Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2021

I'm so confused. I took my bandage off as instructed (to shower today), and the steri strips completely cover the entire port, not just the stitches. Is that normal? I was going to have them use the port for a CT scan on Wednesday, but that's too soon to pull the strips off I think.

I don't understand why they applied the strips like that.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 705
    edited July 2021

GB, I left my steri-strips alone and let them work themselves off. I did use manicure scissors to cut off any curling edges.

CT techs are very knowledgeable and skilled at accessing ports. Your tech will do what she/he needs to for a successful needle access and will reach out to your surgeon's office if there are any questions or concerns.

• gb2115
    edited July 2021

I wonder if day 5 would be too soon to pull off the strips? I worry about the incision not being healed enough yet. The alternative would be letting them try IV access. <<Shudder>>

However, the OR RN did a fine IV for me yesterday. No bruise even. Never had it like that before.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited July 2021

Wow. Lots happening since I last posted. I took some rare time to sit on my patio last night and then watch a movie and didn't check my email until today.

Hershey, SOOOOOOOOOO happy for you and what a great way to start a 4th of July weekend!!!!!!!! When I finished my radiation on July 3 I told myself all those fireworks the next day were in celebration of me finishing my treatments. LOL You can say that too now.

GB. I have had plenty of CT scans but I have not had a port placement so I am afraid I am no help at all. If you are still very stressed by it I would call that triage nurse you spoke of. I know all of this new stuff can be nerve racking.

Ade, sorry you are experiencing the gut misery too. Actually my digestive tract has not settled into normal yet so foods that I can usually eat are now causing me trouble. Cammie is still have very loose stools which is a real mess since she doesn't do number 2 in her box but outside of it. I have kitty pads covering the whole room but still a mess. I hope you feel better and yours was just a temporary thing. Sounds like you nipped it in the bud. I think my Melotonin is 5mg but I will have to check. One of the ladies quite a few years ago posted banners and started posting devotions. She got to the point where she could no longer do it and that is when I started posting them. She passed away too and was such an inspiration to all of us here. I am sure your friend was as well. I am not on FB but I hear it can get pretty crazy. A little light shown would be a good thing.

Chris, I was wondering where you were. These email notifications are very helpful when they work! Sounds like you do have a lot on your plate. I am not sure what tenting of you condo involves but sounds like it could involve alot of work. Just what you need. Your cruise sounds wonderful. I hope that will work out for you.

I realized I missed some posts that I can't see so I apologize if I missed anyone. I have to get outside and I have a lot going on this weekend so I need to scoot.

Take care everyone and enjoy you July 4th weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited July 2021

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2021

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2021

GB, I was told not to remove the steri-strips so I let them be. They did look pretty gnarly near the end, though. :) My surgeon said the incision healed well, and I had very little scarring. I hope you have a similar outcome.

Happy Independence Day! God Bless the USA!

• gb2115
    edited July 2021

Thank you HersheyKiss. I'm thinking about cancelling my CT scan of the neck on Wednesday because I don't want another IV stick. I don't think the port is useable at the moment with steri strips all over it like this. I'm also not sure the incision looks ok (I can see down through a gap in the top strip--i think the OR did a pretty sloppy job). There's a weird white lump in there. I'm worried it's pus, but my husband said he thinks it's just an area of white skin surrounded by the normal red/pink inflammation. Compared to 24 hours ago it doesn't look worse.

I need to call the surgeon's office anyway to see if I need a follow up, so I can ask them. My doc is on vacation though. Sigh. All of my doctors are on vacation this week.

The CT scan is something extra my radiation oncologist wanted, I think just checking off all the boxes. She even said she didn't expect to see anything. I probably should call them to discuss all of this. I don't want another IV stick unless extremely necessary.

• gb2115
    edited July 2021

I called and described the incision. No one is in the office but they reached out to the other surgeon (who I think is in the OR all day, that's what it sounded like). She's going to see me tomorrow afternoon but I'm to call back if it starts looking way worse. Great, another day to sit and watch symptoms.

I have to get my echo tomorrow before I see her. Hope they can do that around all this mess. It was really hard to get that appointment.

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2021

GB, I'm glad a physician will see you tomorrow. I hope she eases your mind that what you are seeing is just part of the normal healing process.

Getting your echocardiogram out of the way is especially important before receiving adriamycin. It's a relatively benign exam; the technician does all the work while you recline and listen to your heartbeat. :)

Praying for your comfort, healing, and positive outcomes.

