Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Shelleyshell
    Shelleyshell Member Posts: 1

hi. I had BMX 4/27 with skin sparing and TE placement. Natrelle style 133 with 600 cc max fill. I am 5'6 230 and was 42 DDD prior to surgery. (1200 ccBreast tissue removed) I am not interested in getting anywhere near that size - always wanted reduction! Rib cage is 38" I am currently filled to 580 and PS says can put in a 650 gummy implant. I think I'm happy with that but?? I have had such bad muscle cramping with the TEs that I really want to be done but I also don't want to make a bad decision based on pain and frustration. Your thoughts? Thanks so much!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306

GardnerGirl - yes about how implants look after weight loss - at least for me. I already had implants from the first round of BC before my recurrence. With chemo I lost 60 lbs and they looked huge.

• Gardnergirls
    Gardnergirls Member Posts: 22

Thanks Minus Two!! I'm just one month out so I'm slowly getting myself on track. Plastic surgeon did tummy tuck and put some of the fat taken and injected around the implants to make them look more natural. I'm anxious to get walking and loosing some weight. I've had a rough year with 4 surgeries since September with I had the double skin/nipple sparing mastectomy. All the recovery time has really put a damper on things and I'm really looking forward to losing weight and getting active this summer

• Kristen3_0
    Kristen3_0 Member Posts: 4

Hello. I am so glad I found you as I am completely confused about how my finished reconstruction "project" will look. I had a bilateral double mastectomy in July 2015 and did not do reconstruction at that time. After finishing chemo in December and starting to feel better I decided to go for it and start moving forward with my life.

On April 28, 2016, I had Allegran 133mx-12 expanders put in. Currently I am filled to 375cc. Prior to surgery I was a 32B and would like to be a full C/small D cup when it's all said and done. I am 49 years old, 5' 5" and probably weigh about 140 right now, although I was 130 before this all started which is my normal weight. My rib cage measurement today is 30". I do not know what types of implants my PS typically uses. My expanders actually look pretty good, although they feel quite large to me probably because they are much higher and fuller than I used to be. For the first time in my life I know what it's like to have a bit of cleavage. :)

I'm curious what you think would be a good final implant size and style for me? PS thinks I should do one more fill (50cc each time) for size and then one more to overfill (for a total of 475cc) before I wait three months for the exchange. I'm most likely going to choose silicone implants.

Thanks so much! You are an angel to so many.

Kristen

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

tsoebbin:

I think that it would be reasonable for your PS to use a tissue expander in the moderate height full projection range - around 550 to 600 ccs. In the next three to four months you will know how you are doing with your weight loss goals. i do not know about delaying surgery. I cannot see undergoing anesthesia again for TE placement. That is just my humble opinion...I think that implants with a volume of 700 ccs should be the max and you can lose weight and watch the implant size change in appearance as you do so.
  • whippetmom

Ringelle has the personal experience and so I am deferring to her comments and to those of her PS about the BMI issues. Certainly wound healing and other factors need to be taken into consideration, and so communicate further with Ringelle - more expert than I am in this instance!!

• whippetmom

AS YOU LOSE WEIGHT, THE IMPLANTS WILL APPEAR LARGER ON YOUR CHEST WALL. Your cup size goes UP as you lose abdominal girth and as you lose the adipose tissue around your ribcage. So your bra band size goes down and your cup size increases. Losing belly weight is a major factor!

• whippetmom

Shellyshell: when you say "gummy" implant that means to ME - anatomicals. I would say no to anatomicals for YOU for reasons stated above in the thread header. I think 650 ccs in a silicone round, which is what I hope he is referring to, is going to seem small to you, but the way to know is to determine whether the size you are now is fine, because that is about how large you will be with 650 cc high profilesilicone rounds.

• whippetmom

Kristen: I think 475 ccs or even 500 ccs in a high profile smooth round implant would be good. this would include the option of the newer Natrelle Inspira implant (the SSX or SRX in that brand)as well as the Allergan Style 20 implant. If your PS is thinking of anatomicals, they would be 410 gms minimally, I believe, 410-MX style.

• tsoebbin
    tsoebbin Member Posts: 199

Many thanks to each of you. I feel much more prepared now. 😃

• Bostonhelen
    Bostonhelen Member Posts: 1

Where is exchange city?

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Bostonhelen - Here's the thread called Exchange City - and welcome to BCO!

• TampaWhit
    TampaWhit Member Posts: 3

Hello! I'm new to posting, but I'm fast approaching my mastectomy (July 28!) and starting to get nervous about choosing implant type and size (though I know the exchange surgery won't be for a few months after the mastectomy). I feel very uneducated about implant types, shapes, etc as I haven't had very many appointments with my PS. I have a pre-op appointment coming up and I'd like to be educated about the questions I should ask and start forming my own opinions before I'm guided down one particular path.

