Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Oh, I have about five shows lined up, and so have not seen that one yet.  I can tell you that NEITHER of these two plastic surgeons are known here in So Cal for performing breast reconstruction.  They are "cosmetic" guys.  I had to fast forward through much of the one show....the one with the guy who does a Madonna impersonation.  I was just interested in the clinical portions of the show.  

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

lekker - I caught that too. Good for you for writing the show.... but I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply. It is, after all, "Reality TV"..... Shocked where reality often takes a holiday for the sake of entertainment.

• twoam
    twoam Member Posts: 122

If they do not technically get 100% of the breast tissue, will I still have to have mammograms? Please say no.

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360

Lekker,  I also caught those 2 statements and it bothered me.  ER+ and low grade tumors commonly recur  after 5 years.

Twoam, I have always heard no mammograms after a bilateral mx.  In fact, many of us won't even get regular scans unless we have some sort of symptoms. 

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

There's no way they could do a mammogram with implants, is there?  Seems like things would pop like a great big zit!  My understanding is that I need manual breast exams every six months (MO is currently performing that function, good thing I'm not ticklish or it would be really awkward the way he digs around in my armpits checking for lumps) and an MRI if warranted for whatever symptom would warrant it.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

I seem to recall Beesie recently mentioned she got some sort of fancy mammogram that worked well for implants.

Standard of care for me (who was prophylactic, no cancer diagnosis) is no more screening mammograms, MRI, etc. Just self and clinical exams, as yes, they can't remove 100% of the breast tissue.

Not having to do the annual mammograms and MRIs was a factor in my decision. At 35 I have been doing MRIs for ten years already, the anxiety combined with facing decades more of them (or until they found something) was a little stressful for me personally. So I would be upset if I still had to get them!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

I was told no mammograms ever after BMX in 2011.  But when i found the lump under my collarbone in 2013, the hospital/clinic/breast center would NOT do an ultrasound w/o a mammo first.  And yes - I have anatomical implants.  NOT fun.  I'm about to have another ULS for continuing pain above & to the side of the implants, which I hope is scar tissue from ALND or from rads.  I asked my MO if he could write in my chart "no mammo".  He said it was up to that department & he couldn't dictate their protocol.  I'll let you all know what happens.

• whippetmom

For me...exams every six months for five years, self-exam and now that I am 5.5 years out, I can tell that I would very quickly know if something odd was going on with my breasts.  No mammograms...no screening MRIs either.  

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

No mammograms, MRIs, ultrasounds, or scans for me... just self-screenings, and annual screenings that my MO says I can have done by her, my OB-GYN, or my Breast Surgeon.

• Nicole32
    Nicole32 Member Posts: 15

Hey everyone.  I need some advice.  I have sent a message to Whippetmom but want to hear your all thoughts also and see if anyone's experience is similar to mine.  I am currently in the reconstruction process and need some help.  Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was flat chested.  I was an A cup and mostly wore sports bras.  I had to wear a padded pushup bra for any shape or cleavage when I wanted it.  I was ok and perfectly happy with my flat chest.  It never bothered me.  I told my PS that I would like to be a B cup but not too big.  I have a slender build and feel that anything too large would look more 'fake" than natural.  I currently have bilateral TE's filled to 320 cc.  This is as large as I am going to go.  I saw my plastic surgeon today and he ordered me Allergan Naturelle 410 full height full projection implants at 425 cc and 475 cc.  He says he will decide which implant to use in the OR (I am scheduled for my exchange next month).  I feel that this is too big for me.  I already feel big with my TE's but it could just be because they are so hard feeling.  I have been looking at pictures and reading threads to try to get a feel if this the norm, but its so hard to compare.  I would appreciate any advice or experiences similar to mine.  My husband does not want me to go any bigger (he thinks Im too big now), 3 year keeps telling me my "boobs are huge," and my 1 year old is uncomfortable now anytime she leans against my chest.  (Again it could just be the feel of the TE)  But I am so worried that I will have my exchange and be unhappy with the results.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

Nicole

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133

Nicole what's your height and weight. I was a 30AA prior and am 5'3" and 107# and have 425 sientra shaped implants. I am definitely LARGER but in proportion to my body. In spandex workout tops and naked is when I really notice a difference. But then again I am only 6 weeks post op. So it's still very new to me. I certainly am happy and would not want to be any bigger.

• bethq
    bethq Member Posts: 177

Couldn't help but laugh, your PS wants to go bigger than what you want and mine wants to go smaller You want to be smaller and I want to be bigger. I can't offer any advice except be specific with the PS. He can take some of the fill out from what I have read. As for me, my exchange is in a week and I'm done negotiating I suppose.

• Nicole32

I am 5'9" and weight about 150 lbs

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299

thanks for the info girls...looks like i will be sending whippetmom my measurements!! 

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133

Nicole, did Whippetmom recommend any sizes for you yet? I don't think that you will be too large with either size that your PS is recommending. That's my 2 cents😉!

