Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited December 2022

A friend sent me this. It is devotionals for Advent. They are quite short and even have a recorded version. I am going to share this link if you are interested.

https://www.tellingthetruth.org/read/advent

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited December 2022

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear of your continued pain and water situation. Does you city have a "Get it Done" website? I know in San Diego you could post your concern (curbs, potholes, and other issues) on the site and get a response from someone. I did this with a sidewalk issue where I couldn't ride my scooter, and they answered. Of course I lived in tourist town so they took these things seriously. It took a while to fix, but they eventually got it done. It is public so perhaps someone else will see it too.

My cold is getting better although I still have an occasional cough. My headache is improving also although not gone. Thanks for asking.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2022

Nancy, that's my career :-)

It's hard though. I've found when I avoid a bunch of food I tend to get overzealous and my quality of life tanks. I sort of gave myself a vitamin d deficiency when I cut those foods in an honest attempt to control GI issues. I thought sunshine would take care of it. I was very wrong. :-/.

Anyway, I'm attempting to add things to decrease inflammation rather than take things away. We'll see how it goes.

Got a haircut yesterday that I'm not thrilled with. I know it will grow out, but it's hard when you have a mixture of straight, wavy, and ringlets from chemo. Sigh. My family says it looks fine. I'm about to refresh these curls with water and see what happens. I need to look up ALL the verses about vanity and outward appearance.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hi Chris,

I don't think our City has that but I did text this guy who came out before and I got no response so I called him yesterday. I felt bad because he had been sick but he spent a long time on the phone with me troubleshooting. He said he would call me this morning at 8am but it is going on 9 and I haven't heard from him. He was going to offer me a free inspection with a City worker coming out with a camera that can be placed down drains to see if there is a clog. I think he convinced me that my issue is nothing that the City did in replacing the water mains. So I will call him later if I don't hear from him. At least I do think he is trying to help me get to the bottom of this.

GB, I have a feeling you are not one to take supplements. I do hope your new approach will work for you. I care a lot about my hair and I suspect we are not alone in that. The people who know you will understand what you have been through and how chemo has affected your hair.

Wendy, praying your apt today with your oncologist gives you some direction and hope.

Praying for all of you.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited December 2022

Nancy, I’m sorry your pain is increasing. It has to be so difficult because you don’t want “things” to be too hard but not too soft either. I pray for healing and uneventful “events.”

I’m still sleeping a lot but I got the ok to proceed with my scans on Monday.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hi Carol,

I just got on here to post to you and you beat me to it. How are you feeling? How is the rest of your family doing who looked like they were having symptoms of Covid? I am glad you got the green light to have your scans on Monday.

This afternoon I started to feel like I was getting sick. I have had a headache for several days and it got really bad today and I have been chilling. I got very little sleep last night and the guy from the City was to call me at 8am so I got up early and no call. I didn't even feel like calling him again.

My surgery pain in general is about gone but after having bowel movements which are still very painful and lately have seemingly gotten worse I am very concerned about that. It then takes a while for the pain to die down. So this evening I am feeling a bit discouraged especially about the symptoms of possible sickness. I had really been pushing myself with my walking and maybe I went a little overboard with that. I am hoping a good night's sleep will help with this.

Praying you don't have any lingering symptoms from Covid and that you get good results on your scans.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited December 2022

Nancy, all of us who were together at Thanksgiving are starting to feel better. I just talked to my dad and he's doing well, too. Christmas should be great, now that we've all had COVID. I hope you don't have it and that whatever you have passes quickly. I'm sorry the guy from the City didn't call you as promised.

Love and hugs,

Carol

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 777
    edited December 2022

Happy Second Sunday in Advent to All. My reading tells me the second candle represents Love.

Nancy, thank you for posting the daily Advent meditations link. I hope you're continuing to make progress with healing and are feeling better. Do warm sitz baths help?

Carol, I initially missed when you reported that you and your family had covid. Hope you are all feeling better now. The only good thing about covid is the resulting natural immunity. I just read about a Dutch study that showed natural immunity lasts up to 12 months after infection. Prayers going up for good results on your upcoming scans.

In about a week, I'll be starting a new treatment - Xeloda - an oral chemo. This will be my first chemo. I'm admittedly anxious about this new treatment, with the uncertainty about side effects and whether it will be effective, but the support I've received on this website has been such a blessing.

