Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

WindingRoad:I cannot imagine he would use an ultra full projection Mentor. He would need to use a 430 cc ultra to match the width of your TE, that is, IF your TE is a SV-200. If it is a LV-200, the width is 12.0 cm and that would translate to an implant just under or at 12.0, or greater in width

• WindingRoad
    WindingRoad Member Posts: 7

Hm, so now I'm second guessing if my expander information is correct. The PS who placed them is not my current PS. I did call and speak with the nurse who relayed the expander information.

I'm going to measure my expander width in the morning to see if it matches up.

• whippetmom

Well, if he said "250 ccs", he might be thinking of using an anatomical....and in that case...it would likely be a Mentor medium height moderate plus profile,255 ccs...

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

a little holiday humor:

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490

2ndtimearound - that's so CUTE!

• lulivesay
    lulivesay Member Posts: 30

Going for my exchange tomorrow morning I am very excited!  Just wondering, my PS will decide the final implant size in the OR so if he uses an implant with a slightly wider size than the expander would he have to do pocket work?  Or is there a little wiggle room?  I think we are pretty much on the same page of using Allergen 20 425cc's but he will decide the final and I was wondering about that width?? 

• Thanks Sandra4611 & Rosebud77 for the reply. The upset has worn off on how these things look and I am just trying to get used to them for now. I have a follow up on Dec 23 with PS so I will chat with him then on what we can do- unfortunately he is a hard doctor to talk to. I will fill you in on what he says. He IS an excellent PS but somewhere along the way communication was lost, he knew what I wanted my outcome to be and it is completely different. I trusted him as my doctor and if he would have told me I was not going to get the results I wanted with putting in the soft solids I would have done saline. I will tell you my expanders were more comfortable then these implants.

Happyteacher how are you doing? Are you wrapped with drains for a week? Once you get unwrapped and the drains are out you will feel better. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow (Wednesday) and I have to say I am pretty much back to normal, I am definitely not doing any heavy lifting but everything else is okay.

• AlexaP
    AlexaP Member Posts: 90

Whippet mom I just got some info I want to share with you. We have all probably heard by now that the FDA recently approved Allergans new Natrelle 410 anotomicals. Style x has extra projection, and style L has Low height and low projection. Being that I am primarily interested in the X I was perusing their website to see WHEN they would be available for use... No info on that... So I called them. VERY SURPRISED that I spoke to an actual person who transferred me to customer service immediately. This person said target date is January 12! So if anyone is interested, I just wanted to share... I asked if they would be readily available for say a February or March surgery and he said yes. While I realize that "target date" doesn't mean for sure, but it's a lot sooner than I had expected. Hope it's helpful.

• whippetmom

lulivesay: Yes, there is some wiggle room. Let us know how you are doing after the exchange

• whippetmom

bbetty: Yes, insurance should cover a revision. You might want to get a second opinion. Tell me what mfr, style and volume of TEs you had and we can figure out where you could be with silicone rounds.

• whippetmom

AlexaP: If your PS cannot get the Allergan MX or FX by your exchange date, the Mentor CPG high profile anatomical is probably more readily available and it has a bit more projection, as compared to an equivalent volume in the Allergan X version.

• AlexaP
    AlexaP Member Posts: 90

Thanks whippetmom. I'll keep that in my notebook!

• IntheATL2014
    IntheATL2014 Member Posts: 41

I am scheduled for exchange on Dec. 31, trying to not have to pay a new deductible/out of pocket just yet. I will be getting 410 FF, but wish I could get FX. They are not available for at least a month or so in the US. I am a little worried about projection. My TEs are filled 525 on the left (plus fat from previous AFT) and 725 on the right. Talking with my PS yesterday, she will use sizers during surgery to make sure pockets are right and she will do FG on the right. Because of the AFT on the left, she might use MF there so I will not have Foobs under my neck. My pre-mastectomy breasts were DD, long and wide. I am hoping for a full C (at least) after exchange.

I am so grateful to the discussion groups for info so that I know what questions to ask and what research I need to do. Also, the support and encouragement that so many women here provide to each other. Looking forward to the gummy-side.

• lulivesay

Thank you, Whippetmom! Surgery went well I have been home for an hour already. My PS settled on Sientra 10521-545HP. Got my high profiles :) I go back and see him tomorrow and will get a first peek! So glad to be to this point! Thank for your advice!

