Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited February 2023

Teka and Hershey, I am thinking about making an apt. with my dermatologist but she is very hard to get into. I may have another possible fungal infection and I still have a little bit of ointment from urgent care several weeks ago. I have been decreasing my fiber intake ( I know, opposite of most people) as I suspected for some time that this would help and I think I am on the right track with that. In some ways things are improving but this infection or whatever has been awful.

Chris, I know you have scans this week. Prayers for strength to do them and for a good result.

GB, praying your dental apt goes really smoothly with no problems!!!

While everyone was having their Super Bowl parties I got most of my tax prep done for my tax guy and I did watch the game. For the diehard football fans (not me) it was a really good game. I loved the commercial with the triangles being the retired band director that I am. LOL

It is another sunny day here and above temps so I am loving this pre spring weather.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited February 2023

Nancy hope you can get things cleared. I had an appt with my dermatologist last week and still have marks from the dozen places on my face she froze. She also did a biopsy on my arm and I am waiting for that result. I am eating lunch waiting for the 3 hours to pass between infusion and bone scan. I am supposed to have a CT scan Wednesday but there is a forecast of a heavy snow starting Tues night so I don't know if that will happen. So I feel like medicine has ruled my time right now. I M hoping for calm for my birthday Friday. I need it. In the meantime it is 52 degrees and I all enjoying it. How is Cammie? Prayers for peace for everyone who faces scans and medicine changes this week. Love, Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

Chris, you have so much going on. Praying that your biopsy will be okay. Praying for your scans. Praying your scans go well and that you will be able to get to your CT scan on Wed. Your weather sounds as crazy as ours does. Sometimes it feels like whiplash. We haven't got much snow at all though but I know you do. I can't imagine having the weather dictate if I can get to my medical apts or not. That has to be challenging. Enjoy your 52 degrees while it lasts.

Thank you for asking about both of us.

Cammie won't start her steroids until Thursday when I have to pick it up from the vet. It is a compounding ointment which I will have to use daily in her ear. The whole daily thing is pretty daunting. I had to give her appetite stimulant in her ear and she hated that and it wasn't daily but only as needed. I am very concerned about her. She is laying in the sun right now and seems content but I know so much of the time she doesn't feel well.

Wheatfields, how is your eye doing? How is that dull pain?

Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited February 2023

Thank you, Nancy! I couldn't sleep last night and was trying to find an audio book to listen to. Everything was annoying, so that didn't help. I'd like to find an audio version of the Bible. Maybe NKJV or NIV or something like that. I listened to a few samples on Amazon, but some were read so fast as to be distracting. I want a calm voice, too. I listened to a sample read by James Earl Jones. There was even one read by Johnny Cash.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Of course, I prefer free, but I'd be willing to pay to listen to a good reader. I'd like it NOT to be on a set of CDs as I'd like to download it to my phone.

Carol

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2023

Hello Ladies,

Chris, praying that you are having a good week filled with good reports. Carol, continuing in prayer for you, I'm sorry I don't have any answers on your question but I'm sure one of the ladies will have. GB praying that the dental work is going well. And Nancy thank you again for another beautiful banner. Praying for a solution for your pain and discomfort and for Cammie. I was at the ophthalmologist today and can reduce the steroid drops to once a day for a week and the antibiotic now twice a day for a week. Then I come back in 2 weeks. He said it is looking better, and checked the pressure which can go up with steroid drops. It was at 24, but he said since I go back to once a day it should come back down. Thank you for your prayers on the eye issue. This is my good eye, the other one I don't see well enough to drive or read, and this is also the eye that "hears" lip reading. We had a couple more inches of snow last night but the temperatures had been wonderful, even up to 47 one day. Have a blessed rest of the week.

Love, Wheatfields

• intolight
    edited February 2023

Wheatfields, Glad your eye is doing better.

Carol, I don't do audio books yet so I don't have a suggestion for you, but it would be nice to just relax and hear a book or the Bible once in a while. I will watch for you to have a good solution.

Nancy, how are you feeling? How did your doctor appt go? Do you have Cammie's test results yet?

I just returned on snowy roads from my CT scan. It was a little slippery with blowing snow everywhere as it is also windy, but we are safe. I am thankful for my daughter who drove for me. We have a good SUV. Oddly enough we bought it while in San Diego but it is fully loaded for snow with seat and steering wheel warmers, etc. It was originally ordered in Michigan and we bought it used. We had no idea at the time we would be moving and need the extras but God knew ahead of time we would need it. Isn't His prevenient grace marvelous!!! My DH feels his reaction time is slowing and is not comfortable driving in the snow so he didn't want to drive me. We got about 8 inches so far this storm, and my DH shoveled the driveway a couple of times so we could get out. It is only 8* and very windy. I am thankful for a warm home and family.

