Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872

Carol, congratulations on being a future grandma. That is exciting! Good luck with all of your hats! Insomnia is the pits!

Okay, I am going to post a bunch pics of my newly decorated master bathroom. I did this all with my cellphone and some pics look pretty strange with the scale of things being really off but you will get the picture.

I had the light fixtures installed during the pandemic and with my neighbor not being an electrician I had to find something that would not require moving the electric box so I was quite limited in my choices. So the rustic black of the lights gave me the idea of the black and white decor. So here goes. Most everything you see is new other than the tiled floor and the toilet.

I just got the butterflies up today. I could write a whole post about that fiasco. I have no idea why these walls are coming out this weird color. It is bright white.

Cammie has two new adopted kitties. These are desk top garbage containers.

I was thrilled to find the toilet seat cover and tank cover that matched my shower curtain.

This is the repainted cabinet and the new quartz countertop with mostly new accessories. There is no pink in the quartz. That is my amber light fixtures making things look off.

This pic is an optical illusion. My floor is not sloping down and my countertop is not that long.

So it is finally done. YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to paint my doors white but that won't happen for a long time.

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Nancy, your bathroom looks amazing! Wow…you are good at decorating. It makes all of your troubles worth it?!

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703

Nancy, your color scheme and the decor are just lovely. You have a great eye for details. Are the wall butterflies decals? They look really nice above the towel rack.

Carol, congratulations!! Such joyous news, and have fun with all the new baby projects!

• bandwoman1234

Thanks Chris. I never thought of myself in that light. My sister is the creative decorator in the family. I have been watching a lot of HGTV and became quite interested in the designers ideas. How are you feeling?

Hershey, the butterflies are metal but they do look like decals in the pic. They say you can bend the wings but I just wanted to get them up and placed a certain way. I was so scared of nailing anything into my freshly painted walls and I knew if I goofed on these butterflies there would be no hiding the mistakes. I put them up with thumbtacks. I tried a permanent marker (on the thumbtacks) to make them black and wasn't happy with that result so yesterday I tried spray painting them black and that was a disaster. So I tried the permanent marker again and that will have to do.

The sun is finally shining after a lot of days of rain. I think I am going to start taking down my flowers even though some are still looking really good for this late in Oct. I'd rather do it now that in freezing temps.

Have a good day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Oh, Nancy, I love the butterflies (or flutterbys, as I’ve heard them called.) They’re happy. The kitties look like they’re up to trouble, though! Haha. Love the lights, too. They complement the décor very well. NICE JOB! DH will spray paint almost anything. He has a technique. I don’t ask – just let him do it. I’ve never not liked the result. Actually, someone was just commenting on our red kitchen clock. Yep, it was brown and now it’s red. DH could probably be a graffiti artist!

I slept last night! Yippee.. I’m not quite wide-eyed and bushy-tailed yet, but I’m getting there.

Am going to try to get a pedicure today. Just too tired to walk over there. MO video visit tomorrow.

Love to all,

Carol

PS – I had to look up “compliment vs complement.” You’d think I’d know that after 65 years!

• bandwoman1234

Carol, you had mentioned when you are on a roll you kind of go nuts. Let me show you this pic. Yes, that is the inside of my bath vanity. I even decorated that to match the outside. LOL I found drawer liners that matched my color scheme and my countertop. My sister said something like who is going to see that. Well……….I am!!!!

Cammie has already met her two friends in my bathroom. I could tell they were up to no good when all three were meeting for the first time! I love my butterflies. In the middle of winter they will give me hope that spring is coming.

Teka, thank you. I love the kitties too. Your son would love some of these bathrooms I have seen on YouTube where the predominant color was black. If it hadn't been for my lights with all of the black I would have probably done a whole different decor with color but I've done blue prior to this so it is definitely different for me. I do like it after it all came together.

I just finished my zoom Bible Study and now have to clean up the kitchen. I did some yard work today and I am wiped out. It is much more fun planting flowers and buying containers rather than what I am doing. Throwing out flowers before we get a hard freeze.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Nancy, I love the inside of your cabinet, too. So what if no one but you sees them? If it makes you happy, then that's good enough, right?

