Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Sign the Petition Against the new Mammography Guidelines

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited September 2011
    Options

Everyone says so much about Komen.IMO all they do is give mammos.sooooo why dont all of you who are havin a hard time with these damn ins.cos go to Komen??????

ITS SUPPOSED TO BE FREE

THATS ALL THEY GIVE US ANYWAY

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD TRY IT AND LET US ALL KNOW.

ME IN PARTICULAR BECAUSE I THINK KOMEN SUKS.

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited October 2011
    Options

Way back when I was in college, I got into a program with Rutgers University and Planned Parenthood.  I was 21.  The effort was to encourange PAP smears and regular visits to to the oby-gyn.  It also included a mamogram.  Turns out, the mamo was clear but the PAP was abnormal.  I was freeze-treated for the spot and followed up until I got normal PAP tests.  We did not do a mamo again.  The results of the study proved that early detection of cervical abnormalidies resulted in successful erradicaiton.  I have kept track and only had one abnormal PAP smear since 21 and further testing showed nothing.  The reason I only had 2 years of Tamoxifin instead of 5 - I was a risk factor. 

Having the mamograph at 21, I thought there would be regularly time intervals for them as well but the study was only looking at PAP tests.  I did not have another mamogram until I was 42 and it was due to finding a lump.  The mamo was confirmation that there was a lump.  The recommendations at the time for scheduled mamo's was age 50.  If it had been 40, it would have been found 2 years earlier. 

It would have been nice - but I am 57 now and going through chemo for an oddity.  I hope to get through this!

Mammography Guidelines should NOT keep changing - it is so confusing - set them and stick to them - personally, a baseline at 21and every 10 years would be my thought as it would have impacted my life at the right moments.  Keep doing self exams and totally learn to know your body.

Just my opinion - they should just be consistant so everyone knows exactly when to go - every 10 years after age 21.  So many young women are getting diagnosed at younger ages - the whole plan needs rethinking and the insurance companies have to use everything they have to keep us safe.  Mamo's are not the only early detection option but darn if I can remember the other one.  Ah, chemo brain...LOL.

Hugs all

LowRider 

• halah
    halah Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2011
    Options

My name is Mindy Ogg and I am 51 years old. I was dx on 7/21/10 at the age of 50 with IDC. It was found when I had a "followup" screening mammo.

BACKGROUND: The previous November of 2009 my routine screening mammo found an abnormal density the size of a pea. In December of 2009 I had a diagnostic mammo and an ultrasound, then a stereotactic biopsy which found the tissue benign. It would be 6 months later that I would get the followup mammo that would find my cancer.

When I was 35, a physician recommended to me to get a mammo, but didn't see the need so I did not. I started having mammos since my early 40's. I had no idea the "new standard" is 40. I thought it already was. 

My aunt on my mom's side died a number of years ago of BC which metastasized to her bones and brain. She had been treated for arthritis as a 5+ year survivor before determining that it was a recurrence. 

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2011
    Options

They won't give mammos to young women, as the breast tissue is too dense to see anything!

Rock and a hard place...

I am now fighting for a denied MRI (even tho 7 years of mammos did not find my 1.5 cm bc) and the MRI did.

Our young girls need a covered MRI at 21.  (and our "old" girls, too).

• cs34
    cs34 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2011
    Options

Cara S - diagnosed at 38 years old. No family history. Cancer was throughout the left breast and three lymph nodes were infected. 

Whatever "panel" of people are in control to change this guideline, perhaps they should think about their own loved ones and if they'd like to lose their wife, mother, sister or daughter to breast cancer because she was made to wait for a mammogram.  

• tarasmom
    tarasmom Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Options

My name is Margaret Fox-Jackson and my 31 year old daughter Tara Wilkerson-Umland was diagnosed when her milk came in after the birth of her stillborn baby, Kiersten. 

No family history!!! 

• Janie-bug
    Janie-bug Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2012
    Options

Janie Bartley diagnosis at age 46, My BS told me that the cancer had been there for 5-7 years, more like 7ys. it was 3-2cm, The yearly mammograms had missed it. the US missed it. The MRI missed it 2 yrs before but picked it up this time. 3.2cm is pretty large in my mind to be missed so many times

• ScienceGirl
    ScienceGirl Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2012
    Options

Kim O'Neill

diagnosis age 44 by regular yearly screening mammography 

bilateral tumors - neither palpable 

• Stephearnest1
    Stephearnest1 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Options

At the age of 36, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I found the lumps myself. There are multiple in the right breast and possibly one in the left. I have to have a double mastectomy and most likely chemo. Had I been diagnosed 4-5 years ago with a routine mammogram, perhaps I would have needed just a lumpectomy.