Take care and be warm. Love, Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

Carol, I had a several year period during my cancer treatments and after that I exclusively did my Bible reading online. I was doing this on my computer. I used Bible Gateway and I only used the free one even though they wanted to sell you more. It has a ton of Bible versions to choose from and there is an audio portion. I used this older gentleman (name I don't remember) and his voice was very soothing and at the right pace for me which is not fast. You should be able to find an app on your phone with that one but that might be a small fee. Hope that helps. I have had quite a few nights of insomnia. Interesting that my suppositories which was deemed not helpful I have discontinued but it could have helped my sleep. When I stopped it I started having several sleepless nights.

Wheatfields, I will be praying that your one good eye that is still being treated will get back to normal pressure. Glad you will be seeing your eye dr. again to check on it.

Chris, I'm glad your daughter was able to drive you to your CT scan today. When we actually realize how God provides for us all the time sometimes it is mind blowing and other times it is this quiet realization that He is always there providing for us and fighting for us behind the scenes. It is always a blessing when we see tangible evidence of it as your SUV is for you now. Praying for good results from all of your scans.

I have a crazy and very upsetting story regarding Cammie. I had a sleepless night on Monday night. I spent a long time with my Bible study homework for my Tues night zoom session. I was just getting ready to take a short nap and Cammie likes to jump on my lap when I have "our" blanket over me. When she jumped up I had seen something dark on her hind leg which should have been white. At closer inspection from my perspective it looked like a bone protruding out of her hind leg. I am smart enough not to mess with her in certain places so her leg was off limits. I immediately called the vet as I was in shock and didn't know what to do. This vet has not ever worked Cammie in her schedule in the past but since she just saw her for the ultrasound workup last Wed they told me to come right away. Cammie is always sedated at the vets but I prep her by withholding food the night before. Of course that couldn't happen. So I sat in the waiting room and it truly sounded like someone in the back trying to kill a wild animal. This went on for quite a long time and at one point I asked the girl at the desk if that was Cammie and she said yes. I had never heard such horrible sounds coming from her and I thought she was in pain. I was just dying inside and very close to having a meltdown in the waiting room. Finally the vet came out and said it was a bandage they had not taken off of her from her last week's visit. I felt foolish and voiced that but she said no I did the right thing. I felt like a limp rag when I found out it was nothing serious and that her wild animal sounds were from fear and not from pain. I did make it back for my Bible study and I figured Cammie would never "speak" to me again but tonight she jumped up on "our" blanket again so all is well for now. Whew!!!!!

I am still waiting for her compounding med to come hopefully on Thursday. It goes to the vet's office so I will have to make another drive out of town for that. I chose not to do the biopsy to see if it was lymphoma because the treatment is very similar to irritable bowel disease which we know she has. The biopsy would have been $2000 and I didn't want to put Cammie through a major surgery at her age if not absolutely necessary. So I am praying that this steroid that I will have to use daily in her ear will work to help her weight stabilize. She is having trouble jumping up on things now and I am guessing because she has lost a lot of muscle mass in her weight loss. This morning her first attempt at jumping on my bed failed. I don't ever remember seeing that happen before. It is really hard to watch even though she did finally make it on the bed.

I called for a dermatologist apt for me and I was doing an online schedule. She had only one apt in March and by the time I filled in all of the blanks that spot was taken. So I had to call and right now can't get in until April 3. I asked to be put on a wait list. I don't know if I mentioned this before but my surgeon said I have a break in my skin which hopefully that is the reason for my pain. He was quick to say that was not the area worked on during surgery. I am doing his protocol for that which is cumbersome and reminding me of post surgery. I asked if it would eventually heal and he said it should. I would have preferred a more definitive answer but I have had some positive results trying to adjust my fiber intake. I still have pain but it is better I think. The misery now is from this rash and that makes the whole area painful. One day I hope to wake up and be able to check this off of my list of ongoing problems but for now I have to take it one day at a time. In our Beth Moore study we have been studying the manna that God provided the Israelites in the desert. I never realized that other than the obvious provision he gives us daily I never thought of it it terms of mercy and grace and how he doles those out to us according to our need for THAT day. That has really impacted me in a big way. I can't look to tomorrow and worry about that provision because God hasn't give me that yet. This is one of those lessons I think I will never forget.

