Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited March 2023

Hershey, thank you. I have a list of questions for my agent. One of them is can I get A & B and use them at secondary insurance if I want to stay on my husband's plan? Was the reason you had to get verification from HR was so that you could prove that you had insurance already and wouldn't have to pay a penalty? (Hope that made sense.)

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703
    edited March 2023

Carol, yes! The creditable coverage verification form was required to avoid CMS penalties. Also, please double check with your husband's employer about secondary insurance coverage. They may consider Medicare as your primary policy and their insurance as your secondary plan.

• sunshine99
    edited March 2023

Hershey, I hadn't even thought of DH's insurance becoming the secondary. I will try to find out. Thank you for that heads up.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited March 2023

Hershey, I am glad to hear your legs are feeling better. It sounds like your meds are doing their job. It is always good to know labs are okay. Hopefully no more blood clots.

Carol, I know you are trying your best to get your insurance coverage all settled. I am glad Hershey gave you a head's up regarding secondary insurance. Hopefully your DH's coverage can remain your primary. I remember how daunting all of that was when the initial decisions seemed as clear as mud. When I am going through times that are difficult I like to say now this time next year I won't have to be dealing with this anymore. Praying that you will find the answers you need and that God will give you wisdom in your choices.

Take care everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited April 2023

Teka, I'm drooling! Pecan oatmeal cookies sound delicious!

Nancy, I hope your area escaped yesterday's severe weather. Such scary storms and so much destruction.

We had hurricane force winds yesterday. Our nextdoor neighbor's tree lost an immense limb that broke off at the trunk and came down over our fence. Thankfully no damage, and my husband and my neighbor's nephew used a chainsaw to take care of the mess.

Praying for a peaceful and safe weekend for all.

• sunshine99
    edited April 2023

teka, beautiful photo!

We had a single-jolt earthquake here yesterday. No damage, just a big jolt. I hope everyone is staying safe and warm.

Went for a drive with DH this morning. Beautiful day so he drove me up and around the coastal area of La Jolla. We sat on a bench overlooking the ocean and watched the birds riding the updrafts of the waves. Their wings were practically touching the water. They were probably heading north to Oceanside for breakfast. :)

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

Teka, beautiful pics. I have an email friend that lives in Syracuse, NY and we are always trading our weather. She knows that what ever we are getting she will probably get the next day. I have daffodils up but with the tornado warning and the winds that went along with it I haven't even gone out to look. Your cookies sound delicious.

Hershey, I am glad to hear that your neighbor's limb didn't cause any damage but a lot of work taking care of it I imagine. Cammie and I took turns hiking out in my little guest bathroom as we were to head for cover last night because of tornadoes. I knew she wouldn't come in and stay with both of us in there so I kept watching the news as she sat on the "throne" since she is the queen of the house anyway. LOL Frankly I don't know about anything as far as damage in our area. Today we had strong winds and I was upstairs and Cammie and I were sort of looking at each other after hearing strange things that sounded like they were falling down in my attic. I don't have a clue what is going on up there and don't have the energy to try to even check it out.

Carol, your drive along the coast sounds glorious. I never heard of a single jolt earthquake but I am glad nothing bad happened I am assuming. I could use a little ocean time about now. How are you doing?

Well ladies, after you hearing me complain about my desktop computer for months I had the Geek Squad out for the last two days setting it all up. Yesterday was the installation and of my new devices. It was a very rocky start. There was some good and bad in the whole thing. The bad was when I said I sure hope my old monitor will work with the new computer. I couldn't find one that would fit in my old computer hutch. He said NO it won't. So it was impossible to set up a computer without a monitor. So he wasn't here for long and he acted like he could come back today and help out the guy who was doing the data transfer but he didn't come. He was having a terrible time getting my new modem/router set up with my ISP. When I knew something kept failing on him I started praying in earnest. I swear a few seconds later he said "it is working, I don't know what changed" I said I have been praying hard. He said nothing. I said out loud thank you Lord. He told me I could buy a 19 in TV that would fit and he checked out several Best Buy stores and found one pretty far out of town that had one left. I drove yesterday after he left to this place. The skies were looking daunting and I knew the storm was supposed to hit. What a crazy day and night. I now have a TV as a monitor. It is weird because I have to use a TV remote to turn it on.