Had another lovely visit with my dad. He's actively packing for his move to Seattle. He's excited about all the stuff there is to do at his new place. I think he's going to be very busy!

Need to run to the bank and then to the grocery store. I think a nap is also on my schedule for today.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
  • gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553

Good morning all! I've been offline, we had a bad cold go through the household, one right after another. Thankfully I was better and able to get Zoladex # 50 thousand of one million yesterday. Lol. That's what it feels like.

Carol, how is your crocheting going? I've been crocheting for a long time. I prefer granny stripes. I have too many granny stripe blankets around the house!

Nancy, love your bathroom! Those kitty trash cans are cute. Where did you get those?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,479

Welcome back, @gb2115! We've missed you, and it's wonderful to see you back in the community. We hope everyone in your household is feeling better now after the cold.

Nancy, what a beautiful bathroom! And those kitty trash cans are the perfect finishing touch! 😻

The Mods

• sunshine99

gb, the crocheting is coming along well. I bought a new book and was trying to follow one of the patterns. I got totally stumped but was able to text my friend who explained what to do. I call her my "yarn-enabler friend."

I'm working mostly on hats as Christmas gifts but am also deciding on a design for coasters. Nothing fancy - just deciding whether to go single, half-double, or double crochet and chain or spiral. I think the one I like best (the one that stumped me) is a half-double pattern with some "three stitches into the space" pattern. It works up surprisingly quickly. It's from the book, "Everyday Crochet" by June Gilbank. She writes well and the pictures are good. I highly recommend her book, especially if you're a beginner like I am. I splurged and bought the Kindle version in addition to the actual book since I like to read in bed and the Kindle sample I looked at on my iPhone was very readable.

I really need to finish up a few knitting projects that are languishing on my needles, but I've seriously caught the crochet bug! I guess there are worse things.

Not much else going on today. No appointments until 11/8. Yay for that!

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight

gb, glad to see you are back. Has your work situation improved?

Carol, crochet keeps me sane and I do a little of everything. I am working on slippers for Christmas. My mother-in-law used to make them every year so I thought I would do that in memory of her. I made everyone personalized blankets the last two years (took me awhile to get everyone done) so now I will keep my projects simple. I am a little late getting started so I may only be able to make a few. By everyone I mean immediate family.

Nancy, I am sorry your HOA duties are so heavy and take up so much time. Different HOAs work differently. We live in a large housing area with a huge HOA so I am sure they work hard. They are very strict and involved even monitoring the number of trees in each front yard. They also had to approve our deck plans. But the neighborhood does look nice.

Our puppy is sick so DH is taking her to the vet. We think she ate some stuffing out of her mat that was in her crate. She gets crated when everyone is gone as we don't trust her not to chew on things. She unpicks seams and chews on blankets when she is left alone so we have to be careful what we leave her with. I don't know what we will use next to put in her crate but we are looking at something she can't chew up. The men are coming today to finally finish the deck. They need to patch the electrical access holes in the drywall inside, and wrap the two pillars that hold the stairs. They say the pillars are not typically done but it looks unfinished so we will pay extra to have it finished to match the others. We are slowly getting the furniture put together too. This has been quite the long haul, but we are using it now and already love it. The landscapers won't come now until Spring as it is supposed to start snowing next week… just in time for Halloween! I have been feeling pretty well lately and am even getting some extra housework done. I choose one project or room a day which is about all I can do. I'll take it.

I enjoy all the critter pictures and stories. God bless. Chris

• bandwoman1234

GB, glad you are back. I hope you and your whole family are all on the mend now. Any changes in your work or insurance situation? Thank you regarding my bathroom. I got the kitties from Amazon which most of what you see is from Amazon and the toilet accessories from Etsy.

Carol, I hope you Dad will do well in his new home. Your crocheting sounds wonderful. Yes, you have definitely been bitten by the bug. Isn't it wonderful!!!

