Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• mnmbeck
    mnmbeck Member Posts: 156

So funny that you asked about "sitting up" in the O.R.  I had questions about this before surgery.  When my PS and I were talking about sizes and he was telling me how they 'try them on' in the O.R., I told him that I was concerned because they look different laying down than they do sitting up.  That is when he explained that they sit you up!!!  That is CRAZY!  When I was in the O.R. today, I know they secured my arms very well to the armboard, and of course the strap around the thighs.  So, they must  strap you down better after you fall asleep.  All I can picture is trying to hold up a floppy rag doll....what a crazy picture that is!!!

• raelan
    raelan Member Posts: 84

When it's time for my exchange I think I'm going to make numbered cards for everyone in the OR and they'll each have to hold their "score" up and show one another what they think of each implant sample.....kind of like "Dancing with the Stars".  Highest total score wins!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Raelan - I wish I would have thought of that, but I did bring them all cookies!  Happy  So maybe you could bring treats as well and that way they'd be a bit more critical with the rating system in your favor?!?!  Winking

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Blessings....great summation of how this all flows! ThumbsUp

Raelan and AZ, you guys crack me up!  Everyone should bring treats and bribe the OR staff.

• whippetmom

Mommyathome:  If you are happy with your size now, negotiate for implants with a volume of 650 ccs as the starting point.  Keep us posted on how things go.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

wish I would have thought of that too! I only brought a Thank You card with a letter telling my PS how much I appreciated all she was doing for me (and my self esteem) to give to her when she marked me up prior to exchange surgery.

Also, gave each of my drs (BS, PS, MO) this rubber duck with a big D on its chest, for Super Doc (not super duck). Got a laugh from all (after, the No, I don't think you're a quack). Then found an assortment of rubber ducks for all the nurses. It was something different.

• AZ85048

whippetmom -  No lie!  Here's the post I made over on Exchange City a day or so ago:

I was so excited to be getting rid of those TEs!  I had my exchange the day after Christmas, so to celebrate I made a ton of Christmas cookies (iced and decorated by hand even) and took them for everyone in the OR.  Suffice to say that I was a very popular patient that day...  I think they may have all been under the influence of a huge sugar rush but I didn't care!  It was a like a big party and I didn't have to clean up afterward!  Winking

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

You girls are GREAT!! 

My first exchange was on Valentine's Day. I made this card and had it in my hand when they wheeled me back for surgery. I THINK the nurses who prepped me put it on my TEs before my PS came in. He got a good laugh out of it and his staff back at the office thought the story was hilarious.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876

I was thinking of getting my ps and bs one of those pink elephant necklaces from Kohls. All proceeds go to Susan g komen. They are cute little necklaces and I thought the proceeds go to what these women deal w daily. I like the "treat" idea too! Maybe I'll pick up a batch of cookies also. 

• whippetmom

Such great ideas girls!  I love the cookies and Dulcigirl's pink heart!  

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

I've just been thinking lately that I never did get those thank you notes off to my BS and PS that I intended to.  These recent posts are like a kick in the a** for me to get that taken care of.  Thank you so much for the reminder 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

Mommy - you'll never know everything unless you go to med school & then specialize in surgery & after that in Plastic surgery.  I think both Blessings & Whippetmom have done a wonderful job of fielding your questions.  Also sounds like your PS is intelligent and giving you reasonable advice.  Now you just need to be prepared that what you look like post-surgery will NOT be what you look like 6 months down the road.  

Quit worrying and turn your thoughts to the coming of spring & realize you've educated yourself really well if you read these 345 pages.  That's what I did before my surgery - and yes it took awhile but I'm sure glad I did.  Go play with a puppy or a baby or go to a museum or a show or anything else that interests you that will distract you from this endless recycling.  We've all been there & are holding you in our thoughts.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Dulcigirl - Happy  Love!  So fun!

• Mommyathome

Minustwo,

I have appreciated any and all feedback I have received from this sight! I am sorry if I ask too many questions or look for clarification. Some of us have a more difficult time dealing w all the changes and inconveniences this diagnosed has forced us to deal with. My understanding was this was a safe and open place to look for guidance and support. Disappointed to see it may not be

• whippetmom

Mommyathome: Yes, this IS a place where you can come for reassurance and support.  I am sure MnusTwo is in agreement.   I know that MinusTwo is going through some trials right now with radiation treatment and she is two years ahead of you newbies with reconstruction.  I know she will clear this up. 