Today after I had prayed for the Best Buy agent coming today to be patient, kind and capable I got that and more. So I am finally up and running on my new computer equipment and all the issues I was having were probably due to some of my equipment failing and that is why the remote help from the Geek Squad didn't work.

I am really exhausted from prepping for all of this and getting up much earlier than I am used to. Too tired to do a happy dance but that will come eventually.

Do we know ii the BCO site is finished with their migration?

I can't believe tomorrow is Palm Sunday. I finished my last day of homework in the Beth Moore series as I have worked ahead of the class thinking I would not have time on some days for the computer install and then the windows.

It was such an intimate study that when Moses died and never got to see the promised land I welled up with tears. It was as if I had lost a great friend after living and breathing his life in the desert for weeks. I am really looking forward to seeing him in heaven and of course seeing Jesus.

Have a wonderful Palm Sunday as we enter the most holy week of the year.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited April 2023

Carol, I am out of earthquake land now but a good friend who still lives in the condos we vacated a year ago said she felt the jolt strongly. We had wind here. In fact, there are several fires here in the Springs. It is the windy season. I will be thankful when the winds calm down.

Nancy, I am glad you got your computer issues fixed as it can be very frustrating. Also that you and Cammie are safe from the storm and tornados. God cares about the little things if we will just be faithful and pray.

Teka, your cookies sound yummie. I like your big trees also.

I finally get my port checked tomorrow so we shall see what they recommend from there. In the meantime I am recovering from my annual UTI and hopefully will feel well tomorrow and that the extra antibiotics helped in other areas. I am feeling a little disease fatigue but pushing through.

God bless you all. Chris

• sunshine99
    edited April 2023

Nancy, I'm glad you're safe from the tornados. Your computer ordeal sounds exhausting. I love that you told the computer guy that you were praying!

I got the report back from my C2 spine X-ray. Here is the "IMPRESSION"

• 1. Multilevel degenerative changes
    • 2.Trace anterolisthesis of C3 on C4 in the flexion position only
    • 3.Expansile lesion in C2, better characterized on recent MRI
    • 4.Sclerosis of C7 as seen on prior exams

There was another note about "multilevel facet arthropathy."

I'm doing my PT exercises. They're not hard and I'll have my first session next Wednesday.

Chris, I hope you're feeling better from your UTI. I hear you about disease fatigue.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

HI Ladies,

I am coming up for air now. LOL It has been a really, really busy time. And I thought retirement was supposed to be sitting by a pool with a glass of lemonade.........silly me. I did get my computer up and running myself after the Geek Squad left. I realized this 19 in TV was not going to work at all. The resolution was terrible and I bought this beefed up computer for photo editing if I chose to do that on this computer. So I bought another monitor and just now got it up and running with NO problems. YIPPPEEEE

There have been some disappointments in the data transfer. I lost all of my nine years of saving banners for us. So I will post a brand new one and start my library all over again. I also lost all of my email contacts in Outlook. I will reach out to the guy who did the transfer and see if he can come and fix it.

Overall I am happy with the new computer. There are usually some glitches and hopefully they will get ironed out soon.

I am supposed to be on our Easter Serve Team as a greeter for our Saturday night Easter service. I would appreciate your prayers. I did something to my knee and out of the blue I could not even walk. In my prep for the windows installation I was on my knees for a very long time yesterday purging my file cabinet and filing. I don't know if that did it or not but I was fine this morning. Go figure.

Our church is really big and just walking from the parking lot to the place I need to meet and sign in is a very long distance if I am unable to walk. I need a miracle!!

Carol, trying to understand your MRI is beyond me. I have had quite a few of my head and my neck and I don't recognize the terms they are using in yours. Have you received any clarification yet? I know you had a lot of dr. apts coming up besides PT. Is your PT for balance? I had dizziness and balance PT a few years ago and it was really helpful. I hope your drive along the coast was a great distraction from everything.

