Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• SpiritBlessing
    SpiritBlessing Member Posts: 552
    edited July 2014

Hi Ladies,

Well as you see I am up early so God was talking to me and to get on the board for a chat. It's been a while. I have read back a ways and am caught up after a few weeks. I am so thrilled for Bev, Sharon and Deborah that you were all able to meet even for a short visit. What a blessing and how special that time was. Bev I love your hair. It is a lot like mine. Mine is growing out and about inch and a half long now but it kind of has like a mowhawk going on so not too sure about that. It just won't stay down. I have an appt next week with my hair stylist that I haven't seen in over 8 months so we will see what she can do. I have never really struggled with the loss of my hair and I had a really nice wig, which I have not worn for 6 weeks. 

Well I have been pretty busy since going back to work 3 weeks ago. It's just on Tuesdays and Thursdays but feels good to be back. Work from home the rest of the time. I am doing about 6 hours some days longer but that is about all I can do. Still going in on Mondays every 2 weeks for treatment but had my last chemo on 4/28.  Funny how you look forward to that day then when you get there you get nervous that it stops, at least I did. It was very odd feeling. 

The pill seems to be working along with the Avastin now as I had my CT scan last week and all is stable and now I only have 2 nodules that are stable and the third is now a cyst and 2 have disappeared...praise God!!!  He gets all the glory and He continues to show me He is on this journey with me. 

I am feeling good and strong and we have had some great summer weather here in the Pacific Northwest so it's been great. I have tomorrow off and will be spending the day with my daughter and granddaughter and DH for my birthday which is on Saturday. Have a busy weekend planned as some friends from church have put together a brunch on Saturday for about 20 of us so that should be fun. Sunday church and recouping...hahaha. 

So I hear some if you say you get notified on email when someone posts, how do you set that up?  That would be a great option to have. 

Well we have some new folks on board so welcome to bandwomen, you will find this board an absolute pleasure. Very supportive and informative and wonderful women who love The Lord. 

Glad to be back and just know you are being prayed for as I think of you all often even when I am not reading daily. I would love to meet anyone who was nearby but I don't think any of you are...lol. 

Blessings Warriors...Lucy

• SewStrong
    SewStrong Member Posts: 151
    edited July 2014

Hi Lucy. I haven't been on steadily lately either. After losing my last two posts I almost threw up my hands but would miss it too much.

Nancy, I did cut my wig just like my hairstyle. Most people I know couldn't tell the difference. God led me to it in a very small town called Glencoe. What chance that out of the 13 wigs available, I would find one the color of my hair and the only human hair wig in the place? God is so good toe. I look older with my frizzy hair, but my DIL gave me a flat iron and that helped tremendously. I have to de-curl it, not curl it. Bev and Deborah saw it but very few other people have. I did that for Bev. Bevs hair is very cute and so is Deborah's. 

thanks Char. I used to be a beautician who always wished I could take off my head and put it on the table so I could cut it like I wanted it. No one seems to give me what I want so God allowed me the opportunity to do just that. Watch what you wish for! 

Char, Bev was so thrilled to have the opportunity to meet you. She spent the night here on her way to Tennessee. It was such a true blessing for so many of us to be able to arrange the meetings. Having a meal with Deborah and Bev was just wonderful. God even put the personality of my late best friend into Deborah and that was an extra "kiss from God" as Bev says. It made me cry, but it was a cry for happy. 

Bev is still traveling. She's in Texas already but won't be home until about 5-5:30 tonight. Well have to meet again in the future. It's different than reading text. It adds a new dimension to the equation. 

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,876
    edited July 2014

Nice to meet you Lucy. PTL on your latest CT scan. That is awesome. God shows Himself strong all the time and especially in our weak and fearful moments. I was just diagnosed in March and things happened pretty quickly for me. I just finished rads right before July 4th. I told my friends that some of those fireworks were in celebration of me finishing active tx. When you set threads as your favorite topics then I think it is that section that shows your favorites is where you can set up email notification. I am the one that mentioned that because I just did it recently. If you have a very active thread you end up with a ton of emails in your inbox. But you can see who posted and what they said and if it was pertaining to you or someone else. It is a nice feature of this forum. Take care and go celebrate your good news.

Sharon- That is awesome how God led you to that wig. Isn't He so good to us. The world can't understand how we can rejoice in this journey. It makes for a great witness to unbelievers. So you are a beautician and a math teacher..... a woman of many talents. I couldn't sleep last night and I was on this thread for maybe an hour and a half going clear back to the beginning and reading quite a few posts along the way. I read on your post about having so much pain and I think it was bone pain. I think you are TN correct? My neighbors mother was diagnosed about the same time as me in March. This lady is TN as well.  When she had her first chemo her daughter told me it was like someone was breaking all of her bones. They ended up calling her MO on the weekend. This poor lady is just not doing well on the chemo at all. I really feel for her. Is it a really tough chemo to endure? She will have rads with my RO after her chemo. I know this lady's husband and I told him she would love this RO. This poor guy I know is so worried for his wife and my neighbor for her Mom.

