Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• willa216
    willa216 Member Posts: 162

Hi Renee:

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your advice.

I'm so sorry you're unhappy right now with the 410s. I don't know much about what happens with settling after surgery. I had direct to saline, over the muscle, so my PS just filled until I said enough. A very small fill since like you I want to be saggy and small ;)

I hope you'll feel much happier once you have some time with your implants - hopefully others will chime in about what you might expect. It's hard not to fret - I know. Have you had a chance to talk to your PS?

Again, I hope you get some answers and feel more comfortable in the coming days.
  • minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306

Just a note - I have had my Allergan 410s for 5 years and I still like them very much.

• LuckyLady17
    LuckyLady17 Member Posts: 11

So last Friday I saw my plastic surgeon and I am so glad I did. She was running behind and I have been so distraught with the thought of my upcoming exchange and if the size will be like my expanders that I haven't been sleeping. I just want this to be my last major surgery and I want it to be done right. I thank you whippetmom for having this forum. The discussion here is what led me back to seeing her again before the swap. She spent extra time with me explaining how to attain my goals. See I have absolutely no extra fat or anything to disguise my implants whichever ones I choose. I wanted to go with the SRX because the projection would match my expanders without being too wide but as she pointed out my expanders look like balls on my chest and that is what I told her in the beginning that I really wanted to avoid. She says she can always do some fat grafting later to help give it a more natural look but there's not enough fat to hide balls on my chest so we have to be careful about the choice. It's such a stressful thing trying to recreate a part of your body. I'm just so grateful for her patience and understanding. So after much discussion and looking at my options for implant styles we are going with the Inspira SRF instead of her originally suggested 500cc Style 20 and my proposed SRX. She will bring in a couple of sizes but is thinking the SRF 560 will get us where I want to be with fullness without looking too fake. She has to do a lot of adjustments with my left pocket as the expander drifted down and out because of a seroma I had after the drains were taken out so I anticipate being very sore but hopefully happy with the outcome. My exchange surgery is a week from today. I'll keep you posted as to how it turns out. Thanks for all the info whippetmom and everyone for sharing their stories!

• Smithhhh
    Smithhhh Member Posts: 1

I had a mastectomy on my right breast. I chose the skin sparing method which was a flop. After a couple days, cchanging the bandage I saw it was dark and dreadful. We used Flamizine but to no avail the nipple had to be removed. After 3.5 weeks my drain is fianally at 22.5 a day. My plastic surgeon said less than 20ml a day for two consecutive days then I can have them removed. My dilemma is I'm isolated, and I made an appointment for tomorrow to have them removed. Im afraid that its going to be painful to pull them out. And that it may be too early? I'm just tired of them and worried when they are finally less than 20 it will be during the holidays and nobody will be open. But seriously, did ot hurt to remove?

• minustwo

Smith - It would be smart to leave your drains in as long as the doc recommends. A few days of being uncomfortable beats fluid backing up inside your body. I know they are a pain, but don't rush it. I don't remember the removal being especially painful, just weird.

• LuckyLady17
    LuckyLady17 Member Posts: 11

Smith - As someone who just had to deal with a seroma, I would advise to keep the drains in as long as you need to. I know it's uncomfortable and it sucks. I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate tissue expander insertion. I had the left drain out before the right, which isn't what I wanted because the right one was causing so much pain, but I had absolutely no drainage from the left so she removed it. However, by the time of my appointment the next week to have the right one removed the left side had developed a seroma. So with each fill of the expander I had to have fluid drained from the seroma. Not painful but the seroma did cause my left expander to migrate down and out. Honestly, I would keep them in as long as necessary and I wouldn't worry about the removal of the drain. It feels like heaven to have them gone and I didn't feel a thing when she pulled either of them out, absolutely nothing, just complete relief from whatever pressure it was causing, especially on my right, which happened to be my lymph node resection side. Just my experience. Hope it helps.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

ReneeCA:

Could you please send me a private message with a photo so that I can see what you are talking about? It sounds like a placement issue and yes, possibly the wrong height of implant for your frame. The dreaded tall height anatomical.
  • whippetmom

Willa: No, the anatomical does not necessarily look more natural than a smooth silicone round. Your PS is choosing a very small Inspira implant. She has intentionally created sufficient expansion to give you a more natural look with some natural droop, once she inserts the implant. It sounds fine to me. That is a very small implant, so she is adhering to your wishes!
  • whippetmom

Renee; You did not get what you asked for. That is clear. You might need to see someone else for another opinion. Are you in California? I have names, when you message me.
  • whippetmom

Smithhh...You have been given good advice by MT and LL. You could take an Aleve WHEN the drains come out. I sort of panicked about the drain removal also. (I am a weenie). So the PS said, "Okay, I am going to count to three and then pull them out." I said, "okay", steeling myself against the moment she said THREE. But she said "ONE" and then pulled them out. I was in shock and the shock took the place of any pain, which I do not recall feeling, oddly enough.
  • willa216
    willa216 Member Posts: 162

Whippetmom - Thank you for your thoughts on Inspira. I did have a follow up call with my PS that was very reassuring, so your comments just add to that comfort level.

