Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704

Nancy, your initiative is impressive! I admire your courage venturing out in the dark to a secluded location by yourself. Your efforts paid off with some amazing photos. I must say that the last one is my very favorite. The sunburst and colors are spectacular.

Carol, it's wonderful that your family is there with you. I'm glad that you are surrounded with so much love.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872

Thank you everyone. What I didn't tell you is I couldn't sleep most of the night before the big sunrise shoot. I knew this was going to be a bit scary and I had staked out this place several times but even with that prep it was a bit scary at first. Running into deer was one thing but the idea of running into a coyote was another even though that has happened to me in the past. The only reason I bought the headlamp was I was watching some photographers giving hints on YouTube in how to prepare for a sunrise shoot and one guy mentioned the headlamp. I am sure glad he did.

Teka, I have learned that your foreground is just as important as your main subject in photography so I was trying to get that red bush in my lens because it definitely stood out in all of the grass.

Carol, are you a grandma? I am glad your kids are with you. Praying for your MRI today.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

If I could indulge you again with some sunset photos from this evening. I have an app which gives me a percentage of prediction on both sunrise and sunsets potential for some good color etc. Tonight the percentage was quite high for our area. So I went out and took some shots. I had an interesting photo shoot happening behind me. It was a VERY pregnant lady in a very tight red long dress with her DH and the photographer who I am guessing was a good friend. They were having a good time and I am sure she was freezing.

Anyway I thought my photos were a bust but I came home and did some editing. The clouds were amazing but I had to up the saturation on the color.

Carol, I hope your MRI went without a hitch and that you get results very soon.

Wheatfields, praying for the move for tomorrow for your sister.

• hersheykiss

Nancy, the cloud formations certainly make for some amazing subject matter. I like the icy white aircraft contrail across the deep blue sky in your third photo. Were the photos taken in the same vicinity as your sunrise shots?

• bandwoman1234

Hershey, these sunset pictures were taken at a lake I frequent often. Lots of people around and a dog park there as well. It is maybe a mile away from the sunrise photos where the river is which a walking trail connects the two but the sunrise place is a much more secluded place and not on the walking trail which made it a bit more scary.

Yes the plane coming through I definitely wanted to get in my frame. I missed a flock of geese which always makes for a neat sunset pic. My app for this morning showed a good percentage of a good sunrise and I thought about it for two seconds last night and thought NO. I have already had my adventure for the week! LOL

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Dear Ladies,

Nancy, I love those photos, they are beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.

I received a text from my nephew tonight that they did move my sister to memory care and it was advised that my BIL stay away for awhile. Also, no mobile phone for a few days. She did have dinner with a friend of hers that moved to memory care about a year ago. But then was ready to go home. My heart goes out to her and wish I could be of some comfort. I've been praying most of the day. My nephew, her son, will go in the morning to have breakfast with her and then again to have Thanksgiving dinner with her and so that will be special for her. So thankful for that.

Carol, also, thankful that your home is filled with loved ones. Praying for each of you, Hershey, Chris, Teka and GB.

My nurse friend is getting a little better each day, she told me she feels kind of confused at times and so I don't know if that is from the small TIA. But she has an appointment on Wednesday with the regular doctor and so we will ask.

Thank you for your prayers.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields, I am glad that your sister is now moved. That is great that she knows someone there that is a resident too. My Mom did the same thing. They suggested that one of us stay with her the first night so I took the first night. My Mom got up really early the next morning and was dressed and said let's go home now. I am wondering if they wanted your BIL to stay away for a few days because she would take her anger out on him. I am so glad your nephew will be there to have breakfast with her and then again for Thanksgiving. That will be a great help in her transition. Do you know how many residents live there in the memory care? My Mom was in a very small assisted living facility and that worked well for her but she was never in a memory care facility even though her dementia got worse especially when the pandemic hit and lock down was so hard on the elderly and those in facilities. I know she was not alone in that. Many, many will admit that the pandemic was just devastating to seniors in general.

I know that will be a comfort to you when you can talk to her. The best thing you can do for her now is pray. I know how difficult this must be for you. I will continue to pray for this initial transition. I am so glad she has a friend there. That will really make a difference. My Mom didn't know a soul and was so used to living alone she didn't want to stay and socialize with the other people at her table in the dining room. I would go and sit with her many days when I was visiting and she just wanted to head back to her room. I did get her to play bingo and she enjoyed that.

I know you are concerned about your friend as well. I hope her doctor will be able to shed some light on her concerns she is having. It is good to hear she is improving.

Thank you for your kind words on my photos. It is good to feel that passion come back after having so many physcial set backs the last couple of years that I was not able to go out with my camera.