I also read where some of you were asked not to share God on this one thread. Wow. There can be profanity but not God. Interesting how that works in the world these days.

Well I just got back from my MO and will be starting my drug in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. NOT

I think your hair looks beautiful. You can come and do mine anytime!!!!!

Love,

Nancy ( Bandwoman)

• Deborahanne
    Deborahanne Member Posts: 150
    edited July 2014

Lucy - glad to see you are doing well! Praise the Lord your treatment has been effective! 

Nancy - I'm so glad your radiation is over. I'm praying you will get stronger and feel better each day and that you'll do well on the anastrozole! Both Bev and I are on it so we can help support each other. 

• Deborahanne
    edited July 2014

Here we are! Bev, Sharon, and me. God blessed our visit so much! Words cannot adequately express how special this time was for the three of us to share stories and all the marvelous ways God has brought us through this time with cancer, treatment, and recovery. I'm so thankful to God for these dear, sweet ladies in Christ!  I hope to have many more visits with Bev and Sharon and we would love to meet more of you. And if we can't meet you, we hope you'll get to meet others in person.  Love and continued prayers for you all, Deborah

• gardengal777
    gardengal777 Member Posts: 376
    edited July 2014

Nancy: I don't have chemo brain but I swear there are moments when I feel like I do. Names seem to escape me lately. So sorry for the Bandwagon instead of Bandwoman. Maybe I was thinking about jumping on the bandwagon.

Sharon: Meeting someone in person puts such a personal meaning to a relationship. I know what you mean. Maybe next year, Lord willing, I will be able to meet you and Deborahanne. 

Lucy: god must have told you to post on here because I have been thinking about you a lot the past few days and wondering how you have been doing.

I went through a pretty tough PT session today. They are really putting me through a good program and increasing agility, cardio, strength and flexibility.  I am so glad God led me back to PT. I had an allergic reaction on the drug my ortho doctor put me on. I put on 9 pounds and my feet swelled up. He told me today that I need to put that in my records so that I am not given that again. He said that those side effects have an impact on my kidneys. 

Don't know if anyone saw a news story where a woman went in to Lake Erie to save her nine year old son as strong winds and waves pulled him and a friend into deeper water while in an inflatable inner tube. She was the wife of our high school music teacher and band director. She was 37 and her son watched her drown right in front of him. It was such a tragic situation. They were at her in laws lake home enjoying vacation. 

So this litte message and thought I would share it with you.

• Deborahanne
    edited July 2014

Char - I'd love to meet you! I hope and pray the PT is effective and hopefully you'll return to better health once that med you were on is out of your system. That is unbearably tragic that the mother died trying to save her son. This situation reminded me of the woman who wrote "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus". Before she penned the song, she and her husband and their young daughter went on a picnic by a river. And it was then that they saw a boy in the water crying for help. Her husband tried to save the boy but tragically both the man and boy drowned. Here's a link for a short video about this and words to the song. It's a powerful reminder that God can use some of the most tragic times for good as this woman wrote this beautiful hymn and then she and her daughter became missionaries.

Amazing Story Behind the Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2iiQo7apE

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,

and to take him at his word;

just to rest upon his promise,

and to know, "Thus saith the Lord."

Refrain:

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust him!

How I've proved him o'er and o'er!

Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!

O for grace to trust him more!

O how sweet to trust in Jesus,

just to trust his cleansing blood;

and in simple faith to plunge me

neath the healing, cleansing flood! [Refrain]

Yes, 'tis sweet to trust in Jesus,

just from sin and self to cease;

just from Jesus simply taking

life and rest, and joy and peace. [Refrain]

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Char, I just didn't want anyone jumping on the bandwoman! LOL I can understand getting a good workout with PT. I would have rads and then PT on many days and I would come home exhausted. I sure hope that it will have a great end result and that you can get this drug out of your system that didn't agree with you.

That is so tragic about this young mother drowning right in front of her son. I just can't imagine how horrible that that would be for that young boy and the husband.

Deborah, I never knew the backstory to that hymn. I love the words to that hymn and of course the music. . This guy from my church and I volunteer at one of the assisted living facilities in town. We minister to the Alzheimer's floor. We do a mini church service with a hymn sing before the message and quite often tell the back story of the hymns we are singing. I will try to remember this one. It also reminds me of It Is Well With My Soul (not sure if that is the name or just the chorus) but the backstory is a similar tragic event that inspired the song.