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    edited July 2021

Dear sisters in Christ,

You've been on my heart all week. Nancy, I was so relieved to hear the tornado missed your home and you were safe. Two weeks after my lumpectomy and SNLB (11 nodes), I flew my family to Hawaii to repair and clean up a condo we rent year-round. Found it in rough shape which our guests did not share with us. I was quite apprehensive about flying so soon after surgery, which both surgeons said I could do safely, but my integrative MD was more cautious and not happy about the travel. She had me double up on my systemic enzymes, drink tons of water on the flight, and I did wear compression gear on three limbs. We have been here since the 25th and the condo is almost ready for the incoming guests. I have a few more items from Wayfair which FedEx is showing no signs of delivering in time. Praying... no beach time yet but walking up to 6 miles a day which I never did at home. Our little family of three feels so blessed to be together, breathe the air and see God's creation in the beautiful sunsets. We enjoyed the Fourth and thanked God for America. I was supposed to have 1 to 2 doctor appts every day this week, but we extended the trip by cashing in all of my travel points, and I will do two of those appts by telehealth. Thank God for technology. Sometimes it is all a bit much, isn't it?

Ade, I'm glad James is finding relief from the migraines. I continue to pray for you both. Haven't checked out Dr. Blaylock yet. I wonder if he offers a trial for the first monthly update. Is his advice specific to cancer patients? I'm interested to hear more.

Nancy, did you ever learn what befell your integrative MD? Do you or did you take enzymes, either systemic or digestive? Sounds like my own (much shorter) journey. I am continuing with IV C and EDTA chelation IVs but it would certainly help if they were again covered by insurance. My IMD thinks my cancer came about due to my blood type (which on the whole does not digest well or clear cellular debris). I know that chronic severe stress was also involved. With my blood type (A) I will be taking digestive enzymes with every meal until Jesus comes.

GB, you are in my daily prayers. I became worried a few days after surgery that something wasn't healing right, and I sent my swollen photos to both surgeons. No generalized redness, no heat or pain but I was worried about the goose egg under my arm and how the stitches looked. I couldn't reach either for a few days, grew frustrated and lost quite a bit of peace (sorry, Lord) so I well understand that feeling. Both finally responded that it looked like normal healing and not to worry (a bit too late). I will continue in prayer as you begin this treatment. Many have mentioned that fasting the day before chemo is helpful. I wonder if any others here have experience with that.

Denise, welcome and I do have a valuable free resource for you. Tustin Longevity Center (Dr. Rita Ellithorpe). A great many cancer patients have sought her out for decades. She is my doctor. She is nearing 70 and has 40 years of experience (with biochemistry/chem degrees and an additional MD and is published). She LOVES the Lord. She offers a weekly hour-long YouTube Q&A every Monday at 5:30 Pacific time, for anyone with a medical (or cancer) questions. Just type your question into the chat and she will answer you live. "Tustin Longevity Center" on YouTube will lead you there. She has over a year of Q&A videos and I thank God for her as she has substantially eased my bc adventure. I say, "adventure," because like you I feel the Holy Spirit purposefully guiding me through this adventure. I'm grateful for the Lord's direction and constant support. You are each an encouragement to me. I am praying for you as He upholds you with His strength and love.

Hershey, I'm celebrating with you and thanking God for that great news! How wonderful and what great timing with our special National Holiday this week.

Carol, your Yosemite trip sounds amazing. Are you still there or home now? I have not been there since a little girl and would love to see it again. "Great is Thy Faithfulness" is so special to me. Thank you for sharing that.

Chris, about the cruise... if you go, we have a couple who are dear friends in Christ who will be on the October 30 Majestic Princess sailing out of San Diego roundtrip to Mexico. There will be daily Bible Studies onboard the ship. That is how we first met them. If you happen to choose that voyage, I will introduce you. We hope to be on that sailing ourselves, but the cruise line likely will not allow us to sail. I was not keen on trying anything experimental during a cancer diagnosis, so we have been on the international FLCCC protocol for many months and feel it is a gift from God. Ironically, the cruise lines view us as "unprotected" even though those on the FLCCC protocol would be among the healthiest passengers aboard. I am reminded of Ade's successful treatment which it is true has been greatly undermined in the media and would have saved a great many lives this past year if doctors had not had their hands tied by the pharmaceutical giants. When history looks back at this time, I feel that many med. institutions will have much to answer for in dismissing safe early treatment and prophylaxis which was readily available for over a year now. I wonder at it all, but leave it in the Lord's hands.