I know there's a lot written about the healing power of laughter. I just found the following quote, attributed (perhaps incorrectly) to St Ignatius of Loyola: Laugh and Grow Strong....that I posted on the wall by my computer.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Carol, sorry I am just now responding. I bought a new cell phone my first week home from surgery knowing I would have many hours in my recliner to research and take my mind off of things. I spent a long time trying to figure the best way of moving data from the old phone to the new one. I finally got it activated last night and I was trying to do this online and ran into trouble so I had to call customer service. It was a very long night but it is now activated. I loved my old phone but it was losing battery so fast I knew it was time.

I am glad your family is all doing better. Yes, your Christmas should be great. We have a lot of Covid and flu and RSV so lots going around so I am still being careful.

I was not able to get back to church today as I had hoped. I have had many nights with so much trouble sleeping and last night was one of them. I decided it would be better to get more sleep and watch online which I did.

I think I may have an infection at my surgery site. Even though infections are rare for this type of surgery (seems surprising to me) it just occurred to me tonight that this may be what is going on. My skin is red and burning which is not good as this has been going on for some time. I had been chilling but never checked to see if I had temp. I usually know if I do. So now I am trying to figure what to do. My surgeon would not be able to see me very quickly so it is a dilemma. I would probably go to urgent care. I really hate the thought of more antibiotics as I have had way too much of them the last couple of years. They really do a number on my GI tract.

Wendy, I can only imagine starting a new chemo drug can be very scary. We will be praying for you that all goes well and it will do it's intended job with manageable side effects. I definitely believe laughter is great medicine. Proverbs 17:22 Says a cheerful heart is good medicine. Right before my surgery I was on the phone with a neighbor and I was sharing a funny story with her and we laughed and laughed and it felt so good during a very stressful time. There is a very funny Christian comedian and she has a documentary on Netflix. Her name is Chonda Pierce. She has gone through some tough things so not all of it is funny but she is funny when she is on stage and might be worth looking into.

Regarding Sitz baths I have done many, many of those and still soak in the tub. I bought a little sitz bath before my surgery and spend a long time on that thing. They really were very helpful and still are.

Praying for great results for you.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited December 2022

Wendy, I was on Xeloda for a year and did pretty well on it. I am now on Verzenio and actually like it better (if you can like any oral chemo.) Don't be afraid of them...I have been on oral chemo for 6 1/2 years and am now NED so I believe in them. Of course faith is important too!

Nancy, I assume you didn't get your new phone from a "store" as they usually activate them and change data over for you. I hope you like yours. I am sorry you fear an infection, but you need to get it taken care of quickly to avoid sepsis...

We spent half of today at the North Pole (Santa's Villege) in 30+ degree weather. It was cold, but I managed fine. It was extremely hilly so I rode my scooter and tucked a blanket around me. Visiting the "North Pole" is one of the plus's of living in the mountains. It was worth facing the cold to watch the wonder in my granddaughter's eyes. Christmas can be so magical for a child! We fear it is her last year believing in Santa as she is seven now.

I can't believe I do not have a doctor's appointment scheduled for another thirty days. Amazing for me!

Have a good week everyone. Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hi ladies,

It is quite late but I wanted to give you and update. I have been having a lot of issues with insomnia and last night at 2:30 am I messaged my surgeon and told him of my fear of infection. I put as the subject urgent thinking that I would at least get a response in the beginning of their day. That didn't happen so I called to make an apt at urgent care and the person said they have no available apts. but I could walk in. I also found out I couldn't get into my primary doctor until tomorrow and I felt this couldn't wait. Anyway I was quite surprised when I had a fever when there. Usually I know right off because I am miserable. My usual temp is way low in the 96-97 ish range so 99.8 for me is pretty high. l the doctor was thinking there are two issues going on here. Anyway long story shorter he felt NO hemorrhoids PTL but he thinks I have a fungal rash. I am still feeling like I am passing glass shards during a bowel movement and I just don't think that is normal this late in my recovery. They did a few tests and I don't have Covid or the flu or RSV or a UTI. My last brain scan in August that I have had yearly for this brain tumor said that I have chronic sinus disease. So the doctor thinks maybe a sinus infection. I forgot to tell him about my ear issues so I think it could be an ear infection. I had to wait a very long time in the waiting room packed full of people and many coughing. One lady near me when she had a coughing fit she would pull off her mask. I am praying I don't catch anything from them. I came away with an antibiotic which the doctor called me at my house once the tests came back. He thinks this antibiotic would help my sinus infection and the surgery site if it is infected and then he insisted on me taking this one probiotic since I told him I was having a lot of Gi issues. I already take two probiotics but I did oblige. I have an ointment for the rash and hopefully this will knock out anything in me. One of his diagnosis was something I had never heard of before when reading his notes. It had to do with unexplained fever. Because of all of this I didn't have chance to call the City worker regarding my water issue and where we stand on that. I have so many issues I was starting to feel very overwhelmed.