Smithh - I was super nervous about drain removal because they were causing a lot of pain. But my experience was exactly the same as Whippetmom's - even down to the counting issue:) The sensation with removal felt similar to what you might feel if were to run your hand very quickly over a pebbly surface - it was definitely a sensation but not painful, and lightening fast.

Best wishes to everyone. Take good care.

• Keiki
    Keiki Member Posts: 32
    Whippetmom and all:

Just returned from EX post op. I love my breasts! They are not perfect, but are symmetrical, well placed and soft. WM: your comments were taken to heart and excellent, thanks so much.
    Interesting facts: had 133MX 13T expanders, 500 filled to 600, implants are Inspira 750 SRX! WOW. That's 14.5 wide with 6.7 projection. I have 31" ribs, and wide spaced breasts but they look great. After all my agonizing I don't understand but don't care about the numbers.
    Cancer free and new boobs for Christmas, what a gift.
    Best wishes to all of you.

• Nanpop
    Nanpop Member Posts: 12

Hi,

I had a bilateral mx. I was a 34 f I now have Natrelle style 133 TE. REF NUMBER 133 MV-15-t. They can fill to 600 cc but are only filled to 450 cc. The doctor filled them up during the initial surgery. Never had anything added.

I am 110 pounds. Rib cage is 30. I am 5'3.

I want to remain small. Like 34 b.

They were placed on October 5 2016.

I noticed that when I open a jar or flex my muscle you can see the contour of my muscle.

Is this normal?

I was thinking of a diep flap procedure. Will I be able to do this during reconstruction. I don't want inserts. What else can I do? I want to be as natural as possible.

The doctor used alloderm. I feel like I'm in an iron cage.

Is this all normal

• minustwo

Nanpop - to get lots of information & feed back about your expanders, try Exchange City thread (link below) or TE Primer.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

To get feedback from Whippetmom about implants, please read the entire header and put all your stats in one post so she can quickly review.

• whippetmom

Nanpop:

Your tissue expanders are pretty wide for your frame. I feel that your PS should narrow the pocket and use nothing wider than a 14,0 cm wide implant. You should have discussed a DIEP with your PS previously. Does your PS know that you are considering a DIEP? That said, based on your height/weight, it does not sound as though you would have sufficient tissue for a DIEP. You can get a perfectly natural look with implants. You are going to need pocket revisions....perhaps an Inspira SRF or SRM. Something in the 450 cc to 500 cc range. Or a moderate height Allergan Style 15 in the mid 400 cc range I just am concerned that you and your PS are not on the same page, based on the size of the tissue expander he chose for you. Please discuss your desires to remain on the smaller side with your PS. Do the TEs seem wide on your chest wall? I

• whippetmom

Keiki: So happy that you are happy!!! ThumbsUp

• Keiki

Whippetmom:

But Inspiras 750? I will confirm at next appt 1/5. I'm squished from bra but kinda buxom.

I have access now to photos so will document the Duoderm procedure soon.

Happy New Year to all.

• Keiki

Nanpop:

Everything is normal, even having second thoughts! I'm a similar size, see posts,above. With expanders I had big divots when unscrewing, etc but with implants, not so much. I can't see any but testing for response to you, I can flex and feel edge. I have been told they will setttle and improve. The softness and being under the muscle creates a very natural transition.

Best friend just had DIEP. Some gals have boob envy, wishing they had gone bigger or different shape. I had flap envy, could have used some tummy work. DIEP is not as easy. I'm happy with my decision, just have to get back to yoga.

Everyone has a different story. Different cancer, body, lifestyle, emotional needs, timing issues. This is your story.

You're almost home free with the expanders! When is your exchange scheduled? Whippetmom gives best implant advice,

I had communication issues with my PS, and just to be sure we understood each other, I showed up day of exchange with photos taken off the internet. I didn't want cleavage, showed spacing between breasts, not enough, too much, just right. I wanted a little ptosis to be sure incisions were covered, showed example of final expectation. I was afraid she would be offended. She laughed and asked to keep it with her. A lot of my angst was lack of communication.(She probably used photo sheet for OCD patient training with her Residents. Ha!)

I'm excited for you, can't wait to hear about your exchange! Happy New Year.

• whippetmom

Nanpop: The "implant animation" or "pectoral animation" is to be expected in nearly all instances. It does ameliorate - lessen - with time. It either lessens or you get used to it. I could not (and would never advise) doing push ups the first year after the exchange. It is too easy to displace the implants laterally with too much pectoral animation. In fact, I was very careful for two years. Now, in my eighth year, I can do full push ups. I CAN, but I still do not and I would advise you just find different exercises. Just avoid putting too much pressure on the pectoral musculature. Like digging in a carton for ice cream. Do not dig in a carton for ice cream. You will benefit in more ways than one. Winking

• whippetmom

Keiki: You are the one who showed your PS "boob" photos! Don't blame me! LOL

• Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470

Whippetmom, I'm curious..when you told Nanpop that you do not advise doing push ups, for an extended period, after exchange, is that across the board or do you suggest that for particular situations?

