Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490

I'm in Nor Cal. I see a few of you are also. My PS is Dr.  Garcia in Sacramento. Smaarty, I read that you will see the female PS - Dr. Kaplan. I had a consult with her also.  

I had  delayed lat flap with TE one month ago, with 30cc's put in at surgery.  Had radiation and also had very thin skin from aggressive mastectomy six years ago.  First fill last week of 50cc's, and second fill will be Monday.

I asked my PS what type of TE I have, and he said Mentor low profile, and I could look on the internet for Mentor.  My natural right breast will get an implant at the exchange.  I'm small, about a B cup with droop.  Rib cage is 29", I'm 5'5" and weigh about 117.  Deborah, what size do you think would look good?  Thinking maybe a C cup.  PS says when I like the volume then we stop.

Thank you! 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Mommyathome:  I don't know the odds, because we all heal differently.  You need to be very careful and not try to do to much.  Also, eat lots of good quality protein....essential for wound healing.  Find and eat foods that are naturally anti-inflammatory and drink lots of water.  Do whatever you can to start the healing from within.  

Anti-Inflammatory Foods List

Deborah

• whippetmom

nancybel:  Will you drive to Irvine?  See if you can get transferred to Gail Mattson-Gates, MD - a PS at Alton Sand Canyon in Irvine. 

Deborah

BTW:  There is another SB County gal who transferred her care to Dr. Mattson-Gates....So you CAN do it!

• whippetmom

ojoyjoy:  So very sorry!  I was linking on here from my iPad which takes me right to this page, and I failed to look at my very full message box!!!  I responded just now!

• whippetmom

kfinnigan:  What volume is your Mentor low profile TE?  There are six different sizes in that style.

Deborah

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876

Thanks Deborah!!!

• ojoyjoy
    ojoyjoy Member Posts: 44

No worries Deborah, your a busy lady....I get it. Thanks for getting back to me. I replied with a couple of more questions. Thanks for all you do to help all of this through this process. You truly are an angel. 

• whippetmom

Re OVER-FILLING OF TISSUE EXPANDERS...for those recently asking about it....

Please read #1 in the thread header.

• kfinnigan

I will ask my PS at tomorrow's appointment what volume my TE is.  Thanks!

• BigT16
    BigT16 Member Posts: 15

Whippetmom PM sent.  Any input is helpful.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

kfinnigan - as long as you're at it, ask your PS tomorrow for the ID cards or stickers with your TE info that he was supposed to provide to you after the mastectomy/TE placement surgery.  I continue to be amazed at the number of ladies here who's PSs did not provide that information to them.......booThumbsDown

• tessy
    tessy Member Posts: 38

I never got my card for the TE, but I did for the implant. Even though I no longer have the TE I still plan on asking my PS for it at my next appointment in 2 weeks. 

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Tessy, same here, I was not given any stickers or card for the TE. Even though I did ask,  never got it. :( 

• twoam
    twoam Member Posts: 122

My PS gave the plastic cards, and 2 papers with stickers on them, to my husband while I was still in recovery lol. I have to bring them with me for every fill, and he records the date and amount.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Not only did I get the card for my TEs, my PS wrote a letter on his letterhead that I had Temporary Expanders in place, just in case DH and I flew somewhere and had to go through airport security. (We didn't, but it was nice of him to do that.)

• bethq
    bethq Member Posts: 177

I got the letter too and each time I went through security I had it in my hand (above my head) but no one stopped me. Thought it was strange since they made an elderly lady get out of her wheelchair to scan her and it for 10 minutes....but not me!