• jennie71
    jennie71 Member Posts: 7

Whippetmom and Juliecc,

I relocated to Orange County and have Kaiser Insurance.  I had my reconstruction and exchange done in Redwood and San Francisco.  I have a divot in one breast and am looking into fat grafting.  Can you tell me the name of the Kaiser doctor you used in Orange County and the location she is at so I can contact her?  Thanks! Jennie

• twoam

Nicole - When is your exchange? I am very interested, as I am also 5'9" 155 lbs, and going with the 410. I want to be smaller then I was before BC, and I was kinda small then. I have had my last fill. At 540cc now. I almost stopped at 480cc, but after 2 weeks, they settled down a lot, so decided for one more, just for some wiggle room (please excuse the pun). What I find very interesting, is I have noticed that most taller ladies with 410's are getting the FF. My PS has suggessted the MF for me all along. I understand that we are all built differently, but now Im thinking "Do I have an abnormally short torso?" lol. For me, we are thinking the 470 or 525 MF.  I will say this. I was very nervous about how big they seemed after the last fill, but after a few weeks, they have really "settled" down. Not sure if that is the word I am looking for. I will post pics as soon as possible. Maybe we can compare notes :)

• whippetmom

Jennie71: Her name is Gail Mattson-Gates, MD.  She is at Kaiser Sand Canyon.

• Nicole32

Twoam-my exchange is scheduled for 9-26.  I would love to compare notes!!!

Bethq-I know I am in the minority...most women want larger breasts...Im worried they will be too big

Olaf-No, but I sent her all of my information last night...Im curious to see what she has to say

• whippetmom

Nicole: I responded via private message. I need further information!

• Nicole32

Whippetmom-I just sent you what you needed...Im so sorry...this is all so new to me.

Thanks!

• babyo20
    babyo20 Member Posts: 92

do TE settle down like implants do? I got fills almost every week and it's been more than that now and was thinking the same thing but never heard it before. Anyone? Thanks!

• twoam

I knew I used the wrong words lol

• whippetmom

Nicole:  Your TEs have the following dimensions:

133-SV-300 ccs - 13.0 cm wide and 9.1 cm height and 5.7 cm projection

The Allergan 410 anatomicals which would come close to these dimensions, would be:

410-MF - 425 grams - 13.5 cm wide and 12.5 cm height and 5.3 cm projection

(you might be able to go with the 375 gram anatomical, with a 13.0 cm wide base, but I think it is better to err on the side of having that implant fit nice and snug in the pocket.)

410-LF - 390 grams - 13.5 cm wide and 11.4 cm height and 5.3 cm projection

Another style that comes close, with more projection is:

410-LX - 365 grams - 13.0 cm wide and 10.9 cm height and 6.1 cm projection.  ( I think you would be fine with this one at 13.0 cm wide, because the projection is greater than the projection of the TE and that might make for a snug fit also.)

NOTE: I think you might prefer the end results with the LF over the MF....based on what you told me via private message)

Another IMPLANT option is the Sientra, which is still a true cohesive gel "gummy bear", but is not as firm or rigid an implant as the anatomical 410.  In that, you could go with a:

1. 400 ccs: Textured Shaped Oval Moderate Projection:  13.4 cm wide, 11.4 cm height and 4.7 cm projection

2.  270  ccs: Textured Shaped Oval Low Projection:  13.3 cm wide and 11.1 cm height and 3.3 cm projection

3.  410 ccs: Smooth Round Moderate Projection:  13.0 cm wide and 4.1 cm projection

In Allergan smooth siicone rounds I would recommend:

Style 15 - 371 ccs: 12.9 cm wide and 4.1 cm projection 

I feel that if you want to remain smaller than you are with your TEs, that you will want to stay in the 300 cc/300gram range...down to the 270 cc Sientra...

Deborah

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67

Hello there! I just had my exchange today and wanted to let you know what I ended up with. I ended up with Mentor silicone ultra high profile 700cc. I'll post pictures on the picture forum in a couple of days. Feeling pretty good. I  am little more sore on the left and in the middle due to bringing them closer together and down a bit more. I get to take a shower tomorrow so I will be doing an unveiling.  Hoping for good results. Fingers crossed.

Susan

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360

Jenne71, she is great.  I just had my exchange last Friday and I had my post op with her today.  She said not too many of the Kaiser PSs do fat grafting but she does.  I had a dent in my TEs and she fixed it during the exchange without fat grafting.  She is definitely ok with me getting fat grafting if I need it in the future.  I would definitely ask to see her.  Good luck!

Congrats again, Susan!!

• simplelife2
    simplelife2 Member Posts: 74

Susan, congratulations! So happy you are now squishy and doing good. Keep us posted! I had revision and nipple reconstruction today and it went well. Rest lots! Hugs (softly)

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67

Thanks Simple!  I'm happy to hear you had a successful surgery as well. Take care of those new nips!  That's so awesome! 

• jennie71
    jennie71 Member Posts: 7

Thanks Whippetmom and Juliecc!  I will contact her.  My PS in SF doesn't do much fat grafting.  I believe he has done a handful of patients in the last five years.  He said it could cause necrosis, lumps and in his opinion is not worth the risk.  I want a second opinion.  Thanks for all your help! Jennie

• Nicole32

Thanks so much Deborah...I truly appreciate it!!!!!