Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Nancy and intolight, I’m sorry you’ve both had rough weeks. Pain is hard to deal with. I will pray for a better day and a better week for both of you.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,746
    Options

Chris, I'm sorry to hear of your awful back pain and that you had to go to the ER. Do you have any idea what is causing this? Did you find the ER doctors helpful? I hope they gave you some meds to help. Glad you are doing better. I find that seeing sunshine makes all the difference in my outlook on most everything. Thank you for your prayers. You have mine as well.

Carol, thank you for your prayers and your post. How are you feeling? Are you able to eat more foods now? Are you still enjoying your knitting? How is that baby blanket coming along?

My therapist tried to shift into more weight bearing exercises and it just about put me over the edge. I had awful pain everywhere and had to get up in the middle of the night to take some Tylenol. My therapist is pretty direct with me and he has already told me his wife has fibromyalgia so he talks freely with me about my issues with it. He said with normal people I just push them harder to move forward in their rehab but he said I have to do the opposite with you. I had messaged him saying that these particular new exercises were just way too much for me. So our next session he backed off. My challenge is both physical and emotional. Knowing that this surgery has been pretty easy for others it is difficult to accept that I am having so many more challenges than I had expected. I think of how in the world will I survive a much more complicated orthopedic surgery in the future. This week I only have one apt as opposed to something every day last week so that will help. I have felt very isolated which is not good. I think this week will be better.

Thank you both for your concern. I am praying for both of you and for all of the sisters here.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,156
    Options

Nancy, I am so sorry you are struggling more. I don't understand it either, but will pray God intercedes and removes your pain and speeds your healing.

I did not go to the ER this time. My pain is better, but not gone. I remembered the last time when the ER doc just told me I need more exercise. Although it angered me, it has kept me from going to the ER. Since it still persists, I will message my doctor and see what he says. I think it happened when I walked our dog uphill carrying my oxygen. It is not usually a problem, but perhaps I pulled something.

I am available for prayer for anyone who needs it special today.

Love, Chris

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 164
    Options

Chris, you are a great prayer warrior! I'm praying that you are soon feeling much better.

Nancy, praying that your pain becomes more manageable and eventually is resolved.

Carol, your new QR code is really great. Praying for you also and for all the dear ladies here.

I'm home with a bad cold, although it's getting better. I must have sounded real bad because a couple nights ago when I called my sister she said who am I speaking too? I've been able to talk to her most nights and we chat for 10 minutes or so. She has had some opportunities to get out with friends and do things that she used to do, although she is still talking about "going back to the apartment". I wonder if having one foot in the real world makes it harder to accept staying in memory care. I don't think she realizes how much better it is for her there, with friends and activities going on than the apartment where she'd became bored and would stay in bed or nap a lot. My nurse friend is doing better and sleeping better so that is good. I think I caught this cold while we were over helping her brother with laundry and sheets. He had a cold and I thought I did all the things like wash hands, not touch your face, etc. But must have missed something!

Have a blessed week everyone!

Love, Wheatfields

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 651
    Options

Chris and Nancy, I will pray that this week brings you healing and encouragement.

Wheatfields, I'm sorry that you've caught a cold. It's good to read that your nurse friend is feeling better and getting some quality sleep.

Nancy, I'm glad that you messaged your physical therapist about the pain from the weight-bearing exercises. My previous therapist was firm in her conviction that stretches and rehab exercises should never hurt or be painful. It's important that we advocate for ourselves, and I'm glad that you did that.

There have been several posts on my neighborhood Nextdoor about the difficulty in scheduling medical appointments. My physician is recommending I have a 5-10 minute in-office procedure, and the first available appointment is the third week of May. Medical providers must be very backed up in my area.

Did anyone have good viewing of the eclipse?

