Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

whippetmom, I sent the pics.  Thanks again. Who knew I'd be back here again! 

What do you think of something with high profile? I have mid range now. 

• tessy
    tessy Member Posts: 38

I wish I had found this site before I had my reconstruction surgery in January of this year. It has been 7 months since my exchange on the right side and lift on the left. My implant has yet to drop and fluff and I am wondering if it ever will because I also had radiation last year. My PS wants to do some fat grafting also but I have put that off for a while because I just wanted to enjoy my summer with out having any procedures. I was doing radiation last year during the summer, no fun and could not even go out of town. I have a 750 cc Mentor smooth round moderate plus profile gel implant. It seems to sit too high and not have enough coverage at the bottom, which I am assumng will change when it drops. I am not happy with the results at this point and time. I really don't want to have to under go another surgery either.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

Hi Whippetmom - I am quite a ways from my exchange surgery, but I am getting my fills and want to make sure I get the right amount for what I want. 

I had 32B breasts before I got implants in 10 years ago. The PS at the time made them too big for me, I am currently a 34D and really would rather be a C given my size.  5'4" 130lbs. I had an mx so I still have one breast and have told my PS I want to go smaller - to a C cup. My TE is currently at 700CC's and they told me my other breast is most likely around 750CC's between my breast tissue and implant. 

I will also have radiation, so they told me I have to 200cc's above what I want to make adjustments for rads and the surgery. I'm trying to figure out how much more I need. I will measure my ribcage but do you need the type of TE as well?  I will retype (or copy and paste ) this again when I get the info you need.  

Thank you

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Smaarty:  You need Allergan Style 20, at least 700 ccs and preferably 750 ccs.  Your pockets are fully able to accommodate either size of implant.  You also could consider Sientra smooth silicone rounds, (655 ccs, HP implant) which are designed to give upper pole fullness, and act somewhat like getting a "lift" of sorts.  Not as much projection though...which is the tradeoff....

Discuss Sientra and Allergan HPs with your PS...

Keep me posted!

Deborah

PS:  NO MORE TEXTURED IMPLANTS!!!

• whippetmom

Tessy:  I honestly feel that fat graft transfer - lipofilling - will be your best solution at this point.  The FGT will allow the skin to soften up and relax, and the rich stem cells transferred with the fat, will regenerate the irradiated skin and help the breast look more natural.  You likely will not get much drop, if any, without FGT.  And you might well need two sessions.  It is the least invasive procedure, because no incision needs to be made on the breast....no pocket needs to be disrupted.  I have had it done twice and my implants are as soft as were my natural breasts.  Keep me posted!

Deborah

• whippetmom

Homemom:  Yes,  I need to know what style and volume of TE you have!  Call your doctor's office for that info!  Mentor or Allergan or other, and the style....if Allergan, two letters followed by two numbers, i.e. MV-14, or two letters followed by the volume, I.e. MV-400.  If Mentor, low height, moderate height or full height...and volume.

Deborah

• tessy

Thank you for your suggestions.  This site is awesome!  What can be done to the left side where I had the lift? The upper part of my breast (pole? Im learning the lingo) has the natural droop and does not match the implant side. Can I get a small implant on the lift side or fat grafts?

• lalli
    lalli Member Posts: 21

Hi Deborah,

You gave me advice a couple of weeks ago but I need to ask again with an update...I currently have in 550 fx expanders that are filled to 400. I am 5'10 and 145 with a 33" chest. The problem I'm having is my expanders are very wide and flat so its hard to imagine them in breast shape. They sit on my chest like thick pancakes, with very little projection. I want to wind up in  the B/C range and I'm thinking 400 is enough but I definitely want implants that are not as wide with more projection but still fairly natural looking. Any thoughts on what a good sized implant would be? Thanks so much for your input.

• whippetmom

Tessy:  Yes, a small implant on the left might give you the upper pole fullness you want.  I would advise a Sientra implant, as they are known for their upper pole fulness.  However, this may create assymetry in volume - with the left appearing larger than the right.  I would honestly address the right side with FGT  - likely two times will be the magic number - and see how much that right side drops, before augmenting the left.  

• whippetmom

lalli:  Your TEs are not too wide for your ribcage.  The problem is that they are probably displaced laterally, towards the armpits, and at the time of the exchange, the implants should be placed more medially in the pockets.  Additionally, if lateral capsulorrhaphys are necessary to secure the lateral pockets, then this must be done.  Often this happens with TEs....but also...the pockets can sometimes be overdissected laterally and this is the direction the TEs and/or implants want to migrate, if the pockets are not eventually secured.  I feel that you need Allergan Style 20, 500 ccs minimally.  You probably have sufficient fill to get you there right now.  But do not worry about the width of the TEs.  My implants are 13.5 cm in width and yours are 13.0 cm...and my ribcage is 29.5 inches.  So you can accomodate a wider implant than me.  It is the placement currently that is the issue.  

Deborah

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Raelan: do you go by the same name in the picture forum? I have not been on in a few weeks but would like to read your posts as I am meeting with a surgeon to discuss FG.  Thank you!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Dogsneverlie - Yes, Raelan is under the same screen name on the picture forum.  I just had fat grafting for a revision a little more than a month ago - my PS and whippetmom are both big proponents of it - and now I'm a believer too!  It made all the difference for me (well, that and the skill of a really talented PS.) 

Winking 

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

I'm having my exchange and fat grafting on Thursday. I can't wait! I'll be getting the Allergan 410 "gummy bear" implants. But I'm not looking forward to being all wrapped up and in compression shorts for basically the rest of the summer. Oh well...