I see three beautiful ladies reflecting Jesus in that picture. What a blessing to meet in person.

I do have a prayer request. On Thursday I have to do a stress echo test. I was having chest pains and there was no getting out of it once I opened my mouth to my RO. I think it is muscle and wish I would have just zipped it up. Anyway when I started looking at how they do this test I am quite concerned about my knee. It is a treadmill that they gradually make you walk at more of an incline as they increase the speed. I already have a torn meniscus in my knee and I strained a leg muscle a few weeks ago walking on an incline that I wasn't used to. My prayer is that I will be able to successfully finish this test without injuring anything and that in the end they will say it is probably just muscle.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• milehighgirl
    milehighgirl Member Posts: 397
    edited July 2014

Good evening all.  Looks like it's been a good week for everyone.  So glad you've had some in person visits - who would have thought it possible?  I wish I had the energy to even do a long weekend somewhere, ha ha.  Lucy, that is tremendous news.  I call them "way to go God moments".  Char, is your dad still staying with you?  That PT sounds rough Char but sounds like it's for the best.  What an awful situation with the woman that drowned.  Prayers for that family are certainly in order.

As for me, I was due for my 9-hours at the hospital today and my 6th round of chemo.  Turns out my platelets were too low again and my blood work showed I was anemic.  So......I now have to go two weeks on and one week off on a lower dose and today I got a blood transfusion instead of chemo.  I sure hope my borrowed blood translates to more energy.  This last round has just knocked me out and I've pretty much fallen asleep at the drop of a hat.  Monday I go to have my surgical stitches out for the second time - the first time my skin hadn't healed because of the chemo (what else?) and they had to put the stitches back in.  Praying I have no more need for stitches in the future and the x-ray shows my lung surgery was a success.

The upside of today was I had to wait so long for my blood transfusion that I met a woman from England, now living here in Denver.  I talked to her briefly in the onc's office and then ran into her in the infusion waiting room.  We had about an hour to chat with she and her husband and I had a chance to witness.  I gave her my business card and hope she calls.  It's always so nice to have someone to talk to that's going through the same thing.  I love those Divine appointments!

Anita, we haven't heard from you in awhile -  you doing okay?

So glad for all the updates and the lovely news and pictures.  You are all so precious to me.  Have a wonderful weekend!  Sue

• SewStrong
    edited July 2014

I am ashamed to even admit that I just lost another post. The carpal tunnel in my hand makes my hand totally numb and when I drop the phone or adjust it in my hand, I touch the screen and end up on another page. When I go back to this page, my message is gone. I'll be back when my hand calms down. It's very frustrating. In going to get a cortisone shot when I go to the doctor on the 17th. I hope it helps. I want to be here talking to everyone but the pain keeps me away. Sharon

• gardengal777
    gardengal777 Member Posts: 376
    edited July 2014

Deborahanne: Thank you for refreshing my memory about that hymn. That is why I love the great old hymns because they have so much meaning behind them. I have enclosed the story behind "it is Well with My Soul" at the end of this post as it is similar and tragic. Almost reminds me of Job. 

Sue: I am praying for you gal. You just keep taking a lick in' and keep on tick in'. You are a true testament to all of us on here.

Nancy (BW) Will keep you in prayer for your stress test on Thursday. They can also do the test in different ways such as by injection and they will stop should you have trouble. Just let them know about your knee and leg before hand.

Sharon: I know how the carpal feels. Mine is just getting back to a point where I am sleeping longer and I can type better. I am numb riding my bike. Also the nerve on the top of my foot reared it's ugly head and has given me lots of issues with my big toe and the one beside it. It got smashed by a kayak last year while at the ocean.

Don't feel compelled to read this. It is very long but quite a story.

Horatio G. Spafford: The Story Behind the Hymn "It is Well with My Soul"

"Saved Alone. What Shall I Do..."

Jane WinsteadJane Winstead, Yahoo Contributor Network

In the late 1860s life was good for Horatio G. Spafford and his wife Anna. They were living in a north side suburb of Chicago with their five children, Annie, Maggie, Bessie, Tanetta and Horatio, Jr. He had a successful law practice in Chicago. The doors of the Spaffords' home were always open as a place for activists to meet during the reform movements of the time. Horatio G. Spafford was quite active in the abolitionist movement. Frances E. Willard, president of the National Women's Christian Temperance Union as well as evangelical leaders like Dwight L. Moody were often guests in their home. Spafford was a Presbyterian church elder and a dedicated Christian.