Chris, regarding my phone I have used Tracfones for many years and I did buy another Tracfone. It is a fairly new Android phone which just came out in March and it is not at all what the Tracfones of years ago were like. This has so many features trying to figure out some basic things has been frustrating but I finally figured out some things important to me. I realized that in my transfer only a small portion of my contacts actually transferred so more to learn. Since I bought it on their website there are no brick and mortar stores that I am aware of to help with the transfer of data. I am glad Bria got to enjoy going to the North Pole and I am glad you were able to be there as well. The magic of Christmas through a child's eyes is somethings special. I hope you are feeling better and your cough is getting better.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hi Carol,

I will pray for a complete recovery for both you and your DH. I do hope your meds will knock out any of these new findings and very glad you don't have brain mets. I hope your MO will have some insight for you and direction with these latest scans.

I am sorry for my very long ramble above. I have a theory from that day in urgent care. I really doubt that I have a sinus infection OR fever. My temp is right back to way below normal. I was sitting in a warm waiting room for well over an 1 1/2 with my KN95 mask on. I always feel miserable with even a tiny bit of fever. I felt nothing like that. This doctor initially didn't think I had an infection internally but when talking on the phone he said "if" I did this antibiotic would knock it out along with the supposed sinus infection. I don't think he would have given me an AB if it were not for the supposed sinus infection. So I am really praying that this will stop this pain I have been having due to the surgery. He only gave me five days worth of AB which is being quite conservative so we'll see.

I do hope you all feel better very soon.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited December 2022

Nancy, I really hope that the antibiotics will take care of any infection. I think you may be on to something. Your description of sitting in the warm waiting room (for 1.5 hours, no less!) reminded me of my elementary school nurse telling students before taking their temperatures, "Take off your coat, remove your hat and mittens, and cool off for a minute. "

Carol, I'm glad that you and your husband are feeling better. I hope that your MO provides clear direction and information at your upcoming appointment.

My husband tested positive for COVID this morning on two consecutive home tests. He sees his MD after work today for confirmation. I tested negative this morning and will test again in 48 hours. So far, I am experiencing no symptoms.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hershey, I am really sorry to hear that Covid has hit your family and this time in your household. I am not sure what one does to avoid contracting it once it is in your household but I am praying your husband will have a mild case and that you won't get it.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

• scar1888
    scar1888 Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2022

Not been here in a few years! Hi all!

I went through breast cancer in '97 and am now, yes, a 25 year survivor! I'm so blessed in that it was stage 3; a one cm tumor and 4 positive lymph nodes. I had a left mastectomy and 12 chemos, (the old drugs) and 35 rads. At this time there weren't other 'tests' to predict exactly what you had except the estrogen test and mine was positive.

In '08 i came back positive for the BRCA 2 GENE and a month later had right mastectomy and ovaries removed. Even with these years that have gone by I still deal with severe, severe fatgiue, to the point I could no longer work. I'd much rather be working. I tried to teach for three years and stayed in trouble due to; mixed reasons but mainly impossible to maintain a job teaching gifted students at two different schools. You have to feel 150% WONDERFUL to have done a good job doing this. I found that workng with gifted children was more of a challenge than working with the lower functioning exceptional children.

I'd love to hear from all of you; any of you. Christmas will be spent alone with my dear yorkie. Family will be in Philly and do NOT want to make about a nine hour trip.

God bless each of you and Merry Christmas. I'll check in tomorrow night.

Scarlett

• intolight
    edited December 2022

Scarlett, glad to hear from you and that you are a 25 year survivor--wow! I also taught gifted students in two schools at a time for fourteen years! But that was before my diagnosis and I can't imagine doing it while undergoing treatment. You are correct that it was a constant challenge. Kudos to you for hanging in there for three years. I continued my career teaching at a university but retired from there because of fatigue and additional issues. It was tough enough! I am sorry to read you will be celebrating Christmas without your family. Hold your Yorkie tight and stay warm.

Hershey, how are you feeling today? Are you still well? I am praying for a quick recovery from Covid for your husband and that you and your family will be able to celebrate Christmas feeling well.

Nancy, any improvement? You are in my constant prayers. Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hi ladies,

I am in a big hurry so will have to make this short

Welcome Scarlett. Kudos on 25yrs. Yeah. I too had some gifted children in my band (I'm was a band director mainly elementary and junior high) and those children really keep you on your toes for sure.

Chris, my surgeon's office called me yesterday. I was quite surprised. He wanted to see me today so I am rushing around trying to get ready. Thankfully my dexa scan was in the same building so it worked out. I will probably have a lot of wait time. I am anxious to see what he thinks and at the same time afraid of him saying well we may need more surgery. We'll see.

