Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
  • wheatfields
  • bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872

Teka, I love your funny picture.

Wheatfields, when we moved our Mom we had no lead time at all. We were on a waiting list for several months. They told us when they call to tell you there is a room, drop everything and take it. I will never forget sitting in my Mom's driveway and we both cried as this would be the last time she ever saw her house. I told my sister I really felt this would be the end of her. I had several people tell me their Mom or Dad went kicking and screaming and then finally settled in and grew to love their new place. I just knew that would probably never happen with my Mom………………but, God was in control and He knew how it would all work out. My Mom did adjust and was quite content at her new home with time. I am praying that even though you think this is going to be a hard move, that God will smooth the way for your sister. I am glad their son will be there for the move. They suggested that one of us stay with my Mom the first night so that was me that stayed the first and my sister stayed the next night to sort of smooth the transition. I am not sure if the memory care will allow that but just a thought.

I loved your pictures. I know a while back you mentioned that someone had sent you pics of the red rocks. I LOVE those. Is the first one Bryce Canyon or are they from AZ. Thanks for sharing those. They are gorgeous.

Hershey, we had supposedly the coldest Halloween on record. From those I heard that went out with their little ones I think they all agreed it was so cold. My pcp told me he only went around the block with his kids and that was all they did and they were happy about it! I think quite a few people had left over candy.

Carol, we will be praying for your procedure next week. You have suffered with this for a very long time and I do hope this will be the beginning of getting you the treatment you need. Happy Birthday to your DH!!!

Chris, are you feeing any better? Have you had a chance to enjoy your new deck?

GB, I do hope things improve for you in all ways.

I have been really busy. My bank merged with another bank out west and in that transfer some personal data got really messed up and mine apparently was one of those. This means that every few days I have been locked out of my online banking because someone is trying to access my account. It has been truly frustrating and scary. I have spent quite a long time on the phone the last several weeks with customer service. I finally went to my local bank today and I think we may have finally fixed the problem. Time will tell.

I told my doctor my HOA extra duties had caused so much stress I had to go back on my acid reflux meds. He is very mild mannered and I love this doctor and he said if you have to take more pills to be able to handle the stress of your HOA then………………………. I know he is right. I bought more of those meds tonight. I need to pray for direction. I did get all of my bids out to the landscapers and now they are calling asking questions. So far the bids I have received are WAY more that we have paid in the past. Not sure what will happen.

I did get to go out with my camera on Wed for the first time in a long time. I think I missed the peak of our fall foliage but it was still very beautiful and some people in our area are saying this is one of the most beautiful falls we have ever had and it has been gorgeous.

I hope maybe I can go out again tomorrow as the weather is much warmer than on Halloween.

Have a good night everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Wheatfields, WOW! Those are stunning photos. We get a little of that at our place in La Quinta (near Palm Springs) where the mountains turn this amazing shade of rose just after sunrise. It lasts for only a few minutes, but it’s my favorite time of day. If I can find a photo, I’ll post it.

I will pray for sister and her move. I think that, although my dad is looking forward to his move, the Seattle weather may be harder on him that he expects.

Our pie-making went well last night. DH ate about half a pie! He had more for breakfast this morning.

Thank you, Nancy for the prayers. My weight is up a couple of pounds, so that’s a good thing. I’m learning that I have to take it slowly when I’m eating. I’m able to eat some of the leftover Halloween candy – haha.

I hear you on not wanting to take “drugs” to cope with your HOA position. I’m glad you have a good doctor who understands…

• sunshine99

Here is a photo from November, 2017. My favorite time of day!

• bandwoman1234

Carol, that's a beautiful picture. I love how the sun makes it in super living color.

I'm loving all of these pics. I went out today with my camera and will have to share some soon.

Have a good night dear sisters. Don't forget to move your clock back an hour if your time zone does that .

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703

The photos are beautiful, and the colors are so rich. It always amazes me how wind and water can carve such spectacular formations from solid rock.

Nancy, your volunteer position on the HOA board sounds like a full-time job to me. On the one hand, the board members trust you to get projects done; on the other hand, the work is affecting your health. I hope a less stressful solution is just around the corner.

Carol, happy belated birthday to your husband! Pie for breakfast sounds yummy!

Chris, I hope you are enjoying some great autumn weather. Is there snow on Pikes Peak yet?