Have a good night. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss

Wheatfields, I'm thankful that your sister knows another resident at the memory care center. Hopefully the relationship will help her from being too homesick for your BIL and their apartment. Perhaps that's why the care center asked your BIL to stay away for a bit. My mom did not know anyone when she moved into assisted living. Two nice gentlemen residents took her under their wings and introduced her to the baking club, arts & crafts club, and church group. They really helped my mom to adjust to the assisted living culture. I hope your sister's relationship with the other resident eases her transition to memory care.

• bandwoman1234
  • sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Good morning, dear sisters. I'm enjoying my time here in the desert with my dad and sister (and DH).

Will have a "family meeting" later today to let my dad know my latest news. My MRI showed no significant changes since the last brain scan in March. Once I have the PET scan on 12/7 (or hopefully earlier) the RO will schedule the radiation. We're planning on going to Utah for Christmas and I'm hoping radiation won't interfere with that. It's supposed to be 10 sessions, but if it interferes with Christmas travel, I'm hoping we can put it off until January. I don't think a couple of weeks will make a huge difference.

I wish everyone a blessed and peaceful Thanksgiving. We acually have no big plans and may just go out to eat somewhere. None of us wants to spend all day in the kitchen - we just want to be together. DH showed my dad last night how to watch a football game in 15 minutes or less. You Tube lets you watch the highlights of the game with just a few commercials. My dad was quite impressed. I think they watched one football game and two tennis matches.

Love to all,

Carol

• sunshine99

Sisters, a quick praise report. We told my dad this afternoon and it was such a peaceful, oh, I don't even know how to explain it, experience. He was obviously concerned, but we just talked about test results, treatment plans, etc., and it was really good.

We also decided to wait until Monday to head home. He is leaving Monday morning to head toward his new home in Seattle. My sister and I both felt like it would just be wrong for us to head home on Sunday and leave him to close up the house on his own before he left. We're going to send him off with hugs and love on Monday morning and then my sister will leave for Utah, and we'll head back to San Diego. It was God-inspired, we believe and another way of God looking out for my dear dad.

More later,

Carol

• hersheykiss

Wishing everyone safe travels and a most blessed Thanksgiving.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Carol, so happy for the good report and answer to prayer on telling your Dad. God is good! Waiting until Monday to leave is a considerate and loving idea. It sounds like you have a loving family.

We spent a wonderful few hours at Santa's Village today in 60* weather. Score! It was cold by the time we left though. Stopped for dinner on the way home. My back is hurting but my heart is happy.

Praying a blessed Thanksgiving for all.

Chris

• bandwoman1234

Hershey, thank you for posting the 100th Psalm. It is a good reminder of what Thanksgiving is all about.

Carol, I am glad your MRI was stable and so glad you had a good talk with your Dad. I know that was a big concern for you. Staying to see your Dad off was a very kind and loving thing to do. Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family tomorrow.

Chris, so glad you were able to spend the day at Santa's Village. I hope that means you are feeling better and I hope your back will get better if you do some PT.

I have had some Cable issues recently so a good part of this week was taking care of that and having techs out today. I switched out my tv box and it would not work. So I thought I might be spending this week alone with no TV. Luckily a customer service person from the Phillipines was able to get it up and running and then said we detect a problem with your outside line. Hence the workers here today fixing those issues. I was thinking of this week as being a vacation as I had no apts all week but that hasn't actually happened yet. I will spend Thanksgiving alone so I can take care of Cammie.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow for Thanksgiving.

Love

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Hershey, thank you for posting Psalms 100, it is very good!

Carol, so happy to hear of your Dad and staying there until Monday, also the stable MRI.

Nancy, praying that you will have some restful days soon!

It sounds so far like things are going well in memory care, which only the Lord could arrange. It is surely an answer to prayer, thank you so much for your prayers. My nephew has gone over there periodically each day and also her friends from independent living have come over a number of times. They are what I call her "walking group" , there is a group of 3 or 4 ladies that she walked with for an hour each evening at 8:00 while she was in independent. It is from that group that one lady has been in memory care now for about a year. So my sister knows her. That does make it real nice for her. The staff said that things were going quite well and she has been participating in most activities. My nurse friend had a follow up appointment yesterday with the primary doctor and we got assurance that the concern she has about memory is not dementia but could be after effects of the TIA and would disappear, also that the brain MRI was normal and there was no evidence of damage. I think she was concerned why I could remember better about our trip to emergency and events surrounding it than she did but everyone agrees that would be expected.

Continuing in prayer for all!