• happyteacher
    happyteacher Member Posts: 45

BBetty-

Just went in this morning for a follow up, and the drains are to remain in for at least another week. The pain is improving for sure. Previously even when taking Percocet there was a lot of pain. Now I can take aceitominphin with comparable levels of pain. I did have the steristrip tape removed today so now can take a "normal" shower- oh happy day! Had the antibiotics extended out another week due to the drain issues. Nauseua is much better, and at this time only intermittent.

I felt the tape being pulled off today!! First time I noticed feeling anything on the chest since the mastectomy! Only felt it on part of one side, but I will take it!

• Dnice
    Dnice Member Posts: 156

happy teacher , curious as to what gave you feeling back? I would give just about anything to feel again. Was it FG?

• happyteacher
    happyteacher Member Posts: 45

Dnice-

I have absolutely no idea. I was utterly shocked when I realized I felt the tape come off.

• Dnice

Well whatever it was, thank goodness. I have no feeling at all. When I shave my underarms, I could cut myself and not even be aware. Who knew? I have heard that fat grafting can help return some sensation. I'm hoping....

• ojoyjoy
    ojoyjoy Member Posts: 44

Whippetmom - exchange went good and I'm feeling realy good. This was a walk in the park compared to the BMX. I ended up with style 20 HP 500ccs. I go for my post op tomorrow and hoping I'll get thIs wrap off and get a look at the new girls :)

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Whippetmom: LOVE the pendulous breast comment!!!!! That was funny. I know I will have more information from my appointment on January 6 but something keeps coming up - a few people said I should go a little bigger - I had thought I would stay the same size and just be fuller but friends (girl!) have suggested moving up to a C size. After looking at so many photos, I'm not even sure I am a B size!!!!!! I could possibly only be an A! I have never been fitted and probably should take advantage of being fitted at Victoria's Secret or something but how do I get fitted now with one breast half the size of the other!!!!!! LOL

I have always bought 36B.......right now I am in Bali Revolution Sport bras, which I love.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,312

Dnice - If you had a sentinal node biopsy to make sure your DCIS was contained, we are always & forever at risk for lymphadema after that. Shaving w/a razor is a no no, so I switched to electric.

• whippetmom

IntheATL201: Ask your PS to order the Mentor CPG - medium height, high profile. It has comparable projection with Allergan's "X" version. It is easier to obtain, since this implantwent through FDA approval many months ago.image

• whippetmom

lulivesay and ojoyjoy: looking forward to a glowing report girls

• whippetmom

Dogsneverlie: Err on the larger side. Don't go too small. Also, do not lethim get too aggressive with the mastopexy.

• lulivesay

Whippetmom thank you for your advice! In the end I ended up with Sientra 10521-545HP so I got my high profiles haha! The unveiling was yesterday at the PS I am pretty happy. I know they will change over time but this size seems pretty close to the TE's. But oh so soft and squishy! :) and no drains, no binders so I will five a shout out to my PS Dr. Thomas Rishavy Duluth Lakewalk Clinic Duluth MN! :)

• Dnice

Minus two, I had no idea! I did have SNB on both sides. No one informed me about that risk. Thank you so much. Never used an electric razor before. I will give it a try.

• whippetmom

lulivesay: Thank you! I needed another PS in MN to add to my list!! So glad you are happy with your results

• sandgar
    sandgar Member Posts: 53

ojoyjoy thinking of switching from 425cc to 500cc hp round. Saw you had the same size and was wondering what your body measurements and weight compared to mine. Thanks

• ojoyjoy
    ojoyjoy Member Posts: 44

Sandgar- I'm 5'3", 130lbs and 32 Ribcage. Went for my post op yesterday and my incisions were still oozing a little blood. That and the carride made me naueses so I didn't get a good look at them. I'll be able to have my first shower this evening. I'll take some pics and post on the picture forum when I'm all cleaned up.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

Deborah, I don't remeber if you had alladerm with your recon but here's two photos, left and right. What you see are divots, on both. The really dark one is the purple magic marker that hasn't washed out. The lines between the divots is old scars from the breast lift. I'm concerned about the divots. They weren't there before. And it started with one on the outside edge of each one. Now both have two. What do you think? I don't see the doc until the 30. They don't hurt. They are looking fine otherwise.

image Right

image Left