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, I misunderstood your previous post but I am glad your pain got better without having to go to the ER. I was most concerned about not doing my back exercises because I had so many knee exercises but I have found that some of the knee exercises were stretching similar muscles in my back. My therapist is always telling me I have to take some time off to let my muscles recouperate so I finally took off Sunday and that helped. Chris, are you able to do any stretching with your oxygen. I wish I could send my myotherapist I had for years to you as she was all into the trigger point philosopy and gentle stretches but a lot of hands on. Your back may only need muscles stretches. You are a dear to offer yourself today in prayer. I pray for you all the time as I do everyone here. I hope you had a good day with less pain.

Wheatfields, I will pray for your cold and that it will leave quickly. I hope you are getting enough rest. Helping out your friends brother is a sacrifice of love. I am glad to hear your friend is sleeping better.

Hershey, I bought solar glasses online a week or so ago. I got a pack of 2. I knew you could use your cell phone and put another pair of glasses over the lens. I did go to the lake just to be with people and start to feel alive again. It was a great energy in the hundreds that came out. One guy asked me if they were still giving free glasses away and I said I don't know. I paid $16 for mine! Later this one young gal was by herself and had a cereal box to view. So walked over to her and asked how her box was working and I saw in the box. It was not impressive so I asked if she would like my glasses as my attempts at photographying were not working well. She was thrilled and that made me feel good and I saw her passing them to others to see so I was pleased how that all worked out. We had 94% coverage and not totality but it did get colder and it was very windy and I was really cold. So I have lived through two others but not with eclipse glasses so this was pretty cool. Once in a lifetime for me unless I live into my 90's. How about you? Did you get to see it?

Carol, I am doing better after taking Sunday off from my exercises. I felt like I had been in my first day of boot camp and my body just totally rebelled. It is better but I just now finished all of my exercises and it is a lot. So hopefully I won't be in pain tomorrow as I have my 8th session evaluation. Then I have almost a week off before my next 8 sessions start and then I have a new therapist for the first two of those. How are you doing? Are you getting typical SD weather now. My best friend from elementary school lives in Berkely and she sent me some pics of her garden. She is growing a huge orchid outside so I am waiting for a pic of hers when it blooms.

Kerry, are you still here?????????? Still praying for you.

GB and Teka I hope you are both doing well.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• teka
    teka Member Posts: 11
    Options

Nancy,

I agree with hersheykiss.

We enjoyed total eclipse.

In my prayers one and all.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Teka, that must have been awesome. I may have considered traveling to one of those areas if it was not for my rehab for my knee. I had fun anyway even though we all knew it was not going to be a total eclipse. It would have been fun to see the diamond ring (I think they call it) and seeing the corona around the sun.

I know you told me before but how many sessions of PT did you have? I have 16 on the books and that is spread out to make it more weeks than it could have if things would have been scheduled with no hitches but that didn't happen. I sure hope that my therapist won't say we need more than that but I am bracing for that.

I hope you are doing well.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options

My new orchids in April. I still have new buds flowering. They are at their peak as the yellow ones have started dropping some blooms. I am really glad I got these as they have given me such joy in my recovery.

• teka
    edited April 9
    Options

So lovely!

I had total right knee replacement surgery on 10-31-22.

I had 20 sessions of PT spread out from 11-7-22 until 2-2-23. I was so glad when PT was finished.

• sunshine99
    Options

Good morning, all.

Nancy, lovely orchids.

SIL and her kids came over to watch the eclipse yesterday. A few neighbors were out, too. It wasn't totality here, but still good. DH had some glasses that he passed around.

Chris, thinking of you. teka, good to hear from you, too. Hi to wheatfields, and all the rest of my lovely sisters.

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited April 9
    Options

Nancy, your day spent at the lake must have been so much fun, and how kind of you to share your glasses. We were outside the shadow's path, but the sunlight was dimmer (more like late afternoon sunshine instead of high noon light). Your orchids are stunning and look very happy and healthy.

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, stunning orchids! So, so pretty. Praying your knee is improving.

