Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Options

Comments

• rebetata
    rebetata Member Posts: 213
    Options

Deborah,

I responded in a pm. I just wanted to say again THANK YOU !WinkLaughingSmile

I really am so happy to have found this website and someone like you who is so knowledgeable and willing to help out all the fellow sisters.

Rebecca

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Options

Oops...Lilah, thanks for catching that one...

ferretmom:  Sorry....I mean your implant!  I need to know the details regarding your implant - mfr, style, volume. 

• ferretmom
    ferretmom Member Posts: 14
    Options

No Allerderm used, just my remaining skin (no nipple).

My implant is Mentor gel, round moderate profile plus 350.

Goal was to match my L breast (size B cup).

Thought I was being most reasonable, no need/desire for anything bigger.

Deborah, I can send photos tomorrow, any particular views?

Thanks to all

• whippetmom
    Options

ferretmom:  One frontal and then side views - one implant and one natural - would be excellent.  Also, what is your height, weight, circumference around your ribcage measuring just under the bra/inframammary fold?

• waldo
    waldo Member Posts: 145
    Options
    Deborah,

Thank ou for all your help! You have helped me enormously and you are a tremendous asset to everyone here especially during this really difficult time in our lives. I have to say, you are making the process a lot easier by providing the information we need to make decisions and by how you are showing us where we can take some control.  A huge thank you!!!

Karyn

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    Options

(((( ministry))))

( just repeating myself Deborah... just reminding you... it is true....)

xxxooo

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

LOL Laura you are so adorable.

• whippetmom
    Options

Thank you waldo!  And dear Laura.....thank you for the reminder....as there are days when I feel I am not doing ENOUGH! 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    Options

Hello Whippetmom!

Well, I finally had my left side skin saving mastectomy--my oncoplastic surgeon was amazing and he said I should have little to no scarring.  The plastic surgeon listened to my request for a more natural looking implant:  He put in an Allergan Natural 133 MV-13 expander and he says we should be expanded to full size (over expansion is his goal) in two to three months and that the exchange implant will be smaller then the expansion size.  I wrote to you prior to my surgery--I am 6' tall, weigh 156 lbs have a 38" band and I want to get to a C cup.  I looked it up on your link and it looks as if this expander can go to 400 cc per side.  Prior to getting BC I had a B-C cup on my left and barely a full A on my right so I asked to even it up to a C on both breasts.  So far he has expanded me only 100 cc's and it looks like my right breast in width but like when I am wearing a push up bra, and it's also much flatter when I lean over--of course he only just started filling it.  He plans to remove my drains and start filling 50-100 ccs at a time in about 2 weeks.

I read on Allergan's site that this is an aggressive expander.  I would love your thoughts/input on this.

Thank you!

MBJ 

• whippetmom
    Options

MBJ:  I am trusting that your PS used a tissue expander which is wide enough to match your natural breast.  I think you need an implant significantly greater than the volume of your TE - or around 550 ccs to 600 ccs.  But we will need to see how things look about half way through the expansion process.  Send me photos when you have 300 ccs and let's see how you are progressing.

This particular style of tissue expander - the moderate height, variable projection -  is one of the most commonly used styles. All is well here.

• MBJ
    Options

Thank you for responding so fast.  It looks as if they followed the line of my former breast and he did a really good job of matching the original size as far as width goes.  I have the Alloderm sling and the teardrop shaped expander only goes to 400 ccs.  I was told he wouldn't know until we fill it how big I will be able to go. 

Also, I understand tht this is an aggressive type of expander and from the time line he gave, it seems like he thinks we should be finished in 3 months.  Is that common?

Where/how do I post pictures on here?

• whippetmom
    Options

MBJ:  There is a pictures forum where you can go to see photos of others and/or post your own photos.  But you will need to contact Timtam, who is the photo site administrator.  Some women email me their photos....if they are not ready to share with the community at large.  I'll PM you my email address.

I just checked something you posted previously here on the sizing thread, and at that time you said your ribcage is 34 inches.  So is your ribcage 34 or 38?  That makes a difference to me in sizing - which is also why I was a bit concerned about the width of your TE. 

Deborah

• whippetmom
    Options

Contact Timtam to gain entrance to the pictures forum:

http://community.breastcancer.org/member/11047/profile

• MBJ
    Options

rib cage is 38"

• whippetmom
    Options

MBJ:  Why don't you email me photos when you have a chance...

• MBJ
    Options

I will send my pictures to you as soon as I can figure out where I put my download cord--I may have to purchase a new one.  Chemo brainFoot in mouth

By the way--you often recommend going larger with the implant and I am not very good about searching posts on this site.  Why is it that you think it's better to go bigger rather then smaller?  Is this because of the settling that happens after a few months?

Thanks again for your generosity and help!  This is such a huge decision.

• whippetmom
    Options

MBJ:  Well, it is not so much that I advocate "going larger" with implants.  I just feel that it is difficult to match the volume and appearance of the tissue expander to the future implant without actually looking at the dimensions of the TE in comparison to the implant dimensions.  In most instances, this suggests that an implant larger than the TE is required in order to achieve a similar appearance one is achieving with the TE.  We will need to wait until you are fully expanded to get an idea of what will be required to get you to the volume and size you hope to achieve with reconstruction.

• Estepp
    Options

You are doing enough just being here and trying to help... and you do help... so many!

• whippetmom
    Options

{{{{{{{{Laura}}}}}}}}}

[This is a hug with good projection!]