On another note, when is your exchange surgery?  Please let me know.

Deborah

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Hi whippetmom,

I, too, am one that likes to ask lots of questions - and I appreciate having this thread to go to for your expertise. Reconstruction should be the most exciting and gratifying piece of this whole cancer journey thing, but it's actually the most daunting in my opinion. 

So....here's my question for you - will I notice a significant difference when going from saline TE's to silicone implants as far as the weight? I feel okay with the size right now, but I also feel that my TE's are already too saggy and I don't want to add more weight. I asked my PS if they could be higher, but he said he would do fat grafting to fill in the flatness and indentations above and that would make it "feel" like they're higher, so I guess the answer to that question is no. But I'm wondering if I should have some of the saline taken out and just have him add to the top with FG to they don't end up too droopy? I posted more pics on the picture forum (under boobyprize) if you want to take a look.

IDK, maybe I am overthinking this. I realize they try to fix everything during the exchange and make them as nice as possible, but just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you....

Thank you! :-)

• whippetmom

bc101: I do not know about the weight of your TEs at their current fill level vs the weight of 700 cc or 750 cc implants, but the implants will certainly feel much lighter and more comfortable.  

• whippetmom

bc101... You are just going to need to wear supportive bras after the exchange...even now you could be wearing one.  

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Ok, sounds good. I wear a sports bra 24/7... only take it off for showers :)

• Mommyathome

Whippettmom,

Thanks for your comment. I have not discussed when my exchange will take place w my ps yet. I need 3 more fills (if I continue w 50cc at each fill) to make each breast 600cc. I was hoping, but not sure if it's feasible due to the exchange the end of June. I am thinking of taking the rest of the school year off to focus on getting stronger both physically and emotionally. 

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Mommyathome - I was fortunate to find BCO shortly after I was diagnosed. I had SO many questions!

I felt helpless that I couldn't control my BC dx.... so the next best thing I thought I could do was be as informed as I could be. My motto has always been "Knowledge is power."

Sometimes I didn't get the information I expected, but it sure helped me to know that others were experiencing the same roller coaster of emotions that I was.

The benefit of asking questions is that you have no idea how many others you may be helping who had the same question but didn't feel comfortable asking. So continue to ask away!

And if I might speak (uninvited, I might add) for MinusTwo, I do agree with the idea that we can be stuffed to the gills with stats and details and information, but that still may not relieve the stress of the unknown about what will be happening to us. At some point we just have to let go and trust. Believe me, you are doing everything you can to be the most informed patient!

And as a (ahem!) Veteran here, I am always suggesting that newbies find something they love to do, and do it. Distraction is sooo valuable once we have done all we can.

Wishing you all the best.

• Mommyathome

Blessings,

Thank you. I know people are going through different things and handle things differently, surgeons choose different ways of handling diagnosises etc. I have really good support through my family and my husband but no matter how many hugs and "you can do it"s being said they just haven't been through what I'm going through. They can emphasize, but to really feel it- no. That's y I turned to bco. I have received a lot of support through this site and I am grateful for all the people, including u that has listened to me and responded. 

I just want, need to be as informed as I possibly can. That comforts me. I feel like I have some control in this absolutely terrifying time in my life. 

• mnmbeck
    mnmbeck Member Posts: 156

Mommyathome....I agree with you completely.  Everyone gets tired of hearing about the daily stuff.  But, everyone here understands and has SO much knowledge!  Especially, people who are miles ahead of wherever I happen to be during surgery.  It is so nice to hear from someone who has been there,  and has so much incredible advice.  I felt that, because of bco, I had good, educated conversations with my PS.  And, I appreciated that so much.  I can't say enough how much I appreciate all of the women on this site!