Got to get my bath. Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited December 2022

Scarlett, welcome to this lovely group of ladies! We're glad you are here.

Hershey, I hope your DH is starting to feel better. My DH is feeling better and today is the first day that I feel like I have a bit of my old energy back. Yay!

I was hoping to see our kids this weekend, but other family visits took priority for them. Plus, we were afraid of giving them our COVID bugs.

Nancy, HALLELUJAH! I'm looking forward to hearing back after your doctor's appointment.

To all the rest, I wish you a peaceful day, filled with rest (or lots of activity - depending on what you need).

Love and prayers,

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited December 2022

Welcome Scarlett! I'm glad that you found our little group. Please come and post as often as you wish.

Nancy, I hope your visit with the surgeon was an encouraging one.

Carol, I'm happy that you and your husband are feeling better. Were you prescribed Paxlovid by chance?

Thank you all for your prayers and support. I tested COVID negative again this morning. That's two consecutive home tests, and I'll take another one on Sunday. My husband was prescribed Paxlovid and started on Wednesday night. Other than feeling run down, his symptoms are greatly reduced. It was a game changer for him.

• sunshine99
    edited December 2022

Hershey, I didn’t get the Pax drug as far as I know. I did get bags of IV antibiotics and fluids and another antibiotic pill after I was discharged.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Hi ladies,

I came home today and just crashed. It was non stop raining and dreary and I was exhausted from sitting in waiting rooms all afternoon. Crazy huh? I had to wait an hour for my surgeon to finally see me. He didn't see any infection and apparently the rash is gone. Hard for me to really see. And I am certainly not going to ask a neighbor to check for me. LOL He thinks I need a stool softener. YIKES I just went along and listened thinking that is the LAST thing I need. He said after getting off the antibiotics then try the stool softener for a couple of weeks and if that feeling of passing shard of glass doesn't go away that we can step it up. I was fearing that meant some additional surgery but he said it would be a suppository to relax that area. When I asked him if it could be nerve endings still healing he didn't respond. He did say I could be spasming. So the saga continues so we'll see what happens. I am supposed to use this ointment for 14 days for the rash that is gone now. UMMM Sometimes you just don't know what to do when you think the doctors may have misdiagnosed an issue. I think it was contact dermatitis but won't go into all of that.

I then after waiting another hour had my bone density scan and got results before I even got home. Normal. Thank God for one less issue to deal with.

I have not shared that Cammie my cat has stopped using her litter box. I think some of you were here when this happened a few years ago and I never went through such stress and now here we are again. I just had my carpet cleaned before my surgery and paid extra for the pet odor treatment.

Carol, I am so glad you are feeling better and your DH is also. Hershey we'll keep praying you will be protected from getting Covid from your DH. So glad the Paxlovid has helped him. When I went to urgent care in the summer that was not even given to me as an option but they did the monoclonal antibody that had just come out for Omicron. That was given in an IV so obviously not something your primary doctor is going to have time to deal with. It seems now Paxlovid is the drug they are pushing now for Covid.

I still have to clean up my kitchen. UGH It is only 10 PM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good night all.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited December 2022

Nancy, I am so sorry the surgeon was unable to help you more but yay for the bone scan! I am sure you are also frustrated with Cammie again. I will pray things resolve before Christmas. You need a break!

The puppy chewed up my best slippers yesterday, but my granddaughter said "Don't worry Nana. Mommy already bought you a new pair for Christmas." Gotta love seven year-olds!

• sunshine99
    edited December 2022

Good morning, ladies. I had a sleepless night last night. No idea why. Oh well.

Nancy, I hope you continue to heal, and that Cammie's issues are resolved.

Intolight, I'm sorry about your favorite slippers, but you're right. You gotta love seven year-olds.

I hope everyone has a restful weekend.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2022

Carol, we should hang out on those sleepless nights. Me too. This is getting to be a regular thing. I had started watching this movie on Netflix and then went to bed knowing it would be too late to finish it. Well I got up because I couldn't sleep and finished the movie. Oh wow. This was quite a movie which i would highly recommend. It is called Little Boy. An emotional roller coaster for sure but a movie about faith and love.

Chris, I woke up this morning to find Cammie had used her litter box. You could probably hear the sigh of relief and praising God clear from CO. I had to laugh at your slippers story. God love your little granddaughter. I have never dealt with a puppy. My parents got a full sized Collie (or it was in my mind) when I was maybe four. I had a little red sweater on and I was in our back yard and yes with the white picket fence. That dog absolutely ran me over and chewed on my sweater. LOL Well, that dog went back to the farm where they got it. It might have survived but I may not have!!!!!

