Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Elkay7
    Elkay7 Member Posts: 95

Whippetmom - Thank you for the information. I will get filled to 800 CCs! I am hoping that between 625 and 800 there will be a noticeable difference!

I will keep you posted!

Elkay

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Elkay: I just want to state though that it is not always necessary or good to overfill too much, especially if you had fairly large breasts and quite a bit of skin availability. You want as snug as possible a pocket for the implant, so you might not need to overfill to 800 ccs. You do not need a TE with 800 ccs in order to exchange to a 800 cc implant. By example: My tissues expanders were 400 cc TEs, which were overfilled to 425 ccs. My implants are 550 ccs.
  • Elkay7
    Elkay7 Member Posts: 95

Whippetmom - Thank you again for the information. I will discuss all of this with my PS. I love my PS and I am confident that he will make recommendations based on what's best for me.

I will keep you posted.

Elkay

• minuteatatime
    minuteatatime Member Posts: 68

Hi Whippetmom,

First I want to say thank you for all you do for those of us going through this. Your time and knowledge sharing are greatly appreciated.

I had a nipple sparing double mastectomy with TE placement in May. They are 350 Mentor medium height. I am 5'7", 132 lbs and my ribcage measurement is 29and 1/2 at the braband. My PS uses exclusively Mentor Smooth Round implants. My pre-mastectomy bra size (per Nordstrom measurement) was 32B however I was a small, not full B, with all my fullness in the lower breast/almost none in upper (in fact, until that bra fitting I always wore a 34A). I would like to be a fuller B cup but not too much bigger . Currently I am filled to 175 on left and 125 on right (my right mastectomy was done 3 weeks after my left, so everything is still catching up on the right). My PS does like to overfill. He thought we would be done with just a few more fills and says he judges mostly by how it looks and when I'm happy with it. But seems hard to know based on that bc of overfilling and shape of TEs vs implants. How will I know when is best? Would love to get your advice. I want a bit more size than before but not a ton.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jennifer

• whippetmom
    Jennifer: Wait until you are filled to 350 ccs. You will take on more shape at that point. I think probably implants, Mentor high profile smooth rounds, around 450 ccs, would be good. But wait until you are at 350 ccs and then come back and let's talk about it.
  • minuteatatime
    minuteatatime Member Posts: 68

Whippetmom, that sounds HUGE! I'm already not that small looking compared to my former size at only about 175 and my doctor wasn't planning to fill my TEs to capacity. I think I may have been confusing when I said he likes to overfill--I meant overfill after we reach a place that looks like the right size, not overfill based on full capacity.

Tomorrow I have another fill and I am going to ask to fill an additional 80-90 in left and 100 in right so I'll be close to 250. Will see how it looks and report back.

• whippetmom

Jennifer....Okay then - 350 ccs to 375 ccs Mentor high profile smooth rounds. Your TEs are 11.7 cm wide and 10 cm projection. Even at 200 ccs fill, the shell of your TEs would be 11.7 cm projection and around 8.0 cm projection.

350 ccs in implants will be 11.7 cm wide and 4.8 cm projection. You will be slighlysmaller than your TEs, but it sounds like that is what you would prefer.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509

Whippetmom, so I had my TE surgery Monday, I have Natrelle 133MX-12-T 400cc. 300cc's was put in during surgery and everything feels really good. Skin doesn't feel too tight or stretched yet. I had skin and nip sparing BMX in Dec. so I'm sure that helps. Since I am doing this inbetween chemo and rads we will try to fill as quickly as possible and Dr said we would try to add 160cc's at my 2 week post op appt if possible and then maybe 60cc's more on the next appt. My RO said he would re-map during rads if I needed any fills during treatment. Luckily my RO and PS are communicating during this. PS also said he would use the highest profile implant during exchange. A full C is what we're aiming for.

Seems a little smaller than you suggested but not too far off. Thanks again for your help and suggestions. What I've learned here really helps my vocabulary and knowledge which helps when I talk with my PS.

Thanks for all of your help!! 😃

• burner
    burner Member Posts: 32

Just chiming in again here to say thanks to Whippetmom. I'm overfilled now to 500cc on my mastectomy side and PS has a few types of 550cc implants. I think I will be very pleased post-exchange and wanted to say thanks again for helping me communicate more precisely with my PS!!!