• whippetmom
    Options

During my research today, I came across this article.  I do not know how this would aid women undergoing breast "reconstruction" in sizing out the implants, but I certainly will pursue it further.  I ordered a kit today and I will report back and let you know if it would be of any benefit to us in determining implant size or volume.  I have my doubts....

Natrelle Offers Breast Implant Trials

Posted by Cosmetic Surgery Review on May 13, 2009

natrelleDeciding to get breast implants can take time, and may involve several consultations with different doctors to make sure you are comfortable with the procedure, and know what to expect.

One of the most common challenges women experience when choosing breast implants is selecting the right size; most women choose at least a cup size or above for breast enhancement, but a  computer-generated image of the expected results may not be realistic. Allergan, the company that makes Botox and other cosmetic surgery treatments, has recently introduced a pre-consultation breast augmentation kit that lets women ‘try' breast implants before they even go to the doctor's office.

The Natrelle Pre-Consultation Kit is designed to educate patients about breast implants, and includes a sizing bra, and a set of implants that they can wear under their clothes so they know exactly what they will look like with bigger breasts. The Natrelle kit also contains educational DVDs that explain how to use the sizing guide and special bra that comes with the kit, and provides some basic information on what to expect from the implant procedure.

In a recent press release, Dr. Elizabeth Kinsley, a plastic surgeon from Covington, Louisiana, states that the Natrelle Pre-Consultation Kit is a valuable tool for the public.  "The Natrelle® Pre-Consultation Kit is simply a tool to prepare women for the consultation and the surgery itself, providing reassurance and answering many of the questions they may have," says Dr. Kinsley.

Each kit contains sample implants and a profile bra, and educational videos so that the prospective patient can try different breast sizes from the comfort of their own home.

The Natrelle Breast Implant Kit is now available from Natrelle.com for $39.95, plus $5 shipping and handling.  Buyers of the kit can also get over $170 in rebates for Natrelle and other products made by Allergan, including Juvederm, Botox and Latisse.

• Estepp
    Options

I am glad you are looking into this. I bet is does not factor in mastectomy patients.

BTW... are you going to use ALL the rebates that accompany your Kit?? If not......Embarassed  you have my mailing address.........

• Estepp
    Options

HEHEHEHE

• MBJ
    Options

Whippetmom--you are the BEST!

• whippetmom
    Options

Laura:  You are hilarious!!!!

I was JUST this morning, driving down the freeway, on my way to the dentist, and contemplating how I might spend those "certificates."  I wondered what my lips would look like with Botox.  I was puckering my lips and looking at myself in the rear-view mirror.  The jury is out on that one...

I will bring my "kit" with me to Vegas, for any gals who have not yet gone through reconstruction to try out!

MBJ:  Cool....thank you....

• FACECRAFTER
    FACECRAFTER Member Posts: 433
    Options

Deborah, you are so funny!!  Lips dont get Botox--they get restylane or perlane or juvaderm...overall I think they look awful with restylane in them.  I have seen the work of many PS and overall, they're awful!!  Botox for wrinkles around the eyes, forehead, is great!! Juvederm and restylane for the lines that look like a puppet is doing your mouth!  Thats great too.

BTW,  I've seen the KIT and it is really meant for people who have augmentations, to try out with their bras on.  It would probably work for us, up to a point. It doesn't go past a certain number - I forget what, but there is no way I could have tried out a 600 or so  I think. 

Judy

• Estepp
    Options

I was going to tell her that Judy.. about the botox NOT going into the lips... lol

WELL.. it seems.. our Deb is el natural.. natural beauty.. as she is not sure WHERE the botox goes...hehehehe...

Actually.. I want the filler that fills in the smile lines... I don't really have wrinkles yet.. but I think I am gettin' smile lines..bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OK OK.... I will stop hogging this thread........

BACK TO 101 and learning......

Laura...... over and out...

• sharkness
    sharkness Member Posts: 2
    Options

I had a double masc. with immediate recon. on april 6th wtih te obviously.

I need help with ideas and advice on how to deal with this pain!!! April 22, Thursday I had my first fill, with one of the three tubes removed.  I  was filled a total of 60 cc on each side.

Today April 27, Tuesday she filled me 120 cc on each side and i am in PAIN!! the other two drains should be ready to be pulled out on Thursday April 29th. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

they are rushing because of radiation.  

• Estepp
    Options

SHARK...

They need to get you filled 100% before rads... if they continue to fill after rads... your skin is more"challenged" from what I have been told.

I was filled to 420cc's in 6-7 weeks.. then did 30 something rads...

I did this with minimal pain.. but I took Demerol every 6 hours for 5 weeks. Do you have to work? I did not... so tis was doable for me. I was in your place a year ago... PM me if you want to really talk about this.. I will share all I can  with you....Laura

• whippetmom
    Options

Oh you guys!  Botox isn't just for breakfast anymore!!!! 

http://cosmeticsurgerytoday.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/plastic-surgeon-injects-botox-in-lips-to-prevent-fish-lips-phenomenon/

Hey....do I know my Botox, or what?  You see, I was offered a job by Allergan twenty years ago -to work with a new product they called Botox.  It was developed and originally marketed to address ocular conditions such as strabismus or blepharospasm....and they thought pehaps spastic conditions such as spastic torticollis....Who knew where it would go!!

I wanted to take the job....but I had another offer which I took instead - and that was to marry my husband and move to San Fernando Valley - too far to commute.  I have an extremely high regard for Allergan as a company....

So now you know.....the rest of the story!

• whippetmom
    Options

I just want to fight the dreaded FISH LIPS phenomenon I see occuring!!!!  Notice the downturned corners on these fish lips....