Teka, still praying for you.

Have a good day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• weninwi
    edited December 2022

Happy third Sunday of Advent to All - Sometimes called Gaudete Sunday or Rose Sunday and represented by the pink candle in the Advent wreath. Gaudete is Latin for "Rejoice". The theme of this day is joy in anticipation of the approach of the Christmas celebration. The protestant church I attended as a child always had a large advent wreath, but it wasn't until I was much older that I started to learn the meaning of the different candle colors.

Nancy, I like the scriptures with photos that you post from time to time. Hope you are continuing to heal after your surgery. Healing seems to take longer as we get older.

Carol, how did your scans turn out? Hope it was good news.

I continue to hold up all women with breast cancer in my prayers. I've gained so much support from the women who share on BCO and I share when I think I have something that might be helpful. Often it is a silent prayer.

I've started my new treatment - an oral chemo - that has hand-foot syndrome (an inflammatory condition) as a side effect. Last night, after only the second dose, I was awakened with the sensation that my feet were on fire. I got up drank some water, the sensation calmed down, and thankfully I was able to go back to sleep. My hope is that I don't loose the ability to do my daily walk outside. I've been trying to drink plenty of water every day - I think it helps. I've read that 11.5 cups per day for women is a good goal...but with the caution that too much water is not good.

• sunshine99
    edited December 2022

Wendy, I never knew about the colored candles! How interesting!

My scans showed a couple of things. The CT scan showed some "groundglass opacity" in my lungs, but I'm thinking that it's related to the SARS-COVID thing. I'll see my MO tomorrow and will ask her about it. The bone scan showed "multifocal bony metastatic disease that appears slightly more conspicuous than on prior examination". I think it's good, overall. I've been off my Ibrance for two weeks, but will probably start up tomorrow after I see my MO.

I've escaped the H&F thing, so far. Are you taking Ibrance?

Wishing everyone a blessed Sunday. Nancy, I'm continuing to pray for you (and Cammie).

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight
    edited December 2022

Wendy, are you on Xeloda? I was on it and did well for a year until I started progression. Yes, drink plenty of water and don't wait for your HnF to get bad. Be proactive. Use the creams others suggest. I never got so bad I had to buy and wear special socks, etc., but I was careful. The worse for me was mouth sores so I used "magic mouthwash." It really helped my mouth but changed my tastebuds while I was on it. It is always something! I will pray you have a long, easy run.

Carol, keep tabs on your "ground glass opacities." Mine got so bad last Christmas it put me into the hospital for five days and I had to go on steroids for three months. But I am totally healed now and my lungs are doing great even in the high altitude where I now live. Part of the problem was the ER kept thinking I had pneumonia and missed the real issue although I did not have all the signs for pneumonia. I will pray yours resolves quickly.

Nancy, I am glad Cammie is using her box. I pray daily your pain and insomnia also resolve. I had a rough day yesterday and ended up taking a pain pill last night but slept well. We took our granddaughter to a birthday party at the other end of town and went out to dinner while waiting for her. I am just thankful I didn't have an accident while so far from home. Made me realize I probably will not travel far anymore. Made me sad...

I will worship online today and praise God for how far He has brought me. A year ago I didn't think I would survive last Christmas.

Love you all, Chris

• weninwi
    edited December 2022

intolight and Carol,

I just started Xeloda on the 14 days on - 7 days off schedule. I'm hoping my MO will eventually agree to a 7 days on - 7 days off schedule as this schedule seems to help reduce side effects, based on responses I've gotten from women taking this drug.

I'm not familiar with "magic mouthwash". A quick Google search indicates several ingredients can be used. Did you get it prescribed by your MO? Did a compounding pharmacy make it for you or did you buy it ready made? I do have dexamethasone mouth wash from when I was on Everolimus, but I'm not sure I should use it now. I need to ask my MO. I definitely want to avoid mouth sores as I'm also on Zometa, which carries the risk of jaw bone necrosis.

Carol, my understanding is that hand-foot syndrome is associated with chemo, not targeted therapies. Hope your lung changes are due to covid, like you think, and that your bone changes are still mostly stable.

• hersheykiss
    edited December 2022

Nancy, I hope you had a good night's rest and Cammie continues to use the litterbox. It must be very disappointing when Cammie chooses to do her business on your clean floors.

This morning's COVID test was negative again. That makes 3 consecutive negative home tests for me, each 48 hours apart. I'm not sure how long I keep testing, though. I haven't found any definitive test information when one household member is COVID positive and the other is negative.