• whippetmom

burner....You are most welcome

• LettyF
    LettyF Member Posts: 39

Good Morning,

I'm new to this site but not necessarily to the process. I'm 52 and had bilateral mastectomy in 2/17 and expanders placed 5/17. I had 200ccs placed in TEXP140RH expanders at the time of surgery and have had three 100cc expansions (every two weeks) since. I'm scheduled for my fourth 100cc expansion tomorrow bringing me to 600ccs. I'm 5'4+" and weigh 147 lbs with a fairly wide chest. Prior to surgery I was a 34C. How many CCs do you anticipate me needing to get close to that. I know I'll never really have the projection I had before but is getting close a realistic goal? I look forward to hearing from you.

• LettyF

I thought I might mention as well, there was no skin/nipple sparring with my bilateral mastectomy and I had no radiation or traditional Chemo (Only Tamoxifen). If this is information you would need to reply.

• LettyF

I'm sorry, you may need this information as well... The TEXP140RH is a round, Mentor high-profile tissue expander. That's all I think. :0) I'll watch for your response.

• LibraGirl10
    LibraGirl10 Member Posts: 3

Hello! Thank you for all you do on this thread! I'm in need of some advice too, please.

I have very thin tissue on my right breast. Aggressive mastectomy and rads. I previously had gummy bear ultra high profile shaped implants. 625 on left, 555 on right. It looked aweful because of the size discrepancy. Developed an infection and lost both implants.

Started over in Jan with Lat Flap with skin paddles (both sides for symmetry, even though right side was only one that needed it)

Tissue expanders are Allegra 13Mv, 400 cc. Right side filled to 490, left at 500.

Surgeon is thing cohesive ultra high profile round in 600 cc range. About 100 cc less than what I'd hoped for.

I'm 5'1, 150#, 36" chest. Broad shoulders.

Previous bra size 36 D, but the top skin Flap is thin on cancer side, despite doing Lat Flap with skin paddles. I really feel too small but ps won't expand anymore because of thin skin.

What size/type of implant would be ideal? Any suggestions?

• Campbellx5
    Campbellx5 Member Posts: 4

Whippetmom, I had my bilateral NSM on Apr. 5, 2017. I had 400 cc implants prior to my diagnosis. I was a 34D. I really want to be at least the same size as before. I am 5'4", 125 lbs, 29" rib cage. My TE are Allergen 13MV-12-7 300cc. Just had my final fill yesterday, currently filled to 630cc. My PS uses Natrelle inspira. I am hoping for 600cc, but I don't want the "fake look". Do you think 600cc is possible? My exchange is scheduled for August 15th. I want to get this right the first time. I probably need to mention that I do have thin skin, and did have some healing issues after NSM as a result. Thank you for your help

• mssz
    mssz Member Posts: 5

hello

thx for all the help you are providing on this thread

mastectomy was may 15th

expanders are allergan 133fx

the doctor said the implant type will be depending on the stretching results,

he said we will stop filling when i see that the size is good by eye. and then he will overfill and extra 100 cc,

right now there is 350 cc on each side

i'm 5.2 , 144 pounds, rib cage is 33

pre mastectomy size 36c

right side is smaller than left and not stretching as well due to previous radiatoin on that side and tight skin,

doctor said when i tell him to stop at the left side he will continue on the right to try to get them to the same size

now at 350 i'm thinking the left side might be enough cause i'm worried the right one will cause us problems

what's your advice knowing i want something kinda small and aproppriate for my size like a b

thx a lot for all your help

• Sweet_Pea
    Sweet_Pea Member Posts: 90

Hi whippetmom and others!

I'm having a single mastectomy with reconstruction in the upcoming weeks, seeing my PS on Monday so I don't know if TEs or direct to implants. I think it won't be possible to save the nipple.

Height: 5'2"1/2

Weight: 160lbs.

Rib cage: 29 in.

Currently wearing: 34D (even though it really has no bearing)

I have yet to comment to the PS that I gained 32 pounds in 6 months this year, may be something hormonal, my gyno-onco is going to check it out, but this is where I'm at right now and have been for several months now. When I gain weight, I do it all over. I'm actually looking foward to not having that be the way it works once I have implants! Before, when I lost weight, I'd go down to a 32C but it looked like very, very little.

Anyway, I live in Spain and know the brand Chantelle that you mentioned!

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

• Twogirlsandaboy
    Twogirlsandaboy Member Posts: 1

hi whippetmom

I am going to be going through a double mastectomy in few weeks. I am looking for any suggestions on proper size for my body type after surgery. I am 5'6 108 and ribcage measures 28 inches. My pre baby bra size was a 32c, then during breastfeeding went up to a 32dd. My PS uses Naturelle implants. What would a suitable size without looking too big? Thanks alot

• whippetmom

LibraGirl:

I am concerned about pushing the envelope (literally and figuratively) on sizing with your history. 600 ccs in a Inspira extra full projection style implant sounds good to me. I would rather see you lose some weight (and then the implants are larger on the chest wall) than risk any further complications.