Have a good night dear sisters. Thank you all for your concern for me and for Cammie.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

Carol, Max McLean is the man who I used when listening to the NIV audio version on Bible Gateway. I am not sure if he is on other versions or not but you can check it out.

I hope we both get a good night's sleep tonight.

Love,

Nancy

• luvdbyhim
    luvdbyhim Member Posts: 190
    edited February 2023

Carol, When I was dx my girl friend bought me a membership to Dwell. I have no idea what it costs but you have the choice of like 12 different voices to listen to. I also believe there are several different bible translations to choose from.

Also BLB.org will read to you. I think some parts are free and some you can pay for if you choose. I have never paid for these audios.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2023

The dental work was rather traumatic for me. I should have paid $300 for them to monitor me with Ativan.

I'm still in pain and a little swollen. They made deep cleaning around two teeth seem like no big deal but I've been in significant pain, and they're still bleeding a little. I guess it will get better. There's one spot on my gum that is really inflamed but I remember sge really has to dig at that area. I think it all hurts less this morning. It's been hard to eat because it was a molar on each side. It's only been 48 hours though, just barely.

I'm going to be honest. Having gum problems and getting that Zometa makes me pretty nervous. I asked them to delay the infusion a month and they did, but I need to talk to the MO about this at my next appointment.

• intolight
    edited February 2023

gb, I will be praying for a quick healing from your dental work. I shouldn't have read your post as I have high anxiety with dental work and I have a dental appointment the 23rd with a new dentist. I also am on Zometa and have the same fears you have. It has been over a year since my last dental appointment. I loved my last dentist as he understood all my issues with kindness and care. I am going in ready to explain everything and be one of "those" patients. If they don't like it I will go somewhere else. I am supposed to have my Zometa injection the next day but I see my oncologist Monday the 20th so I will see if she wants to delay it. I also have a Faslodex scheduled the same day. These treatments are getting wearing...

On a good note, my bone scan is clear and I think my CT scan was too although the radiologist was very thorough and mentioned every little thing...some of which I think are just old age and other issues. I will know more on Monday. I am praising God anyway! Littlebear, I had extensive mets when I was first diagnosed over six years ago and have now been completely clear, NED, since June. God is good and is still in the miracle business!

Blessings, Chris

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703
    edited February 2023

GB, the periodontal work sounds quite traumatic. I will pray for your speedy recovery. My husband is scheduled for two deep cleanings over the next three weeks, and yes, the periodontist is making them seem like no big deals. Dental work and fear are very real for my husband.

Chris, yay on the clear bone scan!

Wheatfields, I'm so pleased that your ophthalmologist sees good progress with your eye.

Nancy, it must have been so hard sitting in the waiting room and hearing poor Cammie cry. I'm sorry you had to experience that. The Beth Moore study sounds amazing, and the perspective on provision is not one I've heard taught before. I appreciate you sharing it here.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

Luvdbyhim, welcome. Feel free to post anytime. Thanks for you input.

GB, I am really sorry to hear your dental experience. I am praying that your soreness will go away and no more bleeding.

Chris, that is GREAT news!!!!! We will be praying for your dental work on the 23rd. I am in the dark understanding how the different treatments work with dental apts. Maybe someone can enlighten me so I have a better understanding of it.

Littlebear, how are you doing?

Thank you Hershey. Yes, it was really difficult hearing Cammie sounding like a wild animal. I am praying her meds come in today. I am waiting on the call from the vet. BTW my sister said she was going to go ahead with the Prolia. She had a heart episode while wearing the heart monitor so she is going to be adding a blood thinner to the mix. I know this is really a hard pill to swallow. No pun intended.

Someone has a special day tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's help Chris celebrate her birthday tomorrow.

Have a good day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited February 2023

Nancy, Zometa is a zoledronic acid that is used when cancer is found in the bones to slow bone weakening. But it also slows wound healing in tooth extractions. When cancer spreads to the bone, it can cause pain, fractures, and other problems. Clinical guidelines recommend that patients whose cancer has spread to their bones receive regular infusions of a bone-modifying drug, such as zoledronic acid (Zometa), to help manage these complications. The danger is there is a slight chance it causes osteonecrosis of the jaw, a rare but potentially debilitating condition in which bone tissue in the jaw is no longer covered by the gums and starts to die. We have to be alert to jaw pain. The risk increases 1% with every year of use.

