Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Elise: PM me the name of your surgeon. I am in LA county also.

• whippetmom

Sorry beanybaby.....you have been in and out by now. What did you find out?

• Bird-of-light
    Bird-of-light Member Posts: 143

Whippetmom,

I am approaching my exchange and am ready for your help. I currently weigh 150. Before cancer (March), I weighed 160. I dropped to 143 by June, but seemed to have leveled off at 150 over the last few months. My rib cage under my TEs is 30.5. Style of TE - Natrelle 133 MX-13-T. Height - 5' 7". I had a nipple sparing mastectomy, and I have a little bit of loose skin, but I am filled to 420 and have the option of another fill before surgery. I am unsure if going a tad bigger will help with the skin and if I want to go any bigger. I am lucky with how things look so far. I plan to ask for a pocket revision on the right side because the TE is closer to my armpit and seems to have rotated a little. Ideally, I would love the 45/55 pole ratio (with cleavage), but I don't know what is possible. My PS offers Mentor, Allergan, and Sientra.

Thank you for your service to so many women. You are a blessing.

Bird-of-light

• Bird-of-light

Tampa - what kind of scar cream? My PS said I wouldn't need it, and so I have done nothing. I also had a nipple sparing BMX, but the top ofmy right nipple died off. It is half the size of my left :(. You are lucky!

• whippetmom

bird-of-light

Allergan Natrelle "Inspira" implants - SRX - 545 ccs, 560 ccs or 580 ccs. It all depends on which implant will best give you as snug a pocket as possible. Your TEs pretty accurately correspond with 545 ccs or 560 ccs, but given that loose skin, three sizes in the OR would be nice.

• Bird-of-light

You rock! Is the last fill necessary?

Bird

• beanybaby
    beanybaby Member Posts: 6

PS is recommending 300cc anatomical implant with fat grafting. I questioned him about rotation issues and he says he does not have them. I told him I did not want the "fake boob(foob)" look and that I wanted them to look similar to the originals. What do you think

• Sweetbea
    Sweetbea Member Posts: 4

Whippetmom - thanks for the input. Had last fill so MZ-12 TEs have about 460cc in each. Seem huge but sitting very high so hard to judge. She first said anatomical but now is thinking Inspira, didn't mention size or projection. So tired of the TEs, very uncomforable and too wide so my arms brush against them. I'm 5'1", 130 lbs with ribcage of 31". Pre cancer was 34C. Recommendation on the Inspiras? Also, how long is typical to wait for exchange? Skin is healing well so originally was told 8 weeks but now may be able to do 6. I don't want to rush it but very anxious to get these rock hard expanders out. Plus I'll still need to have one fipple constructed so assume that will be a couple more months of waiting. Is it common to get fat grafting? PS hasn't mentioned yet. I had the alloderm netting so maybe it won't be necessary? Wouldn't mind losing a couple of saddlebags to fill things in. :-)

• whippetmom
    Bird-of-light: I cannot tell you that. Only your PS can tell you what is needed in this regard. But if you have sufficient skin, it might be that no further filling is required.
  • whippetmom

Sweetbea:

If Inspira: SRF 415 ccs or 450 ccs or SRX 445 ccs or possibly 470 ccs. It depends on the availability of your skin flaps for closure over the extra full projection option - if the SRX style is used. Fat graft transfer is not used unless necessary, and then some plastic surgeons do not do it at all. It is up to your PS.

Personally, I would wait at least 8 weeks after the last fill for the exchange

• mom2allboys
    mom2allboys Member Posts: 6

I am just about done with fills, and I am meeting with my PS on Thursday to discuss implant sizing and type. I would appreciate your opinion.

Here's my info:

I'm 5'1", 120 lb, 29-30" ribcage circumference.

I currently have Natrelle/Allergan 133MV-12-T TEs, recommended max volume is 300 ccs (I currently have them filled to 350 ccs).

Prior to my mastectomy, I was wearing a 32B, but I was hoping/planning to be a little larger after the implants (like 1 cup size bigger).

My PS prefers the anatomical/gummy bear implants (so do I). I do have a slightly concaved chest wall and a large space between my breasts and was hoping to have some cleavage with the implants. I assume there will be some "movement" once I have the permanent implants (as opposed to the expanders which don't move at all. If so, I can achieve some cleavage with a bra.

Thanks!

• meg2016
    meg2016 Member Posts: 188

whippetmom I talked to my PS about your recommendation of Allergan Natrelle Inspira implants - SRX - 650 ccs. She said we can see how the skin does through radiation. She said it's not in as good of shape as we need, she would recommend going to the one with full projection rather than extra full, and then there is another one down from that one which would be the last resort if my skin is in poor shape. Does this seem like the right approach if my skin isn't able to withstand the extra full? Or should I consider a different implant? My surgeon says has been doing many of this particular implant in the full-projection style recently and people have been quite happy with them. Thanks again for your help!