Love to each of you, even when I am silent, I am here thinking of you and praying for you,

Esther

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited July 2021

Esther, Yosemite was beautiful, as always. We went in through the North Gate and went to Tuolumne Meadows and then Tenaya Lake for a picnic. We were there for part of one day. There were six adults crammed into one car, but we still had fun (they put me in the front seat). The reservations were for Saturday and Sunday, but we were only there on Saturday. I had a summer job during college at a church summer camp at Wawona. Some of my best memories are there... We drove home from Bishop yesterday and had an easy drive. Left there just before 6:00 AM and were home by around 11:30.

I looked up the FLCCC protocol, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. Is it specific to someone who has had COVID?

Even though I'm not working, today feels like a Monday.

May I ask for prayers for a neighbor? She moved in recently (3 months ago, maybe?) and lives alone with her delightful dog. She and dog come up to our porch to visit occasionally, and she has shared with us that she is experiencing some health issues. It might be an autoimmune issue, but I'm not sure of all the details. Anyway, she's stressed with school (acupuncture) and my husband said she looked like she was about to cry when we visited last evening on our porch. I feel bad that I didn't notice that...

She has such a kind heart and I hate to see her suffering. I don't think she is a Christian, so I don't believe that she has that comfort, like we do. However, since intercessory prayer is a powerful weapon against the Enemy, we're "moving her up" (as we like to say) on our prayer list.

Blessings to all,

Carol

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited July 2021

Esther, thank you for thinking of me. We actually already booked our cruise for the end of September, so sadly won't be on with your friends, but it sounds like a similar cruise. I have a scan in two weeks so I am anxious that it reads well so I can go without worrying about changing medicines again. We can get our money back if I am having problems as we went ahead and paid for that. I am praying for good results as my DH really needs to get away. He is retired and spends his days here at home with me. I am also trying to find a digestive routine that works for me. The current medicine I am on (I am stage IV) keeps my bowels doing acrobatics and I would love to have it all settle down. I will check out your resources.

Gb, I continue to pray for your healing. May God surround you with His peace.

May I ask for prayer for my oldest son, Danny, who is going through some personal trauma right now. He lives in New York and is so far away I worry about him. He needs God's touch and salvation.

Thank you. Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2021

Esther, I am so happy to see that you are spending time with family in Hawaii and am impressed that less than one month out from surgery you are walking 6 miles a day. I feel sad that guests left your home in disrepair, though. I pray the repairs go smoothly, deliveries arrive quickly, and you and your family are able to enjoy some relaxing beach time.

Carol and Chris, I will add your neighbor and Danny to my prayer list.

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2021

I just spent a half hour typing a very long post and lost the whole things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't redo it now. Sorry everyone. I am praying.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited July 2021

I saw the surgeon and only the one side of the incision was infected. She cleaned it, antibiotic ointment, redressed it and said keep it dry until my follow up on Friday. Hoping all will be ok by chemo on the 15th. Itchy from adhesive but oh well. Not allowed to puncture the port for my neck CT tomorrow, so prayers they find an easy vein. I'm not allowing multiple sticks and already warned radiation oncology that I will abandon before that happens.

Echo went fine today. The tech was super sweet about going nowhere near the port bandage (which I made into Fort Knox before heading over there)

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2021

GB, I'm glad that your appointments went well yesterday. I hope the physician was able to allay fears about your port. Praying for an easy, uneventful CT scan today.

• gb2115
    edited July 2021

Insurance denied the CT so the office is working on it. I was happy to not get stuck yesterday.

Glad she's looking at the port tomorrow. The incision is looking less infected but the port bump is pretty pink. I have extremely sensitive skin though, so it could just be unhappy from the nonstick pads I have been using. Or the antibiotic ointment. The tape is driving me nuts too, but bandaids would be worse.

Still hoping the port will be ok for first chemo next week. Not sure what they would do if it's not? The irritated incision is awfully close to the port bump, like right along the side practically on it, hope it's ok like that. I'm pretty petite though and very thin in the chest so she probably did the best she could putting it in. Not a ton of space I'm sure.

• Bookpusher
    Bookpusher Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2021

I am glad I found this thread. Just diagnosed with DCIS, grade 3. I will see surgeon next Thursday. It’s all overwhelming at this point. I just stumble through the days, praying every other minute. Sending prayers to all of you out there on this thread.

• intolight
    edited July 2021

Bookpusher, I am sorry you have to be here, but welcome to this thread. I will add you to my prayer list. Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2021

GB, my surgeon placed my port high on the right pec muscle, about 2 inches south of the clavicle. He didn't have a lot of real estate to work with (I'm thin, too). Port placement was on a Friday, and my first chemo infusion was the following Wednesday. The port worked just fine (my sense is that yours will as well).