Routine dental care in encouraged but it gets complicated with mouth sores, etc. I was told to use a water pik instead of floss and I alwo use a baking soda rinse. Hope this helps.

Chris

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2023

I didn't mean to scare anyone with osteonecrosis talk...I'm probably at lower risk (maybe?), since I get it twice a year, but now all of a sudden having periodontal problems is making me feel spooked.

My gums are turning a corner. It still hurts to chew more solid things, but I just enjoyed a lunch of EZ Mac, steamed broccoli and hummus (surprisingly good mixed in with the broccoli) and only have a little bit of milf throbbing at the gum line.

I think I have a degree of nerve sensitivity in my jaws (along with the grinding and clenching I do). I think the large number of numbing shots they had to put back there really set it off. I think that's what has been making my teeth ache (referred pain) and is why painkillers weren't touching it.

Fettuccine Alfredo for dinner, should be good!

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tld2017
    tld2017 Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2023

New to this thread. Recently found out that my cancer has spread to my lower spine, or sacrum, I believe it's called. My CT and bone scans were done several days ago and I'll find out the full scope of progression on the 23rd. My faith and my family are holding me up, but I'm still terrified. My oncologist was very dire in our conversation and if it is all as he suspects, my prognosis is not good. Just wanted to post here, so that I could pray for you and you could pray for me. God bless you all on this difficult journey we are on. Tricia

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

Tricia, welcome. I am very sorry to hear what you are going through. We will certainly be praying for you. Please post any time. This is a great place for pray and encouragement. Praying for supernatural peace as you find out your results on the 23rd.

GB, I am praying that you have a good weekend and that your pain is going away.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited February 2023

Tricia, welcome to our little family here. I am sorry to read of your progression and I will be praying for you. I believe in a God of miracles as He has performed many for me and others on this thread. Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited February 2023

Tricia, welcome to our little group. I'm so sorry you received news of progression to your sacrum. Please post here as often as you wish. We will be praying for you.

Ade, if you are reading along, I've been thinking about you and James and the train derailment in Ohio. I hope you and your family are safe and not affected by this troubling situation. You are in my prayers.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited February 2023

Hershey, I just want to pop in to thank you for thinking of me regarding the train derailment in Ohio. I heard it can affect things in a 200-mile radius, as far as even KY, which would be pretty much most of us. I think there is so much more than the news is reporting. We watch The First and OAN and FOX's Tucker Carlson & they actually HAVE been reporting truth on it. There have been SEVERAL of these derailments in various parts lately (TX, SC, and 2 more besides OH). Not counting the 92 mysterious food processing plants throughout the country the past 2 years! Time will tell unfortunately. Joann has a relative IN the town and she only lives an hour away from it. Anyway, I appreciate the thoughts and prayers and am praying for all of you. Blessings, Ade

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2023

Tricia, you are always welcome here and we will certainly be praying for you. I'm praying for a peace that passes all understanding for you in days ahead and even through your appointment on the 23rd. He is a God of miracles.

Wheatfields

• tld2017
    tld2017 Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2023

Thank you, dear ladies, for your warm welcome! It gives me a little more peace to have all of you to talk to, and to pray for!

Ade, I've been watching the news about the train derailment. Praying for your family and all affected!

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2023

Ade, I never did know when you actually moved because of waiting for the seller to sell if I am remembering correctly. It is good to hear from you. I was just going to email Joanne and ask about this train derailment horror. I really pray that you all will be protected from any harm. I hope you are settling in now.

Don't forget to tell Chris Happy Birthday!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited February 2023

Happy Birthday, Chris! I hope the celebration of your birth was a special one!

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited February 2023

BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS, CHRIS!!!

• sunshine99
    edited February 2023

I'm sure you've seen some version of this one:

• sunshine99
    edited February 2023

On another note, I could use your prayers. I have scans coming up next week. The first is my routine CT and bone scan on Monday. The second is a brain MRI on Friday. I will see the pulmonologist on Wednesday, the 1st, and then my MO on Monday the 6th. I'm concerned about the results of the brain scan. Then, when I was doing the on-line check in, I was reviewing my chart and saw that "multiple lung nodules" had been added to my "conditions."

I knew there was one spot we are watching, but I didn't know anything about multiple spots. I keep looking at the sheet I have taped to the wall next to my computer. At the very bottom, I have Proverbs 1:33 (NRSV) which says, "Whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster." I hate the feeling of dread. It wants to suck me down into despair. I don't want to go there.

Love you all,

Carol

• sunshine99
    edited February 2023

Yay for no dental issues! That is great news!