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

I hope you can help me.  I am lost about my expansion and what size implants I want.   I am 5 feet tall and weigh 135 pounds.  My rib cage is 30 inches.  I have Mentor CPX4 with Suture Tabs, Medium Height, Style 9200 expanders.  Currently I am expanded to 525cc.  I was a 38G bra size before my bi lateral mastectomy on 12 July 2016.  I do not want to be that large ever again.  At this point, my implants will be Mentor or Allergan but I don't knw any more information than that.  I will not have my implants until I finish my Herceptin, Texotere, Carboplatin  chemotherapy in late December 2016 and start only the Herceptin chemotherapy.  I have search the Internet to research what a D cup would be and cannot find an answer. I think I want to be a D cup.  My Plastic Surgeon reminds me that I petite and not to be too big.  Thank you for any help you can render.  Coach Vicky

• whippetmom
    Mom2allboys:

Personally, I would prefer the Allergan Natrelle Inspira implants for you. I think with your chest wall anomaly (might be pectus excavatum?) you need an implant with a higher fill level and you need the additional projection. If you go with the anatomicals, they are pretty rigid and immovable - considering what you want to achieve with some enhanced cleavage. If you do go with anatomicals, you need a MX style, so that you can gain the needed projection. This would be a 410-MX - 325 or 370 gms. In the Inspira, SRX - 445 ccs or SRF - 385 ccs. In round implants - it generally (nearly always with Allergan MV style) takes 100 plus ccs to approximate what you have in dimensions with the TEs.
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560

Hi Coachvicky!

Someone will be by shortly to weigh in on your post, but we just wanted to stop by to say hi and welcome to our incredible Community. We hope you find our boards a very helpful, supportive resource!

Let us know if you need anything at all.

--The Mods

• whippetmom

meg2016: The SRF style in Inspira is absolutely fine. I agree about the skin coverage issue.

• whippetmom

coachvicky:

What is the volume of your TEs?

Catalog #Vol.WidthHeightProj.
    3549211275 cc10.7 cm9.3 cm6.2 cm
    3549212350 cc11.7 cm10 cm6.6 cm
    3549213450 cc12.7 cm10.8 cm7 cm
    3549214550 cc13.5 cm11.7 cm7.4 cm
    3549215650 cc14.6 cm12.6 cm7.6 cm
    3549216800 cc15.6 cm
  • whippetmom

imageOkay, well that was one hot mess.

Here are your volume choices coachvicky:

• coachvicky

My expanders are 550.  I am 525 right now. I can overfill my sugeon's office said I could go to 625. What say you?

• whippetmom

coachvicky:

I would go with Allergan Inspira, quite honestly. SRX - 615 ccs. Here is the question though: With a 30 inch ribcage you were wearing a 38 band bra? You should have been in a 34 band size with a 30 inch ribcage. So I think you also could use 650 ccs in the SRX Inspira. You would likely not need any extra fill. Tell your PS you do not want droopy breasts! If you have large skin flaps, you need to sufficiently fill up the skin envelope.

• coachvicky

Thank you. I now feel empowered for the conversation with my Plastic Surgeon!

Coach Vicky

• coachvicky

I forgot to share that I have lost 40 pounds thus the difference in my rib cage dimensions.

Thank you, again.

Coach Vicky

• whippetmom

coachvicky: Well that explains the former bra size!! 👍

• Yaniza
    Yaniza Member Posts: 83

Maybe in the light of the last few posts I could ask again how the rib cage measurement relates to the diameter of the implant if the rib cage measurement does actually change with weight gain and weight loss?

• Yaniza
    Yaniza Member Posts: 83

Maybe in the light of the last few posts I could ask again how the rib cage measurement relates to the diameter of the implant if the rib cage measurement does actually change with weight gain and weight loss?

• whippetmom

Yaniza: As you lose weight, your ribcage decreases and your adipose tissue decreases. The implants do not decrease in volume - you do not lose any fat because there is no longer connective tissue or fat - like your native breasts would have) and so the implants appear larger on the chest wall with weight loss. I just do not know how to explain it any better than this. I lost weight and went from a 34 DD to a 32 F.

But when I ask for ribcage measurements, I have in my head a picture of which implant width would be appropriate for that ribcage measurement. If you have a 35 inch ribcage circumference, a 12.0 cm width/circumference implant would be too narrow. But it would not be too narrow for a 28 inch to 30inch ribcage circumference.

• whippetmom

By the way....those bra sizes sound huge, I know. But these are European bras and European bras are sized differently. Also, the reconstructed/augmented breast is a different shape than a native breast and so it typically always requires a larger cup size - more so with round implants, not anatomicals.In clothing, I look like a "D" cup.

• Journey2014
    Journey2014 Member Posts: 65

Whippetmom,

In your own opinion, is it better to have the ideal weight prior the final exchange? Does your body weight or body size affect the size of the implants that the plastic surgeon will recommend for me to use or have?

• whippetmom

Journey: It would be good to lose weight (if you intend to do so anyway) while maintaining a good healthy diet. There is no rush to have the exchange surgery, unless you need to have it completed before the new year for insurance purposes. But you do not need to reach your "ideal" weight prior to the exchange. Don't make yourself crazy about this. It needs to be a realistic goal which you will maintain for a lifetime, so don't hasten to get to the finish line weight-wise.
  • Journey2014
    Journey2014 Member Posts: 65

Whippetmom,

That is my plan to lose weight before my exchange, right now I am 141 lbs. and I am only 5 foot. I am hoping to loose at least 20 lbs. I just had my lat dorsi surgery last week and still recuperating. Not being able tobw work out makes me feel more lousy and feels fat.

Just in case I am still kinda heavy by the time of my final exchange surgery and when I lose the weight does it means I will have loose skin around my chest area