Love, Wheatfields

• sunshine99

Hi ladies,

We had a quiet, pleasant Thanksgiving. We were going to just go to IHOP, but they were closed (good for them!) so we went to Mimi's Cafe instead. We didn't have reservations, but got in right away. They had a fixed menu with soup/salad choices for the starter, a choice of light or dark turkey meat and a choice of pumpkin or pecan pie for desert. It was nice. Nothing spectacular and I brought about half my meal home. My dad and DH watched part of the SF/Seattle game then turned in early.

I had a rough night with severe pain and just couldn't get comfortable. I finally slept for a little while at about 6 am, but it wasn't a fun night. The pain was mostly in my back and should.er, and I have no idea what caused it. Am popping Tylenol today. Fortunately, I can swallow the capsules.

Am finishing up my latest blog post and will have my sister proofread it for me before I hit the "Publish" button. (Will probably publish it on Sunday.) She's going to have breakfast this morning with a long-time friend from college. Dad and DH are out at the flying field with their planes, practicing manuvers for the next contest.

More later,

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight

Oh Carol, so sorry to read you had a painful night but glad you can still swallow tylenol. It is my daily friend! I was going to comment on the model airfield near Sea World until I remembered you were still in the desert. Sounds like a lovely day.

We had a nice Thanksgiving at the BIL's house. There were just six of us but my SIL cooked the whole spread minus the little I brought. It started snowing as we left and won't get above 17* today… Brrr… But I was able to eat a full meal which is a good thing. Today I will just recover in the recliner near the fireplace. It is contained so I can sit here with my oxygen safely being thankful I had my mini machine to take with me to family gatherings. It worked great! I am perusing Amazon's Black Friday deals trying to finish the Christmas shopping. I am close.

Stay warm everyone.

Love, Chris

• sunshine99

Chris, he does go, occasionally, to the field near Seaworld. It's funny that you would know where that is.

I just woke up from an almost two-hour nap and am feeling better. DH roasted a batch of Brussels sprouts. They're a little hard to eat, but oh, so good!

I'm glad you can sit by/near your fireplace with your oxygen. That would be sad to miss out on that.

I noticed you have Faslodex as one of your treatments. Are you still on that? How are you feeling with that? I just started, so I have no idea what to expect. Was my pain due to my recent (about a week ago) injection? I hope not. Don't know if I could tolerate that long term. I stopped the Arimindex and haven't taken my Ibrance since July. I'm still scheduled to get my Zometa infusion next week.

I'm working away on hats/blankets/amigurumi toys for Christmas and baby gifts. It's kind of funny how unbothered I am by ripping something out (we call it "frogging") and starting over again. I was working on a hat for my grand-niece and decided I should have been using a smaller crochet hook. Started over with a 5mm instead of a 6 mm and think I like the result better.

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight

Carol, when we lived in San Diego we lived in Pacific Beach so we passed the mini airfield many times. I always wondered who used it. We used to watch the fireworks from SeaWorld from our deck.

I have been on Faslodex for 1 1/2 years now. I am usually achy for two or three days afterwards. It is possible you have some random pain from it. I would rather not take Faslodex but it has helped keep me stable so I accept it. Most of my discomfort is from some occasional numbness in my thighs a few days after the shots. I am also on Zometa which I have been on for 7 1/2 years. I do very well on it. I have learned that requesting a slow drip of Zometa helps reduce the achiness from the drug. Also, I take Claritan the day before and the day of my Zometa infusion. I don't know why but it helps.

I frog projects all the time, but remember, your work doesn't have to be perfect. Blankets, for the most part, but amigurumi toys don't need to be perfect. A little error just adds to its charm. My grandkids play with them anyway.

• hersheykiss

Wheatfields, such good news about your sister! It must be a relief for you and your family knowing that the move to memory care is going well. I'm glad that your nephew has been able to spend time with her over the long holiday weekend.

Carol and Chris, your Thanksgiving dinners sound very nice. My husband is on-call this week, so we spent a quiet Thanksgiving at home. We put up our outdoor Christmas lights, and my husband watched the Washington-Dallas football game. How about Dolly Parton?! She really stole the half-time show in her Cowboys cheerleader uniform!

• sunshine99

Chris, thank you for your reply. I don't think my pain is because of the Faslodex, but if it continues, I'll mention it to my MO. I don't have a fever (maybe just a tiny bit higher than my normal temp) so I don't think I'm sick. I just hurt. You wouldn't think the SEs would show up a week later.

The Zometa is every three months now and is thankfully a non-event. I had flu-like symptoms the first few times, but now, nothing.

As with any med, there is a long list of possible SEs. Kind of makes me laugh.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. It's Friday, right?

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Hi everyone.

