Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• twoam
    twoam Member Posts: 122

AZ - My PS definately wants to do FG at some point in the future. What is the recovery time for that, or does it depend on the donor site?

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

twoam - I think it depends on the donor site, how much they need, and the PS.  As you know by now, every PS seems to have their own set of rules and procedures.  I woke up with an Ace bandage around the girls and a Velcro compression wrap around my middle and both stayed there for three days.  Surgery was on Monday and the 'unveiling' was on a Thursday when he cut all of the bandaging and wraps off of me.  The pain wasn't too bad at all.  About the soreness I'd expected.  The two stitches had to stay in for another week, so 10 days altogether.  Whippetmom can tell you more about it than I can...I think she had it done a couple of times.

ThumbsUp

• Superbody
    Superbody Member Posts: 14

Hey AZ85048 - I'm curious why you had revision surgery? Is it normal to have revision surgery a few months after the exchange? I guess I'm trying to get realistic about how many surgeries I'll need (I still have my TEs). Also, can you explain more how the FG has helped you so much? Do you know if insurance covers this? Glad you've retained your FG :)

• IslandGurl
    IslandGurl Member Posts: 16

whippetmom,

Another question... Can a girl my size have fat grafting? Is there a bmi restriction of some sort? I'm technically underweight I suppose. 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Fat grafting is not the answer for you Islandgurl.  Your implant has rotated and it is highly likely that the other will follow suite.  They need to be exchanged.  Once exchanged, you may not even have a need for fat graft transfer.  My concern is that the rotated implant is thinning out the upper pole even more.  

• Dnice
    Dnice Member Posts: 156

Hi islandgurl, I just want to say that maybe a second opinion is in order? 

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

Deborah, saw dr Kaplan with Kaiser, she will use the sientra shaped implant 550, sometime in November. Little to no pocket work and she will use allederm also. She wants my weight to settle first. I decided not to see the second PS today and think it will all work out fine. Thanks for your input. 

• whippetmom

Sunflowercat:  This is why we cannot go by the volume of tissue removed at the time of mastectomy to gauge how much volume is needed with implants.  SingingYou would be a A-- cup with 252 ccs!!  You are going to need two and a half to three times that amount with implants!  So either Allergan Style 20, 550 ccs or 600 ccs, or Allergan Style 45, 650 ccs for smooth silicone rounds, and if the Allergan 410, it would be the FF style, 475 grams.  Why don't you expand to 500 ccs and let's see what you think about the size once filled to the recommended volume.

Deborah

• whippetmom

Smaarty:  So happy it all worked out for you with Dr. Kaplan!  Please keep me posted....and we want to see photos in November!

• whippetmom

twoam:

I have had fat graft transfer performed twice.  The second time, much more was harvested than the first time.  I had it done in San Diego the second time and so stayed at my sisters for two nights.  She brought me home from the hospital in the afternoon and I was out of it until I woke up the next morning.  That second day, wrapped in my Spanx and guaze/bra, I went outside and stained two pieces of furniture.   I drove home the third day (only on Tylenol) and went out to the park to chuck the ball for my whippets.  I have photos post-FGT on the Pic Forum.....And we went on vacation right after this also, because the photos were taken in the hotel room.  

• Dnice

when was this Whippetmom ? You should be resting and focused on yourself. Unless I'm reading the posts wrong? 

• Dnice

oh wait .... Lol   This wasn't recent? ... Forgive me....

• whippetmom

Ha!  It was years ago!

• Dnice

lol. Sorry. I panicked about you doing too much for others while recuperating. Long week... 

• twoam
    twoam Member Posts: 122

Thanks Whippetmon Smile

• sunflowercat
    sunflowercat Member Posts: 37

thanks whippetmom for your input!  I have highlighted your suggestions on the natrelle catalog and added them to my "booby book".  I'll be sure to check back when I am at 500cc.

• dianems
    dianems Member Posts: 46

I saw the PS today and exchange surgery is set for Oct. 14.  I am leaning towards the Allergan 20. 400 cc - 450.  I need to decide if I want to go to the smaller size or larger. I have the anchor incision with a vertical up to the nipple (where the nipple used to be).  I am glad I went ahead with the Bilateral so now the reconstruction can be more bilateral. This  is ironic, I had been thinking about a breast lift and had the brochures about it.  I thought the incision looked painful. Then  the Big C shows up.  Well, now I get new boobs instead of a lift. 

• whippetmom

dianems:  I sent you a PM.  You need 500 ccs in Style 20.  Your TEs are 13.0 cm wide and you need to match or exceed the width of your TEs.  If your TEs are style MV and your width is 13.0 cm, the TEs have a fill volume of 400 ccs.  I would recommend 475 ccs - minimally - I think they are 12.8 cm - or, if you want to go smaller, Style 15, 397 ccs.

Deborah

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Scheduling as begun for the exchange procedure, whether I
    get any more fills or not.   Saw PS yesterday.

The brand/style/size of implants for
    exchange are up in the air at the moment. The chart he looked at is
    entirely different than shown online so I've asked for confirmation.
    Initially he said Allergan Style 45 Siltex at 13.x width and showed me the chart which showed that the there is only one profile for that style.  Mentor uses Siltex yet the 45 is Allergan.  Confusion!  His starting is 600cc and feels I'll be 650cc, although he's
    having 600-800 implants on hand to check things for an OR decision. He
    does want to use a very high profile for two purposes - to at least keep
    at the current level of projection as TEs and also to fill enough to
    fill in more at the front of a bra cup.

