Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• burner
    burner Member Posts: 32

Thanks, whippetmom! A night's sleep and listing out questions to ask my PS, along with your reassuring post have done a lot to calm me down. I'm sure the hormone fluctuations haven't been helping my ability to react with a more even keel! I have to keep in mind that this a marathon, so please forgive intermittent freakouts. Many thanks!! Medicating

• Robins_Mess
    Robins_Mess Member Posts: 8

Thank you! I had my second fill and my skin is holding up very well. They think they will do 2 more on the radiated side, and then see if they need to do any more on the non. They are already filling the non-radiated side 30 cc's more than the other each time to try to get them to about the same volume. As of right now, I think I will be very happy with the final size.

• noodlesmom
    noodlesmom Member Posts: 36

Hi Whippetmom-

I am 2 weeks (minus 1 day) post surgery and just went in for my post-op visit and fill today. I have stressed, from the beginning, my desire to remain on the smaller side. My PS used Mentor 133 300cc TE's. They still seem huge to me and I wonder if I could've gone with the smaller 250's. In any case, he filled 120cc in the OR and added another 60cc today. I already look and feel bigger than I think I want to be once this is all complete. I know the TE shape is not quite natural, but I'm not sure I would even want another fill if I want to be a barely B when I'm done. The plastic surgeon said they do need to expand a bit more than what I will use for an implant--maybe 15%? But I would love your input as to how much more I should let him fill and/or what direction I might go in for an implant. I prefer to stay with a smooth implant rather than textured but any advice you can offer as far as size/shape is appreciated. I would LOVE to finally fill out a sundress, but really not looking for much more. Thank you!

• Salamander
    Salamander Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I am just starting this process. I am looking at using smooth implants. I am 5' 5 1/2", 150 pounds, with a rib cage of 33". I am presently a 36C and thinking of going a bit smaller.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

I love my smooth silicone ones! Better than before. My plastic surgeon said he wanted a more natural slow. I said no. I want to look bought and paid for!

Coach Vicky

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306

Salamander - have you already have a mastectomy? And if so, do you have TEs? Or do you have surgery scheduled? One or both sides? Have you had radiation or will you? Have you met with the breast surgeon and a plastic surgeon?

if you go to My Profile, you can fill in your diagnosis & treatment so we'll know better where you are.

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150

ladies like noodlesmom and salamander, can you please talk about why you prefer smooth implants? I think whippetmom has smooth implants too-- the ruckus around the rare risk of lymphoma and textured implants has me leaning towards smooth implants, but i do appreciate that the risk is very rare. Are there other reasons you are thinking of smooth? Any explanation of your reasoning will be very helpful to me. I will soon be posting all my measurements and TE info to get whipptetmom's valuable advice too

Thank you so much ladies!

• minustwo

I have anatomical Allergan 410s, the original gummies. I love them. I had a very skilled PS with lots of experience, which is important. The preparation, pocket & fitting of anatomicals must be much more precise then popping in rounds. They are textured. I have had them for 5-1/2 years and have had no problems. They look like my natural breasts, which is what I wanted. I particularly like the slope.

I've always tried to live with the watchword of moderation, so I don't worry too much about 'rare' things. I look at them like a bolt out of the blue - just like breast cancer.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

noodlesmom. You are fine with the 300 mL tissue expander. Your PS does need to continue with fills in order to get sufficient expansion for even a small enough implant to give you what you want. I agree with smooth round silicone, in the low 300 cc range Style 15. Maybe a Inspira smooth round, full projection, also low 300ccs.

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Whippetmom I know you wear a camisole to bed, which one do recommend?

Also, can any of you ladies recommend a bra that doesn't press on the sternum? I'm 15 weeks post op (yay squishy side) and am struggling to find a bra style that doesn't irritate my sternum.

For those of you ladies out there struggling with the discomforts of the beloved TEs (aka turtle shells) I found doing stretching exercises in the warmth of the shower daily to be comforting. I still do them, it's become a part of my much needed me time. Hugs to all

• whippetmom

Imkopy2:

Camisoles with shelf bras: (Both also come in Plus-Size)

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-1762846/so-satin-trim-tank-top-juniors.jsp

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-2433356/womens-sonoma-life-style-everyday-camisole.jsp

Order and have shipped or pick up in store at Kohls. I buy one size smaller in the "Sonoma" camisole. it needs to be snug. The Junior ISO is true to size and has better lateral coverage of the implants.. Both are very comfortable to sleep in.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352

Silly question perhaps -- but my PS prefers gummy implants. When smooth, round are recommended here (I'm similar in size and expectation for size as noodlesmom), do gummies come in smooth, round or that is different altogether? (Implants confuse the **** out of me!)

Not planning on textured or anatomical. That's about all I know. Exchange in early Sept.

;) THANKS!

• minustwo

EastCoast - I'll let WhippetMom answer, but wanted to let you know that she recommended Allergan 410 original "gummies" for me. Mine are textured and I have been very pleased for the last 6-1/2 years. Of course my PS was the head or plastics for a very large hospital & had lots of experience.

• eastcoastts

WhippetMom recommended Allergan Style 20 - 300 ccs or Allergan Inspira, SRF- 265 ccs or 295ccs for me. But PS like gummies. Not sure if Gummy corresponds with her rec.