• sunshine99

I'm thankful for clocks that move themselves! I know when I get in my car, I'm going to think I'm an hour late for wherever I'm going.

We drove out to the end of Point Loma yesterday. Marty has his "Geezer Pass," so we get into Cabrillo National Monument without paying. There was some sort of sailing regatta going on with tons of sailboats, all with their spinnakers in full sail. Then, there was this huge cargo ship that needed to pass through them. There was this tiny little guide boat for the cargo ship. It reminded me of Moses parting the waters. Couldn't capture it on my phone, but it was quite the sight. (Marty's Geezer Pass is actually his lifetime senior park pass. We just like to call it his "Geezer Pass.")

And while I'm at it, Scripps Clinic changed the name of the Anderson Outpatient Pavillion to the Geisel Pavillion after Dr. Seuss. There's a sculpture of the Cat in the Hat out front. Marty and I call it the "Geezer Pavillion." I'm sure we're not the first to do that. It's pronounced like "guy-zel," but we prefer our version.

Have a great Sunday!

Carol

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Carol, love the pictures! I also loved PT Loma lighthouse and Cabrillo when we lived there. We went often on my "geezer pass." I took our grandkids to the tide pools there several times. It was one of my favorite places. I probably would not go now as I am not as steady on my feet as I used to be. We sailed around the point once on a friend's boat but never ventured doing it on our own. His boat was bigger! It was amazing! I do miss the water.

Yes, the Peak has snow…so do we. It is about melted at our house and is supposed to be in the 70s today with snow coming again on Thursday. Gotta love the Rockies! I am feeling better, finally, and may even venture to the grocery store by myself. If I do it will be the first time going alone in over a year. I may go while the DH and DD pull down the Christmas bins from the garage while the car is out. Yes, Christmas bins. It takes me awhile to decorate and we love to have it up awhile since it takes so much effort. We'll see! We also need to do it when it is warm.

• bandwoman1234

Hi dear friends. Photography has been such great therapy for me and hopefully it will alleviate some of the stress I have been feeling getting these landscaping bids for our HOA. I wanted to share a few pics that I have taken over a couple of days in three different locations.

Carol, some of my clocks were anything but user friendly and I seemed to have struggled more this year for some reason. My car does automatically switch but I remember the day when my previous car didn't and it was always a guessing game. What day is your procedure this week? We'll be praying.

Chris, I am so glad to hear you are doing better. I do hope you can make it to the grocery store by yourself. I know your Christmas decorations will be beautiful.

I am not sure if I will be able to share all of these on one post but we'll see. Illinois doesn't have the beautiful vistas as the Red rocks and CA but finding beauty can be easy to do. I missed the peak of our fall season but there was still beauty to be found.

The tall structure is our carillon which is pretty amazing. Here goes.

Have a good night all.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Nancy, beautiful photos! I love hearing carillons. The first time I ever heard them was at the World's Fair in New York (or New Jersey) when I was a kid. We get them sometimes at the Catholic church near us.

My procedure is this Wednesday, the 8th, at 11:00 am. Check in is at 9:30.

Spent the morning playing catchup with medical stuff - insurance questions, refunds from Scripps that need to go back into the HSA account, and so forth.

Finally figured out an issue with a crocheting project. It was a circle, and it wouldn't lay flat. It was all wavy and weird. Turns out the pattern had me making too many stitches. Thankfully, You Tube had a video where a woman was talking about why your circles might get wavy. I was getting so frustrated. I'm trying to make a little basket for the coasters I'm making my dad for Christmas. I'll post a photo of my "practice projects."

• sunshine99

Here’s my practice stuff. Making baskets is fun! This was a sample with some acrylic yarn I use for trial projects the coasters will be smaller, but I was trying to figure out the pattern

• bandwoman1234

Carol, wow. You are doing great with your new hobby!!!! Looks like the work of a pro. Thanks for your info for this week and for your nice comments on my pics. I will be praying for Wed procedure.

Have a great day.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields

Dear ladies,

Thank you for all the lovely photos you have shared!

Carol, we will be praying for your procedure this week. Your crochet projects are just perfect, so very nice!

Thank you all for your prayers for my sister and BIL. And Hershey also for your insight on blood thinners.

Nancy, praying for a solution to all those HOA responsibilities and thank you for sharing some of your personal experiences with your mom.

