Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

redheeledwoman: I vote for 750 ccs, Allergan Style 20. This is the most logical and proper implant for your TE...unless your PS wants to do a little pocket narrowing and use a Style 45, 800 ccs. It is the extra full projection style implant which come closest to the projection of your TEs. Many of us, dare I say MOST of us have implants with at least 100 ccs greater volume than were our TEs. You might not need overfilling at all... Lax droopy skin prior to MX often affords the PS with extra room for larger implants. 

Deborah

Addendum: it is all going to depend on the nipple placement on the mound! One style of implant might work better in this regard than another.

• Nicole32
    Nicole32 Member Posts: 15

Hey girls.  I have been doing as much reading and research as I can.  This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and I am so grateful all of you are on here to let me know that I am not the only one stressing and dealing with all of this.  I have my exchange surgery scheduled for Sept 26th.  My bilateral mastectomy with TE placement was June 2.  I want to get this done ASAP so that I can move on with my life.  I will let you all know how it goes and what size my PS decides to go with.

• whippetmom

Elizabeth: Just responded via PM!

• redheeledwomen
    redheeledwomen Member Posts: 74

Thank you so much Whippetmom.

I'm printing and taking your recommendations to my PS after my last fill.  I feel so good about your recommendations.

Blessings to you.

• babyo20
    babyo20 Member Posts: 92

Many of you mention pocket work. Do you mention that you want more cleavage so they do pocket work or do they realize what needs to be done to make them look more natural? My PS didn't tell me much about what he is going to do so wonder if I should mention anything to him about it. I thought about pictures but it's hard to tell exactly how they look from a picture only. I assume as long as implant is bigger in volume than I am now it will be bigger. I just want what I have now but not in my arms and maybe not as much projection but want some.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Hi, babyo20 - "Pocket Work" can mean many things, but it is a fairly detailed surgical procedure that means the PS is adjusting the size of the pocket he created at the time of your BMX in order to better accommodate your permanent implants.

In my case, pocket work was mandatory, as my implants were much narrower than my TEs, and whippetmom recommended lateral capsulorraphies. (That's where the pockets are stitched completely all the way around and narrowed to fit the implants so they do not migrate under your armpits.) 

At first, the PS said no, because it causes more pain, a longer recovery, and more restrictions. But he did do them at Exchange and I was very glad he did, even though he was right about the pain, the recovery, and the restrictions.

I know you have had many questions about your final outcome all along the way, and I think by now that your PS probably understands what you want to look like.

To tell a surgeon that he has to do pocket work is really kind of overstepping the bounds of what your desire vs his expertise as a surgeon is. So with your Exchange coming up soon, I'd say just make sure you have communicated the way you want to look afterwards, and let it go. There is only so much we can control.

I think you may be surprised at how good you look after Exchange. If not; if you are desperately unhappy with the results, just know nothing is permanent. Many women have revision surgery if there are actual defects that bother them.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Hi, babyo20 - "Pocket Work" can mean many things, but it is a fairly detailed surgical procedure that means the PS is adjusting the size of the pocket he created at the time of your BMX in order to better accommodate your permanent implants.

In my case, pocket work was mandatory, as my implants were much narrower than my TEs, and whippetmom recommended lateral capsulorraphies. (That's where the pockets are stitched completely all the way around and narrowed to fit the implants so they do not migrate under your armpits.) 

At first, the PS said no, because it causes more pain, a longer recovery, and more restrictions. But he did do them at Exchange and I was very glad he did, even though he was right about the pain, the recovery, and the restrictions.

I know you have had many questions about your final outcome all along the way, and I think by now that your PS probably understands what you want to look like.

To tell a surgeon that he has to do pocket work is really kind of overstepping the bounds of what your desire vs his expertise as a surgeon is. So with your Exchange coming up soon, I'd say just make sure you have communicated the way you want to look afterwards, and let it go. There is only so much we can control.

I think you may be surprised at how good you look after Exchange. If not; if you are desperately unhappy with the results, just know nothing is permanent. Many women have revision surgery if there are actual defects that bother them.