• Mommyathome

Mnmbeck,

I agree. Without this site, I would've been sitting in the meetings w the bs and ps with no clue about what they were talking about and I would've been MORE freaked out!! I understand I can't CONTrOL everything that I'm going through, but I definitely want to UNDERSTAND it and be INFORMED of my options!!! 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

Mommy, when I first came to BCO, several women told me to step away from Google because it would just scare me. That might have been fine for them, but that's not how I deal with things. I have to know as much as I can. I want to know what can go wrong and how it can be fixed or better yet, avoided. Instead of scaring me, I get strength from knowledge. What I CAN'T deal with is the unknown. So, as the old song from my youth said, "Different strokes for different folks." Do what YOU need to do. But do it smartly. Don't just read every article Google pulls up. LOTS (and LOTS) of that info is old and outdated. Even articles from a year ago can be outdated. In my opinion, find a few reputable websites from well known organizations or hospitals. I researched on the MD Anderson site, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, and Johns Hopkins. I kept a notebook full of things I'd read and put a big question mark in the margin for things I wanted to discuss with my doctor or find out more about. I put dividers in my notebook for sections on diagnosis, treatment, anesthesia, surgery, recovery, lymphedema, reconstruction, and post mastectomy pain syndrome. I printed out articles and wrote out lists of questions for my doctors.

My doctors all seemed to be impressed with my organization and intelligent questions. Not one of them acted as if I was a nutcase or taking up too much time with three or four questions at each appointment. This is how I MUST deal with situations. I'm an accountant so everything has to be organized and well thought out. There has to be an answer to my questions before I can feel at peace before each surgery. Other people would rather let their doctors tell them what to do and feel embarrassed to ask questions or express their concerns. I understand and they will never get an argument from me. You gotta do what you gotta do. Some people get frightened when they have "too much information" although too much can mean different things to different women. For me, a surprise is a nightmare and I lose all confidence. I want the options spelled out before surgery and the things that can go wrong written down so I can sign off on them on the consent form before I go into the OR.

I could never be able to relax and do anything else or focus on something else if any breast cancer question was still unanswered. But that's just me.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

Mommy - I'm really sorry if my post offended you.  I didn't mean to do that.  Of course this is a place to ask questions - and Whippetmom & Blessings have most of the answers.  I want to know everything too, so I understand.  Blessings probably put my feelings better than I did.  Unfortunately I'm more active on BCO again because I had a recurrence & have been undergoing more treatment & surgery for a year next week.  Before my exchange in 2011 - as i read this entire thread & some others - I made lists of my questions and took notes & found many of them had been answered before.  Questions that were left I asked on BCO &/or I took to my PS.  But eventually I found I was focusing on the cancer 24/7.  Someone else gave me the good advice to go have lunch with a friend & talk about something else, take the dog for a walk and look at the trees, join a water aerobics class, etc.  Finally what worked best for me was to tell all my friends that I didn't want to talk about "IT" unless I brought it up - since you're right none of them has a clue what we're going through.  So I was able to put away some of my fear and concentrate of the good things around me at least most of every day (at least between doctor appointments).  It relieved some of my mental stress so I wanted to share something that worked for me.  As before - we're all keeping you in our thoughts. Do keep us posted on your schedule.

• BCnotforme
    BCnotforme Member Posts: 25

welcome, smaccyl. I'm new too, and know what it feels like! Congrats for getting this far and so glad you have reached out to whippetmom. She has helped me A LOT. I was given teardrops (shaped) implants and they looked awful. PS agreed. Then I got an infection, lost one and now have an expander back on one side and the terrible teardrop on the other. Whippetmom suggested allergan rounds style 20 , and I'm asking my PS exactly what's he's planning on, and also going to get a 2nd opinion. Hang in there. I'd love to know what style you are going with. 

• AZ85048

grahaad1, Smaccyl,
    and BCnotforme - Welcome to whippetmom's thread, which, as you can see, is very active - and weekends around here are s l o w!  Just thought I'd say hi and welcome to all three of you!  Winking

• whippetmom

Where is a red heart emoticon when I need one! You gals are the best!!!

• Salina888
    Salina888 Member Posts: 35

I was wondering if anyone has a dent on the side of their breast after having mastectomy/reconstruction?  After my mastectomy I noticed the side of my right breast (against the side ribcage) has a deep dent, almost like a belly button/ big dimple.  When I feel it, it feels like the suture is so tight that it pulls my skin in.  PS said he will fix it during my exchange, but I had my exchange on Jan. 30 and he said he tried to loosen it, and even added some fat grafting, but said, he couldn't do anything at that moment because it can give me an infection.  He told me in a couple of months he can do a small incision and cut something to make it loose, and it will pop back out?  The other side of my breast came out fine.