Until now Horatio and Anna Spafford had led a charmed life. They had everything going their way. However, in 1870 their faith was tested by tragedy. Their four year old son, Horatio, Jr., died of scarlet fever. The Spaffords were devastated. In October of 1871 when the Great Chicago Fire broke out Horatio faced another test of his faith. A few months before the Great Chicago Fire, Spafford being a wealthy man, had invested much of his wealth in real estate by the shore of Lake Michigan. Not only did the Great Chicago Fire destroy most of Chicago but most of Spafford's holdings were destroyed. 250 people died in the Great Chicago Fire and 90,000 were left homeless.

The Spaffords did not despair. Their home had been spared and they had their family. God had been good. Even though their finances were mostly depleted, Anna and Horatio used what resources they had left to feed the hungry, help the homeless, care for the sick and injured and comfort their grief stricken neighbors. The Great Chicago Fire was a great American tragedy; the Spaffords used it to show the love of the Christ to those in need.

In 1873 Anna Spafford's health was failing and hoping to put behind the tragic loss of their son and the fire and to benefit Anna's health, the Spaffords planned a trip to Europe. They would sail on the French steamer Ville du Havre to Europe with their four daughters. Spafford not only wanted to visit Europe but he wanted to assist Evangelists Dwight L. Moody and Ira D. Sankey in a revival they were conducting in England.

Moody and Sankey had met at a convention of the Young Men's Christian Association in Indianapolis in 1870. After hearing Sankey sing, Moody at once invited him to come to Chicago and assist him in his evangelist work there. Ira D. Sankey considered Moody's invitation and after much thought and prayer, decided to accept. Six months later he joined Moody in Chicago.

Dwight L. Moody and Ira Sankey were in the middle of a revival meeting when the Great Chicago Fire broke out in 1871. Moody and Sankey barely escaped Chicago with their lives. It is said that Sankey was on a row boat a long distance out in Lake Michigan where he watched as Chicago burned. With most of Chicago having been destroyed, Moody and Sankey decided to accept an invitation to visit England. In 1873 Moody and Sankey started a work in England. Moody and Sankey made such a profound impression in England their names became household words all over Europe.

The Spaffords planed to leave in November on their voyage to Europe. As sometimes happens, God had other plans for Horatio G. Spafford. The day they were to sail for Europe Spafford had a business emergency and could not leave. Not wanting to disappoint his wife Anna and their daughters he sent them on ahead and planned to follow on another ship in a few days. Accompanying Anna Spafford were her French governess, Emma Lorriaux, several friends and several ministers.

On November 22, 1873 the steamer Ville du Havre was struck by a British iron sailing ship, the Lockhearn. The steamer Ville du Havre, with Anna Spafford and her daughters aboard, sank within twelve minutes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Only 81 of the 307 passengers and crew members survived this tragic shipwreck.

Even though the Lockhearn was in danger of sinking the unconscious Anna Spafford was picked up from floating debris by the crew of the Lockhearn. An American cargo sailing vessel, the Trimountain, arrived in time to save the survivors of the Ville du Havre and the Lockhearn. Anna Spafford was taken to Cardiff, Wales where she telegraphed her husband Horatio. Anna's cable was brief and heartbreaking, "Saved alone. What shall I do..." Horatio and Anna's four daughters had drowned. As soon as he received Anna's telegram, Horatio left Chicago without delay to bring his wife home. Sailing across the Atlantic Ocean the captain of the ship called Horatio to the bridge. He informed Horatio that "A careful reckoning has been made and I believe we are now passing the place where the Ville du Havre was wrecked. The water is three miles deep." That night, alone in his cabin Horatio G. Spafford penned the words to his famous hymn, "It Is Well With My Soul." Horatio's faith in God never faltered. He later wrote Anna's half-sister, "On Thursday last we passed over the spot where she went down, in mid-ocean, the waters three miles deep. But I do not think of our dear ones there. They are safe, folded, the dear lambs."

The following account is taken from the Christian History Institute.

"Anna Spafford later spoke of being sucked violently downward. Baby Tanetta was torn from her arms by a collision with some heavy debris, with a blow so violent that Anna's arm was severely bruised. She flailed at the water trying to catch her baby. Anna caught Tanetta's gown for just a moment before another smashing blow tore the little girl out of her arms forever. Reaching out again, all she could find was a man's leg in corduroy trousers. Anna, barely conscious, was then swirled about in a whirlpool before surfacing near the Loch Earn. She instinctively clung on to a small plank and the next thing she recalled was the splash of an oar as she lay at the bottom of a small boat. Bruised and sick, her long hair was matted with salt and her dressing gown shredded. But the pain in her body was nothing compared to the pain in her heart as she realized that her four daughters had been lost in the disaster. A young male passenger, afloat on a piece of wood, came upon Maggie and Annie, the two oldest Spafford children. At his direction, each girl grasped one of his side pockets as he tried to find a board large enough to support all three of them. After about 30 or 40 minutes in the water, he found a piece of wreckage and struggled to help the two young girls climb atop the board. But as he watched, their weary arms weakened, and he saw their eyes close. Their lifeless forms floated away from his own fatigue-paralyzed arms. No clues ever surfaced about the fate of little Bessie."