Carol, so nice to have family nearby to share in the little things. Our DD took our granddaughter out of school and we all enjoyed lunch at home while watching our partial eclipse. Then she took her back. The school is in the midst of state testing but they allowed parents to take their kids out to enjoy the view for that short period of time. It was clear here, but very cold. We could see it from our balcony and kept running back in to warm up. I need summer!!!

My UTI has returned…argh! I have an appointment this afternoon. Hopefully we can take care of whatever is going on!

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 164
    Options

Hi ladies,

Does anyone have an opinion on a good calcium supplement to take? I already have osteoporosis. I have recently read about Nature City's true osteo calcium in the "Save our Bones" newsletter. Just wondering if I should switch from the Country Life calcium supplement that I have been taking.

Chris, praying for the UTI to be resolved easily. Praying for all you.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thank you Teka. My therapist is pulled in so many directions and I feel sorry for him. He had forgotten that I had scheduled 8 more sessions at his request a couple weeks ago. Today was the last of my initial 8 sessions and he seemed like he thought I wanted it to end. Of course I would like it to be over but I knew I needed more support. So we'll see. Thanks for giving me your rehab detail again. I can only imagine how thrilled you are that it is OVER!!!!! I have a bit of a break until next Wed and I feel like it's the first day of spring break! LOL

Carol, I am glad you got to share the eclipse with family and neighbors. I really felt like a new person just being out with so many people sharing a wonderful experiece. I have not been back to church yet as the walk into church is so very long…………….but I have ditched my cane as of today and hopefully will get to return to church this Sunday. We ALL need community and I was sorely missing that.

Thank you Hershey. I got quite cold during the eclipse and I didn't realize that the temp was supposed to drop and it sure did. I got on our local TV station while I was watcing the eclipse. They had their camera and their guy talking right in front of me as he was wrapping up the day so I got to see myself on their Facebook page even though I am not on Facebook so that was pretty funny. That whole experience was like a shot in the arm for me which I sorely needed.

Chris, I am glad you got to share the eclipse with your family. Being able to warm up going inside was a plus for sure. My neighbors took their kids out of school for two days to go with other family to a lake house out of state. Our school district did not take the day off as many in Illinois did as the southern part of the state was in the path of complete total eclipse. I am SO sorry that you have another UTI. I know we have discussed this on this thread before but have you tried probiotics. When I have gone to urgent care in the past for something that needed antibiotics some of the doctors also prescribe a probiotic to take along with the AB. I know your situation may be more complex than I realize but I know that taking antibiotics knocks out the good bacteria in your gut and it is that very bacteria that you need to ward off infections. I take a probiotic every single day to help get the good bacteria back in my gut after having many doses of antibiotics in my past. I know you must have had many discussions with your doctor but I hope you can do something that will get you out of this cycle of infections which has to be just miserable. You have my prayers!

Wheatfields, maybe someone will weigh in on your question. I don't currently take a calcium supplement because it is included in many of my supplements that have a big variety of vitamins and minerals already in their formula. Can your reach out to your pcp or your oncologist for a recommendation?

Thank you all on your nice comments on my orchids. I am thoroughly enjoying them and am so glad I got them when I did.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited April 10
    Options

Wheatfields, I am not familiar with Nature City supplements. I've been using Nature Made products. They are verified by the United States Pharmacopeia (USP), reasonably priced, and widely available. Walgreens and Kroger regularly offer buy-one-get-one sales on Nature Made vitamins and supplements.

I second Nancy's suggestion that your physician or a registered dietitian may be able to recommend the best calcium choices that will work for you.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

My first outing this year to the Arboretum. I didn't have my good camera but did have a chance to take some pics with my cell phone. It was so good to get out. Because of our cold nights the spring blooms are a little late coming out fully.

Here are some pics of the magnolia area of the Arboretum.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, beautiful spring photos!

• hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, your photos of the magnolia blossoms are beautiful. Your cellphone has a great little camera!