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    Whippetmom - I'm also curious about your reply to Nanpop. I had my exchange surgery 2 months ago. It was my fourth surgery this year and my arms have gotten very flabby from lack of exercise. I just started back to the gym to try to get back in shape for skiing. Does anyone have suggestions for building muscle back in my arms without putting too much pressure on my pecs?
  • Keiki

What are the symptoms of implant rotating? Why does this happen?

• whippetmom

Keiki: Your implants will not rotate. Anatomical implants have the risk of rotation.

• whippetmom
    There are many upper body exercises to strengthen and tone biceps and triceps, which do not involve over stressing the pectorals, i.e., causing them to "animate" and contract. I do dumb bell curls, kettle bell swinging, hold a 10 lb weight in front of my chest and press outward, use a rubber band to stand on and provide resistance as I pull the handles over, upward and curl with the bands. Ask your gym instructor to help you come up with a plan that does not involve over taxing the pectorals. If you do an exercise and the implants animate and distort, don't do that exercise.
  • Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470

Thank you, Whippetmom, for the helpful exercise info!!

BTW, I love kettlebells! 😃

• SeattleBound
    SeattleBound Member Posts: 40

whippetmom!

My heart skipped a beat seeing you posted about capsular contracture and fat grafting. I have such faith in your expertise, I wanted to ask you first for guidance. Your blog provided such reassurance during my early difficulty - reading others comments and questions and your answers.

I have developed capsular contracture over the last 4-6 weeks on my left, and my right implant has migrated toward my armpit. Oh my gosh! Who ever thinks these things will happen?

1) Do you know of an excellent surgeon who specializes in capsular contracture repair or a place on this site to find other women's reviews?

2) Research on recurrence and/or failure of fat grafting and of capsilectomy with implant replacement is incredibly hard to find. Do you have any references and/or can you refer me to another excellent blog topic/blogger like yourself here? I love my small C foobs and want to keep the same size and like every woman, I hope my next surgery is my last!

3) Is there an approach that more often fixes these issues without repetitive subsequent surgeries?

Also, why don't surgeons start out using Alloderm or other means of creating a sling or internal bra when there seems to be evidence these can reduce implant migration, capsular contraction and infection rates?

Since I last posted, here is the update:

I had exchange surgery in August with a new PS - I finally changed with encouragement and the original surgeon was very upset, according to my wonderful breast surgeon. I was initially so happy with the results - because of a hematoma and the original PS not being able to get the expander up under my pectoralis muscle on the right, I knew there would be a little difference in fullness on top, but the PS was able to make my spared nipples pretty even horizontally. He also revised keyloid (sp?) scars which are significantly improved, but still occurred.By October, I began feeling my new foobs were really my breasts! The PS released me to return in 6 months. Then almost immediately, I felt changes in both breasts.

• SeattleBound
    SeattleBound Member Posts: 40

whippetmom!

My heart skipped a beat seeing you posted about capsular contracture and fat grafting. I have such faith in your expertise, I wanted to ask you first for guidance. Your blog provided such reassurance during my early difficulty - reading others comments and questions and your answers.

I have developed capsular contracture over the last 4-6 weeks on my left, and my right implant has migrated toward my armpit. Oh my gosh! Who ever thinks these things will happen?

1) Do you know of an excellent surgeon who specializes in capsular contracture repair or a place on this site to find other women's reviews?

2) Research on recurrence and/or failure of fat grafting and of capsilectomy with implant replacement is incredibly hard to find. Do you have any references and/or can you refer me to another excellent blog topic/blogger like yourself here? I love my small C foobs and want to keep the same size and like every woman, I hope my next surgery is my last!

3) Is there an approach that more often fixes these issues without repetitive subsequent surgeries?

Also, why don't surgeons start out using Alloderm or other means of creating a sling or internal bra when there seems to be evidence these can reduce implant migration, capsular contraction and infection rates?

Since I last posted, here is the update:

I had exchange surgery in August with a new PS - I finally changed with encouragement and the original surgeon was very upset, according to my wonderful breast surgeon. I was initially so happy with the results - because of a hematoma and the original PS not being able to get the expander up under my pectoralis muscle on the right, I knew there would be a little difference in fullness on top, but the PS was able to make my spared nipples pretty even horizontally. He also revised keyloid (sp?) scars which are significantly improved, but still occurred.By October, I began feeling my new foobs were really my breasts! The PS released me to return in 6 months. Then almost immediately, I felt changes in both breasts.

• MrsB88
    MrsB88 Member Posts: 77

SeattleBound - I'm sure Whippetmom will respond soon but I wanted to share my experience in case it helps. 1st - you seem to like the most recent PS so perhaps you could call & explain these issues & have him/her examine you first. In other words, give the doc the opportunity to see what's going on & devise a solution. 2nd - if you're not comfortable seeing him/her again, or don't like the recommended solution, you can look up on Google highly rated breast reconstruction revision PS's in your area. Of course, insurance may also play a part in who might do a revision but most honorable PS's will provide a free consult. Hope this helps until Whippetmom arrives to save the day!