No fill was done due to one spot on the Right I've had concerns
    about for months decided to act up again so following the redness
    problem, he didn't fill it on the chance it would further weaken the
    point. Washing with Dove Soap Bar for Sensitive Skin and using Cerave
    on the spot. I'm going back next week for a check and possible fill, to
    see how this is doing.  Now the Left is 400cc and the Right is 360cc.  Left projected quite nicely frontal.  Right filled more to the side than the front but that's okay.

An IMF incision will not be utilized.
    Instead, he'll go in through the side since has to open that any way to
    remove the mudflaps of excess tissue/skin left from a SSBMX. Unless
    the spot on the front incision clears up nicely he most likely will need
    to clean that up too.

This is the closest I've ever gotten to having any successful reconstruction round, so all good vibes/thoughts/prayers/blessings are most welcome!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Galsal - YAY!  Praying that everything continues to go well and you get that exchange date sooner, rather than later,  And as Moon would say, 'no more scenic detours'!  Winking  Wishing you nothing but the very best!  Please let us know when you get your exchange date, because it's going to be very crowded in your pocket on that day!  ThumbsUp  Big hugs to you!

• Dnice

good luck galsal! You were so smart to come to Whippetmom! 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

Gal Sal, fingers crossed it will go perfectly from now on.

• worryocd
    worryocd Member Posts: 9

Hi ladies!  

What a wonderful resource this site is! 

I had a mastectomy with expanders back in June. MY card states that the style  isNatrelle 133mx-13, 500.  I usually wear a 36-38 bra. Does that cover the rib cage size?  I measured with measuring tape and I am 35 inches across my ribs , directly under my bra line. I am 5'7 and weigh 153lbs.  I fluctuate between 153-160. I think I was a 38B or C before mastectomy.  I don' t know my exact size because I was nursing and never went for a bra fitting.  I have 360 ML's in my expanders at the moment.  I liked being at 300ML's but the doc said the implant is slightly smaller than expander?  If I want to be 360 ML's , I need to have one more expansion. So I am torn between the 300 and the 360!  What do you think? I would like to have a nice boobs but don't want to be too big.  I would like big but not too big.  What do you think?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Galsal - getting excited for you! Prayers for a successful procedure and a complete healing!!!

• whippetmom

Galsal:  Siltex is "textured"....why can't he just use Style 45 smooth silicone rounds?  I think you need at least 700 cs...Style 45.....

• whippetmom

worryocd: Implants with a volume of 300 ccs to 350 ccs would be very small on your frame. You cannot go by your level of FILL...because you have the footprint for 500 cc tissue expanders.  A 350 cc implant would barely give you a mound on your chest wall!  You need AT LEAST 500 ccs in a Style 20, for example - a high profile smooth round silicone implant, or 421 ccs or 457 ccs in a Style 15, a midrange profile implant.  I would suggest that if you liked where you were at 360 ccs, you need one of these implants I mentioned to approximate that appearance.

Here is how it all plays out:

Your TEs:  MX-500 ccs:   13.0 cm wide and 12.0 cm height and 6.7 cm projection.  

At 360 ccs fill, the only thing which would be diminished would be the height and projection, but not by much.  So perhaps 13.0 cm wide, 11.0 cm height and 6.2 cm projection.  

Allergan Style 20 - 500 ccs:  13.0 cm width and 5.2 cm projection.  Look at the projection difference.  This size implant will be a bit smaller than you were at 360 ccs. 

Allergan Style 15 - 421 ccs -  13.3 cm width and 4.3 cm projection.  Quite a bit less projection than Style 20.

I don't know where your PS was leading you, thinking that implants in the 300 cc range would give you the volume you need with reconstruction.  You need to go back to the drawing table with him and show him these numbers!

Deborah

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Thanks for the good words Ladies!  Whippetmom, we all value your opinion!  Yes, he said Style 45 and believes it won't wind up less than 650 in the long run, although will be working between the 600-800 range. 

• whippetmom

Galsal: Sounds good to me! ThumbsUp

• worryocd
    worryocd Member Posts: 9

Thank you whippetmom!

• I need help with sizing!  It is stressing me out.  Before BMX I was a 36DDD.  I never liked being that big.  I am 5ft 6in and weigh 110 lbs.  I have lost a lot of weight and hope to gain 15-20 lbs back.  My rib cage is 29 in.  I have Mentor moderate tissue expanders with a recommended fill volume of 550 cc and I am currently filled at 480cc. My PS usually uses moderate plus silicon implants.  I think I am done filling and plan to have the exchange in 4 weeks.  But I am nervous that I overfilled!!  Last time I was filled to 420 cc and like the size but I had heard that sometimes after the exchange you are a little smaller so I had one more fill of 60 cc and now I am afraid I have gone too big.  When my PS filled out the surgery form for me to take to scheduling I noticed that he wrote on the top 500 - 550 cc.  Not sure if that is to indicate the size of silicone implant he will use or the fill volume of my current expanders.  I don't think I want him to put in 500 cc implants.  I just want a nice full breast but not too big. I like being able to wear smaller tops.  My goal was to be a C cup but now I am realizing that cup size isn't a science. I need your help whippetmom.  What is your advice on my size?  Thank you for reading this!!