Chris, I hope your UTI is improving with antibiotics. How did your apt go on Monday? I remember we both had apts we had been waiting a long time for on that day. I hope you didn't have to get another port placement. I saw my dermatologist for the rash issues I have had with my surgery aftermath. I imagine she was wondering why I went to her but it was obvious to me that my surgeon wasn't going to address the skin issues when the tear in the skin was a much more important issue to him and to me too. I am on a steroid ointment now and will see what happens. My next apt will be with my GI doctor if this pain doesn't resolve and so far it is just as bad as ever unfortunately.

As our Bible Study is ending with our A Women's Heart, God's Dwelling Place by Beth Moore this Tues. I think we are taking a short break and then starting the Ester video series by Beth Moore which by the way is also on Youtube.

As we get ready for the Easter weekend I pray that God will give you a new and refreshing experience as we enter this weekend that changed our lives personally and changed the world forever.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited April 2023

Nancy, I am sorry to read about your deluge of problems, from computer issues to painful knee. You are a busy lady and deserve better. I am glad some of them have resolved and pray you have a blessed Easter.

Carol, I don't understand the lingo on your MRI either but it does read like it is degenerative instead of cancer. At least that is something. I trust your PT goes well...I have yet to start mine.

My port check went fine. There is a small flap of skin that is trying to grow over the port end in effort for my body to counter the foreign body that is the central line. If it becomes more problematic the flap can be removed and not the port. My pain is minimal now and we are all hoping it resolves completely. The rest of the central line is in good shape. My oncology appointment went ok also although it was the fifth PA I have seen in the year since I have moved here. I do see my original oncologist in six weeks. They are good about getting me in every six weeks but obviousl I see someone different two out of three appointments. I do know they communicate with the oncologist so I guess it is ok. I just prefer seeing the actual oncologist like I did when I lived in San Diego. The UTI is resolved also. I feel I am more tired and in more pain this past year. My doctor replied that it was expected on my current medicine. Since it is working, I will work with it. I am thankful for almost seven years since my original stage IV diagnosis and Praise God for His touch on my life.

I pray you all have a blessed Easter. Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited April 2023

Nancy, you have the determination of the Energizer Bunny! I'm always impressed with the projects you accomplish and resolve. I hope the computer tech successfully restores your Outlook contacts and banner file and your knee improves in time for your Saturday night Easter service.

Chris, I'm glad that you will soon see your oncologist. It's frustrating to see a different PA so often. Explaining one's medical history over and over can be time consuming and tiring. I've had similar situations with my oncologist's practice. There seems to be a very high turnover of nurses and assistants. I'm not sure if it's industry wide or just that practice.

Carol, how are your PT sessions going?

My mother's memorial service is set for May 15 (the day after Mother's Day). I have my flight booked but still need to reserve a hotel and rental car. I've got to get going on those two things.

I wish everyone a most blessed Easter.

• sunshine99
    edited April 2023

Good morning, everyone.

Nancy, I'm glad at least some of your computer issues seem to be resolving. It's frustrating to lose files when you know they have to be there SOMEWHERE. I hope your knee is feeling better. I think the X-ray is essentially unremarkable, but I have another MRI on Wednesday. I'll see the neurosurgeon on Friday.

PT seems to be helping. It's pathetic how weak my muscles are, but the PT is encouraging and tells me that we all have to start somewhere. I'm able to walk to my appointments since the clinic is only about a half-mile from my house.

Chris, I'm glad your port check went fine. I think I'd like to see the same person at my MO visits. Sometimes, I feel like I get more attention from the PAs, but I do like my MO here at Scripps. I'm glad your UTI is resolving.

We're going to see my dad tonight and then will drive home tomorrow and will see our neighbors at an Easter brunch on Sunday. It makes me a bit sad because last Easter I sat next to the wife of our former Sheriff. She had been battling cancer, and we were talking and joking about all the side effect of treatment. She died late last year. It's just so sad that's she's gone. She was a lovely lady with an wonderful husband and son.