I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. I started feeling sick on Thanksgiving so after having some soup Cammie and I took a very long nap in my Lazy Boy. I still didn't feel well on Friday but started getting better. I am going to trust my memory. Carol, I sure hope you haven't had anymore painful nights. I know you are still with your Dad until Monday. I hope you can cherish that time with him before he moves.

Chris, I am glad your SIL hosted Thanksgiving. I was thinking you were going to and was relieved that you didn't. Resting by the fire sounds relaxing. I have a real fire place and haven't used it in over 15 yrs. Guess how old Cammie is? That is the reason I haven't used it because she was so impulsive as a kitten I didn't trust her and could see her diving into the fire.

Wheatfields, I am so pleased your sister seems to be doing really well. I am continuing to pray for all of you as it is an adjustment for the whole family. I am praying for your friend as well.

GB, how are you and your family doing? I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Hershey, glad you and DH spent a quiet Thanksgiving at home. I missed the Dolly Parton half time show. If the Bears are winning I'll watch but usually not. You know how your senior year in HS they have the most likely to succeed etc. I was voted most athletic girl in my HS class. You would think I would enjoy watching sports. I liked to play sports of various kinds but as a spectator not so much.

Teka, I hope those kitties behave themselves. LOL You know what they say about curiosity………………………..LOL I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Have a good rest of the weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Hi all, just a quick update. Had my CT and bone scans - both essentially stable.

Genetic testing came back with several mutations including the PIK3 and ATM. There is a new medication that was just approved for the PIK3 which sounds a lot easier that Piqray. I've heard awful things about that med and my MO agrees.

PET scan on Saturday will give us more info on how to proceed. Radiation will happen once the PET scan is complete.

We're back in the desert just for the night to do a bit of cleanup and stuff after Thanksgiving. My dad left some stuff behind (intentionally) so we need to take it to the local charity. I think he may have taken my disabled parking placard with him, or thrown it away. I was able to get a replacement in about an hour at the DMV. By the way, if you walk into the DMV with a cane, you go immediately to the shorter "appointment" line. Still had to wait for my number to be called, but at least I didn't have to stand in the really long line. I felt a little guilty, but I got over it. haha

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing ok. A friend is dropping by for a quick visit this evening. Haven't seen her in a while, so it will be nice to catch up with her.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Hi ladies,

I found out on Monday that one of my bank accounts had suspicious activity. Long story short is a hacker somehow got "into" my account and changed my phone number to his/her and changed my bank to theirs as well. They tried to withdraw $10,000 and thank God the fraud dept caught this and emailed me on Monday. The bad part besides the horror and scariness of all of this is that the bank concluded I was too much of a risk and over the course of a couple of days it went to we will close your account and open a new one to……….we are sending your money back because you are too much of a risk. I was absolutely stunned as I have been with this bank for many, many years. Now I am trying to get my money back and that has an exercise in extreme patience and I don't want to go into anymore detail than that.

I have spent a good part of this week on the phone for hours over the course of several days. I did have the Geek Squad do a thorough scan of both of my computers and they were clean and NO evidence of anyone hacking into my computers. I did talk to my local bank tonight before they closed and the manager made me feel a lot better. I suspected my local bank in this incident for some reasons I won't go into but he assured me it was not on their end. The hacker knew my user name and password to get as far as they did. That was the really scary part.

I would appreciate your prayers for this whole mess to be resolved. I have already opened another account at a different bank after talking with my financial guy and now just waiting to get my money back.

Teka, I agree. Where did November go. I am still asking where did the summer go!

Carol, I imagine that was hard to see your Dad off to his new residence. I read your blog and I found myself not having any appropriate words for you. I continue to be amazed at your strength and courage through this awful time. I know that God will heal you either on this Earth or in heaven. Trusting Him to do His will for you is not an easy thing at all. The fact that you can see a silver lining in this is amazing. I pray that God will take your hand as you go through these further scans and treatments. I will say that from the time I started on this thread in 2014 to now there are more treatments for advanced breast cancer that there was nine years ago. You know that all of us on this forum will be praying for you along the way and I know that you have a great network of friends and family also walking through this with you. I am sorry that you have to go through all of this and I wish I could give you a big hug in person. Know that I will be praying and God will be right there every step of the way.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553

Nancy, what a hassle about your bank account! We've had the credit card stolen more than a few times, and I'm always impressed how quickly the bank catches it and calls me. But it's such a hassle.

We're doing OK! I'm getting a massage (special oncology massage) for the first time today in many many years. I have Olympic gold medal level neck and shoulder tension that really needs professional help. Both PT and oncology recommended this for my back and neck pain. I'm a little nervous about being in such close proximity to someone, but we'll both wear a mask. I guess it's about the same as getting a haircut, risk wise. Not sure how I will breathe in the KN95 face down in the loopy loop you put your face in, lol. I will manage!