For background, I'm 25 and was diagnosed with IDC in my right breast in January of this year. It's triple negative and I'm BRCA1+, so I will be having a bilateral mastectomy.

I'm 5'4", 135lbs, and my ribcage below my breasts is 30".

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :) Thank you!

• Sheree66
    Sheree66 Member Posts: 11

Dear Whippetmom,

First of all, I want to thank you for all your help to all of us ladies going through this BC journey. May God continue to bless you for all your good deeds.

I want to get your help with implant sizing. I had BMX with tissue expander placement in March 2016 (nipples removed as well). Thankfully, I did not need any radiation or chemo treatment. My tissue expander was filled to 200cc. I told my PS that I want to stay the same size or a little bigger. When we reached to 200cc, I told him to stop because I like the size I'm at. Prior to BMX, I wore a size 32A push up bra from Victoria Secret. I've always been small, and longed for a bigger breasts. 😀 It's unfortunate that I can get what I want now because of BC, I guess I'll make the most out of it.

My tissue expander is Allergan 133SV-11-T with 200cc capacity. I'm 50 years old with no children, 5'3", weighs 110 lbs with rib cage measurement of 27". With the current tissue expander, I'm wearing a size 34B wireless bra (some brands are slightly loose, but some fit very well). I like my current size now but I won't mind getting slightly bigger. My PS uses Allergan, Sientra and Inspira. The last time I spoke to my PS was at my last filling and he told me that it's up to me how big I want to be. We never spoke about a brand but he mentioned that he will use a gel implant. I really don't know what it means. He also mentioned that he will do lipofilling from my tummy.I'm scheduled to see him for my pre-op this Wednesday. My exchange surgery is scheduled for the following week, 6/23/16.

What do you think will be the size I should aim for? What questions do I need to ask my PS for my pre-op? Any help or opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

• new__me
    new__me Member Posts: 53

AZ85048, i notice you are a DES daughter. Have you had any issues due to exposure? You can private message me. I had a very tiny misshapened uterus discovered when i underwent hysterectomy

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027

Good morning whippetmom and All.

I have a strang question to ask...

If I fill my TEs to the size I'd like but the implant is going to look smaller than the TE, should I over fill my TE to get the actual size implants I'd like? If my TE is filled to 600cc maybe have 700cc implants placed to be the size I want?

Thank you for helping so manyfacing our BC journey. You are a God send to all of us!

• whippetmom
    TampaWhit:

I would talk to your plastic surgeon about the brand and style of implants he uses. Ask your PS what style and size of tissue expander he/she plans to use. I think that eventually exchanging out (after tissue expanders) to implants in the 450 cc to 550 cc range would be appropriate for your frame. All of this obviously depending on your skin integrity-the size of your native breasts currently, and your future desired size.
  • whippetmom

Sheree66:

I would suggest Allergan Style 20 smooth silicone rounds - 300 ccs or 325 ccs. Your TE dimensions: 11.0 wide and 4.7 cm projection. Implants: 300 ccs: 10.9 cm width and 4.5 cm projection. 325 ccs: 11.2 cm width and 4.6 cm projection. Your PS can get you where you need to be with either volume. Err on the larger side, skin integrity permitting.
  • whippetmom

WenchLori:

Until we know what size tissue expanders your PS intends to use, that is a question I cannot answer. Find out by calling the doctor's office and asking what style and size of TEs he has ordered for your surgery. This should be documented in the chart.

• WenchLori

Thank you whippetmom, I will call first thing in the morning

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

AS YOU LOSE WEIGHT, THE IMPLANTS WILL APPEAR LARGER ON YOUR CHEST WALL. Your cup size goes UP as you lose abdominal girth and as you lose the adipose tissue around your ribcage. So your bra band size goes down and your cup size increases. Losing belly weight is a major factor!

Winking

Whippetmom - you KNEW I'd have to chime in on this one...

Brief history: Original Girls were 42DDD, dense, fibrocystic, and drooped to my waist. At the time of BC dx (September 2011) I was 5'5" and weighed 204 pounds. I chose BMX with immediate (TE) recon. Because of my size, the PS placed what he thought were the appropriate TEs (I think they were 800+ccs).

However, after surgery, my MO convinced me that I needed to lose the belly fat in order to reduce the amount of estrogen my body was producing. (Even after menopause and hysterectomy I was 100% ER+) So I went on a medically supervised diet and lost 60 pounds. When I discussed this with the PS he immediately quit the fills (I was already around 600ccs) and said to wait until I had reached my weight loss goals before we proceeded with anything further.

600ccs sounds big when you read how much other women are getting in their TEs. But they seem oh-so-tiny and flat when you have, um, a generous amount of abdominal fat just below them.