Wishing everyone a blessed Easter.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

Hi dear sisters. I would really appreciate your prayers. I am in terrible pain with my knee and I can't walk. I am going to urgent care this afternoon and I had to contact one of our pastors and tell him I will not be able to serve on Saturday night. I am fearful that this is something that will need surgery. Please pray for me.

Thank you.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited April 2023

Nancy, I'm praying for you and will continue to pray.

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited April 2023

Nancy, I'm so sorry that you are in such pain. Please let us know how the visit to urgent care goes. We are praying for you.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2023

Nancy, Hershey is right, you do have the determination of the energizer bunny! I'm so sorry about your knee and the pain, and will be praying for you as you go to urgent care. Please let us know how it turns out. There was a week when everyone was so quiet but now I'm glad I have a little update on most of you and will be praying for each of you! I have an appointment for an x-ray on Monday. I've been having a lot of pain around the shoulders and collarbone and especially one area on the left side of collarbone which I think is called the SC joint, the little bump at the end of collarbone on each side of the throat. I was noticing that the left one is larger than the right and not sure what that is or maybe it's just some type of arthritis. Have a blessed Easter everyone!

Love, Wheatfields

• intolight
    edited April 2023

Sending continual prayers for Nancy's knee pain and Wheatfield's shoulder pain.

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

Hi ladies,

I may have the determination of the Energizer Bunny but unfortunately without the energy!!! I have been unusually tired lately and maybe it is because of juggling a million plates in the air at once. I have to tell you what happened before going to Urgent care. I am still doing my sitz baths and even though I thought it may not be good for my knee I soaked in the tub for a while. Up to that point I could barely walk and was in terrific pain. In fact I was thinking about buying a cane because I didn't know how I was going to be able to walk once I got into the clinic.

Anyway I got out of the tub and I checked my phone. One of our pastors in charge of the Easter Team Volunteers had texted me after I told him I would not be able to make it to my volunteer night on Saturday. He said we just had our huddle as He called it for this evening and told me they prayed for me. You have to realize my church is huge so that really meant a lot to me as it is very easy to get lost in the crowd.

I was actually wondering if God had healed me because I could walk with no pain after getting out of the tub. So with your prayers and prayers from my church huddle I was truly amazed.

The doctor I saw was the same one who diagnosed me just a few weeks ago with fluid on the ear. I did ask her to look at my ear and she said no more fluid that she could see. One less issue to deal with. She thinks I may have a tear in a ligament. I went down for xrays and the nurse talked me into using a wheelchair. Yes, I was actually thinking of going down without and realized how foolish that was. Nothing alarming showed on the xray but I am to call to schedule an MRI on Monday and then contact an orthopedic surgeon. I have seen a doctor for my knees years ago and will reach out to him. They put an immobilizing brace on my knee so I am not in any pain and I am so grateful for that. Also it is my left knee so I can still drive without any issues.

Thank you so much for your prayers. I did return the little TV to Best Buy and managed to get that back and then told them about the glitches with the computer transfer etc. So I have to call the Geek Squad and schedule with them and they said it should be no charge since I already paid a handsome price to begin with.

I was able to get home to watch our Good Friday service online.

Carol it sounds like you have a big week coming up again. I am glad you will get to visit your Dad again. Praying all goes well with your scans and apts.

Chris, I would not be thrilled either getting a different oncologist frequently. I ran through a few PA's in oncology as they went to another clinic. I actually liked them better than my MO who I am back with for the time being. I hope your port issue will resolve without any more problems. I wish your drug did not cause so many side effects for you.

Hershey, I am glad you have a date for your Mom's memorial service. It sounds like it is going to be a ways from your home. I hope it will be really nice weather when the time comes. Your Mom was a special person and the fact that she wanted her service to be outside makes me love her all the more.

Wheatfields, we will be praying for your xrays and your pain. I had missed your posts and wondered how you were doing. I hope your doctor will have an easy solution to help with your pain and praying it is nothing serious.