• cateyz2
    cateyz2 Member Posts: 253

BC101- Sending you good wishes for your surgery!!! As many have said before the exchange is a much easier surgery, and remember "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" take it easy even though you will be feeling good.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

BC101 hope all goes well, it will be over before you know and next summer will be amazing ;) 

Loopy

• lalli
    lalli Member Posts: 21

Thanks Deborah,

Is it unusual that my TEs are so flat? I continually read about expanders being so projected and mine just don't. I'm a little concerned they're not stretching out my pec enough. I had hoped to have one-step originally but my pec was too tight and my PS said I'd get better results with TEs. Any thoughts on why they're such an odd shape?

• Septmom
    Septmom Member Posts: 87

I had my final fill in my TE today. I am at 360cc. I am petite 5 ft 3inches and 107 lbs. I was a small B cup before. I was a lot of pain during my last fill 3 wks ago. I decided to give myself a break before my last fill. I am wondering if the implant size and end result will be much smaller than the way it looks now with the TE. The nurse says I will at least be a large B cup. I do have a narrow ribcage. Everyone seems to be getting a much larger volume than me..I was wondering if for my frame 350cc is enough to get a large B or small C. 

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133

Septmom, I am of the same height and weight but wore a 30AA prior to NSBMX. My PS put me in 450cc TEs and filled me to 450. I had my exchange 3 weeks ago to 425 Sientra shaped round base. I am a 30D. Do I look like a D cup, I don't think I do. I would probably preferred to be a bit smaller but by no means am I truly unhappy. If you are part of the picture forum, I have posted TE and exchange pictures. Will update at my 4 week stage. Have you given all your info and measurements to Whippetmom for more advice?

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Septmom: have you asked Whippetmom for her recommendations yet?  I don't recognize your user name (which doesn't mean I haven't seen it before - just that my short-term memory sucks Loopy!) here before.  In addition to your height and weight mentioned above she will also need your ribcage measurement (right under your TEs) and the manufacturer/model of your TEs (read through the header at the top of the page).  Whippetmom has helped countless women here select the right implant for their frame and expectations. 

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

How do you access the pictures thread? I know you have to get permission.

• tessy

Whippetmom, 

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I am meeting with my PS on Aug 11 to discuss FGT and other options.

• lulivesay
    lulivesay Member Posts: 30

There is so much good information here!  I had BMX 5/12/14 and am in the filling process.  I have the Allergen 133MV-12 TE.  I was curious to know how common is it for someone during reconstruction of both breasts to increase their original breast size by a cup size or so and could there be additional problems by doing this to your skin.  I want a good outcome, and my PE keeps telling me that I have final say in size, but I thought I should check in here with the reconstruction warriors find out the truth about increasing your cup size! I would appreciate any input and Whippetmom, your wisdom is invaluable and I would consider any advice.  Right now I am filled to 350cc's I am 5' 2" 120lbs and a 30" ribcage, I was thinking maybe a possible C cup for a final.  They sit so high and tight in the expanders it is really hard picture what they will become.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876

Lulivesay,

Your bs suggested tamoxifen even after having BMx? My bs said I didn't need tamoxifen after BMx.... So  crazy how there are so many opinions on treating bc/reoccurrence 

• honeymama
    honeymama Member Posts: 2

Hi Whippetmom,

I just had my first PS appointment this morning and she said that the gummy bear sizes do not come as large as my natural size.  I am a 38D and wanted to stay that way.  I am 5'3" about 200 lbs.  PS told me that she wouldn't be able to tell me how small I would end up being.  She didn't even really comment on saline or silicone options, other than saying she doesn't like "Becker" (I think that was the name)?  Would you know if it would be a huge sizing difference?  I understand it's hard to say one way or the other as each body composition is different.  Just looking for guidance, maybe I should speak with another PS?

Thanks! 

• lulivesay
    lulivesay Member Posts: 30

Hi Mommyathome,

Yes they put me on tamoxifen for 3 years and then I will be on a different drug for 3 more.  I think it is probably because of my staging at 1a also I had a few stray tumor cells in my sentinel node.  Not enough cells to be considered positive lymph node.  It is crazy how different treatment can be for everyone. 

You got the permanent implants?  How was that for you?  That was never offered to me.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

HoneyMama - I have Allergan 410s and was a 38DD before surgery, however my PS is involved in the Allergan trial so I was able to get larger sizes than are normally offered in the US.

Please read through the info in the header and post the rest of the
    information about rib cage measurement, etc. Are you looking at BMX or
    MX? Have you had any surgery yet? Do you have TEs in place? If so, what is that model?  WhippetMom
    will be able to more easily evaluate & respond when she get's that
    info.

• whippetmom

Lalli:  Well, the FX style TE typically always expands in the upper pole....so if you are not seeing any height to the implant, then something is going on.  Your PS presumably selected the FX style, because of your tight pectorals....and he wanted to make sure he could get an implant under the pectoral musculature.  You can always send me photos though the private message system (attaching photos via the goggles icon above) or emailing them to me.  PM me if you cannot attach photos that way and I will give you my email address.

Deborah

• whippetmom

Septmom:  Yes, I need your TE information.

• whippetmom

lulivesay:  Yes, quite a few of us are larger after reconstruction than we were prior to BMX.  You should be able to get to an Allergan Style 20, 425 ccs minimally, and hopefully, around 450 ccs.  It all depends on your skin integrity....how well your skin responds to expansion.  Another option is Sientra, a shaped oval base HP around 370 ccs.  

Deborah

• whippetmom

honeymama:  I think that you would be fine with a 800 cc HP smooth round silicone implant.  That is the size I would discuss with your PS.  Becker is a type of implant under the Mentor name, which I rarely see used anyway.  So the key would be to get a tissue expander with a width no greater than 15.0 cm, and then exchange out to the Allergan Stye 20, 800 ccs.

Deborah