I've read a couple of ladies' accounts of not having a port placed and using a vein instead. I don't recall if they were receiving AC or another chemo agent, though.

Bookpusher, I'd like to welcome you to the thread as well. I'm adding you to my prayer list.

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2021

Dear Bookpusher. I think all of us have experienced that initial deer in headlights reaction at first hear of our diagnosis. One you meet with your surgeon you will have a much better idea of what you are dealing with. He/she will help you to navigate the first part of this journey you are now on. For myself, once I had a plan in place and knew what was ahead I became laser focused on my treatments and felt a little more in control. This is a great group of Christian women and we will pray for you as you go through this. Feel free to post any time for whatever is on your mind.

Ladies, I will hopefully get caught up since losing my last post. Actually tonight I lost this post and I am on a different computer.

Take care and enjoy the weekend coming up.

Love,

Nancy

• Bookpusher
    Bookpusher Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2021

Chris and Bandwoman,

Thank You for your encouraging words and prayers. I am trying to read and learn, a lot of good info here. But it’s pretty overwhelming right now I do think once I know more and have a plan it will help. Sending prayers to both of you!

• gb2115
    edited July 2021

Oral antibiotics now! I was really hoping she would tell me it all looks normal. Incision is better but the pink over the port bump is not and was not there on Tuesday (I couldn't remember). We don't know if it's irritation from the topical antibiotic/dressing or if it's more infection. It makes sense to try antibiotics to make sure, as much as I hate taking them.

I follow back up with my surgeon on Tues. Chemo still scheduled for Thursday.

Also my mother dying in hospice (breast cancer) and I can't be there (too too far away to manage).

God allowed a whole lot for Job. Kinda feeling like that. Like, is he trying to completely break me?

• intolight
    edited July 2021

Gb, surrounding you in prayer right now that God holds you and provides the strength you need. That is a lot for anyone to bear. Only good things come from God: the rest are earthly woes. Hugs. Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2021

gb, you certainly have a lot on your plate and I can appreciate how overwhelming that must be. We will all be praying for you as you deal with your Mom in hospice and your infection and chemo coming up. You will get through this time with the Lord carrying you. His strength is made perfect in our weakness.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2021

GB, I'm so sorry you can't be with your mom. I pray for her/your comfort and peace during this extraordinarily challenging season. We are here for you.

• gb2115
    edited July 2021

Thank you ladies. I hear she's not doing well today. I don't think it will be long. Keeping an eye on this port as well. I don't have the best feeling about any of this, but I'm only three doses into the antibiotic.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited July 2021

GB ~ praying for you and your mom. I'm so sorry you are dealing with so much. Cast your burdens upon Him, for He cares for you.

Esther, I will try to send you an e-copy of the Blaylock news letter if you message me your email. :o)

Nancy so sorry about the frustration of the vanishing posts! HATE when that happens! I see these things as a test. Then, how am I going to respond? (Ha - sometimes not so well!) :oD

Bookpusher, welcome to the group. I am praying for you too.

Chris, I pray Danny sees the Lord's hand in the solutions He provides and that Danny will open his heart to Jesus in salvation. So glad to hear from you.

Hershey, thank you for all of the encouragement and wisdom you have shared with GB. I am sure you're a big blessing to her.

James and I love to sit in our courtyard late in the evening before bed to view the awesome brilliant star display that we have here in southwest Texas, rehash our day, wind down, and give thanks to God for His blessings. Last night was exceptional. We saw seven satellites and eight shooting stars! Our God is an awesome God!

Blessings to you all,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2021

Hi dear sisters.

I have been a little under the weather but I am going to church today no matter what!!!!!!

I know some of you are going through a scary and uncertain time and this banner is especially for you.

GB, praying for you as you are trying to cope with your Mom's illness, your infection and your upcoming first chemo treatment.

I hope to post to all of you and recreate my lost post from the other day. I do pray for each of you regularly and for your prayer requests so my absence does not mean out of sight out of mind.

I am VERY concerned about Ellen who was a regular on this thread for several years. I asked permission to post and I haven't heard from her but I am going to post hoping it will not be out of line. She and her husband had covid several weeks ago and she has not been well since then but it has become a crisis. She was in the hospital for two weeks and she wrote to me last Monday. They cannot find out what is wrong with her but her heart is involved. Please pray for her recovery even if you don't know her.

Have a good day dear friends.

Love,

Nancy