• babyo20
    babyo20 Member Posts: 92

hello, I joined this forum a few weeks ago. It has been very helpful to read everyone's stories with this. I posted to a few forums but have not received much feedback. I am getting my TE information to whiippetmom today as I am so obsessed with exchange size since I need to decide how big to go in for fills today. I like the size I am now maybe a little bigger but everyone seems to say implants are smaller than TE are so want to be sure I go big enough but don't want to go to big. After reading everyone's experiences I realize I need to ask more questions too

I had a b cup but know they scrapped a lot since my cancer was deep into my chest wall. I want to be a full c as far as bra size and looking but know its hard to pinpoint exactly. Most women want o go bigger although have been reading how some want to be the same. I just want to be able to not wear a bra in summer or at times where things look better without a bra too. This is so overwhelming. My TE now is 350 cc but filled to 375 cc but of course can be much bigger but not sure what I want to do. I also know now they are more round include the sides of my arms but will look much different after too.

I have been ready a lot in exchange city but I wound love to read more post on post exchange on if people are happy with their outcome or if they would have done things differently. I wanted to go bigger since there is so much I went through but don't want to be greedy and regret it later. I think I would be more upset if they were too small than too big but I don't an to appear selfish either though.

I would love to have access to the picture gallery so I can compare similar before then after based on my size. So if you can point me in the right direction of where I can find testimonies of after the exchange and pictures that would be great. I need to decide soon and meeting with my dr today to discuss what he has in mind But i think those who has been through it are just as much of an expert as my dr is. Thanks for your help! Xoxo

If you need to personally email me it is babyo20@aol.com too.

Cathy 

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

Whippetmom - Finally have all the details. I have a 34 inch rib cage and I am 5'4" 140lbs , I expect to go back to my old weight of 130.  My TE is an Allergan 133 MX14 and I am at 700cc's - my PS does overfill for surgery and the rads, so I will be getting by 100cc's extra for each (total is 200).  I had implants put in 10 years ago and they were just a bit too big for my taste. My breast tissue in the mx side was 350 cc's with a total of 700 cc's with the implant. I was a D cup with the implant and want to be a true C. I'm thinking I'm about 50cc's away from being done with the fills to bring me to 550cc's when I'm finished with rads. That sounds like a C cup. I also am thinking gummy bear implants, but am open.

• sweetandspecial

I flew several times with the TEs and never had a problem with any type of scanner I had to go through.

• babyo20
    babyo20 Member Posts: 92

Finally got the information from my PS so wanted to provide it to whiippetmom to see if you can determine what my size will be depending which way we go. I need to decide by next Monday how big I want to be as my exchange surgery is scheduled for end of next month. I know it's short notice but any thoughts you can provide would be appreciated! I can send pics too if needed. Thanks!

I am 5'4, 133 lbs right now. Ribcage measurement is 33, I have TE in both sides that are Mentor CPX 4 medium height integral port, style 8200 350 cc which is now at 425 cc. The PS is going to use Mentor smooth round moderate plus or high profile depending on what looks best during the procedure.

Was a 34b would like to be a full C maybe low D but don't want to be too big. Want more of a natural look but enough to look like a C and not wear bra if I didn't want to at times. He told me I am good where I am at but may go back for a fill next week. Wondering what your thoughts are as to if I stick with what I have now what my end size would be with the permanent implants noted above. I know implants are smaller than TE so not sure if i am okay where i am now.   If I want to be a full C low D should I get more fills? 

Thanks for our help!  Sorry to bother you with this but really am so overwhelmed with all of this!

If ou need further info just ask!

Cathy 

• twoam
    twoam Member Posts: 122

It is so overwelming. I read each, and every post, and I am still just as confused and unsure as I have been from day 1.

• sweetandspecial

twoam - don't worry about being confused.  You have time to learn and ask and learn some more and get some help here figuring out what to do as you journey to exchange surgery.  It's a lot of information and you're not going to remember it all at once.  Just keep asking questions and everyone will help out.  (so sorry you had to find yourself here, though!)

• Karens7
    Karens7 Member Posts: 1

I started my reconstruction when I had my mastectomy.  They put the expenders in and I started getting fluid in them right away.  Four months later I had the implants put it.  I can always feel them and they are uncomfortable alot of the time.  Is this common with other women?  Wish I had had more questions to ask before my surgery.