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thank you Carol and Hershey. It was great getting outside without my cane.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, lovely pictures! The new trees we just planted are already starting to bud so I know they were planted correctly. I am looking forward to full bloom but it will be another month here in Colorado. I get envoius of all of the flowers you all post remembering all we had in San Diego. Another place, another time!

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thank you Chris. How are you feeling? I hope much better. That will be exciting watching your new trees bud. I know coming from SD CO is a drastic change. I hope when spring hits you will be able to thoroughly enjoy your new deck and all the new landscaping.

Wheatfields, how are you feeling? I hope your cold is on the way out the backdoor!!!!

Have a nice weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• teka
    edited April 15
    Options

Nancy,

Lovely magnolia pics and look at you without a cane!

I picked a few daffodil blooms from the backyard.

Intolight,

Your UTI now under control?

wheatfields,

Spring cold. :o( Soak up some sunshine. ;o)

I stopped years ago taking a calcium supplement. I feared might cause kidney stones.

However, calcium is included in the multivitamin/multimineral supplement I take daily.

In my prayers one and all.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thanks Teka. It was a great mental boost to be without the cane. I had hoped to go back to church today without my cane but I had a bad night of little sleep and felt awful this morning so I was very disappointed but I watched my church service on YouTube. Your daffodils are lovely. I should have taken my sister's recommendation and cut off some for inside but I didn't and now they are done for now. I have a few tulips that have survived the chipmunks. The yellow ones must have been tastier because those all disappeared many years ago and I was left with red ones and they have almost all disappeared too.

I got outside to actually take a good look at my yard. Oh my do I have my work cut out for me with all the weeds in my flower beds. My hostas are all coming up along with the weeds. I have to figure a way to weed without hurting my knee. I don't know if those things with wheels you can sit on would work in my yard or not. I need to figure this out pretty soon.

Enjoy this spring. Today felt like summer. I have the windows open for the first time this season. I am appreciating my new windows more and more.

Have a great week.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

Teka, love the daffodils! Yes, the UTI is getting better, thanks for asking! The doc had to change the antibiotics as the one he prescribed first was the wrong one for the culture. Sigh… so it was back to Walmart for the new Rx. I already feel better. I am allergic to sulfa drugs so that limits what I can take for a UTI.

Nancy, I too want to go outside and work in the yard, but alas that is not in my abilities anymore. However, it is finally above 70° here in Colorado…yay! Feeling better so I may start the Spring cleaning. I have to do it in bits and drabs, a little at a time, so it will take me all Spring! In the meantime I can go out on the deck and enjoy the view.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Today is the day I have been looking forward to in a long time. Getting out with my good camera to take some pics of Virginia Bluebells. It requires getting on my knees and that didn't work out so well. I had my knee brace on under my jeans and it slipped and it was not allowing me to get on my knees like I had planned but I still got a few shots which I will share some from today.

Chris, I am glad you are feeling better. Bummer about having to get a different AB but it sounds like it is working. I hope you can enjoy your yard even though you are not able to get out there and work in it like you may have done in the past. I am going to have to invest in something that will allow me to weed my flower beds while sitting. My yard looks pretty bad right now so I will have to get out there soon but more rain this week. It was a gorgeous day today and I wanted to soak it up while I could.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    Options

Such gorgeous photos, Nancy!

I'll jump in and recommend my very favorite gardening tool: the Craftsman Action Hoe. No getting down on knees, simply push and pull while standing and the weeding is done! It gets right up to borders and leaves the garden and flower beds neat and clean. Lowe's sells it for around 28 dollars, and it is the best gardening investment I've made in a long time.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thank you for your nice comments on my photos and for the recommendation. I will definitely check that gardening tool out!

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    Options

Nancy, gorgeous photos. It must be so nice to have your camera back.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thanks Carol. Some funny things happened in the woods but that is for another day!!! One of those not funny at the time things.

How are you doing?

Love,

Nancy