After Anna was rescued, Pastor Nathaniel Weiss, one of the ministers traveling with Anna and Horatio's group remembered hearing Anna say, "God gave me four daughters. Now they have been taken from me. Someday I will understand why." Anna was utterly devastated. Many of the survivors watched Anna closely, fearing she may try to take her life. In her grief and despair, Anna heard a soft voice speaking to her, "You were saved for a purpose!" It was then Anna remembered something a friend had once said, "It's easy to be grateful and good when you have so much, but take care that you are not a fair-weather friend to God."

Following their reunion in Europe, Horatio and Anna returned to Chicago to begin their lives again. God blessed Anna and Horatio with three children. They had a son in 1876, again called "Horatio." Not so much for his father but for their lost son. In 1878 their daughter Bertha was born. Tragically, when little Horatio reached the age of 4 just as his brother before him, he died from scarlet fever. In 1880 Anna and Horatio had another daughter they called Grace. After the loss of little Horatio, the Spaffords decided to leave their home in America and settle in Jerusalem. In September of 1881 the Spaffords and a few of their friends left America for Israel.

The group settled in the old part of Jerusalem and started a work which later became known as the "American Colony." There they served the needy, helped the poor, cared for the sick and took in homeless children. Their only cause was to show those living about them the love of Jesus. Swedish novelist Selma Ottiliana Lovisa Lagerlõf wrote of this colony of Christians in her two volume Nobel Prize winning work "Jerusalem."

A Christian historian wrote of Anna and Horatio: "Moved by a series of profound tragic losses, Chicago natives Anna and Horatio Spafford led a small American contingent in 1881 to Jerusalem to form a Christian utopian society known as the 'American Colony.'"

Bertha Spafford Vester, wrote the following in her book "Our Jerusalem."

"In Chicago, Father searched his life for explanation. Until now, it had flowed gently as a river. Spiritual peace and worldly security had sustained his early years, his family life and his home....... All around him people were asking the unvoiced question; 'What guilt had brought this sweeping tragedy to Anna and Hoaratio Spafford?'.... Father became convinced that God was kind and that he would see his children again in heaven. This thought calmed his heart, but it was to bring Father into open conflict with what was then the Christian world.... To Father, this was a passing through the "valley of the shadow of death," but his faith came through triumphant and strong. On the high seas, near the place where his children perished, he wrote the hymn that was to give comfort to so many:"

It Is Well With My Soul

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
    Let this blest assurance control,
    That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
    And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
    (refrain)

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
    My sin, not in part but the whole,
    Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
    Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
    (refrain)

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
    The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
    The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
    Even so, it is well with my soul.

In 1876 P.P. Bliss put Horatio Spafford's words to music. This hymn is still sung in Protestant churches today. "It Is Well With My Soul" was first sung in public by P.P. Bliss on November 24, 1876 before an assembly of ministers hosted by Dwight L. Moody in Chicago's Farewell Hall. Ironically, one month later, P.P. Bliss and his wife were killed in a horrific train wreck. It is believed that Horatio took the words "It is well" from the words of the Shunammite woman who lost her only son but was later raised from the dead by Elisha. (II Kings 4:26 )

Horatio G. Spafford was born on October 20, 1828 in Lansingburgh, New York and died of Malaria on October 16, 1888 in Jerusalem. Anna Spafford continued to work in the surrounding areas of Jerusalem until her death in 1923. The Spaffords were laid to eternal rest in Jerusalem. It can be said that "It Is Well With Their Souls."

• milehighgirl
    edited July 2014

Sharon, just a thought but are you using a laptop that has one of  those touch pads?  Mine was driving me nuts and doing what you're describing.... taking me places I didn't want to go, erasing pages, and so on.  I never used the pad because I prefer using a mouse so I covered it with several layers of duck tape to the point my "touch" wouldn't work.  Did the trick and my computer stopped being possessed.

Char, I have several books in my library about the history of some of our most beloved hymns.  I always loved the one about "It is Well With My Soul".  \

Blessings all.  Sue

• SewStrong
    edited July 2014

Sue, you're having a very rough time right now. I'm going to pray extra hard for you. About the carpal tunnel:  I use my I-phone. With carpal tunnel and crooked fingers from arthritis, it's very hard to hit the right key. With my arm in a sling, I've been using my right hand exclusively so I suppose the carpal tunnel is inflamed, but thanks for the idea. I might duct tape the pad on our laptop too. I don't use it. I like a mouse too. 