• sweetandspecial

Karens7 - when was your exchange to implants?  What size were your TEs and what size implants did you expand to?  My implants weren't uncomfortable but did feel kind of 'weighty' for a good couple months or so after the exchange surgery (a year ago on august 7).

• HopeEllen
    HopeEllen Member Posts: 8

Whippetmom, I've learned so much about implants from reading your posts and finally have all my information together to get recommendations as well.  I am 5'4", 130 lbs, 30" rib cage.  In 2004, Prior to being diagnosed I had augmentation with Mentor implants that were 325 cc (I don't know the style because I can't find my card).  My current TE are PMT Integra, Teardrop 10x13, 500cc, 8.5 cm projection and it is style number 3612Es-22-2i. My PS filled to 350cc at time of BMX and I currently am filled to 470cc and I feel humongous.  I have some before and after pics I can PM if you end them. 

Any recommendations are appreciated as we've not discussed final implants much since I have a couple months before my exchange. Thanks so much for your help. 

• kfinnigan

My TE is Mentor Medium Height, 275 cc expander, style 6200.  I'm 5'5, rib cage is 29", and I weigh between 116 to 119.  Natural breast is a droopy B cup and I will get an implant as well at exchange.  Second fill today was 40 cc, I now have 120 cc.  Deborah, what do you suggest?  Thank you so much for your help!!  

Sweetandspecial, I saw your post too late, but my PS wrote down the info on a card for me.  Thanks!

• whippetmom

HomeMom:  You are not a good candidate for anatomical implants, unless you are in Canada or NZ or Australia.  In the U.S., there is no FDA approved anatomical to match the projection of the MX style tissue expanders.  You would be at higher risk for rotation with anatomicals.  I would recommend Allergan Style 20, 600 ccs, smooth round silicone, high profile implants. 550 ccs HPs would be okay, a little less width than your TEs, but okay.  If you want less projection, another option is  Allergan Style 15, 492 ccs, or Sientra smooth HP rounds, 595 ccs.  With Sientra, you have more upper pole fullness than you would have with Mentor or Allergan HPs.  You will NOT be too large with 600 cc HPs in Allergan....

Deborah

• whippetmom

HopeEllen:  Those PMT Integras are tricky for me to gauge width.  They are teardrop shaped TEs, and I would need to know the base width.  Is it 13.0 cm?, or do the TEs decrease in width as the projection increases?  So, that said, from a volume standpoint, I would say that your frame could handle a 500 cc implant.  You have to look at a 500 cc implant differently, because your projection with the TE is 8.5 cm - which is staggering...more so than Mentor or Allergan implants offer.  So if the width is 13.0 cm (which is perfectly logical for your ribcage measurements) and the projection is 8.5 cm, then compare this to the 500 cc HP Mentor or Allergan implant, at 13.0 cm width and 5.2 cm projection.  This is a significant difference in terms of shape and appearance of the implant.  So I feel that certainly I would not go smaller than 450 ccs for you....in a HP implant.  Yes, you can PM me photos....

Deborah

• whippetmom

kfinnigan:  A number of factors must be taken into consideration for a unilateral.  If your natural breast is "droopy", will you get a lift aka mastopexy, in addition to an augmentation?  If not, then the MX side needs to be sufficiently expanded to allow for enough ptosis to match the native side.  I would venture to state that there are a few options.  You might consider a high profile smooth round implant with a volume of around 325 ccs on the MX side, and then a lift and smaller implant on the native side.  Another consideration would be a Sientra smooth round HP implant, because it has been designed to give fullness in the upper pole, and this is something which might benefit.  Also, the textured oval shaped or classic shaped implant in Sientra might be a good option also.  Discuss these options with your PS....and keep me posted!

Deborah

• kfinnigan

Thank you for your reply Deborah, my PS did say that when he puts an implant in my natural breast it will bring it up to look more like the flap breast.  Hmmm...