lines...

Meet Cathy who's lived most everywhere,
    from Zanzibar to Berkeley Square
    But Patty's only seen the sights a girl can see from Brooklyn Heights— what a crazy pair!
    But they're cousins, identical cousins all the way;
    one pair of matching bookends, different as night and day.
    Where Cathy adores a minuet
    the Ballets Russes, and  crepes Suzette;
    our Patty loves to rock'n'roll, a hot dog makes her lose control — what a wild duet!
    Still they're cousins, identical cousins and you'll find
    they laugh alike, they walk alike, at times they even talk alike.
    You can lose your mind ... when cousins are two of a kind!
  • Meece
    Options

How about The Red Skelton Show?  I remember getting to stay up past my bedtime the night before I had my tonsils out, and my Dad was watching that show.

I also remember walking home from kidergarten and eating lunch with my Mom and we watched The Art Linkletter Show.

• Meece
    Options

Remeber Madge the manicurist?  Relax you're soaking in it.  Probably smelled better that the nail salons these days!

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    Options

How about THAT!  Surprised  

We had Madge the manicurist here too. 

Of course, ours had an Aussie accent. Wink

Sheila.

• nativemainer
    Options
    Funny how Madge had different accents in different countries. . . Laughing
  • elimar
    Options

"I'd like to teach the World to sing, in perfect harmony

I'd like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company..."

• Meece
    Options

Coke, it's the real thing!

• nativemainer
    Options

Pepsi--the taste of the New Generation!

• Meece
    Options

Be a Pepper

• elimar
    Options

"I'm a Pepper, He's a Pepper, She's a Pepper, We're a Pepper..."  Is that even proper grammer?

• Meece
    Options

Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?

10 - 2  -  4

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 764
    Options

How about the paper doll pages in the back of McCall's magazines.  I loved those!

• nativemainer
    Options

I don't remmeber the paper dolls in the McCall's magazine, but I do remember playing with paper dolls.  I used to love to play with paper dolls. 

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    Options

wasn't her name Betsey?

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499
    Options

I remember having a whole book of paper dolls.  I loved them.  How about the books of valentines that you'd pop out of the page, saving the prettiest ones for Mom and the cuties in class.  It was so cool when they came out with a Barbie that had bendable legs!

• Meece
    Options

Do they even have paper doll books anymore?

• nativemainer
    Options

I haven't seen a paperdoll book in a very long time.  Kind ot too bad--lots of fun, Probably not technical enough for today's little girls.  They'd spend all day trying to figure out where to put the batteries and trying to find the "on" button!

• Meece
    Options

My sister had a couple of paper dolls, one's name was Pat, the other Sarah.  Their clothes used static electricity to stay on the dols.  You rubbed them briskly on the dolls' shiny coated bodies.  I loved those dolls, and she rarely let me play with them.  When she did, I got Sarah, whose clothes and pose were not nearly as glamourous!

• elimar
    Options

Wow, I am wanting to remember this, but I can't quite do it.  I know I had some paper dolls.  I do remember being frustrated getting those little tabs to stay on the dolls cardboard shoulders, but I can't remember the name or look of the actual ones I had.  I remember creating some mod paper fashions of my own design for them.  I might have had a theme Paper Doll set of 101 Dalmations, or else that was a Colorform Set.

• Meece
    Options

I had a Little Orphan Annie Colorform set, Whoopee!