When I was nearly to my weight loss goal, I went back to the PS. He opened up my gown to examine my TEs and said "WHOA! They look HUGE!" Uh, yeah, they did.

Thanks to Whippetmom's incredible expertise, I ended up getting 700cc high profile saline implants, AND lateral capsulorraphies to reduce the giant pockets that been created at the time of BMX. Initially, the PS said he would not do this, as it could cause complications, but I told him that if my new boobs slipped into my armpits every time I was on my back, I would hound him forever. Thankfully, he did this very necessary procedure at the time of my exchange.

The 700s were perfect for me, and I found that I could even wear some of my pre-BC bras. But I also felt many times that they were just heavy, and felt better with a bra.

Now, sadly, I have gained back much of the weight. Long story, but several other health issues cut into my ability to exercise. Because I lost the weight slowly, I was never faced with needing skin-reduction surgery like they do on Biggest Loser. However, I do know that my skin is EXTREMELY stretchy, as my BMX scars are now almost down to the IMF. And - my implants no longer look as big as they did when I was slimmer.

I do believe there is a revision in my future, but I have to get back to my target weight first.

If any of you are planning to lose weight, PLEASE consider this before you have your surgery, and inform your PS. it makes a huge difference as to how he or she plans to create the pockets for the specific future implant already in their mind.

p.s. Miss ya, Ms. D!!!! Hug

• Sheree66
    Sheree66 Member Posts: 11

Thanks Whippetmom!

• WenchLori

Whippetmom, I called my PS this morning and asked him about the type/size/measurements of the TEs he will be using. He said he uses Mentor TEs and at this time he will be using 650cc to 800cc but not sure of the exact measurements as he needs to see what all is going on with my present implants and pockets. He said he's leaning towards a 700cc high profile mentor implant but we have plenty of time to decide all that layer. I wish I had more information for you. He did say he'd make sure I get exactly what I want by the time all is said and done. I love my PS he makes me laugh!

Thank you for all ofyour help, it is very much appreciated!

• Ringelle
    Ringelle Member Posts: 175

The PS I've been working with for the past year has retired and I met my new PS today. My exchange is scheduled for July 14. My first PS seemed to know me so well and when it came to expansion and size and what I wanted. I'm sure the new PS will be fine I just don't know him like I did the other. What concerns me is that neither have talked size of implants with me. The practice uses Mentor silicone, memory gel and high cohesive. The first PS said he would have used highly cohesive. New PS says he will determine what is best at the time of surgery. Both have told me not to get hung up on numbers.Is this a normal process not to have any idea what style or approximate "goal" size of implants?

• Alex276
    Alex276 Member Posts: 17

What would you recommend for me? I would like to have silicone implants and understand that the max is 800cc. My Stats are.....5'5, 190lb, and ribs are 35 inches. Before surgery I was a 36DDD and very droopy. I had a double mastectomy with Mentor CPX medium height 450cc tissue expanders placed at the same time. I do not have to have radiation and I'm boarderline for chemo and I'm choosing to not do it and opt for ovary suppression. What size would your recommend? I'd like to be a close to my old size and perky as possible. That's the only bright side of all this is that I got rid of my "droopy old lady boobs"

• Kristen3_0
    Kristen3_0 Member Posts: 4

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Kristen

• AnnHB
    AnnHB Member Posts: 3

hi I'm new and wanting your advice.

I am 5'2-3. 125 lbs.

Ribcage under bra line 31 inches I have expanders called mentor texp110rh. 300cc

I wore 34 b-c depending on which bra and would like to be fuller sized but not over a c with my reconstruction.

I have just started the filling process and won't be having exchange until September so trying to get input on a good size for me. I work out a lot and am curvy. My ps will put the implant over the muscle. I've looked at a lot of photos but wonder your advice on a good size that won't be too big or too small. They took 211 grams from each side in the mastectomy. also I had skin and nipple sparing mastectomy and my ps likes to use round rather than teardrop shaped implants

Thanks!

• AnnHB
      AnnHB Member Posts: 3

also I had skin and nipple sparing mastectomy and my ps likes to use round rather than teardrop shaped implants

• whippetmom
      Ringelle. I would get "hung up on numbers". I would want to know the range he is considering and the style he is considering. Plastic surgeons always write down the style and volume of the implants Lakeland to try out in surgery and this is recorded in the patient's chart. So you could call the nurse and ask her what is recorded in the chart. This might not even be entered until a few weeks before surgery or even at the time of the preop. But you have a right to know.
    • whippetmom
      Alex276

Yes, 800 ccs in a high profile or even extra full projection style implant. Allergan or Mentor. Natrelle Inspira TSX would be a good option also. You might only need 750 ccs in that brand/style. It has the most projection over anything else.