• minustwo

EastCoast - I just meant that she might recommend either based on your physical specs. And the expertise of your PS. She's not anti-gummie. Just very precise.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261

Eastcoast,

Natrelle came out with a new product that combines the cohesive gel (gummy) in a smooth round, extra full profile. I am replacing my 410's with the new product, Inspira SCX, in August.

Good luck with your decision.

• eastcoastts

Thanks! Awesome information.

• eastcoastts

MinusTwo:

;) Not saying anyone is anti-gummy, I just don't understand if WhippetMom's recommendation is even the same as the what my PS is calling gummy. I'm just starting to really research all this. It's too many brands, types, textures etc., for me to keep straight.

Thanks for the insight!

• minustwo

Carla is right - they now have cohesive gel implants in rounds. Personally I just preferred the anatomical shape. You're right about the tons of products now. Glad I'm not just starting to research. Thank heavens for Whippetmom keeping up with all this stuff.

• noodlesmom

Tara17-

Let me preface by saying that I am FAR from an expert. I'm like you; just trying to weed through all of the information to try to make the best decision. As far as the textured implants, a very close friend of mine had a BMX 4 years ago and has the textured gummy bear implants. She lost her mom to ovarian cancer, carried the BRCA gene, and did the surgery prophylactically.

She started researching the textured implants as soon as the FDA released the warning. For her, and I guess for me, even a small risk it too much of a risk to take. The odds are low, and the type of Lymphoma can be found early and is treatable, but again, it's just about a level of personal comfort. Cosmetically, her boobs are perfect! I read everything I could, we compared notes, and although the risk is low, we've both decided to stick with the smooth implants (she plans to have hers switched out this summer).

I hope this helps.

• noodlesmom

Thank you, whippetmom.

I have a follow up, and hopefully not a dumb question.

My sister, who is similar stature to me--slightly bigger--had a cosmetic augmentation years back and has 250cc round implants. She is bigger/fuller overall than I'd like to be. I know a mastectomy is very different than a typical cosmetic surgery, but would a 300cc implants on me look bigger than the 250cc's my sister has? Or the same? It's not apples to apples, right?

Thanks again for all of your help....for all of us.

• whippetmom

EastCoast:

"Gummy Bear" is the moniker placed, specifically on textured anatomical and perhaps Sientra implants, by Los Angeles plastic surgeon, Grant Stevens, MD. He was one of the first clinical trials investigators using the Mentor CPG, Allergan 410s and Sientra implants, some five years prior to these implants gaining FDA approval. I suppose the new Allergan Inspira implant falls into that category now, since it is the newest generation of implant. Sientra and Inspira have both smooth and textured implants in their product line.

You need to clarify what your PS means by "gummy bears". It is a confusing term to use in 2017. Find out exactly what she means before the exchange.
  • whippetmom

EastCoast:

"Gummy Bear" is the moniker placed, specifically on textured anatomical implants (and perhaps Sientra implants), by Los Angeles plastic surgeon, Grant Stevens, MD. He was one of the first clinical trials investigators using the Mentor CPG, Allergan 410s and Sientra implants, some five years prior to these implants gaining FDA approval. The new Allergan Inspira implant appears to fall into that category now, since it is the newest generation implant. Sientra and Inspira have both smooth and textured implants in their product line.

You need to clarify what your PS means by "gummy bears". It is a confusing term to use in 2017. Does she mean Allergan 410 anatomicals, Sientra or Allergan Inspira.Find out exactly what she means before the exchange.

• whippetmom

Sorry....for some reason that response to EastCoast was posted twice.

• whippetmom

Noodlesmom:

It is not "apples to apples" . Your sister had fat and connective tissue to help augment the breasts. You are trying to fill a pita pocket. Winking

• eastcoastts

Thanks, WhippetMom!

This is EXACTLY the information I needed. My PS has only used that term rather "generically" it seems to me. With this, I'll be better able to ask her more targeted questions in prep for Exchange in Sept.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509

Hello, new here:)

I am considering TE placement in 3 weeks. I have a window of opportunity in between chemo and radiation to have them placed. They were scheduled to be done at my BMX in december but my original PS doesn't place them if radiation could be involved(they found a node was involved during the surgery). Anyway, I got a second opinion last week as I was finishing up chemo and he made sure with my RO and both agreed it could be a good time to do it. Since I thought I had a year to decide on size and such in kind of caught of guard and I'm sure we'll go over options and such at my pre op appt next week. I'm also nervous about having them in for a year since it seems from what I've read onhere that they can be quite uncomfortable. PS said they would be in for a year then likley a LDF on radiated left side at time if exchange.

Question, how do I begin to choose size and shape?!! I've read it matters to what TE is placed. I realize it probably starts with the size and shape I was. I was a larger B and I'm fine with that or a C might be nice.

• minustwo

tWills - start by reading the entire header of this thread and posting your stats as requested. Bra size isn't relevant.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509

Thanks for the warm welcome, just thought I would ease in with a first post before I really got into it. But here it is, 5'9" 165lbs 34" circumference, hope I'mmeasuring in the correct place, its hard to tell. I also had skin and nipple sparing.

• Sjsparks
    Sjsparks Member Posts: 5

Hi! Here is my TE information

450CC 133FX-12-T Allergan My PS did not give me brand or style for the implants they use.

I'm 5'3 and 217 pounds, I was a D cup before surgery. My rib circumference is 43

I would love all advice, thanks so much!