Chris, maybe your deck and my windows saga will finally get done this week. My window guy is coming on Thursday. I am glad you are finally getting to enjoy it. I know snow is coming your way I think. I am really sorry to hear about your dog being so sick. I hope he will be okay. So glad to hear you are doing better. That makes me so happy!!!

Wheatfields, are you doing okay? How was your visit with your sister? I know you are probably experiencing grief already. That was the case with my Mom. Let us know how you are.

Teka, how are things in the North Country? I bet it is beautiful up there. Our trees are looking so pretty.

My dead tree I had to stare at through my kitchen window for several years now has a newly planted tree as of this morning. This is city property but I had to pay half for the tree. I selected a Silver Linden as my first choice and that is what they planted. For someone scared to death of bees this tree will be a bee magnet. Go figure. I loved reading about it. In some parts of the world it is considered a sacred tree for it's healing properties. I guess you can make tea out of the flowers. Yeah, I can see me climbing up a ladder with a tree full of bees to get flowers for tea. LOL

Mods, thank you for your nice comments on my bathroom. You sound like you just might be a cat person. Am I right? My white cat checked out her new roommates. She seemed unimpressed!! As long as they don't eat her treats she will be fine.

Not sure if I told you the latest. The president of our HOA asked me to get bids for landscapers for next season. He asked me in an open meeting without consulting me. Ask me if I am happy about that!!!!!!!!!!! So I will be buried in work for the next few weeks. This is definitely out of my wheelhouse of experience.

Have a great day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Chris, I was so happy to read that the cruise went well and you enjoyed it. Thankful you are feeling better.

Nancy, your bathroom pictures are lovely, thank you so much for sharing! Praying that Cammie is getting along with the two adopted kitties and that the HOA duties aren't overwhelming.

Hershey, I'm thankful no one was hurt in the accident but so sorry about the damage to the car.

Carol, we will be praying for your Dad and his move to WA, also for you. GB it is good to hear from you again and pray that work is going better.

I am back from AZ, it was very warm but surprising to me, not humid like it is here. My sister and I would walk around the building in the 90 some degree heat and my shirt wasn't even stuck to my body. It was good to spend time with her but I am sad that things are pointing towards memory care. She will lose some of the freedom she has now, but I keep asking the Lord to work out the details in the way that will be best for both of them. She is having a hard time now because her hearing aids were sent into be repaired and so that was making communicating much harder. Since her stroke a couple years ago she hasn't been able to hear well, and she's not like me (experienced) :) and able to lip read.

Praying for you all. Nancy someone sent me some pictures of what I think the red rocks are in Utah. I want to show them to you :)

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields, it is good to hear from you. I am glad you had some good sister time and it was not too humid. We will pray that God will lead your family to the absolutely best place for her and one that she will thrive and eventually really enjoy. My Mom lost her hearing aids at one point and when I went to visit her during the pandemic when I hadn't been able to visit her for a very long time, she couldn't hear much of what I was saying. They let me do a visit through the her screened in little patio so I completely understand how frustrating that can be. I hope she gets them back soon.

Cammie is laying by my feet at the moment. I am praying she gains weight as she had lost a half a pound last month which is a lot for a cat. That was when all the workers were here working on the bathroom and I was stressed and I know she was too. Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed the bathroom pics. I am certainly enjoying the new look. I would love to see some pics of the Red Rocks. As a matter of fact the computer pics that rotate on my laptop is Bryce Canyon right now which is one of the first places I want to visit whenever I can actually travel out West.

Hershey, how goes the car repair? I know the insurance part of all of that can be a pain. I hope your older vehicle is hanging in there and getting you where you need to go!

Take care dear sisters. Have a good night.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553

The work and insurance situations are not better. I wish they were. Open enrollment is coming soon, so I hope my employer is changing health plans. However, I'm not holding my breath.

• sunshine99

Nancy, thank you for your encouragement. I think my dad will do really well in Seattle. We probably won’t see him as much, but we’ll figure that out. The crocheting has been (mostly) fun and occasionally frustrating. Like with life in general, right?

