Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    Options

desdemona, My oldest sister lives in Stockton, too! She leads one of ACS's breast cancer support groups there.

Our Christmas stocking consisted of a tangerine in the toe, unshelled Brazil nuts, Charms candy, other various candy and socks. My parents still have our four matching stockings and refuse to give them up!

What were your favorite gifts as a child? I loved the two boxes of doll clothes my mom made for my two favorite dolls. She even made slips, underwear, jammies and coats with matching hats. I remember the year I got my Super Max hand held hair dryer and make-up mirror. I still have the make up mirror, and it works! One year I got my beloved 8 track player/stereo! Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Jim Croce, The Ohio Players and Simon and Garfunkel....what music!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

My Easybake oven.  I still have it.  Had hopes that I would have girls to bake with.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

We must be so middle-aged that we forgot to have a memory for a few days.  Well, here's what I got one Christmas...I'll give you a nickel if you remember her name.

Repro of original Charmin Sailor suit $50 Pictures, Images and Photos

• Meece
    Options

Could that be, no, yes it is.....Charmin Chatty!!!

• Meece
    Options

drowsey

Here was the first doll I remember getting.  What's her name, Elimar?

• elimar
    Options

Here's a dime, keep the change.  Yes, she had those records that slipped into her ribcage and a pullstring.  She was more "precocious" than Chatty Cathy (oh yes, I had her too.) 

• elimar
    Options
    I don't know the name...it it a sleepy doll?  She doesn't have a smirky enough face to be Betsy Wetsy!  You better just tell me cause I don't have a clue.
  • Meece
    Options

Her name was Drowsey.  Pull cord on her left side and she had about 8 things she'd say.  I still have mine somewhere in storage, but she was well loved, and hardly loks like this one.   I rememebr she'd say "I wanna another drink of water!" "I go sleep now, nite nite."

She had a soft cloth body.  You could not change her clothes, and you should not try to wash her hair using prell shampoo.  Left it a bit green and really frizzy.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    Options

Meece and Elimar

I bought my dtr (she is 39 now, yikes!) a Drowsey Doll when she was little. I also bought one for her dtr, who is now 9. 

I hated it when the "record" inside croaked and her language would be indistinguishable. Seems all of the Drowsey's started whining in a foreign language? Sue

• Meece
    Options

My Drowsy had diffreent printed jammies.  But she did whine in a different language.  If I ever come across her again, I'll post her picture.  But, remember, she was well loved.

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    Options

Meece......loved beyond recognition? How will we know............

Pat Undecided

• Meece
    Options

What haid she has left is not as blonde, kind of crinkly.  She has an ink men mark on her face, and her jammies are pale pink with blue animals on them.

• hmm
    Options

Okay............... will be on the lookout ................hmmm..............

Pat

• Meece
    Options

She might frighten a young child now.

•   Did anyone have a Toodles doll?  She was the size of a 6 month old baby and I thought she looked very real, but of course she didn't.  She had a tiny little hole between her little pursed lips and a little hole on her butt so she wet like a real baby.  I would sit on the front porch and rock her and thought the neighbors who walked by would think I was rocking a real baby. I do still have her in the basement, but alas sold my Howdy Doody and Barbies to a collector many years ago when I was going through a greedy phase and wanted $$$$s.  I do have an old etch-a-sketch and an electornic game that was my mother's that runs with a battery and buzzes when you answer a question right. 

• hmm
    Options

Meece--- pretty bad .....huh?

Pat

• Meece
    Options

My father, who will be 80 soon had and "electronic" football game when he was a boy.  My brother has it now.

It had paper with dots and lines kind of like you see a coach drawing on the board in the locker room.  Each play chose a paper "play" and you laid them on top of a box with a light bulb in it with a field grid on a glass plate.  You could see through both papers, and where the lines intersected, is where the play stopped.  Pretty advanced for the 30s!

• elimar
    Options

Remember Buster Briown shoes?  I know the name came from a children's book...

BUSTER BROWN TIGE JOLLY TIMES 1906 Pictures, Images and Photos

I liked the dog, but seriously, what kind of name is TIGE for a dog?
  • elimar
    Options

Cracker Jack's has a dog too.  What was his name?

• Meece
    Options

I don't know if it was a Buster Brown thing, but I rememebr going to the shoe store and getting some Buster Browns and they gave us either a plastic rooster or golden egg piggy bank that opened up and had a mint, a butterscotch, and a toy in it.

• Meece
    Options

Sailor Jack and his dog Bingo

• elimar
    Options

B-I-N-G-O, and Bingo was his name-o.

• elimar
    Options

O.K. last one...mascot of RCA-Victor for so many years...You would think his name is Victor, right?  Nope, it's Nipper. 

nipper Pictures, Images and Photos

• Meece
    Options

I am sure that doesn't have to be the last one, does it?  I am sure you can think of more.

• elimar
    Options

Giving someone else a chance.  I don't know, once I remembered Tige, I remembered the other two mascots.  :-)

• Meece
    Options

Tige's picture reminds me of a pit bull.

• elimar
    Options

Hmmm, I guess it's just me and you Meece.  Well, I.m pretty sure I posted about this pooch before.  Can't remember if it was on here, or another before this thread got started BUT I know I didn't put up a picture.  It was the dopeyest looking dog ever, but he had a nice deep baritone...

N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestles makes the very best Chooooc-laaate.   ~~Farfel

• Meece
    Options

I remember that one!!  My DH can't believe all the bits of trivia I have stored up in my head.  Too bad inmportant things don't stay there ready to be recalled.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,819
    Options

N-E-S-T-L-E-S   Nestle's makes the very best chocolate alright!  I used to love that stuff! 

• Meece
    Options

Isn't it amazing the simplicity of advertisements back then?

The ones I hate right now are where the camera angle cuts faces in half and never shows the full face or person.