In other news I'm back in my office at work a year plus after the plumbing flood! :-)

• hersheykiss
    edited December 2023

Oh Nancy, how upsetting to have your bank account hacked. Scammers and hackers have become so sophisticated. I'm glad that Geek Squad found no evidence that your computers were compromised. I recently went through something similar and understand the worry and work involved to protect accounts. One concern I have is that the hackers were able to view and change your phone number. It may be wise to contact your service provider and check if there have been any requests for new SIM cards. I don't mean to alarm you, but the hackers could be receiving two-factor authentication security codes for your accounts.

GB, I hope your massage brings you much relief. It's wonderful that your oncology department offers the service to patients.

I've volunteered to write Christmas cards to nursing home residents. Cards will be distributed at the Christmas celebration on December 19. So far, I'm about 1/6 of the way through the card list. I bet you all can guess what I'll be doing this afternoon! ;-)

• intolight

Nancy, how scary! Yes, it sounds like an inside job. What a hassle…and why always just before Christmas?!

gb, an oncology massage sounds just like the right thing. Maybe wear a lighter mask just when you are breathing through the "hole."

Carol, your blog is so brave. Yes, you are deeply loved. Your silver linings are images of many blessings.

My DH is happily activating National Parks in Kansas with his HAM radio operator friends today. I have an app that lets me follow him and see where he is. Big Brother is watching! Me? I am reading a new book snuggled and cozy in my chair. I still have extra stomach pain but I am trying to ignore it. I am also ignoring dust, dirt, and dirty dishes.

Love, Chris

• sunshine99

Oh, Nancy! Wow! I don’t even know what to say. Who ever heard of a bank saying that to a customer. I will certainly pray that the issue is quickly resolved and that you can (if you have to) find a new bank. How are you supposed to pay your bills, etc., without a bank?

I had my PET scan this morning. No word, of course, but I hope to hear on Monday. Radiation mapping session is scheduled for 12/7 and then I’m hoping radiation can begin the following week. That would make it the two weeks before Christmas. We’re going to St. George, Utah, for Christmas and it would be nice to have the radiation completed.

I got a call from my dad today, but missed it, so we’ll call him back this evening. He called us the first two nights on the way to Seattle and seemed to be enjoying the trip. I know God has a plan in all of this.

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words and encouragement for my blog. DH and I pray over it daily and ask God to use it for His glory.

Not much else going on. We drove back out to the desert today for a few things that need to be done and then will head back home tomorrow. There is an Ironman Triathlon here tomorrow. Ironman??? Where do they swim? Do they run from here to the coast and then swim? Swim in the Salton Sea???

Love and prayers for all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

GB, I received a massage free with my oncology dept years ago. It was such a blesssing. I hope yours makes you feel completely relaxed. So glad you are back in your office. That is a early Christmas present for sure albeit a year long wait!!

Chris, I pray that your stomach issues are something you can deal with. I am having those too but I know mine is stress. Relaxing in a cozy chair sounds wonderful. I have been doing some of that tonight and watching Elf.

Hershey, one thing I don't know is if I even had my cell number listed for this account. By the time I saw my profile I just remember seeing the hackers's info. I have a pay as you go cell phone so it is not the same as having a contract with a provider. Not sure how much help I would get.

Carol, I know you want to have those radiation treatments soon and it will be good to get in several before Christmas. Regarding my recent bank hack it was not my checking account but an online savings account. The thing is I need that money NOW and I am almost afraid to call this bank again thinking things could get worse and they could hold up my money indefinitely so I don't want to tick them off. They would not tell me what they found that would make me too much of a risk. When I read online it acts like they are obligated to tell you when asked but they said they could not tell me. It is a very strange feeling thinking they might think I am a criminal.

I am surprisingly calm about it today and praying that it will all work out. I have already opened another bank account with a better savings rate so maybe this is meant to be.

Wheatfields, have you been able to talk to your sister yet? How is your friend doing too? How are YOU doing?

Teka, this afternoon I heard Cammie meowing like something was wrong, I was not used to this sound and it was loud and persistent. I was upstairs and I went downstairs trying to find her. I thought something terrible had happened. She was having a fit because a black cat was at my patio door looking inside at her. It made her so upset. She used to have what I called her boyfriend and this cat would come to the door and Cammie acted like she like that cat. I think they had a secret romance going on. LOL This cat would not budge when I tapped on the glass. It finally wondered off.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love

Nancy