Your new tree sounds good. Will it turn pretty autumn colors? I shake my head when I read your HOA comments. We were told by the HOA at one of our rentals that a tree on the back patio needed to come out as it was dead. DH went up with a chainsaw to take a look at it and decided it was too much for him. Fortunately, we have an arborist friend who is going to take it down.

Wheatfields, thank you for the prayers for my dad. We continue to pray A LOT for him and this move, especially since he’ll be living close to the sister I’ve had no contact with. The good news is that God is in control, and He has a plan in this move. We just need to stay out of the way and watch Him work.

Nancy, I hope Cammie is OK and can gain a little weight. Half a pound is a lot for a cat!

Gb, I’m sorry you’re still dealing with insurance issues. I’ve given up worrying (for now, haha) about Medicare insurance when DH retires. I called the specialty pharmacy that provides my Ibrance to ask about costs when I’m on Medicare. Long answer is, “It depends.” I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. It could be anywhere from $0.00 to $7,000.00 a month. It just depends…

Have a great day, everyone. I apologize for not mentioning each one of you.

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight

Carol, I know Ibrance had a card that reimbursed co-pays when I was on it (offered on their website.) I can't remember whether it continued when I switched to medicare but that was five years ago so I am unsure now. They were really good and quick for the reimbursement then. If I remember I had to pay $500.00 a month co-pay which they reimbursed. You may have to go through your doctor's office to see if they can tap into a different foundation. I have a foundation which provides my Verzenio free but they handle all of that and I am on Medicare . I am praying for your dad's transition. My parents moved to Seattle to be near my brother their last few years so I know that airport well!

The vet could not find anything wrong with our puppy but he gave her fluids and a nausea shot, and we changed her food. She lost one pound in one week! But she seems to be better today so hopefully all is well again.

I see my oncologist today to review my latest scan (which I think shows stable) and my six-week check-up since restarting my meds. I am feeling a little better today so it should be fine. It is supposed to snow Sunday so I have ordered the coverings for my patio furniture which we are still assembling! Oh well!

Prayers for GB, Wheatfields, Nancy and others. It has been a little quiet here but maybe that is a good thing.

Blessings, Chris

• sunshine99

Thank you, Chris. I think it will be a "wait-and-see" thing when we switch to Medicare Part B, or D, or Supplemental, or whatever…

We're off to see my dad again this weekend. It's going to be weird not having him a 2.5 hour drive away. My map app on my phone says it's 18 hours, 59 minutes and 1,255 miles. Oh, this is funny - my fingers just got off on my keyboard. Started to type "nukes" instead of "miles." Look at your keyboard - the N, U, and K are just one letter to the left of M, I, and L. Who knew? 😀

• sunshine99

teka, how lovely!

• intolight

teka, love the wild beauty of nature!

It is supposed to snow here in Colorado Springs tonight…sigh…I am not ready for it! But I know it will be beautiful. No doctor's appointments this next week but three the following. Been down a couple of days with a stomach something so I will just hunker down with a new crochet project. Love to all!

• bandwoman1234

Hi ladies,

I have not had a chance to post. I will have to catch up later. This past week has felt like when I was teaching two jobs and on that hamster wheel of going round and round etc. I knew this week was going to be pretty crazy but with the added burden of getting landscaping bids without anything to go on I had to reinvent the wheel and in the midst of that neither of my scanners were working. So with a very long time on the phone with the geek squad they at least helped me get my new scanner up and running so I could complete my task. It took me hours to do this job and now the wait to see who will respond. So far two companies have reached out and promise to get there bids in soon. I sent email packets to five companies.

Today I finally got a chance to visit my dear friend who I believe is 95 now and has dementia. We sat together in church and Sunday school for years. Her daughter and her DH and my friend all live in the same house. Her daughter told me she may not recognize me as she didn't recognize her grand daughter who lives in AZ. So I had no idea what to expect. When she came into the room she knew me and was tickled to see me. I was so thrilled and relieved that she knew me. Her daughter and DH left and my friend and I ate lunch and talked and talked and talked. It so good to see her.