Have a wonderful Easter weekend everyone. The weather here looks to be glorious for the day of Easter. I think I will be taking it easy in my Lazy Boy chair which is not at all what I thought this weekend was going to be like. Thank you all again for your prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited April 2023

Praise God for the no pain miracle. Will continue to pray for your next steps.

I drove the car for the first time in over a year. I took my granddaughter to her school for the talent show. Mom was at work and Papa had another commitment so I did it. So I did the Nana thing. Glad this was a good day! Easter dinner is at my house this year but I know my SIL will back me up. Thankful God is my healer.

• hersheykiss
    edited April 2023

Nancy, thank you for posting an update about your urgent care visit. I'm glad that the knee brace eases your pain. Babying your knee in the La-Z Boy sounds like a very good idea for the time being. I do hope the MRI can be scheduled soon so you and your doctor may design a sound treatment plan.

Wheatfields, it is good to hear from you. I'm sorry you are having shoulder and collarbone pain. I hope the x-ray on Monday gives you and your physician some answers.

Chris, have a wonderful Easter dinner with your family!

Wishing everyone a beautiful and blessed Easter weekend.

"God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God. -- 2 Corinthians 5:21, NIV

• sunshine99
    edited April 2023

Hershey, thank you for the Scripture reminder.

Nancy, I hope you were able to sleep last night.

We drove over to see my dad yesterday afternoon. The usual travel time is 2.5 hours. I always check my map app to see what the traffic may look like. Yesterday at around 1:30 in the afternoon it was telling us it was going to take over 3 hours. There are several routes to get here, so we opted for "over the mountains and through the woods." We'd rather be driving down country roads that parked on the freeway. It was a really nice trip with tons of California poppies in bloom.

We went out of Thai food last night. Very good, but I think i ate too much and had trouble falling asleep. Oh well. It was worth it.

Hands aren't working very well this morning. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

Dear sisters, I hope you all have a wonderful Easter. I did have a good night's sleep. I still have no pain today. Could I have perhaps been totally healed yesterday? I will still "try" to rest in my Lazy Boy chair as I am supposed to be doing that.

Chris, have a wonderful dinner with your family.

Carol, I am glad you got to visit your Dad and take the scenic route. Sounds wonderful. Thai food as well. Good for you. I gave in to my fleshly desires and ordered a pizza right before closing which is a really rare occasion for me. I have to laugh because in the last Beth Moore video where she was talking about heaven and all of the things that won't be there she went around to the audience and asked what they will be glad to NOT be in heaven. You could guess the typical answers of no cancer, no pain, no depression etc. Then it came to one woman and she said no more fat. Beth was so surprised she laid on the floor and said she will never forget that. I don't think I will either. LOL

Hershey, thank you for that verse. That is the core of everything we believe. Have a wonderful Easter.

Wheatfields, praying your pain is manageable.

GB, Happy Easter to you.

Teka, is taking a break for a few weeks. Happy Easter to you and your family.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited April 2023

Happy Easter to all!

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

Hi dear friends.

I hope you are getting this glorious weather that we have had for a few days.

Wheatfields, I hope you get your xray results quickly. Let us know how it went.

Carol, I know you have important apts this week. Praying for peace and calm.

Chris, I hope your UTI is all clear now. Praying you will be able to enjoy your new house this season.

GB, I was glad to see your post. How are things going at work? I really do hope this awful sewer situation will get resolved. That has got to be a challenge for anyone working there.

Hershey, I hope you are enjoying some warmer weather like we are here.

I have an MRI on Sunday and will see my orthopedic surgeon next Tuesday. I had just hung up the phone yesterday scheduling my MRI and this orthopedic surgeon's office called me. I am still a little in awe of that whole thing but it was the very office of the surgeon I had planned to call. So I was very pleased that they were able to get me in so quickly. I was purging some files yesterday and I realized I had seen this surgeon in June of 2020 for a cortisone shot in my knee. I had completely forgotten about that so that probably helped me to get in quicker since I was already an established patient. I thought it had been years since I saw him. The pandemic had a way of making years seem like forever!!