• whippetmom

I'm doing the happy dance!  Tomorrow is babyo20's exchange surgery!!!  Winking

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Deborah - ThumbsUpWinking

• bethq
    bethq Member Posts: 177

Whippet mom can you believe I got a 425 and a 375? The recovery nurses said they thought it was 350 so I was bummed but my husband had talked to the PS and she told him what she had used. Pretty happy about that. My sides are so sore right now, I wonder if this is because she had to do something on the lateral sides to accommodate the larger implants?

• babyo20

thanks everyone :)

• babyo20

on my way soon. We never talked about exactly what is going on so I need to make sure we discuss it all. He was annoyed I was questioning things because all I learned on here so I would mention things to him. Just want him to listen too!

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165

Best wishes, Babyo!

• Mischief46
    Mischief46 Member Posts: 68

best of luck Babyo!

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360

Good luck, Babyo!

• 3littlebirds
    3littlebirds Member Posts: 54

Thinking of you today, babyo! I wish you the best and hope you are thrilled with the results.

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490

Best of luck babyo20!  I'm with Whippetmom SillyHeart

• AZ85048

Best of luck to you today, babyo!  

• AZ85048

And peace to you, Deborah... Loopy

• whippetmom

bethq....You might have just needed some lateral suturing to secure the implants and keep them from moving laterally.  Doubt she had to enlarge the pockets.  Just really take it easy and careful with lifting ANYTHING and don't raise the arms to pull anything over your head or blow dry your hair.  Winking

• nancybel
    nancybel Member Posts: 39

Best of luck to you today, Babyo!

• 3littlebirds
    3littlebirds Member Posts: 54

Hi Whippetmom, I'm hoping you can advise me. I am 5'11", 165lb with a 34" ribcage. I have Allergan 133 MX-13 TEs filled to 450cc right now. I was large breasted (800g on left biopsy side and 900g on right) but find I am enjoying being smaller breasted. That said, I still want to look proportional to my frame. Any input is appreciated. My exchange is on Oct.3 and I know my PS is thinking smooth rounds for me. 

Thanks for all you do!

• babyo20

that is such a relief to have those hard expanders out! You were all right! Just trying to nap but buys always been hard. I want to see so bad but with g another day. He is one day the nurse two so figure I will let things heal by waiting a day. I am too tired to shower anyway. Too lazy!

• babyo20

who's next? :)

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165

I'm exactly two weeks from today! Sept 4th.  Can't wait, but a bit nervous too...

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

bahahahaha babyo - when you look back at your posts from today you're gonna know you were doped up.  Either that or you've got a really whacked up keyboard......lol!

So glad you're happy!

• babyo20

it's a little of both :) my phone is what I use most of the time so I don't often catch errors or feel like it. This time I did!

Yes it did being back bad memories but I also don't want to not be able to get out of bed like I did before. I might do it for another night. Our couches are great too but figures this is better since it will be easier to get out along with no rolling either lol

Yeah I am doped up still but that's okay. Doing it more to help me sleep but probably no more. Being doped up is not fun. I will try bed tonight!

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876

Baby,

Good luck with sleeping tonight and if you're sore don't hesitate to take something. Pain killers sick, but the pain is worse to deal with. Soon you can transition to Tylenol or Motrin! :)

• whippetmom

Typing while drugged can be entertaining.....for those reading the posts.

• whippetmom

3littlebirds:  I think that you at least need 600 ccs in a high profile smooth round silicone implant - Allergan Style 20. You have the MX style TE, which means you get a lot of projection which you are not going to get with implants.  If you had considerable droop with your native breasts, you might be a good candidate for a Sientra smooth round HP 595 ccs or 655 ccs.  You get something similar to a lift with the Sientra round, with upper pole fullness.  The trade off is a little less projection than you get with the Style 20, but sometimes upper pole fullness and the need for same outweighs the need/desire for a lot of projection. So if you needed that...this would be a good choice.  If the projection of the TEs really work for you....you could go with an Allergan Style 45, 650 ccs.  Remember, you will NOT have the same overly-ample breasts you had prior to MX.  There is no breast tissue....just implant....so it takes more volume to create the proportioned appearance on the chest wall.