I am feeling very blessed with all that has happened this week. My windows tech came on Thursday and FINALLY figured out the problem and had the new locks and they worked just like all my other windows. It was almost six months to the day that I had my new windows and doors replaced. Oh my gosh. What a ride it has been. I think my remodeling is all finished for the year. I saw my oncologist yesterday and I had a growth in my armpit which I was concerned about. He said it was an ingrown hair only. Whew. So I am still having stomach issues but I am pretty sure it is still acid reflux and will get more meds and do another course of it.

Teka, your wild asters are beautiful. We have had two frosts already and this past week I threw out most of my flowers. I need to take a pic of two begonia baskets that are still beautiful. Go figure. We are expecting possible snow on Halloween so then I will probably just have two hanging baskets on my front porch left.

I will have to respond to all of you on another day.

I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your weekend. Our fall trees are gorgeous this year. I took a few pics from my house of my trees. I hope maybe I can get out with my camera before the leaves are all on the ground.

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Wow, Nancy, that's a lot going on. I'm so happy, though, that your windows are FINALLY fixed and working properly.

I had some communication with the gastro doc. My motility study was "bad" enough to warrant another and different test with another GI doc. My procedure for next Wednesday was changed to a stat procedure that they wanted to do tomorrow. Can't work that into our schedule but will have it done next Wednesday. Almost the same as the first procedure but this one includes an ultrasound. Just for fun, I thought I'd copy and paste the name of the test. Yikes!

Love to all.

Carol

ESOPHAGOGASTRODUODENOSCOPY, FLEXIBLE, TRANSORAL; WITH TRANSENDOSCOPICULTRASOUND-GUIDED INTRAMURAL OR TRANSMURAL FINE NEEDLEASPIRATION/BIOPSY(S) (INCLUDES ENDOSCOPIC ULTRASOUND EXAMINATION OFTHE ESO

• bandwoman1234

Chris, I hope you are feeling better. My stomach issues persist. I see my pcp on Friday and will discuss. One of my friends in the neighborhood has a younger brother who just retired as a dentist I think. Anyway he lives near me and he and his wife were in Denver visiting family. This man is in great shape. He had an emergency while still in CO with his heart. Long story is he had open heart surgery and has to remain in the hospital for a while. My neighbor was taking care of his dog. She was telling me everyone in the family got stuck in Co because of the snow. You must have received a lot but I don't know how near Denver you are.

GB, I really pray that your employer will change insurance companies. I go with whatever our State decides. It is all about the bottom line in our case.

Teka, we have had two but my remaining plants I decided to keep for a little while are still standing. We are expecting our first snow today.

Hershey, how are you doing? How is the car situation?

Carol, I do pray that this test coming will reveal what is going on. It sounds like a lot of things will be occurring with this looooooooooooong named procedure. I hope you have a good visit with your Dad before he moves.

Have a save Halloween dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Nancy, hooray for the finished windows! Just in time for winter.

Carol, what a name! But I am glad they are still pursuing whatever is happening to you. Can't imagine the title of the specialist!

I am still not back to where I was a week ago when I felt good (for me) but I am trying. In the meantime the snow is melting although slowly because it is still so cold. Any kids brave enough to trick-or-treat tonight will be bundled over their costumes. The snow is not the problem…but it will be in the 30's for ToT tonight. We got three inches of snow here but DIA got at least 8 inches so I am not surprised people were stranded. We are about 70 miles south of the airport so I am no help when someone I know is stranded there. My DD is going skiing tomorrow so that should be a hint that we are full into winter here now.

Stay safe tonight!

Chris

• hersheykiss

Nancy, I do hope your PCP has helpful recommendations to resolve the stomach issues. My husband suffers from acid reflux due to a hiatal hernia, and his PCP coordinates all medications and required tests. I really hope yours can help put an end to the stomach troubles.

Carol, the name of that procedure is a mouthful (no pun intended!). I'm glad that the appointment is already scheduled and hoping you receive some definitive answers.