Char-well just have to suffer together. It's encouraging that it can get better though. I hate it when my feet or back hurt. Those pains are debilitating. I can keep going with carpal tunnel. Thanks for the article. I will read it a little later. I'm making pickle relish and just sat down to rest a minute. 

I'll have to respond later to the others. I hate to seem like in skipping over some. It's just very difficult to type for a long time. 

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Hi ladies. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Sue-I was worried about you since you hadn't posted in a while. I sure hope that the blood transfusion helps you feel better and I hope this new chemo regime will work better for you. You sure have had a rough time of it. I have been praying for you.

Sharon- Don't feel bad about losing a post. I have a laptop that is also possessed. I am used to using laptops at my schools so I was used to the internal mouse but mine is different. One second and poof. Gone. It is too bad they don't have an undo arrow on here. I hope your cortisone shot helps when you get it. I have had those on my foot in the past and is was like a miracle how fast it worked.

Char- I hope your knee and  your foot improve. Thanks for sharing the story of that hymn. I looked it up and was able to listen to it while they shared the story. They didn't have as much detail as you shared. That music just gets to me. It was obviously divinely anointed coming from such a painful place.

Bev- I hope you made it back home all in one piece. You must be one tough lady is all I can say with your big victory tour! Congratulations.

Deborah- Blessings on you today. Thanks for starting the hymn post.  I miss the old hymns. My church is contemporary and I love the praise and worship songs. We do sing hymns occasionally. Holy, Holy, Holy is one that really moves me every time I hear it.

Blessings on all of you today.

Love,

Nancy

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited July 2014

Ladies.

Those having some trouble with the laptop..... You should be able to go into control panel, open mouse, should have something there about a touch pad, where you can adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad.  I had to download the correct driver for my touch pad from Dell, because of the same problem and it is working fine now.

I know this has nothing to do with BC, other than another frustration...

GOOD LUCK FRIENDS
    Vickie

• SewStrong
    edited July 2014

One way i lose my posts is that I forget I can't scroll back a page to read after I've typed something without losing it. I'm  so forgetful that I read a little, type a response or two, then scroll up to read more before I post. From now on, I'm going to post a short response then just edit if I want to add something else. Good plan. Hope it works. 

I have very mixed feelings about my treatments being over. The only reason I am not still in treatment is that nothing has been discovered to target triple negative tumors. Sometimes my mind wanders to a place where I totally forget about breast cancer, then it goes to a darker place of realizing there is no pill for me to take to help avoid a recurrence. After I go back and forth, God reminds me that I claimed a total recovery and I'm good to go. I may be forgetful, but He's not. 

Deborah. I zoomed in on my picture from the one we had taken of you, Bev, and me. It is the first wingless picture I have so I'm using it for my avatar. 

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited July 2014

Yay, Sharon - so glad to see you used the wigless picture. I've showed our picture to several people and (especially after seeing my short goofy hair), everybody is amazed that yours isn't a wig. It doesn't matter what we have on our heads, though - it's what's in our hearts that matters, right?! 

Char, thanks so much for the "rest of the story" for "It is Well with my Soul." I cry every time we sing that in church (yep, I go to the "Traditional" service because I just love all the old hymns - the modern choruses just don't touch me the same way). The verse about "my sin - not in part, but the whole" is just so amazing to think about. God is so good, isn't He?

Sue and Nancy/BW, I'll be praying for you this week - you both have challenges ahead of you but we know God will give you the strength, peace and calm that you need. I'll have kind of a busy week, too - my herceptin infusion (every 3 weeks - no big deal), plus a mammogram (should only take half as long as it did last year but I still can't believe a whole year has passed!), bone density scan and echocardiogram.

I got home last night about 5:00 - put over 3500 miles on my car in 12 days. Whew! This is the first time I've used audio books to pass the miles and wow, am I a believer. I had a great time - visited family, friends, old co-workers, as well as my fantastic new friends from this thread. Thanks so much, Char, Deborah and Sharon for making some wonderful memories that I'll treasure.....till we get together again!

Have a blessed Sunday, ladies - love you!

Bev

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Thanks Vicky. I had thought I already adjusted my laptop mouse but I don't think I had. There were things that I didn't understand and just unclicked some options. We'll see what happens. It might save me a lot of frustration.

Bandwoman

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Hi Sharon,

Because of my neighbor's mom who has TN bc I did some online searching for some info on it. One encouraging thing that I found was that long term TN survivors have a better recurrence rate than others. One of my former co workers that I have gotten closer to since my dx has TN as well. She is 7 years out now and doing great.