Praying for all of you.

Love, Wheatfields

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Nancy, beautiful pictures! You are a talented photographer.

Carol, nice job. You will get better the more you crochet but you are already looking like a pro!

Saw my neurosurgeon yesterday. He thinks PT should take care of my pain issues but he is watching one spot. He will do a neural block there if the pain doesn't improve. I liked him. He was very thorough and had a good plan. I also was accepted for another year of meds through the Lilly Cares Foundation. They will cover all of my Verzenio charges so that is an answer to prayer. Hopefully I can stay on this med for the entire year!

I am feeling better and have a good portion of the Christmas decorations up. I empty a tub, then sit for awhile before tackling another one. I am not doing as much as usual. It is just the four of us this year and none of us has the energy to go all out. So I am repacking my tubs so we know which ones stay packed. I downsized them when we moved so there are not that many left. This house is more than twice the size as my condo, but my DD has the entire downstairs and we only have the living and dining rooms upstairs to decorate with not much furniture. It actually feels good to go light.

• bandwoman1234

Carol, I hope you are at home resting from your procedure. I hope it was not too bad. I pray that this test will give your doctors good information on how to proceed.

Chris, it sounds like you are getting a lot accomplished. I am glad to hear that PT will help your pain and you may have the nerve block as an option. That is a great blessing knowing your Verzenio will be covered for another year. I know your house will look beautiful with all of your decorations even if it is not going all out.

I have a big prayer request. I had been smelling sewer gas coming from my floor drain in my laundry room. I don't have a basement and live on a cement slab. Long story short what I thought was a simple thing of the P trap needing more water is not the case. It appears I have a hole in the P trap. After talking to a plumber he said from what you are telling me you have a hole in the P trap and the only way to fix it is to break through the concrete and replace the trap. He said he was all booked through the holidays and said he shys away from these type of jobs. He said if you called other plumbers they may tell you the same thing as there is a shortage of plumbers in the area. I called my insurance and they will cover very little of what I imagine is going to be a huge expense. So I am trying to absorb the shock of it all. I will be speaking to another plumber tomorrow.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553

Same insurance.....nooooooo!

Oh well. :-/ They must be getting it at rock bottom prices to keep such an incompetent plan.

• sunshine99

Oh, Nancy, the first thing I thought of, too, was that your p-trap just needed more water. I hope that you can find a plumber who will fix the problem without too much mess and will not charge you an arm and a leg!

Chris, when my DH was having his back issues, he really felt like his active life was over and that he'd never climb/surf/ski/run/hike again. Our DIL, who is a PT, told him that PT would help. He wasn't convinced, but it REALLY did help. He found a PT that specializes in spines/backs and it has made a world of difference for him.

My procedure went pretty well yesterday. I'll copy and paste from another thread about my day. :)

"Thank you for all the prayers and good wishes! Kind of a funny story. I got a voicemail asking if I could arrive 30 minutes early since they were ahead of schedule. No problem. I arrived early, went to the wrong place to check in, got to the right place, then waited. Apparently, they didn’t have enough beds in the holding/prep area, so I had to wait (as did several other patients.) No biggie.

When I got back to the prep area, they told me the doctor was now running a bit behind. Haha – oh well. I think they finally wheeled me into the surgery suite about 20 minutes after the scheduled time. I ended up having general anesthesia, but it was nice to just have a nap. I remember dreaming about crocheting while I was out, so it couldn’t have been too traumatic.

They had the same issues with getting the scope/probe/US thingy down my esophagus. They found a suspicious lymph node(s) with a follicular center. Googled that – doesn’t sound good. Nice doc, though. He did mention the possibility of needing a feeding tube if I can’t manage to get my meds down. Please, God, NO!!!!! The dilation procedure was moderately successful, but still not where it should be. Didn’t sleep well last night – lots of phlegm and coughing. It’s better this morning. I’m hungry but can’t decide what would be easiest to eat. Had two Ensures yesterday and that’s all. I do have some instant mashed potatoes which I can thin down to a “swallow-able” texture.

He recommended getting at least 5 grams of protein each day. No idea how much I get as I don’t count macros. I found some protein powder and just made myself a smoothie.

Should have the path results in 1-2 weeks."