We picked up our car from the body shop on Thursday afternoon. My husband was almost gleeful as he took possession of the car (he doesn't like driving the old jalopy). The other driver's insurance company contacted us yesterday about reimbursement of our expenses, so the process is moving along.

Wheatfields, how are you doing?

Wishing everyone a peaceful week!

• bandwoman1234

Chris, I will pray that you can feel back to where you were when feeling good. We just got our first snowfall today. It is freezing out so the poor trick or treaters may not be having so much fun in the freezing cold. I am playing Scrooge (for lack of a proper term for Halloween) and was trying to pay some bills but my online banking wouldn't let me in for the 3rd time this months so I am upstairs talking to customer service and my doorbell keeps getting stuck so I can hear this constant buzz. If I go out and press it it will stop but if kids are on their way up my walk I'm in big trouble. LOL

Hershey, I just remembered that I needed to go to the pharmacy to get more Prilosec and I forgot. I have a small hiatal hernia but it is very possible that my new gastro didn't look at my records very well when he had me do a colonoscopy without the upper endoscopy. In the past they found not only polyps in my colon but also in my stomach which I think is a bit unusual. I may venture out later but I hate to drive at night on Halloween for fear of hitting someone. I am glad that your car is back and insurance matters seem to be on track. The last big wreck I was in my car was totaled so it seemed like a long process. It was not my fault thankfully. I hope your DH is managing his acid reflux comfortably.

Well I better go unstick my doorbell before something awful happens!

Have a good night everyone. Stay warm for those who are in cold temps now.

Love

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Good morning ladies,

Nancy, I'm glad your windows are all completed, also praying for stomach issues you are having and a good nights rest each night.

Hershey, so glad the car is back and insurance settling, praying for you and your DH and acid reflux.

Chris, we are praying that you soon are back to feeling better and enjoying a pretty view of snow on the mountains.

Carol, I'm praying for your procedure and that all goes well with a good report.

Teka, I know what you mean by snow, we had 5 inches a few days ago. It's starting to melt now. Praying for you too!

GB we're praying that your insurance will be switched to a better company.

It sounds like there is a move lined up for my sister on the 17th of this month to memory care, their youngest son will come and be there at the time. I think it's going to go over like a lead balloon, But we know the Lord can work all things out in ways that we can't imagine. They are in an independent living facility and the memory care unit is close by, not in the same building but across the street (not a busy street, but a street within the complex). I was with my nurse friend at a cardiologist appointment yesterday, and was able to record on my phone what he said so I could print it out later and she could read it. He does want her to stay on a blood thinner because of the A Fib incident in July. She had wanted to discontinue because of cost and thought it increased hot flashes, or made her not feel real good. But he thought Eloquis is the best one out there.

Praying for you all. Love, Wheatfields

• hersheykiss

Wheatfields, I will pray for you and your family as your sister makes the move to the memory care center. Having her son present on the 17th is a blessing, as is being across the street from her husband's apartment. I truly hope that this change is a smooth one for everybody.

There was a discussion on my neighborhood Nextdoor about Eliquis. A man on disability was exploring other options due to its very high cost. Some people recommended speaking with the physician about a switch to Warfarin (much lower cost but requiring regular bloodwork and dietary restrictions).

Our Halloween was a quiet one, with 30 to 35 kiddos coming to the house. All were with a parent or parents, they were extremely polite, everyone thanked us, and most wished us a happy Halloween. The last trick-or-treater came at 7:45, and we turned out the porch light at 8:15. We have leftover chocolates, but I suppose that's better than running out of candy. At least my husband will get his KitKat fix for the year! ;-)

• sunshine99

Good morning. I'm sort of playing catchup here. Thank you for the prayers for my procedure next week. It will be nice to hopefully get some answers.

Chris, I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

Nancy, I hope your stomach issues get resolved. It just seems never-ending sometimes…

DH turns 65 today. We're making apple pies tonight. He's quite the pro at apple pie making!

Gotta run, but praying everyone has a good day,

Carol