I am still planning on keeping my April 27 windows installation even if I have to have surgery. My initial pain I had is not there but has been replaced by pain behind my knee. When that hits my knee starts to buckle and I start to fall. So that is a little scary. I ordered a cane from Amazon which will come on Thursday. I truly never envisioned this for me now but it goes to show that our lives can change in a split second. i am very grateful that I can walk with this brace. It has really helped me to continue my prep for the windows.

On a positive note on my back up hard drive which I was very busy backing up important things before the Geek Squad came to install the new computer guess what I found? I don't even remember this but I created a Christian Banner folder and voila..........all my banners were there. So I am really pleased about that.

The Geek Squad cannot come back to my house until May 2 so I am not thrilled with that. I really use my photo printer a lot and now after I have spent much time trying to troubleshoot it is beyond me. Way too technical. To think I set this up myself when I first bought it. I have thought about deleting and reinstalling but I might mess things up more so I won't ..........until I might. LOL I got to bed quite late last night and was laying in bed trouble shooting in my head. So I got up and started working on this problem again in the middle of the night. Yes, I am out of my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited April 2023

Good morning, all. It's been quiet here, but maybe that's a good thing.

Nancy, I'm glad you have your MRI scheduled as well as your appointment with the ortho doc. It's funny how we forget which docs we've seen. I ordered a "Hurry Cane Go" from Amazon. It has a goose-neck, which was recommended by a PT friend of mine.

Here's the link if it works:

Amazon.com: HurryCane Go HCANE-BK-G2 Walking Stick with T Handle, Black : Health & Household

Yay for getting all your stuff back up on your computer. Doesn't it feel great when that happens? Bummer you still have to wait until May 2 for Geek Squad, though.

I'm working on a couple of blog posts. Will try to get one published this week and then I have another one in the wings. Knitters use the term WIP for "works in progress" so I've been using that for blog posts that still need work. Most of the time I write, then re-write, and then re-write again.

Anyway, I'm off to get an MRI of my neck (C2) this morning, then tonight we're having dinner with friends who are down looking at universities for their son.

I hope everyone has a great day,

Carol

• intolight
    edited April 2023

Carol, Good morning. I love the upbeat tempo of your post. It sounds so positive even though I know you are in pain. I hope your dinner tonight is delicious and fun! Also, if your friend's son is looking into Point Loma (PLNU), send them my recommendation. I retired from teaching there and love the school. It is also my alma mater. As a side note, my son also attended there and had an ocean view outside his dorm window every year. Can't beat that!

Nancy, continued prayers for your MRI and appointments. I hope Cammie is cooperating and doing well.

Wheatfields, any word on your xray yet?

My UTI is back and I have an appointment this morning. I was feeling so good too! rats...

Enjoy the new warmth of Spring.

Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023

Carol, I pray that you will soon find out what is the area of concern after having your MRI today. Thank you for the link. My cane is coming early and is supposed to come today. It looks very much like the link you suggested so hopefully it will be good. I ordered mine in pink. SmileIf it doesn't work out I will consider the one your friend suggested. Have a nice dinner with your friends.

Chris, oh my gosh!!! I am so sorry your UTI is back. I'm glad you have an apt today and I hope it will be gone for good. I know how disappointing that must feel. Praying you will get back to feeling good very soon!!!

Cammie has another weigh in tomorrow. I am a bit more concerned this time around. The last time I was there one of the techs that I really like said Cammie will be on that steroid for the rest of her life. Most of the time she has been really good about letting me get it in her ear if I can surprise her. If I would have to have surgery I am concerned if I will still be able to get on the floor and put the ointment in her ear. Also I have stairs so the Lord will work this out all in good time.

We just finished out Beth Moore series last night, A Women's Heart, God's Dwelling Place. We will be starting a new Beth Moore series on Esther. On Easter Sunday I watched a movie on Esther to refresh my memory of the story. I believe it is the only book in the Bible that makes no reference to God. That doesn't mean God was not working a mighty plan and used Esther to complete it.

Have a great day dear sisters. It is a beautiful day outside today. Loving this weather as my daffodils are in full bloom and the birds seem happy spring is here too.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited April 2023