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

GB, sorry about the insurance issue. I know that is very disappointing,

Carol, the hurry up and wait seems to be par for the course sometimes. I am glad you had general anesthesia. I do hope the dilation will give you a lot of relieve in swallowing. I know how difficult it is waiting on those pathology reports. We will pray for the best outcome and that a feeding tube will not be in the picture. I admire your grace and strengh through all of this.

Have a good day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2023

PRAISE REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi ladies.

Some of you may not even know what I am talking about if you haven't been on for a couple of days. I had a plumber come out today from my heating and cooling company which is owned by Christians. I know the owner. The plumber was strong enough with one hand to lift up my gas dryer which was covering the floor drain and with the other hand removing the drain lid which I couldn't do to really see. The great news is that the drain was full of water. I cannot tell you how relieved I am. The man was so nice answering so many of my questions and then not even charging me for a service call. I wanted to give him a big kiss but I restrained myself. LOL So I feel like I have won the lottery which is a pretty good trick since I never do that kind of stuff. He told me he would have quoted me $3900 for the job which is way less than I would have expected. I do have many plumbing jobs which I am definitely going to reach out to him after being so generous with me today.

Just wanted to share the good news.

Have a great evening everyone.

Love

Nancy

• sunshine99

I shared this on another thread, but I need prayers, again. Here's what I wrote:

Ladies, I'm really afraid. I think I may have had a seizure today. DH and I had run some errands and Costco was last on our list. As we were loading stuff into the car, I had this really strong feeling of deja vu and then a wave a nausea followed (just the feeling - no vomiting) and then I felt like I needed to lean against the car. D asked if I were OK, then I hear him saying, "Honey are you OK?" He grabbed me and was holding me up because he could see I was going to fall if he didn't.

I'm upset and afraid. We came home and I helped unload stuff and then had some lunch. I don't want this to be happening. I did message my neurologist, but enough already!

Nancy, it sounds like "problem solved." Yay. I would have felt like giving him a big kiss, too! Nice to have an honest person on your team.

Carol

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703
    edited November 2023

GB, that is disappointing news. You are probably right about the plan's cost determining your company's decision. Even the managed care systems like Kaiser have become quite expensive for employers and employees.

Nancy, I do hope that a plumber is able to fit your job into their schedule and that there is a simple fix. I remember you writing that you like your handyman and trust his work. Would he be able to recommend a plumber to you?

Carol, we will be praying for good test results and that a feeding tube is unnecessary.

Chris, all your hard work creates a joyous and festive holiday home for your family. They will be so appreciative and will very much enjoy your decorations.

• bandwoman1234

Hershey, I think you missed my last post. All is good now I am hoping.

Carol, I know this must have been very frightening. You have been through so much and under so much stress. I will definitely be praying for you that you will have no more episodes like this.

I hope everyone has a restful night.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

I have a video visit with my neurologist today at 12:30. Will ask for an MRI - hopefully stat. I would really like some answers.

• bandwoman1234

Carol, I pray that God will give you peace in the midst of the storm.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Thank you, sisters. Saw the neuro doc. She wants to put me on an anti-seizure med. I'm so upset. She ordered a stat MRI, but priority is given to ER patients. I called ancillary scheduling and spoke with an angel there. She got me in tomorrow morning at 10:00 am.

We were supposed to go see my dad tonight, but we'll drive out tomorrow instead. Please keep praying. I need peace like a river…

• bandwoman1234
  • bandwoman1234

Teka, I missed your pretty and cute banner. You have a good weekend too.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Nancy, that's perfect! I want to know that "It is well with my soul."

• wheatfields

Carol, we'll all be praying for a solution and that you truly will have that peace like a river! Teka and Nancy, I love your beautiful banners and Nancy, so thankful that the plumbing issue was resolved so well, that was surely an answer to prayer. GB, I'm sorry to hear about the insurance issue, we will keep you in prayer.

Please continue to pray for my sister and my nurse friend who hasn't been feeling well and is becoming discouraged. We've been to a number of doctors and the tests seem to come back fine, like there is no problem. We go on Tuesday to a specialist out of town, it's an early morning appointment, and so we have to leave even earlier. She seems to feel worse in the mornings, but I suspect it may be lack of good sleep. We are wondering about Eliquis since most of this started around that time.

Praying for each of you!

Love, Wheatfields