The morning of my last rad treatment I was fighting back tears and I don't cry often. In fact I didn't cry at all when I got my bc news over the phone. I didn't cry through surgery or after. Strange I know. I finally cried just a few weeks ago. Anyway my sadness at finishing treatment was hard to explain but some of it was due to the fear of recurrence and feeling like I am now on my own.

I just got my hormone blocking drug yesterday and will start that in two weeks but I am really afraid of the side effects since some are what I already experience with fibromyalgia. To think that it will be worse is pretty scary for me right now.

The Lord has brought both of us through all the other stuff and He will get us through whatever is to come. I know every one must have to face this fear of recurrence which is a natural fear. We have a very powerful God though and I know we will be fine. That doesn't mean we will be spared the tough times but He will be right there holding our hand as we go through them.

Your new avatar is great. A celebration for sure!

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Bev- Glad you made it home safely. I was going to ask if you did any of your cross country in a plane but it sounds like it was all driving. Wow. I took a solo drive from Illinois to Texas without any AC in July many, many years ago. I was visiting one of my best friends from high school. I made it to Texarkana, Ark before stopping. I was young and had way more energy than I do now! I remember never being so hot in my life in TX. The humidity made my hair look like little orphan annie. LOL

I have been trying to get enough courage to make it to Sedona AZ for my photography hobby. Between my cat and my fibromyalgia I have not mustered enough courage yet. Not sure what to do with my cat.

So I applaud all that driving. Amazing. Take care and I hope your annual tests are all A okay and your infusion.

Love,

Nancy BW

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Ladies- I would appreciate your input. I saw my MO yesterday for the second time. My first consultation was back in April and he talked me into doing the Onchotype DX test. I told one of my friends some of the things he said and she said if it were her she would be looking for another doctor. I just don't know what to think of him. I leave being very frustrated that when I ask him a pretty direct question about some things that I had read from legitimate sources I don't feel I am getting a good answer and I don't know if he just either wants to show me his vast knowledge or ego or what. I had a 16 on my Onchotype test and that is a low risk category meaning chemo would not be affective for me. On the very website that produces this test it said for my particular cancer IDC early stage that the test tells you if chemo is warranted  AND the likelihood of recurrence in another part of the body. When I directly asked him if it tells you about recurrence in another part of the body he said it ONLY tells you if chemo is warranted. I even ask him again because I had discussed this with my RO as well. I don't know what to think of him. I don't think he likes me asking about statistics and things I have read. I have to see him in three months unless I have issues with the drug. I don't know how often I will have to see him. I have been so pleased with my whole cancer team from the beginning and my only question is with this man. Do you have any thoughts on this or advice on dealing with this man. I might add that I have had a digital voice recorder at both sessions with his approval.

Love

Nancy

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited July 2014

Hi Nancy - well, if your treatment is anything like mine, your MO is going to be your main (maybe only on-going) contact for the next 5 years (on arimidex) so I say YES! get somebody else who you like, trust and can communicate with. Is your treatment at a place where there are other MO's - or maybe your surgeon can recommend another MO? I'll be praying for wisdom for you (and also that you figure out a way to get to Sedona - one of my husband's and my favorite places!). In fact, we're going to Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas panhandle next month - it's called the Texas Grand Canyon and pictures of it look very similar to Sedona's red rocks.

Bev

• SewStrong
    edited July 2014

Nancy, thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate that. I, too, cried during my last radiation. I feel that it was because I felt alone after that. While having regular visits to four doctors, I felt as if I were being Healed. I guess I was afraid it would return if I stopped. God told me that it is still being healed by his stripes. Sharon. 

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Thanks Bev. It is interesting that my surgeon told me he would be with me for life. My RO I will see in a few weeks and I think maybe a year after. This MO didn't say anything about that other than I will see him in three months. My surgeon only recommended one MO and it is this guy. They are all in a huge network of doctors and I am pretty sure that they will only recommend with their network. I will check this out and see what other choices are out there. It is interesting that my nurse navigator who I loved to pieces said you'll love the RO and she didn't say a word about this guy and it was almost a glaring exclusion since I saw both of these doctors for an initial consult on the same day and I had emailed her about both of them.

Thanks.

Nancy

• milehighgirl
    edited July 2014

Well Vickie, I sure appreciate the info on the touchpad.  Unfortunately this laptop is possessed and as I suspected, NOWHERE is there a link to the touchpad.  I've had it in for repairs no less than 11-times at Best Buy and they can't seem to "fix" all the issues I've had with it.  I also took it somewhere else and paid to have it diagnosed but they've ignored the diagnosis from real computer techies.  (Sorry, had to vent because I hate Best Buy).  In any event, I was excited to think that this computer from Hades actually has a simple fix for a simple problem.  But noooooooooooooooooooo.  LOL.