• whippetmom
    Campbellx5

Maintaining skin integrity trumps size. I think that if your PS can get you to 600 ccs, that should be quite sufficient. I was your size exactly 8 years ago, with 550 ccs high profile smooth silicone rounds. I wore 34DD bras (Freya, Chantelle). I lost 10 pounds and wear a 32E. So the whole notion of cup size - after MX - is a joke. 😉 High profile smooth rounds is what you want.
  • whippetmom

mssz:

What SIZE are your TEs? Not your fill level currently. Do you have a card with this information

• whippetmom

Sweet Pea

I think the conversion is wrong on your ribcage measurement, based on your height and weight. Or...do you have a narrow torso? In any event, I am glad you are looking into this mysterious weight gain. Please keep me posted on this. As far as implant sizing, I think you would be in a wide range with sizing, since you might return to your normal weight. I would think 500 ccs up to 650 ccs - but this depends on whether or not you have a direct to implant or TEs. I prefer TEs for better control of sizing. Also, TEs will afford you the time to explore the weight issues, and then you can adjust the sizing as needed. I think tissue expanders with at least 400 ccs to 500 ccs would be something to discuss.
  • whippetmom

twogirlsandaboy:

I think something in the 350 cc to 400 cc range would be good. I recommend smooth high profile silicone rounds.

• LettyF

Hello, I hope you can give me an approximation so I know what to expect after my expander to implant surgery. I'm 52 years old, 5'4" and weigh 147 pounds. I had a dbl mastectomy 2/17 (no skin/nipple sparing) and had tissue expanders 5/17. The expanders used were TEXP140RH and my previous bra size (before mastectomy) was 34C. I currently have 600ccs in and have two more 100cc fills (after vacation) scheduled for 8/8 & 8/21 then must wait one month till exchange surgery. What is the best implant to use to achieve the greatest projection as I obviously have a fairly wide chest? I look forward to hearing from you.

• whippetmom
    Letty:

A smooth round silicone implant with the highest projection in Mentor products, is the extra for projection style. But you would need 800 mL in that style, in order to meet the width and projection of your tissue expanders. I don't know that you need that much of an implant. If you can get your PS to use Allergan Inspira, you could exchange to a /SRX 650 ccs or 700 ccs.

• LettyF

Thank you for the feedback. I will look into these and speak with him. He's very well respected and highly recommended but when I try to talk to him he always says we are on the same page and that I'm getting close. He even made the comment that I needed to stay off the internet. I'm sure he gets tired of people trying to do his job for him but I'm just one of those people that wants to know the best and worse of what to expect and have all the details.

• whippetmom

letty

You have a right to know your options and if plastic surgeons will not allow you to bend their ear for even a nanosecond and answer your questions and give you requested information, well, stay on the Internet.
  • mssz
    mssz Member Posts: 5

whippetmom

i asked about the expander's size, it's 450/550

mastectomy was may 15th

expanders are allergan 133fx

the doctor said the implant type will be depending on the stretching results,

he said we will stop filling when i see that the size is good by eye. and then he will overfill and extra 100 cc,right now there is 350 cc on each side

i'm 5.2 , 144 pounds, rib cage is 33

pre mastectomy size 36c

right side is smaller than left and not stretching as well due to previous radiatoin on that side and tight skin,

doctor said when i tell him to stop at the left side he will continue on the right to try to get them to the same size

left side has 350cc and the right is 400cc as they are trying to get it to the same size as the left

now at 350 i'm thinking the left side might be enough cause i'm worried the right one will cause us problems

what's your advice knowing i want something kinda small and aproppriate for my size like a b

thx a lot for all your help

• Sweet_Pea
    Sweet_Pea Member Posts: 90

Hi WhippetMom,

Thanks every so much for replying. My diagnosis of multifocal DCIS was confirmed today so in for the mastectomy I go (no date yet, but it will be soon). And it will be with TEs, I've found out, so that's good to know, from what you've said.

I'm quite pear shaped in my body, so aside from any error there might be (I'll check again with another tape measure (buy another and see if it's more accurate), I guess you could say I have a narrow torso, yes.

Thanks again for this great work you do!

• whippetmom

mssz:

I think you will probably want at least 500 ccs in a high profile, smooth round silicone implant. I would say 450 ccs minimally. It takes more implant volume to approximat with you have with the tissue expanders.