Sharon, I love the hair!  I have about a 1/2 inch of fuzz - not near enough to go without the wig and it's just like it was when I was a baby.  Very blond.  I won't be getting any more hair any time soon since my chemo goes indefinitely. 

I spent the afternoon sleeping again.  Guess the blood transfusion didn't give me an energy transfusion!  And I was so hoping to get the windows washed today ha ha.

Blessings all.  Sue

• Deborahanne
    edited July 2014

Bev - Glad to see you are safely home! 

Sharon - I'm so glad you visited us without your wig. Your hair looks great! 

Nancy - I agree with Bev, your oncologist is going to be one of the most important doctors in your life for the next 5 years so it's important that you have someone who is competent but also someone who you trust, like, and can communicate with (just like Bev said). Concerning statistics of recurrence, my doctor has always been great giving statistics but this doesn't seem to be typical for all doctors. My doctor is involved in a lot of breast cancer research so maybe that's why he gives statistics but I have a close friend dealing with breast cancer now and her doctors are very good and her MO is involved in research but she refused to give statistics of recurrence to my friend. I had the oncotype test done and it actually lowered my chance of recurrence but it wasn't low enough to indicate no chemo was needed. And it wasn't high enough to indicate chemo should be definitely done. So I was in the range where chemo is still recommended but it's really not known whether it was really necessary. I'm praying for you as you consider whether to stay with your MO and I'm praying you'll do well on the anastrozole. Any joint discomfort I've had with this hormone blocking drug has been so brief (last only seconds or only a few minutes), it's really not a problem at all. I read that if joint discomfort is on both sides at the same time, then it's the drug and if the joint discomfort is just in various places like you are already use to then it's fibromylagia. 

I enjoyed the hymn sharing and "It's Well With My Soul" is one of my favorite hymns!  The story about it was one of the first ones I heard many years ago as a young Christian and it's always had a impact on me. 

Lucy - I'm not sure if anyone answered your question about getting the emails with these posts. To do so, go to "My Favorite Topics" where you can select the boards you like to keep informed about and select "add email notification". Then you'll be able to see in your email all the postings. I like doing that because I can read the posts daily whereas I'm only on this site every few days. The only disadvantage to the email is that you can't respond like you can on the actual site. 

Hope you all have a very blessed Lord's Day!!!

love, Deborah

• Deborahanne
    edited July 2014

Sue - you continue to be in my prayers! You are an encouragement to us as you deal with such difficulties with grace and still with some humor. Enjoy the soft hair like you had as a baby. :-)

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

Hi Warriors,

Thanks for the info on setting up the email notifications...it worked. It is so cool to be notified when a post has been made. Also I am able to respond by clicking on the link and it takes me to the site and I just log in. 

Well had a great birthday today with some great friends from church. There was 18 of us and it was a blessed time. Tomorrow we get to celebrate with my D and SIL and our GD. The weather has been very warm so it's hard not to be in the sun. The pill I am on along with the med II am on say to avoid the sun. I love being in the sun so it's hard. Oh well...

So ladies have any of you done the genetic testing?  They are recommending I do as I am TN. I will be planning a hysterectomy soon so looking forward to that...not!

Well hitting the bed ladies...have a great day tomorrow and know you're all in my prayers. 

Blessings Abundant... Lucy 

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

I forgot one thing...Sue how is it your chemo is indefinitely?  Just curious as my treatment is for a long time as well. I stopped the chemo but still have the infusion with the Avastin every 2 weeks. The pill is daily. 

Thanks!

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Deborah- Thanks for your input. I have been wrestling with how I am going to proceed. One thought was to email my nurse navigator and sit down and have a frank discussion with her. She works closely with this doctor. I love my RO but she would be afraid to say anything negative so I won't put her on the spot. I do see her at the end of July which is coming fast. I ran into a friend at church today that I hadn't seen for months. She is a bc survivor three years out. She could not tolerate the SE of Anastrozole so she stopped it and basically deals with her surgeon now and no oncologists at all. I also had the thought that if I found myself in that situation I may not have to deal with this doctor in the future. I also think that if I had a recurrence I am not sure I would want to deal with him. I was shocked when I found out he just got out of school in 2008. This guy could have been one of my students! I am praying for guidance. I do see that there are a few other MO's that go to this same clinic I do so I can certainly find out about them through the nurse navigator. I know the author of confusion is NOT God so I do sense there is some spiritual warfare going on now that I have successfully gone through rads and  am giving God the glory.

Lucy- Glad you got the email notification to work. It really is a time saver.

Sharon- By His stripes we are healed. Amen to that for you and for all of us.

Sue- Still praying for you.

Bev- Prayers for your upcoming tests. I may tap your brain for advice on Sedona.

Char- Prayers for PT and more improvement.

Have a great week ladies!